Do You Have To Carry A Passport Everywhere?

LiamEuujin

I always keep the passport in the hotel safe but carry a laminated photocopy of the passport picture page. I get it sized down to a credit card size so it fits in my wallet. Nevet been asked to produce my passport mind you except for when renting a moped.

• Like 1

I never carry mine,although I always carry a photo copy of my visa page and the picture information page as well as carrying UK photo ID.

There is a previous thread covering this topic here.

Sorry for the post. Didnt see the original topic. Thanks!

A somewhat contentious topic:

As I understand it the law states that you must provide ID with a photo within a ‘reasonable’ time frame.

This reasonable time frame is obviously open to interpretation by the police. The Photo ID is often interpreted as being a passport by the police, who being flexible generally accept any ID with a Photo (so long as its not a fake ID).

Carrying your passport at all times is impractical. For most, a Thai Driving license is the ideal solution. For many, a laminated photo copy of their passport is the best option.

In 99% of situations the intention to comply with any sort of Photo ID would be more than sufficient in the event of a spot check.

you are "supposed" to but in practice in any situation you will be given time to retrive it if it is in your hotel or elsewhere (with a bike rental bloke for example).

in some cases a drivers licence is sufficient and i agree that the laminated copy of the picture page sized to wallet is a good idea.

Technically you have to carry id, which for foreigners means a passport. In reality no one is ever likely to ask, and at worst you'd pay an on the spot fine or take him back to your hotel or home where you keep it. I've been randomly stopped and searched by the police on the street before, and never were they interested in me not having my passport, only if I had drugs or not. In the unlikely event they want to see your passport they are either going to want to go back to your place to check it (unlikely) or are looking for a bribe. You can make a photocopy and carry that, it should be enough for anyone not looking for cash

It's not really enforced, unless you are already a bad boy in their eyes such as being a suspected over-stayer.

Technically you can be taken back to the police station and have to pay a small fine, but there's no tea money in it for them so they don't really care or bother.

In six years of living in Pattaya, I have never once been asked for it by the police, even when stopped many many times driving my car.

My local immigration office told me that I do not need to carry my passport as my Thai driving license is sufficient to id me.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

thats because the numbers on your licence is your passport number

i keep my passport in a safe deposit box in the bank with some other important documents

i use my driving licence to rent things ,make bank transcations ,stay in hotels and for identification to the police

never had a problem ,although in kao san rd you may be asked for your passport because overstayers congreate there amidst the

cheap beer and accomodation

My local immigration office told me that I do not need to carry my passport as my Thai driving license is sufficient to id me.

i keep my passport in a safe deposit box in the bank with some other important documents

i use my driving licence to rent things ,make bank transcations ,stay in hotels and for identification to the police

never had a problem ,although in kao san rd you may be asked for your passport because overstayers congreate there amidst the

SCB would not accept my Thai DL (with passport number on it) as ID to let me do a wire transfer from my account with the bank book and ATM card in hand. They forced me to go home a retrieve my passport stating it was the "bank's" policy.

Other than that, my Thai DL has worked for me all over Thailand even when flying domestic and checking into hotels.

I carry a laminated copy with me wherever I go. Seems to be accepted. I have never been stopped by the police and asked to show ID. When I hire motorcycles I now leave my laminated copy of passport and security deposit with the business.

SCB would not accept my Thai DL (with passport number on it) as ID to let me do a wire transfer from my account with the bank book and ATM card in hand. They forced me to go home a retrieve my passport stating it was the "bank's" policy.

Other than that, my Thai DL has worked for me all over Thailand even when flying domestic and checking into hotels.

there is two branches of bkk bank in fortune tower

one on the third floor and a mini sized booth at ground floor LOTUS

The mini one does not accept my thai licence and the old lady gets very stroppy when i tell her it is acceptable identification

she tried to tel me only thais can use a licence ,farangs must have passport

I got so fcuked off with her antics once i went upstairs and borrowed a staff member to come down and explain the rules to her

major loss of face for her im sure not knowing her own job and being embarrassed in front of the other staff :) and now i take pleasure in handing her my licence ,making her photocopy it and process my transactions like she is getting paid to do instead of sitting at the counter with a smug look and an attitude problem .........

som num na :D

• Like 1

I always carry my Swiss ID card with me which has credit card format and is an official government document and can be hidden fairly well from being stolen (much more difficult for passports). Passport stays in the room safe.

Why? I think it is always a good idea (even in my own country) to have an official ID with you in case you get into trouble, whether self inflicted or inflicted by somebody else... and also in case I would have an accident (i.e. run over by a car), at least I can be identified and the Embassy can be notified immediately. There was a huge story here in Switzerland about a citizen who died in the Phillipines and because of lack of documents, he was in a morgue for three months (!!) until he was incidently found and identified by his parents...

"thats because the numbers on your licence is your passport number"

At least until you get a new passport with a different number.

I carry a Thai DL plus a US Passport Card.

my lost passport was replaced with a new passport with the exact same number

anyway ,a licence is only valid for 5 years ,then theyle want to see your passport to make another one

also just because your new passport may have a differnt number ,your old number can still be traced back to you

should you do anything illegal

Yes they can legally arrest you.

But as has been said many times here they do not always enforce it and when they do you have a reasonable amount of time to produce it.

I myself carry a laminated copy of my passport and entry card. ,But when I am flying in country I use my passport at the check in counters. No one seems to have said munch about when flying say from here in Chiang Mai to Bangkok. Will your drivers license work there.