Foreign Ownership Of Property In Chiang Mai

CMHomeboy78

Reports out Monday quote the Ombudsman Siracha Charoenpanij as claiming that foreigners owned 33% of all land in the Realm.

That estimate was challenged by Wason Khongchantr, director of Modern Property Consultants who said the figure was less than 5%.

Have any estimates ever been made for Chiang Mai?

The 33% figure sounds inflated even when the use of Thai nominees is taken into consideration.

But it's not impossible in parts of the country where the numbers of farang married to Thais is high.

Any Chiang Mai specific thoughts on this?

Absolutely ridiculous even for Pattaya and Phuket. Country-wide I'd even consider 5% wildly high, unless non-Thai Asian companies have been buying up farmland.

And of course I don't count Chinese-Thais as foreigners, I'm sure he was spouting his nonsense referring to nationality rather than "ethnicity", which isn't really possible to define scientifically.

There was a story out a few days ago that said the goverment was talking about raising the foreign ownership percentage in condominiums to 70% from 49%... or whatever it is now.

If that goes through, which it probably will, the actual foreign ownership will be as close to 100% as makes no difference.

At least that will make it easier to calculate demographics.

But however you figure it I think we're a long way from 33%.

There may have been some motive for quoting such a grossly inflated figure.

There was a story out a few days ago that said the goverment was talking about raising the foreign ownership percentage in condominiums to 70% from 49%... or whatever it is now.

If that goes through, which it probably will, the actual foreign ownership will be as close to 100% as makes no difference.

Farang-only ownership and or occupation of condominium buildings and moo-bahns might not be such a bad thing.

It would further reduce the often contentious interaction between them and local Thais.

The farangs who are overwhelming Chiang Mai at present are totally incapable of integrating or assimilating in any meaningful way. They just don't have the background. And even if they did, their sheer numbers would preclude it.

Middle-class mediocrities who are trying to re-establish lifestyles shattered by mass third-world immigration and the resulting economic and social decline in their own countries. They can't afford to live the way they used to anymore. So they come here.

And the retirees... old farts who have spent their lives as wage-slaves in mind-numbing jobs are suddenly emancipated into a country they were only vaguely aware of until recently.

The easy avaliability of girls on the game to entertain these old goats makes a "Blue Angel" scenario almost inevitable.

Given this situation the 100% ownership solution would be to everyones advantage.

Can I "half-like" this?

Farang-only ownership and or occupation of condominium buildings and moo-bahns might not be such a bad thing.

It would further reduce the often contentious interaction between them and local Thais.

The farangs who are overwhelming Chiang Mai at present are totally incapable of integrating or assimilating in any meaningful way. They just don't have the background. And even if they did, their sheer numbers would preclude it.

Middle-class mediocrities who are trying to re-establish lifestyles shattered by mass third-world immigration and the resulting economic and social decline in their own countries. They can't afford to live the way they used to anymore. So they come here.

And the retirees... old farts who have spent their lives as wage-slaves in mind-numbing jobs are suddenly emancipated into a country they were only vaguely aware of until recently.

The easy avaliability of girls on the game to entertain these old goats makes a "Blue Angel" scenario almost inevitable.

Given this situation the 100% ownership solution would be to everyones advantage.

Can I "half-like" this?

No.

That would imply that you only had half a brain. And, or, your virility was impaired by having only one testicle.

But presuming that you are of sound mind and scrotum, I will try to explain my apparent animus toward farangs. My own people.

I first came here in the 1970's when Chiang Mai was, by broad agreement, a truly beautiful place.

At that time a farang settling here had to live among Thais, to one extent or another, almost by necessity. There weren't many other options unless you had a lot of money.

Sure, there were always exceptions. Farangs who led a life apart. But they had their own organizations and peer support.

Religious, goverment, and corporate people cut off from the culture and frequently acting like a**holes out of ignorance.

This expat lifestyle has now become the norm with western tastes being catered to on every conceivable level.

The city has been transformed to accomodate foreigners.

It's true that Thais, especially the younger ones participate with alacrity. Their own culture being something they only practice and honour occasionly.

Only the more perceptive and intelligent among them have any idea of what they've lost.

R.I.P. Chiang Mai.

• Like 2

Can I "half-like" this?

No.

That would imply that you only had half a brain. And, or, your virility was impaired by having only one testicle.

But presuming that you are of sound mind and scrotum, I will try to explain my apparent animus toward farangs. My own people.

I first came here in the 1970's when Chiang Mai was, by broad agreement, a truly beautiful place.

At that time a farang settling here had to live among Thais, to one extent or another, almost by necessity. There weren't many other options unless you had a lot of money.

Sure, there were always exceptions. Farangs who led a life apart. But they had their own organizations and peer support.

Religious, goverment, and corporate people cut off from the culture and frequently acting like a**holes out of ignorance.

This expat lifestyle has now become the norm with western tastes being catered to on every conceivable level.

The city has been transformed to accomodate foreigners.

It's true that Thais, especially the younger ones participate with alacrity. Their own culture being something they only practice and honour occasionly.

Only the more perceptive and intelligent among them have any idea of what they've lost.

R.I.P. Chiang Mai.

A "Blue Angel" scenario....really. I think I studied that in history, ancient history at that. If you are that old, and have been here in CM that long then I am sorry that others are now getting to enjoy themselves here. How dare they. CM should have stayed your own private fifedom.

Meanwhile back at the OP. Some media reports are including residential land owned by a Thai spouse in the calculation which is patently absurd but would no doubt give CM a higher percentage. Take it for what it is, a nationalistic national enquirer type piece that seeks not to inform but feed prejudice. Will be forgotten about, but dragged up again and again with the only alteration a simple date change.

Edited by mamborobert
  • Like 2

The "Blue Angel" reference was to a classic 1930 German film by Josef Von Sternberg.

The plot is about a respected professor who becomes besotted with Lola [Marlene Dietrich] a cheap nightclub dancer who subquently degrades him in various ways until he loses everything and becomes a cabaret clown.

I've seen similar things play out in a Thai context so often that I couldn't resist using it as a metaphor.

The "Blue Angel" reference was to a classic 1930 German film by Josef Von Sternberg.

The plot is about a respected professor who becomes besotted with Lola [Marlene Dietrich] a cheap nightclub dancer who subquently degrades him in various ways until he loses everything and becomes a cabaret clown.

I've seen similar things play out in a Thai context so often that I couldn't resist using it as a metaphor.

Do you have any stories to tell about old trolls and young Thai girls?

I'm all ears!

Do you have any stories to tell about old trolls and young Thai girls?

I'm all ears!

For that I might have to delve into the "personal" archive, and I'd rather not go there.

Considering that there have been farangs swarming into Chiang Mai over the last 5 years, I would guess that the majority are buying up land and property in the names of their Thai pseudonyms, wholesale.

Of course these actions place us all under suspect and ripe for investigation by the Thai authorities.

The problem is that many are told by their mates; why not jump onto the bandwagon and go to live Chiang Mai, it`s cheap and you could purchase land, property, run your own business without any problems, because no one cares, the authorities will turn a blind eye, the laws are never enforced and no one will notice.

That may have been acceptable on a small scale, but it now appears the situation is getting out of hand and the powers that be plus the general Thai communities of Chiang Mai are beginning to open their eyes and notice.

Sooner rather than later those who break and bend the laws of Thailand are going to feel the wrath of the Thai authorities, including those of Chiang Mai, especially if this trend continues, which I have no doubts it will.

Observe, those who live or work or both outside the statues of the law in Chiang Mai, because not only do you stand to lose your illegal investments and assets, but those who abide by the laws here will also be more inconvenienced and drawn into the plot by the actions of others.

Guilty. And great post.

I agree with most of your post, but what you suggest regarding 100% ownership of land and property in Thailand would be a disaster.

Firstly, it could transpire with the country becoming saturated with farangs who are considered poor or medicos in their home countries, but well off according to Thai standards and being able to out compete the Thais with the purchase of land and property in prime city locations and in the rural provinces, in fact creating farang areas totally non integrated and segregated from the Thai communities, with the inevitably result of pushing up land values and the eventual spread of farangs to other areas, again pushing out the Thais who could not financially compete with them.

Then this would lead to more farang orientated businesses, perhaps owned by farangs to accommodate them, again pushing up prices and in many cases in direct competition with the Thais.

This would lead to a huge strain on the tolerance levels of the Thais towards us, with too many Western influences and extreme culture clashes between the Thai and farang communities.

This may work in some countries but would not be practical in Thailand or some other third world countries I would think for obvious reasons. It would be a scenario where the economic refugees are wealthier than the majority of the native popular. Like the Burmese situation in reverse.

I sincerely hope this never happens, much prefer to be the novelty farang and live at peace in the unique Kingdom of Thailand.

How dare they. CM should have stayed your own private fifedom. What a stup[id remark. It is absolutely true that CM was a much nicer place for expats around 20 years back than it is now. Maybe it has a lot to do with the ones that can only stay here with massive visa runs across the border to be legal trying to live like there still in their homeland, or not appreciating the great Lanna culture.

The younger ones in Chiangmai have no idea how beautiful and nice this place was. Having said that, it's a free country and everyone is free to make Chiangmai whatever it will be in the future.

Edited by Lifer