Retirement Visa Re Entry Problem

I have a single entry retirement visa, valid until 26/12/2012 when originally issued.

Did my last 90 day report, got the slip they put in your passport.

A friend of mine had big trouble in Cambodia and I went there immediately.

Didn't have time to get a re entry visa from Phuket Immigration before I left.

My understanding was that leaving the country without one invalidates your retirement visa and you have to start all over again.

However, when I re entered Thailand at Klong Yai yesterday, expecting to only get 15 days, I received a stamp which says I have permission to stay until 26/12, and he took my 90 day report slip. So it looks like my retirement visa is still valid.

I think I have been very lucky, but I'm worried that he might have made a mistake which will come to light when I go through Immigration again.

How can I be sure?

Second, if it is all OK, does my next 90 day report have to be from the date of re entry, 27/03/2012?

Thank you.

Visit immirgation and point out the mistake, at the same time have proof of you qualifying for a conversion to a "re-tirement visa" to avoid you being on overstay.

The conversion costs 2,000 baht, but not all immigration offices will do it and they might send you to Bangkok.

The 90 day reporting date will depend on if a mistake indeed was made.

So there should be a re entry permit in my passport and without it, I've got a problem?

What are my chances of pleading ignorance? Or will they just take the money when I turn up for a 90 day?

Thank you.

When it's said that I need to show I'm eligible for a retirement visa, does that mean assembling the bank statements and letter from the Honorary Consul I had before?

Edited by cardew

Yes get everything together and pleading ignorance has fallen on deaf ears as has been reported several times. Get to immigration sort it out by going in to point out the problem will have more influence than pleading ignorance.

A little confusing but sounds like you may be ok and no mistake was made. You appear to have a permission to stay valid thru Dec 2012. You also say you had single reentry permit. If you got that when you got your permission to stay based on retirement and have not left Thailand in the intervening months, then it was used when you left for Cambodia. The rentry permit should be stamped in your passport and show when you left and when you came back in. Immigration then removed the old 90 day paper and put in a new one showing when your next 90 days report is due based on your return to Thailand. Obtaining a reentry permit when going for extension of stay can be good in case of this type of situation. I do not do so but know many people who do, it is a little insurance in case you need to leave at a moments notice, but I think a waste if you do not travel outside Thailand regularly. Can be gotten any day immigration is open if needed. Of course, frequent travellers should get the multientry and save a few Baht. Good luck

He actually said "I have a single entry retirement visa, valid until 26/12/2012" and that he did not have a re-entry. I questioned if he actually had a re-entry permit in post 2. Post 5 appears to say he had no such re-entry permit.

Very Confusing. I understand by his OP he had a single entry Non-O wich would allow for the 1 time he left and came back in. That would make it all legal but maybe the OP is confused. Maybe he can scan and post a pic of his passport page with his stamps?

His OP indicates:

Has a single entry Non-O valid until December 2012

Did his last 90 day report and got the slip back in Passport

Went to Cambodia and returned to Thailand with proper visa stamp

Edited by Gone

"Single entry retirement visa"

We can assume he had either an O-A visa from his home country without going for the multiple entry option (which is always advisable) or an annual extension based on retirement and no additional reentry permit, either single or multi. In either case, the border officer would have made a mistake to treat him as if he did have a reentry permit. Yes, this needs to be sorted out for sure.

Edited by Jingthing

I am a little confused as to what the OP has, prior to leaving thailand what did he have a non immigrant 'o' 'a' visa valid for one year,issued on 26/12 if so why has he done a 90 day report, which wasn't due until the 26th march when he was out of the country. or a one year extension of stay based on retirement, as he mentions in post 5 ''does that mean assembling the bank statements and letter from the Honorary Consul I had before?''

I think that some scans as gone posted in post 11,

either way unless he did have a re-entry permit he needs to get it sorted now.

I had a Multi O, which I converted to a retirement visa in Phuket.

It runs out on 26/12/2012.

I did one 90 day report in Phuket around the end of February, and the slip for this was put in my passport.

I got a single entry visa because I did not plan to leave Thailand.

In retrospect the wrong decision, but if I knew then what I know now, I'd have done many things differently, though also many things the same.

In any case, I thought that if I did need one, I could go to Phuket Town and get a re entry stamp.

Unfortunately the nature and timing of the problem in Cambodia left me no time to do this.

I assumed that when I came back to Thailand, by land, I would get a single entry tourist visa for 15 days, and I would then have to sort out a new retirement visa somehow.

When the immigration guy stamped me in and took the 90 day slip, I thought that it was possible that I had misunderstood and that I got one exit and return on my retirement visa.

It seems however that is not the case, he made a mistake, I ought to have had a re entry stamp before I left?

And I am much better off dealing with it now, rather than waiting and incurring big penalties.

It does seem to me that I have some sort of case, in that it was the officer's mistake, but I guess it would be unwise to count on this meaning anything.

In the meantime, I'm asking around to see if there is any possibility of a retrospective re entry stamp.

Because otherwise it seems the likely course of events is to that I will need to get another Multi O and sort out a fresh retirement visa, a right pain in the a..se?

Thank you all for your kind help.

Please double check your stamps in your passport as an extension of stay is never "single" or "multi" entry. Only a re-entry permit would have that designation (or a visa from a Consulate). Did you perhaps pay for extension 1,900 baht plus 1,000 baht for a single re-entry permit?

Yes, we are getting to the hard facts here. You definitely had an annual extension based on retirement. Those are not single entry, multiple entry, or any entry! You are ALREADY in Thailand when you get that extension (cost 1900 baht). They give you permission to stay an entire year with no need to leave at all during that time. The reporting slip thing is entirely independent of your retirement extension -- it just means you need to report to immigration every time you are in Thailand 90 days. So did you or did you not get a SINGLE reentry permit (cost 1000 baht extra) in ADDITION to the annual extension based on retirement that we know you got? If yes, you're fine and the border officer stamped you in correctly, if no, you've got a problem. Assuming you did not purchase a multiple reentry permit which is another option you had. For future reference, you can go into immigration at any time during your permission to stay on retirement extensions to purchase reentry permits as desired.

Edited by Jingthing

Given the OP's problems with using terminology and apparently not understanding what's in his passport, it would be wise for him to get to the local Immigration office ASAP and show them what he's got and ask if he has a problem. If so, then he can go and round up the financial proof, etc and start on the road to getting another 90-day O visa and then a 12-month extension due to retirement. I don't see much point in sending him off for financial proof now until he figures out what's really in his passport. (Apparently the OP is unwilling or unable to scan the relevant pages and post them here)

There is no such thing as a "retroactive" re-entry permit.

Also, it will always best to sort out possible visa problems sooner than later. Pleading ignorance will get your nothing except a trip out of the country and a 20,000 baht overstay fine on the way out. Right now the OP is still within the timeframe for a 15-day visa exempt entry. Sort it out now during that 15-day period.

Edited by NancyL

Here is a single entry reentry permit. This one stamped USED when the person entered Thailand with it and used it to keep his current permission to stay alive. The OP already said he did not have time to get the so called "reentry visa" before leaving Thailand. So anyway:

post-37101-0-39333000-1332931345_thumb.j

Thank you for all the useful advice, which has solved my problem.

First, to Nancy L, I'd say that many of us have other things to do in Thailand than master the visa terminology, which is why we are so grateful to the helpful and very informed people here.

Second, to Jingthing, without realising it, I did indeed pay 1000 baht for a single re entry visa when I got my retirement extension, and it was the basis on which the immigration official allowed me to come back in.

Thought the money was for the extension.

It had been put on a previous page to the retirement extension and was pointed out to me by an agent I went to see about my problem.

So I'm here completely legally, which is a huge relief.

Once again, thank you to everyone, especially Jingthing.

Edited by cardew
  • Like 1

Glad to hear it worked out! In retrospect, of course it makes sense. Yes mistakes are made but unlikely the officer would have preserved your annual extension of stay without a valid reentry permit. I reckon you know the rules now about reentry permits (and how getting them is separate from the extension application even if done at the same time). Your next 90 day address report is due 90 days from the day you entered from Cambodia. The 90 day report period resets every time you reenter Thailand so you shouldn't need the paper slip the officer took of your last report.

Edited by Jingthing

Thank you for all the useful advice, which has solved my problem.

First, to Nancy L, I'd say that many of us have other things to do in Thailand than master the visa terminology, which is why we are so grateful to the helpful and very informed people here.

Second, to Jingthing, without realising it, I did indeed pay 1000 baht for a single re entry visa when I got my retirement extension, and it was the basis on which the immigration official allowed me to come back in.

Thought the money was for the extension.

It had been put on a previous page to the retirement extension and was pointed out to me by an agent I went to see about my problem.

So I'm here completely legally, which is a huge relief.

Once again, thank you to everyone, especially Jingthing.

Yes, and no shortage of people who can't be bothered to learn the terminology, then bitch about Thai immigration when they have a problem.

"First, ..., I'd say that many of us have other things to do in Thailand than master the visa terminology, which is why we are so grateful to the helpful and very informed people here."

How nice. You don't want to bother learning this, but don't mind wasting other peoples time because of it.

"Lighten up. Yes, it is in people's self interest to know what's in their passport and what they need in their passport. But it can take some time for people to get there."

According to the OP, he's too busy to bother.

Anyone planning on staying here for awhile to forever should, for their own self interests, at least try to learn the basics.

Lucky in this case that it worked out.

Terry

Let's not get overly moralistic about this. Yes, we should learn the facts for own good. It's important to avoid Thai prison. The OP had rather a real scare and now it's resolved. Good outcome.

No moralistic, realistic, I read quite a few posts concerning visas, etc. on a daily basis and the same questions get asked, and the same information passed on. Most just seem too lazy to learn much until they think they have a problem.

Let's not get overly moralistic about this. Yes, we should learn the facts for own good. It's important to avoid Thai prison. The OP had rather a real scare and now it's resolved. Good outcome.

No moralistic, realistic, I read quite a few posts concerning visas, etc. on a daily basis and the same questions get asked, and the same information passed on. Most just seem too lazy to learn much until they think they have a problem.

I get that completely, but on the other hand each person dealing with these rules has to somehow learn the ropes themselves in their own way. It's one thing reading some stuff on a forum and another thing feeling a panic that you are in Thailand illegally by mistake. I remember when I did my first 90 day address report. Of course its nothing, but the first time, it's something. Edited by Jingthing