Do Thais Have An Obsession About Overinflated Car Tyres?

Jezz

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for this Warpee ...

As I'm reading the OP which got off it's original track, the actual vehicle manufacturer Isuzu is now amending the original door sill recommendations through their service centers over the previous pressures and now recommending a higher one so the arguments here are in a contradiction with themselves and have gotten off track to attack one poster who's advice sounds a bit extreme..

Edited by WarpSpeed, Today, 00:01 .

I've been running 29psi and it feels fine ... much better than the 40+ when it came from the dealers initially. I'll go tomorrow and find out whats what ... thanks.

I drove my old pickup into town one day and noticed a front end wobble that got progressively worse. I checked and found a huge lump on the sidewall prortuding out. I drove slowly to a tyre shop as obviously the tyre was finished. Checking the pressure, it was at 55 psi....My BiL had used it the day before and obviously pumped it up as I am very particular about tyre pressures. That was enough for me to stick to 30 -31 psi unloaded.

I put 52psi in my pickup tyres, yours is low, the v-cross is quite a weighty beast.

PS

As far as I know Isuzu don't make tyres, so you should be using the pressures printed on the rubber of the tyre, and then pressuring according to the weight of the vehicle on those tyres. Heaver the vehicle, the neared the max PSI, lighter the vehicle, the neared to the minimum PSI.

Well stated Tommo, yours might be a tad high maybe best around 45 to 48 depending on what your maximum stated on the sidewall is but I'd take the tire manufacturer recommendations over the vehicle manufacturer any day which have NO idea which tire you have after your first set and most are recommended too low anyways in favor of ride performance over tire performance and safety..

The shop is correct, this has been beaten to death but it's not a standard applied to ALL tires..It takes some consumer and technician common sense and knowledge, if a tire is max rated @ 50 PSI it should be at least upper 30's to low 40's to be close to proper sidewall support, wear, performance and safety characteristics..

A number on a sidewall IS NOT a tire manufacturer's recommendation! It's only a number stating the MAX pressure this particular tire can handle! The same tire WILL be inflated to different pressure depending on the vehicle it's installed on. Don't confuse yourself and other people!

Ok guys. I had my new Chev Colorado 4x4 at 39psi at delivery but the sticker say 35psi for upto 3 passengers. Now it is 35psi for as long as no heavy load. I tell you anything over 35psi it s son of the gun for choppy ride if no load.

As I'm the OP, I've followed your comments closely. Thanks. I'm tending to lean towards the theory a few extra lbs (Just a few!) is no big deal and better than too little air. The fact remains the issue seems something of a grey area.

It's not that much grey for those who can read and use some logic....it your manufacturer says something in the book(or the door sticker) it's probably right,in your case going up to 31-32 will not heart(that's for the hot tire while driven already)...but if you refit your tires with some custom staff,you better double check with ta reliable source...I got my low profiles fitted just recently,so I've ask the shop manager(!) what is the recommended pressure and the answer was 32 psi(nitrogen)....OK,Ive drove home and checked with my gauge-it showed 38 psi!!

...so,you can draw your own conclusions and the answer to your question is again-YES they DO have tendency to over inflate tires...and over fill the oil(but that is another subject)...smile.png

I drove my old pickup into town one day and noticed a front end wobble that got progressively worse. I checked and found a huge lump on the sidewall prortuding out. I drove slowly to a tyre shop as obviously the tyre was finished. Checking the pressure, it was at 55 psi....My BiL had used it the day before and obviously pumped it up as I am very particular about tyre pressures. That was enough for me to stick to 30 -31 psi unloaded.

Yes but he didn't cause the de-lamination by high pressures there was already damage there unless of course he also ran into something hard also like a major pothole. More likely because he over inflated it he saved your posterior from a dangerous blow out as it caused the bulge to be more pronounced so you noticed it...And because it was damaged and air was escaping into the void it was likely low in the first place which is probably why he put air in it in the first place..

Edited by WarpSpeed

I put 52psi in my pickup tyres, yours is low, the v-cross is quite a weighty beast.

PS

As far as I know Isuzu don't make tyres, so you should be using the pressures printed on the rubber of the tyre, and then pressuring according to the weight of the vehicle on those tyres. Heaver the vehicle, the neared the max PSI, lighter the vehicle, the neared to the minimum PSI.

Well stated Tommo, yours might be a tad high maybe best around 45 to 48 depending on what your maximum stated on the sidewall is but I'd take the tire manufacturer recommendations over the vehicle manufacturer any day which have NO idea which tire you have after your first set and most are recommended too low anyways in favor of ride performance over tire performance and safety..

The shop is correct, this has been beaten to death but it's not a standard applied to ALL tires..It takes some consumer and technician common sense and knowledge, if a tire is max rated @ 50 PSI it should be at least upper 30's to low 40's to be close to proper sidewall support, wear, performance and safety characteristics..

A number on a sidewall IS NOT a tire manufacturer's recommendation! It's only a number stating the MAX pressure this particular tire can handle! The same tire WILL be inflated to different pressure depending on the vehicle it's installed on. Don't confuse yourself and other people!

Who said it was the tire manufacturers recommendation? If you quote someone, understand what they're saying first will you? That's what sensible people do.. I'd also like to know from all the professionals here (? only 2 for certain that I know of) then how does one come by a proper inflation figure for their given set of tires? Tell me where that number is located on your tires please??

Edited by WarpSpeed

I'm with TA here, the pressure on the sidewall is maximum pressure and not related to driving pressure. Follow the door sill instructions. A bit higher doesnt hurt (i wrote "a bit' as in few psi), under pressure is more dangerous since it builds up heat rapidly.

Hak

Hak I think 52PSI in his case may be extreme but didn't read all the way through to see what his maximum is likely that exceeds his max though.

My tyres are Maxxis light truck 195R14C with a Max load rating of 950Kg at 65PSI cold.

That information is printed on the side of the tyres, if that helps.

From information in pickup truck forums I was advised to run my tyres at around 20% less than max, up or down depending on load. 65 - 20% = 52psi. It works for me. As per Warpspeeds suggestion, 45-48 would be a softer ride, but my pickup is very heavy, and sometimes loaded with people/corn/logs/etc.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Ok guys. I had my new Chev Colorado 4x4 at 39psi at delivery but the sticker say 35psi for upto 3 passengers. Now it is 35psi for as long as no heavy load. I tell you anything over 35psi it s son of the gun for choppy ride if no load.

I don't know what your maximum is but that sounds about right and a lot better then 29PSI and I can tell you from personal long time experience what a huge difference even one pound of air can make in a given tire where handling is concerned..

I'm with TA here, the pressure on the sidewall is maximum pressure and not related to driving pressure. Follow the door sill instructions. A bit higher doesnt hurt (i wrote "a bit' as in few psi), under pressure is more dangerous since it builds up heat rapidly.

Hak

Hak I think 52PSI in his case may be extreme but didn't read all the way through to see what his maximum is likely that exceeds his max though.

My tyres are Maxxis light truck 195R14C with a Max load rating of 950Kg at 65PSI cold.

If that helps.

Whoa, last night you said 60 lbs. so which is it?

As I'm the OP, I've followed your comments closely. Thanks. I'm tending to lean towards the theory a few extra lbs (Just a few!) is no big deal and better than too little air. The fact remains the issue seems something of a grey area.

Well here's the thing to take real note of..Several of the very same posters here telling you that the dealer is wrong in their amendment have maintained in other threads that you should only take your vehicle in to them for service and not a chain store for example as they have inside information from the manufacturer on your given vehicle and recommend or make changes based on that inside information yada yada yada and they staunchly defend this and I know there is some truth to this though I think there are limits it's not so covert and extreme as has been suggested..

But if that's how they feel and I know T/A is one of those posters then he/they are now seriously contradicting their own advice by telling you to ignore the dealerships amended recommendation which has probably been amended by the manufacturer and passed down as it's not likely they are acting independently of them..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Whoa, last night you said 60 lbs. so which is it?

Last night it was dark, 60psi was what I remembered, sorry I was 5 out.

5# is a long way off as per my previous post and it makes it hard to defend or respond if someone is waffling with inaccurate info. I checked mine last night too in the dark to confirm my post and I used a flash light to be certain..

I stand by my previous recommendation, I still believe you're a bit high on your pressures I think the upper 40's is sufficient..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Warning notice is my Triton manual. "Driving with tyres that are worn or improperly inflated can result in a collision and serious or fatal injury".

No cargo pressures are 29 psi alround.

With cargo pressures are 29 psi front and either 65, 54 or 42 psi at the rear, depending on model. The largest tyre is lowest.

When I picked mine up brand new I checked all the pressures as the ride was amazingly harsh. It was 65psi alround. Put it back to 30 and harmony was restored.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Thanks for this Warpee ...

As I'm reading the OP which got off it's original track, the actual vehicle manufacturer Isuzu is now amending the original door sill recommendations through their service centers over the previous pressures and now recommending a higher one so the arguments here are in a contradiction with themselves and have gotten off track to attack one poster who's advice sounds a bit extreme..

Edited by WarpSpeed, Today, 00:01 .

I've been running 29psi and it feels fine ... much better than the 40+ when it came from the dealers initially. I'll go tomorrow and find out whats what ... thanks.

Just take note TiT and understand that if a customer is adamant about a certain change or setting they'll not argue or insist otherwise, they'll just go along with what you want to make you happy and jai yen yen. No accountability here makes them less confrontational as the end result is of no importance to them if someone gets killed or seriously injured as they told you so, in a sense...

Back home I know if I requested something too seemingly out of the ordinary that the tech felt was putting him or his company outside of their comfort zone liability wise and you insisted, they'd send you on your way to do your own bidding elsewhere before accommodating you..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Warning notice is my Triton manual. "Driving with tyres that are worn or improperly inflated can result in a collision and serious or fatal injury".

No cargo pressures are 29 psi alround.

With cargo pressures are 29 psi front and either 65, 54 or 42 psi at the rear, depending on model. The largest tyre is lowest.

When I picked mine up brand new I checked all the pressures as the ride was amazingly harsh. It was 65psi alround. Put it back to 30 and harmony was restored.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

65 is extreme no doubt..

Can't believe that a so called ''race driver/mechanic'' is posting many posts that are a danger to you if you follow his advice.

Tyre pressure tech is very simple, a given tyre, a given vehicle. Motor and tyre manufacturer to many miles of testing so that YOU will be safe and the motor will keep traction.

That testing is placed on a sticker NEXT to the driver on the door jam to be sure it's of easy access.

There will be pressures stated for laden and unladen, some rides the pressures are the same whether laden or unladen.

If YOU fail to adhere to their figures, within a few pounds,, you will compromise the safety of you ride and passengers.

Lastly, when the rainy season comes, why are there so many trucks in the weeds ?.I'll tell you, over inflated tyres, the tyre cannot do it's thing.

Who said it was the tire manufacturers recommendation? If you quote someone, understand what they're saying first will you? That's what sensible people do.. I'd also like to know from all the professionals here (? only 2 for certain that I know of) then how does one come by a proper inflation figure for their given set of tires? Tell me where that number is located on your tires please??

Sorry if I got this wrong in my previous reply.

Here's however a quote for suggested vehicle mainenence from TIRE Manufacturer web site - Goodyear. I hope it's good enough enough Tire Manufacturer recommendation for you.

http://www.goodyear.com/en-US/services/auto-care#3000-miles

every-3000-miles.png

1. Change engine oil and filter (up to five quarts)
  2. Check all fluids under the vehicle’s hood
  3. Check wiper blades
  4. Check tread depth on all four tires
  5. Adjust tire pressure to the manufactuer’s specifications in your owner’s manual

A vehicle manufacturer would know better to which pressure inflate the tires on THEIR vehicles depending on the vehicle weight (empty/loaded).

Also I am sure a tire manufacturer has no way (and probably no desire) of testing all their tires on every make and model out here.

Another thing is a liability issue, if their recommendation goes against a car manufacturer's and the tire blows up with some serious consequences, who do you think will be dragged to a court?

If I'm wrong please point me to a tire manufacturers recommendation, maybe I missed it, or perhaps a Goodyear's recommendation isn't good enough?

• Like 1

Let me clarify comments I’ve made about Isuzu. I’m not saying Isuzu manufacturers or dealers in general have made any official changes to tyre pressure recommendations. It happens that at my local Isuzu dealer different staff have different opinions; hence two different pieces of advice. It would be nice if there was uniformity in this matter. It seems no notice is taken of officially published information. Surely Isuzu have a training programme to keep staff updated – especially on newly-released models? Then again, habits of a lifetime probably die hard.

Edited by Jezz

Just read the Vigo/Michelin tyre wall. DANGER underpressure/overpressure can result in tyre failure, follow ''vehicle'' manufacturers advice.

MAX pressure 44 psi That means THAT tyre can be fitted to a vehicle REQUIRING that sort of pressure for it's designed use, NOT for a Vigo where 29 psi is the safe pressure.

Some still don't understand that the ''give'' in a tyre is all part of the grip and suspension set up. There is absolutely NO advantage to over inflating except the steering will be lighter, you know why, cos you will reduce the under pressure (vehicle weight) tread contact area, so reducing grip, that's why over inflated tyres wear out the middle tread,

• Like 2

What happened to drawing a chalk band across your tires and seeing where it was worn. Once you hit even then that's right for your driving conditions and giving maximum contact with the road.

Sent from Android please excuse errors in type or judgement

Just read the Vigo/Michelin tyre wall. DANGER underpressure/overpressure can result in tyre failure, follow ''vehicle'' manufacturers advice.

MAX pressure 44 psi That means THAT tyre can be fitted to a vehicle REQUIRING that sort of pressure for it's designed use, NOT for a Vigo where 29 psi is the safe pressure.

Some still don't understand that the ''give'' in a tyre is all part of the grip and suspension set up. There is absolutely NO advantage to over inflating except the steering will be lighter, you know why, cos you will reduce the under pressure (vehicle weight) tread contact area, so reducing grip, that's why over inflated tyres wear out the middle tread,

Forgot to add, perhaps Warpy can give an answer, as he is endangering YOUR life with daft ''knowledge'',

WHY does Toyota specify 29 psi for a Vigo when they could just have rounded it off at 30 psi ? coffee1.gif

Can't believe that a so called ''race driver/mechanic'' is posting many posts that are a danger to you if you follow his advice.

Tyre pressure tech is very simple, a given tyre, a given vehicle. Motor and tyre manufacturer to many miles of testing so that YOU will be safe and the motor will keep traction.

That testing is placed on a sticker NEXT to the driver on the door jam to be sure it's of easy access.

There will be pressures stated for laden and unladen, some rides the pressures are the same whether laden or unladen.

If YOU fail to adhere to their figures, within a few pounds,, you will compromise the safety of you ride and passengers.

Lastly, when the rainy season comes, why are there so many trucks in the weeds ?.I'll tell you, over inflated tyres, the tyre cannot do it's thing.

I agree you shouldn't believe it as it's not true end of silly you..!! Actually I'm countering the nonsense of amateurs..BTW can you answer my previous post about where you get your recommended tire pressures from the tire manufacturer from?? I also have one very important and undeniable fact behind my posts that segregates them from the other less informed here and that's literally both thousands of miles and hot laps on DOT tires over the last 25 years without a single failure due to wrong pressures only mechanical failures due to contact or other and even those have been few and far between..

To aid your comprehension I highlighted the pertinent part..

So as not to confuse I've competed on Goodyears, BFG, Kumho, Yokohama, Firestone, Bridgestone and Hoosier STREET LEGAL DOT approved tires all with better then average results and not a single failure anything related to tire pressures (except one time when a "crack" crew I hired for a race improperly installed the new valve stems on the new rims we had and the air leaked out on the pace lap and incredibly they weren't even Thai rolleyes.gif ).. Never hired another "crack" crew again after that, trained them all myself, problem solved.. That also doesn't consider the thousands of miles traveled in work trucks of my own, my support vehicles to get to the track and so on..

Edited by WarpSpeed

What happened to drawing a chalk band across your tires and seeing where it was worn. Once you hit even then that's right for your driving conditions and giving maximum contact with the road.

That does work but mostly for a high load circumstance not practical for every day driving so much..

Forgot to add, perhaps Warpy can give an answer, as he is endangering YOUR life with daft ''knowledge'',

WHY does Toyota specify 29 psi for a Vigo when they could just have rounded it off at 30 psi ? coffee1.gif

Getting personal again eh T/A? So as usual you're loosing the point.. Still waiting on your answer first?

BTW "Daft" knowledge is not only an oxymoron but is in the eye of the beholder and if the beholder is himself daft?? Well................. You get the picture................................. On second thought maybe you don't? coffee1.gif

JFYI I already answered your question but as usual you manged to skirt around it altogether..

I also had occasion to race with a team at Bira who had been taking some previous experts advice on tire pressures and it only took them 6 months to get the speed it took me to do in less then 20 laps even though the car was new to me, the track was new to me, I hadn't run anything at speed or in competition for the previous 7 years and only my second right drive car which was the last time 7 years previously..

Their biggest problems: Wrong suspension and alignment set ups they had been previously recommended by some "pro" and tire pressures which were waaaay too low both of which we adjusted at the track based on my impressions and made a massive difference, BTW that put me within 2 seconds of the track record for that class and I was driving on full tread street tires and the record was set on Nitto shaved race tires considered to be the best available out there, what recent events do you have to put up to that except driving your Vigo through mud puddles to the grocery store.. passifier.gif

Edited by WarpSpeed

You can forget all your race crap, YOU, are telling folk it's OK to inflate a tyre BEYOND the tyre manufactures recommended safety margin. YES or NO.

You can write and post a book here about YOUR theory which is TOTALLY against safety levels PRINTED on a tyre and PRINTED on a sticker by a motor manufacturer. YOU are dangerous.

I raced 10psi in a drag race situation, NOTHING to do with normal road use tyres. God man.

You are endangering folk with stupid info, and you have skirted my questions and posted nothing to say ME and the MANUFACTURER of vehicle or tyre are wrong.

Readers, do a simple google about over inflating tyres. Everything l have posted is correct for YOU & YOURS safety .

Edited by transam
  • Like 1

I've followed parts of this topic as I have a vested interest, I'm still trying to confirm V-Cross recommended pressures ... may have the answer tonight.

Jesus ... do what the manufacturer says ... if he updates his information, in the light of experience then follow the new recommendation ... this forum has a lot of idiots in it and some clearly dangerous!! If the cap fits wear it!!

That's a good idea that Ron but you would need to keep it on a straight line test only I guess.

This is a good one.post-87530-0-04038500-1333445677_thumb.j