What An Awful Way To Go.

soi41

Its the FCO of Uk again , nothing more to be said, And to think we are told that the reason for the 100% cost of a new passport over and above getting it in the Uk is a "better service to UK citizens abroad" what a joke, You have my sympathy Mr Davies

Terrible and sad....but would it be in the news if it would be a Somchai rice farmer?

Would it be in the news if it would be an Iraq person because the Americans and British destroyed the hospitals?

NO.

It is very sad, but by far not something special. It is something that happens every day somewhere.

If I was lying dying in a hospital in Bangkok my family would be on the first flight out. You better believe it.

Where was the brother in all this????

Maybe he felt that the airfare money was better spent on the hospital bills. He doesn't sound wealthy anyway....

If I was lying dying in a hospital in Bangkok my family would be on the first flight out. You better believe it.

Maybe he felt that the airfare money was better spent on the hospital bills. He doesn't sound wealthy anyway....

There appears to be a lack of back story on this, when was the man diagnosed? when did he stop working at the Uni? what has been his medical condition up until the critical failure? Did he know he was ill but chose to hang on in Thailand as long as possible?

Really, it's not up to me or others to second guess what has happened here, however many people are jumping on a bandwagon of criticism of the Embassy. The Embassy are not here to act as your social worker in Thailand, if this man was fit to fly but chose not to then that is relevant to this story. If it was a critical failure of his organs without warning then that is something different. Obviously it is.

According to wiki Crest Syndrome is an auto-immune disease that has no cure but is slow in developing. It doesn't just occur over the space of a week or two.

His brother did fly out here according to a story on the site that the OP provided a link to.

I can't see that bit, I can see that the brother sent an email, and I can see that the brother received a call from the Embassy which indicates he was in England at the time of death, but I can't see where the brother was in BKK at any time.

May I say, there is no victory here for anyone, it is very sad that this man has lost his life so prematurely, however we are not served well with a hysterical witch hunt of the Embassy staff. It has been pointed out by endure it is a progressive condition. Did this man have an opportunity to fly home months ago and not take it? Did he choose not to be treated by the NHS and to be close to his family?

Let's be having investigation before assassination...........

Edited by theblether

Some good points there theblether. IIt all boils down to reliance on the state as usual...whether home or abroad.

I favour neither in any circumstance..and not even insurance companies. Better to have a few bob tucked away for use in an emergency in my view.

Edit: That is not to say I don't have adequate insurance. I do. Its simply sensible belt and braces....etc.

Edited by smokie36

Some good points there theblether. IIt all boils down to reliance on the state as usual...whether home or abroad.

I favour neither in any circumstance..and not even insurance companies. Better to have a few bob tucked away for use in an emergency in my view.

Edit: That is not to say I don't have adequate insurance. I do. Its simply sensible belt and braces....etc.

I would say the vast majority of right thinking ex-pats would be at the front of the queue to help people in need, however we are at the back of the queue to help people with self inflicted wounds.

I think is the bitter pill of experience of living an ex-pat life..........we've seen to many cases of people self inflicting wounds and leaving others to tidy up the mess.

ps I agree, where possible have at least your flight money behind you to get you home.

I would say the vast majority of right thinking ex-pats would be at the front of the queue to help people in need, however we are at the back of the queue to help people with self inflicted wounds.

I think is the bitter pill of experience of living an ex-pat life..........we've seen to many cases of people self inflicting wounds and leaving others to tidy up the mess.

ps I agree, where possible have at least your flight money behind you to get you home.

The decent people ALWAYS leave when all they have left is the air fare.

Another one not to forget in a hurry.

• Like 1

There appears to be a lack of back story on this, when was the man diagnosed? when did he stop working at the Uni? what has been his medical condition up until the critical failure? Did he know he was ill but chose to hang on in Thailand as long as possible?

Really, it's not up to me or others to second guess what has happened here, however many people are jumping on a bandwagon of criticism of the Embassy. The Embassy are not here to act as your social worker in Thailand, if this man was fit to fly but chose not to then that is relevant to this story. If it was a critical failure of his organs without warning then that is something different. Obviously it is.

Surely we are not going to have another thread about the cruel UK Embassy refusing to pay the medical costs of flying this gentleman home. It is not the UK governments responsibility. It is our responsibility when abroad to ensure that we are insured and have the funds to get home in an emergency.

It is not the responsibility of the Embassy staff to sit by the bedside of anyone, especially when it is known that they have friends visiting with them. Do people think Florence Nightingale is going to float down from the Embassy, wipe their fevered brow and whisk them home on a magic carpet?

Some people need to grow up and face facts, it's your responsibility, it's you that must be properly insured, and yes........you are on your own. I think there is a lot of namby pamby twaddle at the heart of this story, however that does not excuse the tragedy of the man's premature death.

I am not without compassion, far from it, but let's be seeing the facts, so if someone with knowledge of the story can give us a factual chronological history to this sad event that would be a start, and possibly revealing.

It would be wise for each employee to ensure that the conditions of they`re work contracts are fully implemented and aware of the clauses within the contract. For example: certain health problems may not be covered.

He died of Crest Syndrome. Information here.

http://www.caringmed...ST_Syndrome.htm

As the title of this thread correctly states, What an awful way to go.

I have no idea whether he knew of the health problem before entering Thailand, or whether or not he had the chance to return back to the United Kingdom? All I know that it is, terrible, upsetting and distressing viewing the photos. This teacher must have suffered an agonising, most appaling death. So I`m not really interested in the ins and outs of the case.

I think we should all convey our deepest symphathies and leave it at that.

My deepest symphathy to his family and friends.

Edited by Beetlejuice

Surely we are not going to have another thread about the cruel UK Embassy refusing to pay the medical costs of flying this gentleman home. It is not the UK governments responsibility. It is our responsibility when abroad to ensure that we are insured and have the funds to get home in an emergency.

It is not the responsibility of the Embassy staff to sit by the bedside of anyone, especially when it is known that they have friends visiting with them. Do people think Florence Nightingale is going to float down from the Embassy, wipe their fevered brow and whisk them home on a magic carpet?

Some people need to grow up and face facts, it's your responsibility, it's you that must be properly insured, and yes........you are on your own. I think there is a lot of namby pamby twaddle at the heart of this story, however that does not excuse the tragedy of the man's premature death.

I am not without compassion, far from it, but let's be seeing the facts, so if someone with knowledge of the story can give us a factual chronological history to this sad event that would be a start, and possibly revealing.

It would be wise for each employee to ensure that the conditions of they`re work contracts are fully implemented and aware of the clauses within the contract. For example: certain health problems may not be covered.

He died of Crest Syndrome. Information here.

http://www.caringmed...ST_Syndrome.htm

As the title of this thread correctly states, What an awful way to go.

Terrible, upsetting and distressing viewing the photos. This teacher must have suffered an agonising, most appaling death. My deepest symphathy to his family and friends.

+1 Beetlejuice,

In no way am I attempting to diminish the passing of this gentleman.

There appears to be an attempt to blacken the name of the UK Embassy in this matter, my question is simple. Did this man have the opportunity to go home and not take it?

If he did have that chance and rejected it then that would throw an entire new light on this subject. It is ridiculous to suggest that the UK Embassy in Bangkok has a duty of palliative care to people who chose to die in Thailand.

So let's be having facts.........When was this man diagnosed? Did he the opportunity to fly home before he became critical?

There appears to be an attempt to blacken the name of the UK Embassy in this matter, my question is simple. Did this man have the opportunity to go home and not take it?

If he did have that chance and rejected it then that would throw an entire new light on this subject. It is ridiculous to suggest that the UK Embassy in Bangkok has a duty of palliative care to people who chose to die in Thailand.

So let's be having facts.........When was this man diagnosed? Did he the opportunity to fly home before he became critical?

Well, here are some facts.

From experience and from the experiences of people I have known, the British Foreign & Commonwealth Office is a total waste of space.

In reality the whole outfit are just an administrative bunch of monkeys in harness.

Sometime ago I received an email from the FCO advising that I should register myself with the British Embassy in Bangkok as a British Citizen. I couldn’t see the benefits either to my family or myself so I didn’t bother.

I think if I was unlucky enough to fall into dire straights here in Thailand, the FCO would be my last port of call or direction for my SOS signals.

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 1

Well, here are some facts.

From experience and from the experiences of people I have known, the British Foreign & Commonwealth Office is a total waste of space.

In reality the whole outfit are just an administrative bunch of monkeys in harness.

Sometime ago I received an email from the FCO advising that I should register myself with the British Embassy in Bangkok as a British Citizen. I couldn’t see the benefits either to my family or myself so I didn’t bother.

I think if I was unlucky enough to fall into dire straights here in Thailand, the FCO would be my last port of call or direction for my SOS signals.

That's not facts Beetlejuice, that's opinions. People's expectations of the Embassy are way too high, I think some people have some jolly boys outing mentality when they go abroad, with nanny standing by the wings waiting to tidy up. The Embassy is not nanny, I think what shocks a lot of people is that they have come from the nanny state and don't like it when nanny says, no, grow up, look after yourself.

Or would you prefer we fly 100,000 social workers over to Thailand? Is that not exactly what the vast majority of TV contributors complain about? There is a contradiction here, people think the Embassy is an extension of the same welfare state that they berate. It's not......get over it.

That's not facts Beetlejuice, that's opinions. People's expectations of the Embassy are way too high, I think some people have some jolly boys outing mentality when they go abroad, with nanny standing by the wings waiting to tidy up. The Embassy is not nanny, I think what shocks a lot of people is that they have come from the nanny state and don't like it when nanny says, no, grow up, look after yourself.

Or would you prefer we fly 100,000 social workers over to Thailand? Is that not exactly what the vast majority of TV contributors complain about? There is a contradiction here, people think the Embassy is an extension of the same welfare state that they berate. It's not......get over it.

You do not understand my points here.

I’m not saying that the FCO had any obligations to this guy or that this poor man followed the correct procedures to ensure that he didn’t end up in this precarious situation. It may have been extremely bad judgement on his part. I don`t know and don`t care.

What I am saying is that generally the FCO are a load of crap and what’s the use of prolonging the agony of this case as to whether this guy done rightly or wrongly. He has suffered enough already and payed the ultimate price, so all that’s left to do now, is give him our respects.

There is really nothing else to explain. End of story as far as I`m concerned.

Edited by Beetlejuice

When the subject of why did you come here, why do you want to come here, comes up a frequent response is that people wanted to get away from the Nanny Sate - They wanted to live their life on their own.

Only yesterday we had some suggesting we should 'take a risk and live'.

Well this is the downside.

It's terribly sad but sadder still is this is going to be increasingly frequent news.

I am not British, this is from an Australian perspective. Firstly, my sympathies to this poor chap and his family.

Secondly, I for one would always register with the Australian Embassy if I planned to live in a foreign country for some time. I have no doubt that the Australian Embassy, and the UK Embassy, would do their best to assist their nationals in difficult or dangerous circumstances, but I certainly would not expect them to assist in situations of personal hardship that could have been mitigated by sensible use of health and/or travel insurance.

Taxpayers pay for the services that Governments offer, and most, probably the vast majority, of taxpayers would not approve of their Governments providing services that should be paid for by the individual when they travel to foreign countries, particularly when the purpose is to work there.

id just like to say garf was someone who i knew for a good few years ,and had been a teacher here for years , its the way he was treated which is most appalling and the fact the university did not make the health service payments ,yet still deducted it,

rip garf

Way back when I was extensively travelling the world, I applied for my first credit card for that very reason. It only had a limit of 500 pounds and when the card company refused to raise the credit limit, I applied and got a second card (for the same limit). The reason for this was my safety net. Even though my employers at the time would have returned me to UK by the fastest means possible if anything happened, it still made me more at ease that I had plan B.

Obviously things have changed since then, but the safety net is still in place and will remain there as nobody knows how the dice are going to be thrown.

My deepest sympathy to this poor guy.

This what that Our Ambassador page says on the British Embassy website:

As an adult, I have spent a number of memorable holidays in Thailand, which is a destination for more than 850,000 British citizens a year. Most holiday makers go home with warm memories and souvenirs. A few fall into difficulties and our job is to try and ensure that travellers take sensible steps to avoid preventable problems and those who need the help of the embassy, get a good standard of service.

Did this poor chap really receive a good standard of service?

Did he not take reasonable steps to avoid preventable problems?

There are many employers in Thailand employing foreigners legally with work permits but NOT providing the health welfare coverage they are legally obliged . And I suspect the relevant authorities know about this and take no action.

Edited by KKvampire

RIP for the poor man and sympathy for the family

But... it should also be a reminder for all people thinking about migrating to a foreign country that they shall NOT put all their money on a single horse... their is currently another thread of an American, 65K US$ savings, no pension for 3 years to come... and their are members here who tell him "do the move, if you are so desperate in your current job"...

such stories - as sad as they are - should remind people that they NEED to keep a safety net, at least for emergency treatments and a flight back home...

I am not British, this is from an Australian perspective. Firstly, my sympathies to this poor chap and his family.

Secondly, I for one would always register with the Australian Embassy if I planned to live in a foreign country for some time. I have no doubt that the Australian Embassy, and the UK Embassy, would do their best to assist their nationals in difficult or dangerous circumstances, but I certainly would not expect them to assist in situations of personal hardship that could have been mitigated by sensible use of health and/or travel insurance.

Taxpayers pay for the services that Governments offer, and most, probably the vast majority, of taxpayers would not approve of their Governments providing services that should be paid for by the individual when they travel to foreign countries, particularly when the purpose is to work there.

I know its a reality of life but it saddens me to read this and many other posts about the costs to the british tax payer. surely a life trumps any amount of money. i know i am not being realistic but it really upsets me that money is the be all and end of all. it really makes me want to cry sometimes. wai.gif