Should I Do It

joey88tc

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not read the topic but please be very careful assuming that your pension and social security will be there in full. Either the US government is going to have to devalue the dollar (and your pension/SS as the dollar loses value) or they will have to cut pensions/benefits as we are seeing in Europe. Good luck whatever you decide.

Wanted to stay thank you for all the thoughts and information...The figures i planed on would have been for august of this year...You all have filled my head with alot of usefull views and information....I will try to stick it out longer past that date.....It seems that alot of people were ok with the 2k a month but everyone wanted me to have better cash reserves......I will set my new goal for 75k in reserves and the 2k a month in income....But if things get worse i will move over earlier and make the best with what i got....So much is based about living within your means and being a realist........

• Like 2

Wanted to stay thank you for all the thoughts and information...The figures i planed on would have been for august of this year...You all have filled my head with alot of usefull views and information....I will try to stick it out longer past that date.....It seems that alot of people were ok with the 2k a month but everyone wanted me to have better cash reserves......I will set my new goal for 75k in reserves and the 2k a month in income....But if things get worse i will move over earlier and make the best with what i got....So much is based about living within your means and being a realist........

Well done. Good Luck.

different strokes for different folks....I dont see why an able body Man would want to retire @ forty-something...if you dont like your job why not change job. do something you like other than coming to waste your life here...your call though.

different strokes for different folks....I dont see why an able body Man would want to retire @ forty-something...if you dont like your job why not change job. do something you like other than coming to waste your life here...your call though.

Why would it be wasting his life coming to Thailand?

For him, it could be saving his life.

Every bit helps.

A few more years of hellish drudgery = A reward of 30+ years of comfortable happy living. :thumbsup:

You said you have been taking, on average, 3-4 trips a year to Thailand, so at lest you have these to keep you sane and remind you of your goal.

Good luck.

Joey, whatever way you go, good luck. It is good to see that you have taken onboard some of the advice given, and personally I think you have made the correct financial decision. Bendix does talk sense and maybe he is too sensible for some here on TV!

I don't know if the following points have been raised but this is what I would look at and try to remember if you are moving here:

1. Visiting Thailand and living here full time are different in so many ways; don't commit until you are happy with your situation.

2. If you are not seeking employment, make sure that you have a hobby or some other sensible distraction. Otherwise your distractions could be the bars/go-go's, etc. Hell, you could even be addicted to TV!

3. Don't rush things! If you are considering building/buying a house, make sure you are completely comfortable with your location. Do yourself a big favour and rent first, just hang back a bit.

4. I see that you have visited Thailand quite a few times; don't think that you know everything. Make friends with the locals and don't forget that the different areas of Thailand (North, South, East/Isaan and all the commercial areas) have slightly different ways of doing things. Ie, not all rules apply equally across the nation.

None of the above are meant in any way to put you off your decision, they are only points of common sense.

Hope to hear from you when you move across,and keep your head down until you do.

• Like 2

I think that is a very sensible decision you have taken and I wish you can find another job outside the prison sector that will ease your pressure from your current work. Good luck for you and your plans

I dont see why an able body Man would want to retire @ forty-something...if you dont like your job why not change job. do something you like other than coming to waste your life here.

Speak for Yourself,I enjoy "wasting " my life here :)

sure is cheaper than wasting it in a western country !

• Like 2

I dont see why an able body Man would want to retire @ forty-something...if you dont like your job why not change job. do something you like other than coming to waste your life here.

Speak for Yourself,I enjoy "wasting " my life here smile.png

sure is cheaper than wasting it in a western country !

Well said, maybe talk2sam feels wasting his time here. He is free to waste anywhere else. ;)

I generally agree with those who say the money won't go far.. It's a nest egg that should be invested in a way that it will grow and only be used in emergency. An investment might be in educating oneself to earn more, or to buy somewhere to live. Using it as a pot of cash will burn it up and before long it will be gone and you'll be wishing you still had it. And any sudden need of medical care will burn it up doubly quick. And after all those years risking your life in the company of bad people, you don't want to find yourself with nothing to show for it.

Another reality check, folks. The OP has more money in retirement savings at his age than the vast majority of his countrymen. He also is due for TWO pension streams, much rarer than it used to be for Americans. I agree, try to preserve/invest it. It isn't objectively much for the long term but he is lucky to have the decent pension streams coming later.

Edited by Jingthing

Another reality check, folks. The OP has more money in retirement savings at his age than the vast majority of his countrymen. He also is due for TWO pension streams, much rarer than it used to be for Americans. I agree, try to preserve/invest it. It isn't objectively not much for the long term but he is lucky to have the decent pension streams coming later.

Are the pensions streams coming from the state? I seem to remember Obama having to negotiate to borrow the money to fulfill the govt's commitments including pensions.. Maybe I got it wrong, but won't he be vulnerable to future economic problems?

Another reality check, folks. The OP has more money in retirement savings at his age than the vast majority of his countrymen. He also is due for TWO pension streams, much rarer than it used to be for Americans. I agree, try to preserve/invest it. It isn't objectively not much for the long term but he is lucky to have the decent pension streams coming later.

Are the pensions streams coming from the state? I seem to remember Obama having to negotiate to borrow the money to fulfill the govt's commitments including pensions.. Maybe I got it wrong, but won't he be vulnerable to future economic problems?

The sky is falling!crazy.gif (One state and one federal social security.)

Five years ago I was in a similar position, I was considering a half and half, ie Summer in U.K. and winter in Thailand, I bottled out for a few reasons, mainly at the back of my mind I had the feeling that living in Thailand and enjoying myself would be great, but would also be an empty life with nothing to show for it come reckoning day. also I had the feeling that after a while i would start to get very very bored and would end up drinking and womanising to the extend it might shorten my life.

In the end it proved the right decision for me in that I ended up getting married and have 2 wonderful children in falangland (not Thai related), however my mind does wander to Thailand, but only occasionally

Please note I'm not here to argue with people that live in Thailand and enjoy it, good for you, am simply explaining how I felt, if the poster finds it interesting then thats fine.

In the end I got married and have 2 wonderful children in falangland

• Like 1

Why should anyone work if they don't need to ???? it's just the big brother business telling us you need to work ...and why because they want you to buy into buying they produces...it's a western thing .......waste your time here now that's a joke from someone who can't relax....have you not realises they don't want you to stop working they just want you to keep spending your hard earned money buy they naff crap

• Like 1

Five years ago I was in a similar position, I was considering a half and half, ie Summer in U.K. and winter in Thailand, I bottled out for a few reasons, mainly at the back of my mind I had the feeling that living in Thailand and enjoying myself would be great, but would also be an empty life with nothing to show for it come reckoning day. also I had the feeling that after a while i would start to get very very bored and would end up drinking and womanising to the extend it might shorten my life.

In the end it proved the right decision for me in that I ended up getting married and have 2 wonderful children in falangland (not Thai related), however my mind does wander to Thailand, but only occasionally

Please note I'm not here to argue with people that live in Thailand and enjoy it, good for you, am simply explaining how I felt, if the poster finds it interesting then thats fine.

In the end I got married and have 2 wonderful children in falangland

Good post Kenneth, that is an honest viewpoint from the other side and should be respected.

• Like 1

Seriously, what is that supposed to mean? I asked a reasonable question.

Seriously, what is that supposed to mean? I asked a reasonable question.

Maybe I'm not a reasonable person. He's got the pensions coming later. 'Nuff said.

Of course the OP can afford a good health insurance too, with 54000b/month.

So he will be covered if any accidents happens. Can't see any problems here, he just want to live like the rest of us.

I think he mentioned that he was a federal worker so his pension will be accompanied by very good medical insurance for life.

No, a state worker. Not a federal worker. Not the same.

I would wager that his state sponsored health care program is not valid in Thailand. If anything, he will have to pay for medical treatment out of pocket, then file for reimbursement with his US health care provider. Then jump through hoops to get reimbursement due to the "usual and customary treatment and price" clauses in his policy. That or fly home in the event of a medical emergency.

You should google "State Unfunded Pension Liability".

Thats plenty, go for it.

But what are actually going to do here?

start by clearing my head out.......getting negativity out of my life

Do it. This is a good place. Sounds like you can avoid those bar girls places. The is more to life here than the bars, I tell you. if you are looking for long term happy relationship, would even suggest you avoid going for young girls in their early 20s, who are often out for money and shallow fun. Find someone in her 30+, preferably financially stable with a reasonable job, and looking for someone to spend her life with (and usually rather not have a Thai man, due to bad experience) . Even speaks reasonble English - more than enough for good communication. They are there, waiting,... I see them in my office.

• 8 months later...

Giving an update i will be retiring in march..........2,200 us a month for life and a social security payment of 1,000 when i hit 62.... It changed from my original post because i will stop working at 46 and the original quote was if i continued working until 62......

This is another wind up.

Not his join date and # of posts.

I can pick out the posts by th header and know with certainity that op has very low post # and know that some insipid long, winding question will be asked.

Mods should start researching these jokers.

Apparently your one of those people who act like you know everything and probably dosent have a clue...............I originally posted that question and i got some good response and i have also made a decision to give it a try in thailand........Since i understand i dont know everything that is all i will say to you...............to everyone else, once again thanks for the responses

If you have been here 25 times in 7 years I would have thought you would no more about what to do.

Its years until you reach 62 but only 3 years till you get $2k a month.

I would use these next 3 years to figure out where you want to live and continue to visit for holidays.

$2k US a month and you can live anywhere imo.

We live in Bkk in a new condo which is only 1 bedroom and very small but has everything we need for 20k baht a month. If you don't drink, (god I wish I didn't sometimes), then your money will last even in Bangkok. If you like it quieter start holidaying in quieter places like Khon Kaen maybe or Udon Thani where 60k Baht will go along way and you will not spend that unless you gamble it away.

If your so unhappy with your job do something else for 3 years until your money kicks in.

Feel free to message me if you need help. I am a few years older than you but in a similar predicament.