Sending Money To Thailand

mittheimp

What is the best way to send money to Thailand from the UK. My wife sends a very modest amount to her mum every two months or so - maybe 60 or 70 pounds. She does this simply by posting it (in sterling) to her mum. Obviously this is a bit risky - but as the amounts are quite small is there any point doing it anyother way? Providing the money arrives is this the best way (taking into account exchange rates) or do you suggest any other?

Thanks!

I second Britmaveric's advice. This is exactly what I do for my wife. Bear in mind that there are banking fees associated with each withdrawal from an ATM overseas, so check out what these will cost you before you make a final decision.

Also, if available, consider using Western Union or a Thai bank in the UK. My ex-wife, who is also Thai, used to remit money to her family via the Bank of Thailand (???) that had a branch office in Los Angeles, USA.

What is the best way to send money to Thailand from the UK.  My wife sends a very modest amount to her mum every two months or so - maybe 60 or 70 pounds.  She does this simply by posting it (in sterling) to her mum.  Obviously this is a bit risky - but as the amounts are quite small is there any point doing it anyother way? Providing the money arrives is this the best way (taking into account exchange rates) or do you suggest any other?

Thanks!

Get her to open a thai bank account. Transactions between UK & Thailand take 3 days providing you have the correct information & swift code.

(Note: be sure to tell your UK bank that the money will be converted to THB on arrival or you'll lose out, especially on larger amounts!)

What is the best way to send money to Thailand from the UK.  My wife sends a very modest amount to her mum every two months or so - maybe 60 or 70 pounds.  She does this simply by posting it (in sterling) to her mum.  Obviously this is a bit risky - but as the amounts are quite small is there any point doing it anyother way? Providing the money arrives is this the best way (taking into account exchange rates) or do you suggest any other?

Thanks!

Get her to open a thai bank account. Transactions between UK & Thailand take 3 days providing you have the correct information & swift code.

(Note: be sure to tell your UK bank that the money will be converted to THB on arrival or you'll lose out, especially on larger amounts!)

I believe there is a charge for this, i have used this before for a large amount. Not worth it for small amounts.

Thanks!

That sounds like the best solution, I live in Denmark but spends long periods in Thailand as well, I opened an account with SCB and transfer Danish Kr. from my Danish account to the Thai, then I'll always have money available and can use my Thai ATM card to withdraw.

Nationwide flex account.

No overseas ATM charges  :o

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/banking/curren.../flex-intro.htm

pay no charges for overseas usage

enjoy free day to day banking

This is the Quickest-Cheapest -Easiest and you get the INTERBANK exchange Rate with NO charges...Mi Mee one s"tang :D

Setup a separate bank account in UK and then give your mum in law an atm card/pin. Then whenever you need send dosh - add it to the bank account and notify her she can go to atm and withdraw whatever amount you alot.

For the amount involved the above is the only logical way to do it and the Nationwide account is the one to use from the UK.

Setup a separate bank account in UK and then give your mum in law an atm card/pin. Then whenever you need send dosh - add it to the bank account and notify her she can go to atm and withdraw whatever amount you alot.

For the amount involved the above is the only logical way to do it and the Nationwide account is the one to use from the UK.

In the eyes of the OP you're probably right but my concern is that a UK ATM card could fall into the wrong hands, leading to potential problems for the person that obtained it.