Bangkok BTS Apologises For Guard's Clash With Irish Passenger

webfact

Helium not hydrogen is the way forward.

Good point!! The balloons had to have been filled with helium, which is an inert gas. Guards totally in the wrong for stopping him. Wonder if anyone tried explaining this to the guards, or if they have even thought about it?

Had to have been filled with helium? How do you know that? No one knows if it was helium. in a country where the quality of medical gas is not even assured, you are going to assume that some guy walking around with balloons has helium in them? What part of no balloons allowed on the system do you not understand? The argument the man used is that he was let on previously, so he should be let on again. Brilliant logic. That is the same as saying, because one was able to do 70kmh in a 20kmh school zone, one should be able to keep on doing that.

Yes it is wrong there was an altercation, but the man was a fool for getting into a fight with the staff. He's got no one to blame but himself and he will find that the courts will side with the guards. How does anyone expect the guards were going to prevent this man from bringing the balloons into the system? In a world where terrorists use children to carry bombs, and where terrorists will assume the attire and appearance of "safe" people, no one knows what a terrorist or a nutter looks like anymore. The classic was Timmy McVeigh. Clean cut, and non threatening and yet he made a building go kaboom slaughtering hundreds. In Iraq, normal looking women walk into markets and go kaboom. In Spain, normal looking people got on the subway and it went kaboom. In Tokyo, normal looking people let off poisonous gas in the subway system.

So, are there signs posted that balloons are prohibited? Never noticed them if there are. If there are no signs (school zones are marked btw and only an idiot would endanger the life of children by speeding through one) and nobody prohibits him on previous occasions that same day, that same train, how is he supposed to divine the the knowledge that balloons are prohibited? Even you GK--whether by intent or Freudian slip--recognize this in your comment, "How does anyone expect the guards were going to prevent this man from bringing the balloons into the system?" You are correct. How would he expect the guards to prevent a customary behavior of that day? It would require a change of policy from the norm he had experienced.

You point about terrorists and suicide bombers must not have taken into consideration one of the posts above that alluded to guards never asking to inspect backpacks or other carry-ons or women's burkas with nothing but two eye holes showing. Tim McVeigh was not a 7 year old with party ballons accompanied by her father. Haven't seen the video but according to your comments the little girl or her father must have been trying to bring a Ryder truck filled with ammonium nitrate fertilzer onto the BTS, or wearing clothes or carrying a backpack that would conceal a bomb.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, you don't have to be an experienced cop to imagine what has happened. I'd have said that two Mormons were trying to attack the security guards with bibles.

But after reading the post and watching the movie made by their friend, I've read that the two guys were teachers?

This guy was obviously bleeding before and his behavior looks like he'd drank a lot. Understandable after his daughter's graduation from Kindergarten....

Typical misbehavior for drunk Thai teachers, but okay if consumed alcohol was at least "Regency" or "Black Label."

You can also see that his friend had to hold him as he wanted to beat the shit out of the security freak.

Roughly said, I do believe that "teachers" -at least those from a country near Europe- should be much more calm when living and working in an ASEAN member country.

What would happen to a Thai if he/she'd do the same in an Irish coffee bar?..................jap.gif

another great TV member insight...may I suggest next time you visit the bathroom have a quick look in the medicine cabinet

• Like 1

What are the chances of a lighter exploding while it's one's pocket, mate???

Exploding? A cheap Chinese Gas lighter exploded in my pocket once in an Internet Cafe, but only the Gas came out in a split second, no fire, but a bad funny smell.giggle.gif So the chance, slim, I think.

Never argue with a man in a uniform and a whistle in his mouth,......clap2.gif

They whistled more than once on me with uniforms, (Car park cowboys, ect) I only look, if they have a gun and decide than how I react!biggrin.png

I don't know what some of you looking at, but the video shows that he is bleeding at the start of the video when passing the gates.

This means the important stuff did happen before the gate and thats more or less public space with shops and a lot of people just crossing the road there.

Where is the footage of the camera that has the scene before, where the assault takes place and why does BTS not show that if they are so right ?

Must be a heavy blow if you look like that.

It means the video just shows the scene after he was hit and is bleeding, so show me one guy who stays cool if he is bleeding like that.

I bet this guy experienced something similar than I experienced years ago at a BTS station, way in front of the gates.

A guard approached me, calling me "Hey you" several times, than placing him in front of me and try to grab the white board I had with me.

Only thing he said was "No", when he was trying to take away my property.

He also did try to hit me when I was holding on to my white board and he just damaged the board instead my head.

Could manage to run away (without my white board) and get a taxi before the guy which was chasing me like I'm a criminal.

Thats how in my experience the BTS guards act and I would bet something similar did happen to the guy.

If that was really an assault started by the teacher, the BTS security video would be out immediately, showing the public what did happen.

Hiding it tells me something did happen before, that BTS doesn't like to show us.

• Like 2

Have I missed something, this thread is still going strong?

I thought the BTS had already apologized, fired the guard guilty of assault & reprimanded the other guards? Oh, they did.

So why are people still spouting all manner of BS about balloons, the Irish and drunk ferangs?!

It's pretty bloody obvious that BTS lawyers wouldn't allow them to make a formal apology if they had a leg to stand on in arguing that this wasn't entirely the fault of their employees.

Even more damning is the fact that they have CCTV footage of the entire incident which they won't release, also fairly bloody obviously at the advice of their lawyers because to release it would further incriminate their staff.

Moving along....

Edited by Ferangled
  • Like 2

Good points, however you must not have watched, or at least noticed the balloons as they do not have anything 'heavy' attached to them, and are tied together.

Being that the bunch of balloons do not float, and they have no stick would indicate that they are inert, standard air balloons. I highly doubt this teacher has any malicious intent.

I am not a conspiracy theorist like most on TV it seems, but rather a realist and do have an ounce of both education, and deductive reasoning.

People... watch the youtube video.. you will realize these are not hydrogen, or helium balloons. They are your run of the mill, air filled balloons. They don't float when dropped or thrown (as shown in the video).

Floating or dropping is somewhat irrelevant. Even if filled with hydrogen, the balloons could still fall if the combined weight of the actual balloon plus the weight of the shaft attached weighed MORE than the volumn of air displaced.

Basic physics guys. Not even rocket science. So the falling (or not) of the balloons does not offer proof of what they were filled with.

To me the Irish guy is way out of order,all that commotion, & violence in front of his young daughter,over a few balloons .A breatherlyser reading would have been interesting.

This sort of loutish behavior may be acceptable in Ireland, but certainly not in Thailand.I am very surprised BTS apologised.

This behaviour isn't acceptable in Ireland either...

Ditto

One interesting thing about this event is the amount of clamour it has caused in the Thai media, and with Thai people. Two days running lead story on channel 3 TV news, extensive debate on Sanook and other Thai websites, for what should have been just a minor interest story. During this week, I have chatted with various Thai friends, and the subject turns to this event. Each person was adamant about how wrong the farang acted.

Interesting. Culture wars. drunk.gif

I wonder what else people are banned from carrying on BTS?

I was thinking of popping down to patpong road markets and buying some sex toys.

I don't mind them being confiscated but i sure don't the video ending up on YouTube!

I thought the BTS had already apologized, fired the guard guilty of assault & reprimanded the other guards? Oh, they did.

So why are people still spouting all manner of BS about balloons, the Irish and drunk ferangs?!

It's pretty bloody obvious that BTS lawyers wouldn't allow them to make a formal apology if they had a leg to stand on in arguing that this wasn't entirely the fault of their employees.

Even more damning is the fact that they have CCTV footage of the entire incident which they won't release, also fairly bloody obviously at the advice of their lawyers because to release it would further incriminate their staff.

Moving along....

You have to understand that this thread appears to be going along the lines of the infamous April 1st thread last year regarding 50 year farangs not being allowed with marry Thai women....even faced with the truth and being told it was a joke, Certain TV members refused to believe it and carried on ranting and raving....

• Like 1

Moving along....

You have to understand that this thread appears to be going along the lines of the infamous April 1st thread last year regarding 50 year farangs not being allowed with marry Thai women....even faced with the truth and being told it was a joke, Certain TV members refused to believe it and carried on ranting and raving....

It's infectious, I keep finding myself coming back to check out the latest moronic slant posted on the fairy tale that this is fast becoming... please someone, close this thread or ban me from posting on it anymore!

Explosive gas-filled balloons, terrorist thwarting guards wielding scanners, 7 year olds plotting the next big thing in world terror acts with inflatable toys... it's all far too much for my frail sensibilities to handle!

To me the Irish guy is way out of order,all that commotion, & violence in front of his young daughter,over a few balloons .A breatherlyser reading would have been interesting.

This sort of loutish behavior may be acceptable in Ireland, but certainly not in Thailand.I am very surprised BTS apologised.

1. I did not see any actual violence. Pushing and shoving ..yes.

2. Don't assume because he is Irish a breathalyser would be necessary.

3. Ireland may be down but we are not out. We don't behave as you suggest in Ireland. Evident by the violent protests in France, Greece, Spain and others. We aven't despite taking a horrendous hammering that would shake other countries to their core.

4. Guards in Ireland have a brain and they use it. We don't harrass visitors to our country. We go out of our way to please and accomodate our guests. We are famous world wide for our hospitality.

Behind each Thai smile is an angry Thai.

Not keeping low profile in such a racist third world country is stupid (carrying that pink phallus like object I would have taken the taxi anyway), but hitting somebody on his head is ciriminal, especially if done by a guard who should be appropriately trained.

For our teachers sake stupidity is not criminal. And lack of etiquette and consideration for others does not warrant being hit on ones head.

And now I will complain to BTS security about the bikes at rush hour in the trainslicklips.gif.

• Like 1

here is the link to the site that originally aired the video.

www.andrew-drummond.com/view-story.php?sid=527

this contains the eyewitness account of the woman who filmed it. Also on the homepage is an interview with the victim.

It should help some of you ignorant keyboard warriors humanise the guy.

PLEASE, before Posting, read the statement of the eyewitness in the LINK www.andrew-drummond.com/view-story.php?sid=527

she says, the BTS Guy used rude words and hit the Falang on the head (Eye). The Falang had his hand full with plastic bags and balloons.

So the assault with strong aftereffects, bleeding, blue, green eye-I saw it on TV, one more head and small leg injury had been done by the BTS guard in overstepping his right to self defense and enforcing the BTS guidelines/

We now have people contending that the Irishman was assaulted BEFORE there was a disagreement over the balloons. I don't understand that. Why would the guard give him a walloping BEFORE the discussion about the balloons. Can somebody explain why that would have happened for me. If it was me and I'd been roughed up, I'd be doing exactly as the guard asked thereafter, not getting up his nose by refusing to hand over the balloons.

Edited by F4UCorsair

It doesn't matter what the balloons were filled with. If one were to explode on a crowded train or in a station, it could cause people to panic thinking it was a gun shot or other explosive, and possible cause a stampede and injury. Not all rules and laws in Thailand make sense, but the no balloon rule makes perfect sense to me.

My young daughter had a balloon taken away on the MRT a couple of years ago, somehow never grew emotionally attached to it and got over it by the time she got through the turnstile.

I think that anyone who's lived here more than a few months knows getting irate in a situation like that in Thailand, in public, is not going to come out in your favor. No offense to the security guards, but they weren't hired for having the mental capacity to make judgement calls in cases like that, deciding that Behan's balloons weren't most likely NOT going to be used in a terroristic manner, especially given the fact his daughter was right there with him.

They are told "no flammables" and then follow the rules, regardless. I know, I've been stopped for trying to carry rubber cement once and another time engine cleaner. Once just took the bus home because I was only a few stops away. The other, I beg and pleaded, in Thai, to let me on, the canisters were sealed, etc... No joy! Frustrated, I just left the cans on his little table and walked into the station.

I feel sorry for Behan, but from the video, he was getting hostile with them, and they were following the rules, technically.

But I want to pose a question: Why not just confiscate people's lighters (and matches) ?? Or at a minimum, follow the rules completely, Nothing quite as flammable as a cigarette lighter! Makes it tough to set other flammable materials on fire with out a fire source.

How about patting everyone down before entrance to check for flammables?? Strip searches??

Funny thing about this incident is that the MRT checks my bag every time, but I've never had my bag checked on the BTS, granted I don't use it that often.

So, just to be clear, the guards are so concerned about the safety of the passengers they refuse entrance to someone carrying balloons, but let anyone with a bag on their back carry whatever they want onto the trains?? And don't stop people from bringing highly flammable lighters as well??

I think all these security measures are just another example of how the "powers that be" want to give the public the appearance of safety, when in reality they only inconvenience, unnecessarily, the public they are trying to protect, and doing that without really adding any additional security. And this is not a problem exclusive to this country, but have become pervasive throughout the world.

I disagree with you....I think the guards were totally in the right to ask him not to carry ballons on the train on board...and for me, I wish they didn't allow backpacks, at least the ones that the jerk off back packers carry on their backs not caring if they shove them in your face. The safer the skytrain is for me the happier I am. It won't be long brfore an extremist from the south will decide to blow up the skytrain, then idiots like you and this guy may learn a lesson. He could of taken a cab if he wanted those dam balloons. We all have to give sometimes and if those balloons were so damned important then he should of walked or taken a bus. It was obvious to me he was out of control and he makes the rest of us look bad. However, not that it would of made a difference in this case but, Anat's business decision not to put more fluent speakers on the SkyTrian is a testoment to his enablitity to manage properly....Oh! wait minute this is Thailand, they don't care what is right. Most countries that boast so much about tourism would have a native speaker around to help hammer out these problems. Futher more it's nice to know that the cops got there so quicklly.....oh ! once again...I am sorry to say I made a mistake....There weren't any cops.....The cops should be there with in 5 minutes, or less.

Helium not hydrogen is the way forward.

Good point!! The balloons had to have been filled with helium, which is an inert gas. Guards totally in the wrong for stopping him. Wonder if anyone tried explaining this to the guards, or if they have even thought about it?

Had to have been filled with helium? How do you know that? No one knows if it was helium. in a country where the quality of medical gas is not even assured, you are going to assume that some guy walking around with balloons has helium in them? What part of no balloons allowed on the system do you not understand? The argument the man used is that he was let on previously, so he should be let on again. Brilliant logic. That is the same as saying, because one was able to do 70kmh in a 20kmh school zone, one should be able to keep on doing that.

Yes it is wrong there was an altercation, but the man was a fool for getting into a fight with the staff. He's got no one to blame but himself and he will find that the courts will side with the guards. How does anyone expect the guards were going to prevent this man from bringing the balloons into the system? In a world where terrorists use children to carry bombs, and where terrorists will assume the attire and appearance of "safe" people, no one knows what a terrorist or a nutter looks like anymore. The classic was Timmy McVeigh. Clean cut, and non threatening and yet he made a building go kaboom slaughtering hundreds. In Iraq, normal looking women walk into markets and go kaboom. In Spain, normal looking people got on the subway and it went kaboom. In Tokyo, normal looking people let off poisonous gas in the subway system.

where are all the crazy looking terrosists tho, that's what I wanna know!

Just wait until you piss someone off......you'll understand when it all blows up in your face. Anyone your standing next can turn into a terrorist if they get pissed off enough...I would guess we will see it happen in Bangkok one day with them using the Skytrain or the Subway.. The ability for them to detect something here is very slim. I am just glad I don't have to use the skytrain much anymore...everytime I get on it...I have to look at everyone around me and everyone getting on the train...which is totally impossible nor would I even know what to look for....like you. But I would like to send you to the Middle East maybe you can find your answer there..

Edited by oops

According to the video/testimonies (unverified) posted, they claim that the farang did a choking grip on the guard's neck. That's when the guard clubbed him with the metal detector and gave him a bloodied face.

The BTS stations have a video surveillance system covering the ticket counter and gate areas...where all this occurred. The authorities should be able to see a full video record (unlike the partial posting here on ThaiVisa) of the encounter, from beginning to end... No audio though...

That ought to pretty clearly show what led to the guy getting hit in the head. I haven't seen it, of course. But I'd tend to doubt that the BTS security guard hit the guy in the head without some considerable provocation. The guy's behavior on the partial video posted here is certainly suggestive of that.

Actually you really wouldn't need any audio for this one...it's pretty obvious he was being asked not to bring the balloons on the skytrain.....he was with his daughter and he is a teacher...I am sorry his daughter had to see his ignorance...and now all of Thailand.....what do you want to be he will loose his job next....?