Mountain Land Checking Going On Right Now

stevehaigh

the top guys from the land department in bangkok are here at the moment, checking everything on a mountain or a slope of more than 35 degrees. police are out on every light this morning on Jao Faa to keep the dignitaries moving. ch7 news had a big story about it last night and they are even using news helicopters to locate building sites.

so if you are building something on a mountain side at the moment, better cover it up with a lot of camouflage

I think you'll find that the ordinary peasants, such as ourselves have nothing to worry about.

It will be top officials and businessmen that will be sweating.

Only people with "influence" will have managed to convert public land to private land and/or got "official" permission to build over the 80 metre mark.

I think you'll find that the ordinary peasants, such as ourselves have nothing to worry about.

Only people with "influence" will have managed to convert public land to private land and/or got "official" permission to build over the 80 metre mark.

true, you need a lot (i.e. multi-millions) to get the under the table upgrades in the first place

when we got land here, we made sure the chanoht was more than 20 years old and was never in a company name

I would not be so sure about that. If they had enough influence to get the land, they still have this influence today, but now they have even more money to get their way out of the problem.

Yesterday on the tv news they were talking about people living on restricted pieces of land for about 30 years, and that they had already begun to destroy their houses. By the looks of it, it was real peasant homes. I'm not sure we will see in the near future bulldozers coming to destroy some phuket major or ex governor mansion/resort...

Saw a helicopter hovering over my house off Phrabaramee Rd. in Patong yesterday. Might have been taking photo's of the new road on top of the hill (opposite the light on Sai Kor Road) that was halted recently.

Original road was built about 3 - 4 years ago and provided a connection to Soi 3. Road built to a high standard. Drainage on both sides of the road, sidewalks, and street lights all the way to the top. My thoughts were that the owner of the land wanted to improve access (no brainer). But as of today, no real development. A few very small houses and a single villa project that seems to have gone bust. Nothing going on up top until this new road started last month.

what about the eyesore development at the very top of samakea 4 in rawai ..head up past the Le Celtique look up on the hill .... that has to be illegal surely ???

I've been up there and it's close.There's one piece of land for sale behind and above said houses and I called the owner and asked about height, and was assured it was below 80 metres. Same thing I'd say when I wanted 20+ million per rai.

lol me too....yes originally the village chief owned that land , he still lives just above it all in a small shack at the very end of the concrete .. to me the lower development may have just been safe , but now on top of the hill you have two completed and another underway they are way above the limit imo

my wife's village in Phetchboon is close to a place called Khao Kor, also know as the Switzerland of Thailand. anyhow, apparently they have already bulldozed a couple of resorts that were built on land that was given to army guys for farming only, not for sale

sounds like the gov is getting serious about shady land practices