Car Batteries In Thailand

maphraw

This was a topic already posted but the last post was about 2 years ago. I have a Hodna City, about 20 months old adn the battery appears to be shot. I had to have it jumped this morning and I was in the middle of nowhere but fortunately a very gracious Thai couple stopped and helped my jump and charge it. What is the currect life span of car batteries in Thailand . Previous posts seem to imply that anything over two years and you are lucky. Can anyone suggest a reliable battery and where to buy one. My guess is that a honda dealer's battery will be more expensive than most shops. Or maybe the battery isn'y shot yet. I thought batteries last much longer than they used to.

Cheers

Interesting. I also have a Honda City, 3 years old in a couple months, and for about 6 months, I've felt the battery was going out. It would hesitate to turn over after restarting it. But then, in an effort to squeeze a little more life out, I tried shutting down both the radio and aircon each time, and that did it. At first, I thought it was a loose terminal wire, but I checked that.

Batteries are notoriously short-lived here, and I expect to replace mine soon. 20 months is a bit sooner than mine started acting up though.

That's funny. The people who helped me jump start said the same thing. They have a city as well and had similar problems as you did and I have been having a sluggish turnover before starting for the last few weeks. They said that when they stopped using their CD player and running air at maximum speed their battery was ok. They told me I probably don't need to get a new one yet. Does this mean I can't listen to radio or USB player anymore I wonder.

No, it just means you have to turn off the CD and air each time before turning off the car. Whenever I forget to do that, same problem, but otherwise, everything is fine. Today though I did notice it did it once even after turning off everything. You can get another 9 mos. to 1 year if you're willing to do that, which they say is mandatory for the older diesel trucks, etc..

I did a poll here and the average life was 2 years. Our daughters Chevy lasted 1 year from new.

Can't remember who wrote here that his lasted much longer cos he opens the hood when he gets home to release the heat, l have been doing the same.

Boliden is a sealed (but has a breather vent) Silver Calcium Battery that their website claims last 40% longer than the rest. It also has greater instant cranking power, and it has, my diesel really spins on start up and fires up in a fraction of a second. jap.gif

• Like 1

A friend of mine has a Honda City, and the battery retired after about 1 and a half years. He went to the local Honda Shop (Phuket) and had it checked. They told him it was a known problem of the City and they replaced the battery FOR FREE!

I did a poll here and the average life was 2 years. Our daughters Chevy lasted 1 year from new.

Can't remember who wrote here that his lasted much longer cos he opens the hood when he gets home to release the heat, l have been doing the same.

Boliden is a sealed (but has a breather vent) Silver Calcium Battery that their website claims last 40% longer than the rest. It also has greater instant cranking power, and it has, my diesel really spins on start up and fires up in a fraction of a second. jap.gif

It wasn't me, but (in Thailand) I've never had a truck or car battery that hasn't lasted at least four years. I don't lift the hood, by the way and I don't leave them on low charge when the truck or car isn't used. I've even left vehicles unattended for up to six months.

I don't know why this is. but I assure you, it is. The only variance that I see, when compared with many other folks on this forum, is that, I don't buy Japanese. How this would make any difference at all makes no sense to me, but there must be a difference somewhere.

It wasn't me, but (in Thailand) I've never had a truck or car battery that hasn't lasted at least four years. I don't lift the hood, by the way and I don't leave them on low charge when the truck or car isn't used. I've even left vehicles unattended for up to six months.

I don't know why this is. but I assure you, it is. The only variance that I see, when compared with many other folks on this forum, is that, I don't buy Japanese. How this would make any difference at all makes no sense to me, but there must be a difference somewhere.

In my 11 yrs. owning cars in Thailand, it's been true with all my cars. My Benz S class went through them every two years, and that was an expensive replacement. Similarly, my Vigo needed one too after two years+, but both those cars were in Phuket, where the weather is hotter consistently than where I now live.

In my 11 yrs. owning cars in Thailand, it's been true with all my cars. My Benz S class went through them every two years, and that was an expensive replacement. Similarly, my Vigo needed one too after two years+, but both those cars were in Phuket, where the weather is hotter consistently than where I now live.

I have no reason to doubt you, but paradoxically, I haven't experienced those issues with battery life in any vehicle.

My wife's C class was six years old when we traded it for a new model. It still had the original battery, at that time. During her ownership, that car was left unattended for a total of around three years, so for half it's life, it just sat around and it spent very little time in Phuket also.

Although not a car. I kept a bike at our place in Phuket for just over two years. During that time, it was used for around four months in the year. Last year we purchased a car there as the bike wasn't really practical. The bike is now at our main residence and the original battery is still going strong after more than three years

Given the number of vehicles we have (or have had) I struggle to understand why we haven't experienced the battery life issues, which so many have.

Maybe, it's because we don't use any one vehicle too much.

Horses for courses, had one on a new car, lasted just over one year and the replacement same battery type is now nearly three year and going strong, had a Nov' 2005 Vigo over five years and sold it with the oem battery and it's still going strong.

Wife mio scoot battery 1 year replaced with Japanese battery still going strong for 4 years, my honda scoot over five years has Japanese sealed battery still going strong. som naam na. rolleyes.gif

Edited by Kwasaki

Horses for courses, had one on a new car, lasted just over one year and the replacement same battery type is now nearly three year and going strong, had a Nov' 2005 Vigo over five years and sold it with the oem battery and it's still going strong.

Wife mio scoot battery 1 year replaced with Japanese battery still going strong for 4 years, my honda scoot over five years has Japanese sealed battery still going strong. som naam na. rolleyes.gif

Good to hear we're not alone in the reliable battery club. Reading this and earlier topics on the subject, I began to question reality.

Here's a collection of tips I am sure would not harm any battery!

* Routine maintenance is the secret. Recharging and discharging the battery as soon as possible to maintain its state of charge.

*Maintain voltage level. If possible, do a regular test on your car battery to keep the voltage level in check. Go to a reliable auto repair facility near you and ask for a battery testing. This will aid you to maintain the good condition and help enhance car battery life.

* Check your vehicles charging rate – over or under charging will ruin your battery.

*Never let a battery discharge below 10.5V.

* Recharging a battery at 80% state of charge to prevent sulphating (to cause a deposit of lead sulphate to form on the negative plates of a storage battery).

* Do not overcharge battery. Do not let battery overheat.

* Properly charging your battery in stages – Bulk charge for 90%, absorption charge for the last 10% and finally a float charge to keep battery fully charged.

* Only water the battery after charging not before.

* Put the vent caps on while charging to prevent water loss from gassing.

* Reduce battery depth of discharge.

* Be sure to turn off all of your car's electronics and other devices before shutting off the engine. Examples of what not to leave on include things like headlights, parking lights, interior lights, radio, windshield wipers, car alarm, gps navigation device, or any electronic music or video device. Not only can you drain your car battery, but you also risk damaging the car's electrical system if you start your car with these things turned on.

* Make sure your car battery is fully charged if you will not be driving it for a week or two. Don't drain your battery and then let it sit without having a chance to recharge by driving it around. You risk losing whatever charge may be left over the course of a couple weeks and your car may not start.

* Avoid corrosion. Clean your battery terminals and posts to avoid corrosion and deposits that could interrupt the flow of the battery's electrical current.

* Also have your auto technician tighten any loose cables on your car battery, and inspect the brackets. If the brackets are corroded, they should be replaced. Damaged brackets can allow the battery to move and vibrate, which can damage the car battery and surrounding parts. They should also check your car's drive belts, any damaged belts can prevent your battery from recharging properly and should be replaced.

* Use a battery disconnect switch to prevent power leakage from electrical appliances.

* Clean the battery container and terminals regularly.

* Check battery cells for water level. The fluid level of the battery should be checked once a month. The battery cell indicator will let you know if the water levels are low. If so, you can refill it with distilled water.

* Make sure not to overfill especially when you are riding the car in warmer temperatures as the natural fluid expansion can push excess liquids or electrolytes from the battery.

* Disconnect battery when not in use for a long period of time. If you are going for a trip overseas for at least 5 months and thus you will not be using the car, then it would be wise to disconnect the battery by unhooking the terminals.

* Routine maintenance is the secret. Recharging and discharging the battery as soon as possible to maintain its state of charge.

* Disconnect battery when not in use for a long period of time. If you are going for a trip overseas for at least 5 months and thus you will not be using the car, then it would be wise to disconnect the battery by unhooking the terminals.

I don't do any of what you suggest but some of it maybe OK for diesels and some older vehicles.

A regular service on the car will take care of the battery.

Recharging and discharging is done via the alternator.

To disconnect the battery is not a good idea on both counts because most ecu fuel injected cars would have to have a diagnostic reset done. smile.png

I don't do any of what you suggest but some of it maybe OK for diesels and some older vehicles.

To disconnect the battery is not a good idea on both counts because most ecu fuel injected cars would have to have a diagnostic reset done. smile.png

I didn't know that kwaks. huh.png

That was a comprehensive list of which one could choose whatever is applicable. The water level and the charging rate is the very basic!

"To disconnect the battery is not a good idea" - If the vehicle is not used for an extended period of time, keeping the battery connected WILL anyhow discharge it completely. Then a new battery + a diagnostic reset will have to be done, isn't it?

That was a comprehensive list of which one could choose whatever is applicable. The water level and the charging rate is the very basic!

"To disconnect the battery is not a good idea" - If the vehicle is not used for an extended period of time, keeping the battery connected WILL anyhow discharge it completely. Then a new battery + a diagnostic reset will have to be done, isn't it?

Hmmmm, my understanding is a completely discharged battery is the way to go. Re-charge on a trickle to wake it up, then charege. Job done.

Edited by transam

What kwaks? giggle.gif

What kwaks? giggle.gif

Kwaks my buddie. drunk.gif

It was a very good long list, yes, I was only pointing out something that people might not know, woosah !!

" keeping the battery connected WILL anyhow discharge it completely." not always depends on many things and how long your gonna leave it, and that is easily solve by investing in a gadget.

" Then a new battery " When you have a new battery fitted the one that is on it's way out, before disconnecting, the clamps are jump leaded to a separate battery, that way you don't have to get a remap which is needed on many cars if the battery goes flat.

Leaving a car for a long time doesn't just involve the Battery there is a host of other things to consider, the following is a pretty good guide.

http://www.theaa.com.../laying_up.html

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1

" keeping the battery connected WILL anyhow discharge it completely." not always depends on many things and how long your gonna leave it, and that is easily solve by investing in a gadget.

As you say, whether it will completely discharge is dependant on quite a few things. Normally in a good design,the fact that a battery may totally discharge is taken into consideration, and I can't think of a manufacturer who doesn't do this.

However, after market fitmen designs and/or how they are connected within the vehicles circuit is a different matter. Don't be surprised, if some after market fitments, subsequently fail as a direct result of a total (or partial) battery discharge. Don't be surprised if there are secondary failures elsewhere, also.

Use of Incorrect relays, or logic gates (for the desired application) is quite common).

• Like 1

Been through several batteries here and they never seem to last more than a couple years, +,- a few months. I had to replace the battery in the Honda 2 weeks ago, it died at a bank parking lot. Mad dash to get a battery before they closed the gates. From now on, I'm changing every 2 years whether it needs it or not. Too much of a hassle being stuck while waiting for a battery to show up. Good thing about LOS is its easy to get a motorbike taxi and get a ride back to your car with a new battery.

And....I've wondered why there are not 48-60 month batteries here. Asking at a shop they just say we don't have. Been to several shops and they all have the same 2 year battery range, and cost more than a 48 month battery back in the States. Ok rant over....

Been through several batteries here and they never seem to last more than a couple years, +,- a few months. I had to replace the battery in the Honda 2 weeks ago, it died at a bank parking lot. Mad dash to get a battery before they closed the gates. From now on, I'm changing every 2 years whether it needs it or not. Too much of a hassle being stuck while waiting for a battery to show up. Good thing about LOS is its easy to get a motorbike taxi and get a ride back to your car with a new battery.

And....I've wondered why there are not 48-60 month batteries here. Asking at a shop they just say we don't have. Been to several shops and they all have the same 2 year battery range, and cost more than a 48 month battery back in the States. Ok rant over....

I am up country and had to get my Boliden battery from Bangkok. Shops here have signs for them but when asked, they say locals will not pay the extra for quality.