Epoxy Glue

T_Dog

It seems to be difficult to find good epoxy glue at a reasonable price in Thailand so I thought I would post a photo of some stuff a rain gutter guy recommended. It is available at most large hardware stores even up-country from what I have seen. At just over 200 baht for a kg, it is a great value.

I've used this on just about everything and it is great stuff. Once mixed, it is not exactly like putty but it is thick enough to not run on whatever you are working on. You have about 30-45 minutes of working time and it cures hard in about 18 hours and can be sanded. I have used a lot of epoxies and this is good stuff. Make sure you use separate sticks to get the A and B out of the jars so you don't contaminate one part. If you try this stuff you will never use the consumer epoxy in tubes again.

Now if I can just find some less viscous epoxy like West Systems.

post-498-0-17309700-1333969267_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Believe I've seen that at work before. I need to seal the edges of our balcony a water leaks through when raining. What color is the final dried mix?

The cured color is an off-white. Not quite white but close.

Believe I've seen that at work before. I need to seal the edges of our balcony a water leaks through when raining. What color is the final dried mix?

The cured color is an off-white. Not quite white but close.

Thanks, that sounds good as the balcony is off white (tiled).

Thanks. I bought some today made by Bosny (2 containers, 1Kg total) in a Bangkok HomePro for 179 baht. I'm hoping it actually works good for bonding metals, glass, fiberglass, ceramic, , etc., along with concrete/stone. Its instructions says it does. That is, the odds and ends you want to repair and usually end up buying a couple small tubes of epoxy for around a 100 baht. This link shows the stuff I bought: http://www.bosny.com/che_epoxy.html

Edited by Pib
  • Thanks 1

T_Dog, do you think that epoxy putty can be used for sculpting? I'm looking for a material for making small fiberglass molds, I've tried the Bosny putty Pib mentioned, but it's too hard for carving and sanding after it hardens.

T_Dog, do you think that epoxy putty can be used for sculpting? I'm looking for a material for making small fiberglass molds, I've tried the Bosny putty Pib mentioned, but it's too hard for carving and sanding after it hardens.

I just tried sanding a bit here and seems sand-able to me. Not so sure about carving but I believe it would be easier than the Bosny. For 200 baht, you could mix up a batch and do a test.

I just tried sanding a bit here and seems sand-able to me. Not so sure about carving but I believe it would be easier than the Bosny. For 200 baht, you could mix up a batch and do a test.

Thank you, I'll keep an eye for it next time I go to the hardware store.

I think Epoxy T_Dog identified and the Epoxy I identified are different formulas based on his description of long potting and drying times and the descripion on mine in the link which has a short potting time and shorter drying time. Kinda like those different epoxy formulas/tubes you can buy at places like Lotus....some are fast drying, some medium drying, some long drying. I plan on using the epoxy I bought for repairing/gluing a whole variety of things and where a fast drying time would be preferable....I'm tired of buying those little tubes of epoxy at Lotus at around 100 baht.

I think Epoxy T_Dog identified and the Epoxy I identified are different formulas based on his description of long potting and drying times and the descripion on mine in the link which has a short potting time and shorter drying time. Kinda like those different epoxy formulas/tubes you can buy at places like Lotus....some are fast drying, some medium drying, some long drying. I plan on using the epoxy I bought for repairing/gluing a whole variety of things and where a fast drying time would be preferable....I'm tired of buying those little tubes of epoxy at Lotus at around 100 baht.

The Bosny epoxy is good, bonds well to most things I've tried it on. It hardens in two or three hours, fully cures in about 24.

Be careful if you keep it for a long time after opening it, the stuff in the green pot seems to age or exude some chemical that will burn the hair off your nostrils if you take a whiff when you open it.

Another option is Lanko 534. It's marketed as being for "Rebar Anchoring" but the data sheet suggests that its is suitable for all the usual epoxy tricks. (http://www.davco.com.my/images/product/Lanko%20534.pdf from the malaysian site so the data sheet is english but the number is the same for Lanko Thailand).

Just under 600baht for 2kg (also comes in a 1kg kit). Don't have any first hand experience with it yet. But can report back at the end of the week.

• 10 months later...

There's a new epoxy in town. This is Draga epoxy is showing up in the hardware stores and it is pretty good stuff. Consistency is not as thick as the putty varieties, but it stays put well as it is definitely not runny. Sands okay and seems usable for up to 30 minutes. 230 baht for .5 kg so a good price as well.

8548013092_500f6084ae.jpg8548012988_3a4fddb817.jpg

• Like 1

Would one of those epoxies be any good to make 'Epoxy Granite'?

This is Epoxy mixed with aggregate.

I want to use it like this:

http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCMillEpoxyFill.htm

I've used a lot of West Systems epoxy back in the USA and haven't found anything like it in Thailand. The Draga stuff might work if the color is already close to what you need. We had granite put in and the crew used a clear epoxy that they mixed up with powder to get the right color. They didn't use very much as their seam was already razor thin.

There are plenty of types of "epoxy" of this opaque, pasty, rebar anchoring, bathroom floor sealing type available cheaply eg at Global House.

However I wonder if it is the same chemical type as the clear West type I used to use for yacht work, to which you could add micro filaments, micro bubbles, etc for different abilities like sand ability, strength etc.

I remember if one mixed up the clear one, one had to be very careful of the exothermic reaction. Ie if you made anything more than a very small batch you had to run it around a large tray to keep it from overheating......which overheating would make it very runny at first (very useful for impregnating say rotten wood) but it would then go off very fast indeed, and reach a dangerous heat leaving you with a hard lump of useless resin you could not dream of touching for a long time unless you wanted third degree burns. I don't think this is true of the white one (??).

Possibly Kh Jean if you mix in stones it would buffer the heat, just be very aware about it especially as you would be mixing a large batch.

In any case if you are in CM I know where to get both clear epoxy and polyester resin......opposite side of the road and looking right as you come out of the British Consulate.

I was going to use epoxy to fix loose teak parquet tiles by injecting through small holes (it also soaks into and solidifies any loose substrate). I opted for polyester resin as it's much cheaper, easier to just add drops of catalyst. Only disadvantage not quite so strong and it shrinks very slightly, but the job came out very well and a few hours work saved me reflooring the whole condo.

Edited by cheeryble
  • Like 1

Glad you bumped this thread. I presume it will be sufficient for what I need in the topic I posted earlier?

I presume you are referring to the granite topic and these epoxies would probably work if you can get the color right.