Why Did You Come To Live Here?

thenervoussurgeon

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am glad the OP is happy and wishes to die in Thailand. I hope he never succumbs to an illness requiring advanced care or develops age related dementia because the care options are limited.

I note some comments;

1. "our money diminishing as i retired": Indeed. Your money is increasing in Thailand? I would be grateful for some tips then, as that's not my case.

2. "our son stuck in a school where the police stood at the gates"; The police stand at some of the technical school gates in Thailand as the students have a habit of shooting each other. Also, a young student is more likely to be a viictm of a gun related crime or vehicular injury in Thailand than in the UK.

3. " the muslims were constantly marching ,complaining and generally causing trouble" Ok, you might have a point as they only engage in mayhem and murder in the south for now. Mind you, the Iranian grenade tosser might be a sign of things to come.

If you are happy, really that's all that matters.

Edited by geriatrickid

........................,today i was out with the wife and i saw a lovely young baby ,and stopped to play with him ,his mum looked on proudly ,in Britain i would never do such a thing in case she called you a pedo(all men are in Britain dont you know)....................

Last year during my visit to the UK, I arranged to meet my ex-wife and our grandchildren at a popular, quite large, play area. I arrived at the arranged time and walked around looking for my ex and the Lirttl'uns, but they were late. I was amazed and felt really uncomfortable because of the venomous and accusatory (is that a word?) looks that I was getting from the mothers.

There is something wrong when any man on his own is considered suspect just because he is walking alone in a play area.

Once they arrived, we had a lovely day,

• Like 1

There are worse places than Britain. USA

comes to mind.

I'm just very happy I don't have

to live there any longer.

The rest of us in the Us are very happy also that you are no longer there.

Thank you.

• Like 1

I am glad the OP is happy and wishes to die in Thailand. I hope he never succumbs to an illness requiring advanced care or develops age related dementia because the care options are limited.

I note some comments;

1. "our money diminishing as i retired": Indeed. Your money is increasing in Thailand? I would be grateful for some tips then, as that's not my case.

2. "our son stuck in a school where the police stood at the gates"; The police stand at some of the technical school gates in Thailand as the students have a habit of shooting each other. Also, a young student is more likely to be a viictm of a gun related crime or vehicular injury in Thailand than in the UK.

3. " the muslims were constantly marching ,complaining and generally causing trouble" Ok, you might have a point as they only engage in mayhem and murder in the south for now. Mind you, the Iranian grenade tosser might be a sign of things to come.

You must have worked very hard to dramatise something out of nothing !

• Like 2

My father lives in northern Thailand and has been a resident for many long years.

He loves the place and manages to live on a small US pension without too much hardship.

He has nothing to go back to in the states after all of these years but he has managed to carve out a very nice peaceful existence in NongKhai, being an artist, teaching art and teaching the local kids English from his home.

NongKhai is my second home, although I have emigrated to Australia, my work takes me to SE Asia so I manage to combine the best of both worlds.

Yes I agree for me it is certainly a more free way of life, it certainly has more advantages over the western way of life, but if I am being realistic I dont know whether I could retire in Thailand.

The "cons" is the visa situation. I watch my father go through the annual ritual and you are very much dependent on the immigration regime of the day or the exchange rates.

Health wise as you get older is another consideration ( no different to the west I guess) but there are no back ups if you are alone and this is something always foremost on my mind when it comes down to my Dad.

I supose at the end of the day you live for now, and the "what ifs" you handle as and when but I prefer to be in charge of my destiny rather than...

• Like 2

There are worse places than Britain. USA

comes to mind.

I'm just very happy I don't have

to live there any longer.

The rest of us in the Us are very happy also that you are no longer there.

Thank you.

I know I know. Americans are too proud to admit the facts. But at least the Brits acknowledge reality er come to terms.

Edited by chops

What you are referring to is lawless freedom,that allows the drunk driver to pay his way out,and buy your way out of many other crimes too.

Nobody likes paying Parking Fees,but hey, is that one of the reasons to leave home?

Whilst I don't like the way men are being watched in case they are a Pedos,I accept,that at least someone is doing the necessary observation,if you are not a Pedo,you have nothing to fear,only a little injured pride,I can live with that, if it helps stop the Torture of innocent children.

And what's wrong with Security at School Gates,Remember the Nut cases (in the UK & USA) that gained access to schools and shot/slaughtered kids and Teachers wholesale,a few years ago?

• Like 1

I note some comments;

The reason my money was diminishing was that as i earned rather a lot,if i retired that would go down ,it did not mean i was poor,happily if i should succumb to an illness i am well able to pay my bills here. but thanks for the concern.

The reason my money was diminishing was that as i earned rather a lot,if i retired that would go down ,it did not mean i was poor,happily if i should succumb to an illness i am well able to pay my bills here. but thanks for the concern.

Ok. So you did not retire in the UK. Does this mean that you are employed in Thailand? If so what is your occupation? I too am financially secure, but I have limited confidence in the Thai medical system. There is no accountability and a foreign patient hasn't clue if the hospital he is checking into has a c.difficile infection crisis or if the ventilation ducts in a surgery are contaminated with mold.

• Like 1

We are lucky that we are here now and enjoying the freedoms mentioned because watch this space; in 50 years time everything the OP complains about in Britain will be the same here. We had all these freedoms in Britain 50 years ago so you can be as sure as tomorrow follows today, that Thailand will go the same way.

• Like 2

The OP, like all British Citizens enjoys the freedom to live overseas, but go back home if and when the <deleted> hits the fan.

Of course we can have a debate about how illness is not going to happen, or if it does, how an individual can or cannot pay for treatment and care. But those discussions are always loaded with personal views which may or may not be supported by facts.

The facts come out in the statistics.

I don't know how many retired foreigners there are in Thailand, I doubt anyone really does. But I do know that there are very reliable statistics for the progression of the diseases of old age.

The OP, you, me or any of us might not want old age to come with its diseases, we might wish, hope or believe these things will not happen to us, or that we are prepared should they do so.

But the fact of the matter is they will happen to a predictable number of us.

Now here's an observation, I've been living in Thailand on and off for 20 years, when I first came here there were very very few foreigners living here full time - That has changed dramatically. Look around now and there are large numbers of old guys retired here, some places very large numbers.

This is a step change in a demographic group of foreigners who are facing the certainty of old age disease and welfare issues.

This is going to have a number of impacts - The first of course is a direct impact on the individuals and their families (if they have established relationships and families here - well the kind that are going to stick around when <deleted> need wiping). The second impact is going to be on the Thai medical and welfare services.

It is going to eventually dawn on the Thai government that the large numbers of old foreigners that Thailand has imported is in fact an imported welfare disaster in the making.

Sometime in the not too distant future Thailand is going to wake up to this fact and it is at that time the OP, and others like him are going to realise the real freedom that the UK has given them in the right to come and go without let or hindrance.

That putting aside a sizeable number who are going to realise exactly what the impact of Thailand's property laws are, and the importance of trust law as they are stripped of their assets in this land of the free untethered, un regulated, uncontrolled smiles.

The OP, like all British Citizens enjoys the freedom to live overseas, but go back home if and when the <deleted> hits the fan.

Of course we can have a debate about how illness is not going to happen, or if it does, how an individual can or cannot pay for treatment and care. But those discussions are always loaded with personal views which may or may not be supported by facts.

The facts come out in the statistics.

I don't know how many retired foreigners there are in Thailand, I doubt anyone really does. But I do know that there are very reliable statistics for the progression of the diseases of old age.

The OP, you, me or any of us might not want old age to come with its diseases, we might wish, hope or believe these things will not happen to us, or that we are prepared should they do so.

But the fact of the matter is they will happen to a predictable number of us.

Now here's an observation, I've been living in Thailand on and off for 20 years, when I first came here there were very very few foreigners living here full time - That has changed dramatically. Look around now and there are large numbers of old guys retired here, some places very large numbers.

This is a step change in a demographic group of foreigners who are facing the certainty of old age disease and welfare issues.

This is going to have a number of impacts - The first of course is a direct impact on the individuals and their families (if they have established relationships and families here - well the kind that are going to stick around when <deleted> need wiping). The second impact is going to be on the Thai medical and welfare services.

It is going to eventually dawn on the Thai government that the large numbers of old foreigners that Thailand has imported is in fact an imported welfare disaster in the making.

Sometime in the not too distant future Thailand is going to wake up to this fact and it is at that time the OP, and others like him are going to realise the real freedom that the UK has given them in the right to come and go without let or hindrance.

That putting aside a sizeable number who are going to realise exactly what the impact of Thailand's property laws are, and the importance of trust law as they are stripped of their assets in this land of the free untethered, un regulated, uncontrolled smiles.

You said, "and the importance of trust law as they are stripped of their assets in this land" What do you mean? You lost me.

You said, "and the importance of trust law as they are stripped of their assets in this land" What do you mean? You lost me.

What I mean is, that Trust Law is the primary means by which the assets of people who cannot take care their own affairs are protected under UK law. And indeed the means by which assets can be protected on behalf of children and dependents.

It is common practice to place the assets, wealth, home of people suffering the diseases of old age which affect the ability to remember/think clearly, into trust. Thereby protecting them against those who might wish to strip the helpless old person of those assets, wealth, home.

Likewise it is common practice to place willed estates into trust to protect the assets on behalf of young children or dependents who might not themselves be able to reliably protect themselves against the theft of the estate.

Thailand has no trust law.

Edited by GuestHouse
  • Like 1

The answer to the last two posters are ,firstly in 50 years time ,who amongst us will care ,we will all be long gone and to be honest ,God alone knows what state the world will be in. as for the Thai govt realizing that there are large numbers of old foreign guys here needing looking after ,well i dont kid myself ,there may be lots of us in the tourist centres but as a whole we are a small minority ,and as for having my arse wiped ,i am certain that my wife will ,and my money is safe in Britain in a joint account.

Best of luck.

You are going to need it.

I understand entirely what the OP is saying and agree in principle with most of it. However, I also understand what Guesthouse is saying. No country is perfect but Canada comes out better than most. But, there is much about Canada that is truly wrong and I hate the loss of my income by stupid laws and useless regulations. Our political system is a mess and a total waste of money. It is waste and hypocrisy that I hate more than anything.

As someone with a steady income that is enough for me providing I stay single, I can live almost for free in Thailand. I have a large, paid for home in Canada that I just shut down while I'm in Thailand. All I have to pay is taxes and minimal heating and electricity. What I save by not paying for heating while I'm in Thailand more than covers the cost of accommodation while I'm in Thailand.

Because I don't break the laws of Thailand I seldom run into problems there. I treat everyone with respect and a big smile on my face. Call me naive, but it has served me well for 15 years. I have more loving than any 70 year old man can handle, and certainly more than any 70 year old man in North America... and with prettier partners who actually do like me.

But, I also realize that the time is coming when my health will eventually fail and I'll need medical attention. At that point in the game I'll have to decide when to retire to some hospital to spend my final days. My children in Canada are well taken care of and will inherit my home and savings. I'll just have to decide whether I die alone in a Canadian hospital or pay some Thai woman to take care of me as a nurse would, and give her a share of my estate.

• Like 1

There are worse places than Britain. USA comes to mind.

I'm just very happy I don't have to live there any longer.

Agreed! As an American, the main reasons I left are

- 40% of my paycheck gone before I receive it

- Ridiculous property taxes on family houses ($12,000/year in my county)

- No health Insurance? Then please die quietly; away from the marble entrance of our private hospital

- University tuition ($50,000/ year over 4 years $200,000 for a Bachelor degree)

- Crazy Rednecks! (Tea Party)

- New Gingrich

- Barack Obama let us down!

• Like 1

Honestly, Thailand is not such a bad place to live.

Unfortunately, owning my home is a basic non negotiable requirement. I'm afraid CambodiaVisa or BurmaVisa will soon become the forums of reference for long term residents in SE Asia.

Edited by JurgenG

Best of luck.

You are going to need it.

Why am i going to need it,? i presume thst you think my wife will not look after me ,if thats the case i know many silly guys marry here in haste and repent at leisure but just as many of us have loving marriages with children and good thai families.

Not at all, I simply presume you are aware that the flip side of the rules, regulations and society that you discuss in your open bleat is that that in the UK you have legal rights and legal protections which you do not have here.

You need luck here - without it you have no recourse to any other protections other than to take the big silver bird back home.

• Like 1

So OP came here for the freedom to drink and drive and to be free from peaceful Muslim protesting. He must be looking forward to Songkran. Plenty of drinking and driving and the police mostly spend time cleaning up the mess as opposed to arresting violaters. As for Muslims, he, despite undoubtably being fluent in Thai, most have missed the Southern Insurgency, nearly endless string of violent terrorist attacks, including teachers beheaded infront of their students, an example just a few days ago being the huge car bomb that murdered 13 and injuried scores.

I wonder what will happen though when OP has a problem with his spouse, or a neighbor, or a contractor or a hospital or a police officer or anyone for matter and his needs aren't rightfully served? Will he then be bemoaning the Thai legal system and "racism against farangs"? Will Thailand than go from Lawless Paradise to Banana Republic?

• Like 1

One last point, my wife is Thai and hates that strangers in Thailand think they have the right to touch our child with their dirty bacteria ridden hands. It really is quite unnessecary. Americans acknowledge that my daughter is adorable verbally and frankly that is more than enough for us.