Phuket To Langkawi - Malaysia By Boat.

KhunHeineken

I have never sailed on a yacht before. I read somewhere that a lot of yacht owners sail to Langkawi and other islands, sometimes just for visa runs. I am not after an epic voyage. Just a few days at sea. I would be happy to help out with manual labour and pay a few baht for the trip.

I would consider an organised company, but would prefer a private boat with someone who could maybe answer some questions about sailing for me and teach me a bit about it.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I flew into Thailand, are there any problems leaving by sea? If I come back into Thailand by sea, do I get 15 days or 30 days?

Are there any other things I should consider?

Thanks for any information in advance.

Anyone actually tried this service ?? Might give it a go if it's a reliable ferry service.

I have never tried it but the service looks quite good. The gold ticket allow you to hop-on hop-off so you can visit any of the islands/ports you want on the way. Cost wise i don't reckon it would be cheaper than driving for a couple but possibly more fun.

A lot of the island don't have piers so you have to wade through the water I believe.

Actually I take that back...it goes 100% of the way

Takes 12 hours to Langkawi

Thanks for the link Peter, but I'm not after transport to Langkawi, I'm after a sailing experience. I'm not bothered if the boat doesn't even go anywhere, just out into international waters for a few days and back again. I would just like to know what it feels like to sail and learn a bit about it. I heard a lot of the boat owners have to do visa runs like anyone else. I was just hoping to hop onboard. I don't want anything for free. I am not after a cheap charlie visa run. I'm happy to do my share on the boat, or pay a few baht for the owner's trouble. I would just like to experience some sailing, but thanks for you post anyway.

Actually I take that back...it goes 100% of the way

Takes 12 hours to Langkawi

Thanks for the link Peter, but I'm not after transport to Langkawi, I'm after a sailing experience. I'm not bothered if the boat doesn't even go anywhere, just out into international waters for a few days and back again. I would just like to know what it feels like to sail and learn a bit about it. I heard a lot of the boat owners have to do visa runs like anyone else. I was just hoping to hop onboard. I don't want anything for free. I am not after a cheap charlie visa run. I'm happy to do my share on the boat, or pay a few baht for the owner's trouble. I would just like to experience some sailing, but thanks for you post anyway.

Sorry i just scan read your post and assumed you wanted to get from A to B via boat instead of plane.

Hope you find something....

Anyone actually tried this service ?? Might give it a go if it's a reliable ferry service.

I have never tried it but the service looks quite good. The gold ticket allow you to hop-on hop-off so you can visit any of the islands/ports you want on the way. Cost wise i don't reckon it would be cheaper than driving for a couple but possibly more fun.

A lot of the island don't have piers so you have to wade through the water I believe.

Would also like to hear from people who actually tried this service. A few years back, a customer of mine booked with them to go from Khao Lak to Koh Kradan in Trang, believing she would board a ferry in Phuket. But instead of that, she was ;picked up here by a minivan belonging to another company, which brought her to Had Yao just opposite Koh Kradan, where she was put on a ferry for a short ride to the island. This might have been a one off thing caused by a technical problem, but still I would like to hear from other people who recently used this service.

OP, I am sorry for joining the people who almost hijacked your thread. I hope you get some useful input written by yachties.

Edited by keestha

My boss does this trip regularly, he has a 40 foot sailing yacht. Shame you didn't post this last week, im sure you would of been more than welcome on the voyage. He does island hopping on the way down to re supply, snorkeling etc. Check out his website, might be of interest. www.mypollen-path.com

I've done a fair bit of crewing myself. Check out www.crewseekers.net really helpful

I had a bad experience on my last trip though. Nothing to do with this site. It was more to do with the Captain beating on his wife whilst we were in the Suez canaldrunk.gifangry.png

Go to Phuket Cruising Yacht Club or Ao Chalong Yacht Club and look at the posting bulletin boards and ask around. People are generally friendly and helpful.

Thanks for the links mikebike. I thought about just going down to the marina and introducing myself to a few owners but making contact with the club, through their website, might be better.

My boss does this trip regularly, he has a 40 foot sailing yacht. Shame you didn't post this last week, im sure you would of been more than welcome on the voyage. He does island hopping on the way down to re supply, snorkeling etc. Check out his website, might be of interest. www.mypollen-path.com

I've done a fair bit of crewing myself. Check out www.crewseekers.net really helpful

I had a bad experience on my last trip though. Nothing to do with this site. It was more to do with the Captain beating on his wife whilst we were in the Suez canaldrunk.gifangry.png

Thanks for the links Paanjang, but one of the websites is down. The other website, crewseekers, looks interesting. I haven't gone right through it yet but do you have to be experienced to get onboard?

Thanks for the links Paanjang, but one of the websites is down. The other website, crewseekers, looks interesting. I haven't gone right through it yet but do you have to be experienced to get onboard?

sorry, its www.sypollenpath.com SY means sailing yacht, i thought he had a motor yacht (MY) He just left on the trip you wanted to do. There is a bar down at the pier called The lighthouse. Plenty of yachties in there... Good luck

Although the OP was asking about sailing boats i have found this post/thread very interesting

When we can agree on a time to catch the ferry we will do it and spend 2 or three days in

langkawi and enjoy ourselves and each others

I hope you don't mean me and you will spend a few days enjoying each other Peter. smile.pngsmile.png

Edited by KhunHeineken

I'm a bit shy to say, after Peter's announcement, that I also found this information very good and useful.

I'm also thinking to do the trip and it would be great to hear first hand stories how good the service was and if everybody were happy at the end of the journey?

:D

More seriously, there has been 2 good ferry topics on this forum in the past few days. One to the Koh Lanta and now this. Some of my friends are currently at Koh Lipe, which looks stunning! This ferry from Phuket to Langawi have a stop at Lipe with a price of 2800 baht one way.

If there is a possibility of island hopping, that would be just perfect.

Back to sailing: Have you tried to just drop by to the yacht clubs in Phuket? Some boats could need crew to sail to their next destination. That way you would sail to for example to Bali and fly back to Phuket from there.

Although the OP was asking about sailing boats i have found this post/thread very interesting

When we can agree on a time to catch the ferry we will do it and spend 2 or three days in

langkawi and enjoy ourselves and each others

I hope you don't mean me and you will spend a few days enjoying each other Peter. smile.pngsmile.png

No way, us and friends, i did not word it very well

Had a few beers

Yep I'm going to plan a ferry trip too...probably head to Langkawi and stop for a night in Koh Mook and Koh Ngai using the gold ticket thing.

When I get some time off work angry.png

I assume that would work as a visa run too?

Off topic i know, but if you have a work permit do you still have to do visa runs

Off topic i know, but if you have a work permit do you still have to do visa runs

Depends on whether an extension (1 year) has been granted. A work permit (with appropriate salary/tax paid) will qualify for a 1 year extension. If a standard business visa then visa run every 90 days.

Yep I'm going to plan a ferry trip too...probably head to Langkawi and stop for a night in Koh Mook and Koh Ngai using the gold ticket thing.

Whether one has to do visaruns depends on the visa, not on yes/no workpermit.

Well I dont have to do visa runs with my Visa/work Permit combination...just thought it might be good for other people

Go to Phuket Cruising Yacht Club or Ao Chalong Yacht Club and look at the posting bulletin boards and ask around. People are generally friendly and helpful.

Thanks for the links mikebike. I thought about just going down to the marina and introducing myself to a few owners but making contact with the club, through their website, might be better.

it also helps a lot if you are a hot girl. failing that, make it clear you will bring beer and snacks along for the ride.

it also helps a lot if you are a hot girl. failing that, make it clear you will bring beer and snacks along for the ride.

Just tell them you'll wear your string bikini, don't say you are a bloke.giggle.gif

Ao Chalong Yacht club have Sunday races sometimes.

Think posted on their website.

A good change to meet quite a few of the local yachties - they would know a lot about whos coming and going as well.

If not, you could also just drop by the club itself - they serve a good fried breakfast.