Co-Pilots' Absence Causes THAI Flight Delays

webfact

Co-pilots' absence causes THAI flight delays

The Nation

BANGKOK:-- Many Thai Airways flights were delayed on Friday due to mass leaves of absence by the national carrier's co-pilots.

The co-pilots were asking for increased benefits and expressing their discontent with some executives of Thai Airways International Plc, a source said.

However, a senior executive of the airline blamed increased flights to meet the higher demand during the Songkran festival for the delays of some THAI flights.

THAI Executive Vice President of Operations, Asdavut Watanangura, said in a statement released on Friday that increased flights and leaves of absence by a number of pilots during Songkran led to the delays. However, he added that the impacts were minimal and the airline's services would not be affected.

Passengers can obtain information about THAI flights from its Contact Centre (phone number: 02 356 1111), or its website (www.thaiairways.com)

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-04-14

I dunno....I would feel more comfortable if they were choosing to be late vs. being late because their busy. If they're late because they're busy, that would lead me to believe they may be overworked and running from plane to plane. Surely Thai air would follow international regulations on allowable flying time for pilots and co-pilots, right?!

coffee1.gif What's really the issue here is that both pilots and co-pilots (flight engineers and cabin staff too...but that's not mentioned in the article) have specific duties they must perform BEFORE they enter the plane to start their flight preparations. The airlines are requiring more of these non-flight activities. The regulations for crew rest time only apply to rest time between FLIGHT times....these required non-flight preparation activities are not counted in the regulations.

So the airlines involved are requiring flight personnel to perform these non-flying duties in their mandated "free time" outside their flight related preparations by Pilots and Co-pilots. Of course the unions involved don't like this.

licklips.gif

There is a Thai Airways Pilot in my wife's family whom I meet from time to time. He is a senior Captain with 14 years experience and he tells me it's only his age and the fact that his family are his pride and joy that keep him working for Thai. Many of his friends have gone to work for Middle Eastern Airlines where the money and conditions are far better. They are trying to recruit (poach?) a lot of Thai Airways pilots to initially take the Co-pilot's seat. Companies like Emirates are expanding at a very fast pace and offer high cash incentives, so for the younger man eager to improve his status and earning capabilities it seems a better prospect. Me thinks Thai are running short of happy crews and it is starting to show.

The money offered by overseas airlines is one very strong incentive, but the disincentive is simply that they have to live overseas. In the Middle East that can be OK, or downright awful - places in the UAE like Dubai and Abu Dhabi are OK (Emirates and Etihad bases respectively), but other countries such as Qatar (Qatar Airways) would definitely be less attractive. Places such as Australia, the UK, or even US suffer from extremely high cost of living including horrendous tax rates, so again they are less than attractive to many - and its not just pilots or crew in this context either.

Although there is a squeeze in the airline industry, Thai charges world class rates for its international flights, so as "hellodolly" mentioned, money should surely be available.

To be honest I'll take the delay if a disgruntled pilot/co-pilot is taking leave at peak flying time because he/she doesn't want to pay tax on their allowance increase plus other issues. Let's face it do you want a pi**ed off crew member in the cockpit. It's bad enough when the flight attendants are having a bad day.

Edited by Bluespunk

Thai Airways are expensive, I have stopped travelling with them until, they drop their prices dramatically. I find it a lot cheaper flying with Emerates and have all the same benefits. I did travel with Thai Airways for years.

• Like 1

It's not just Thai right now, but other Star Alliance members too and it is causing havoc in the system. Air Canada is in the throes of a labour dispute with the government forcing the pilots union and the ground staff union into an "arbitration". The result has been pilots calling in sick too.

United has had some issues too.

The end result is passengers not only get the pleasure of frowning desk staff, they have the delights of miserable FAs all topped off with the joys of flight delays.

The big mystery for me is how Thai airways remains in business? It's usually at least 1.5x more expensive than the competition and quality for what you get is below average. I haven't seen any reason to fly Thai airways in several years of traveling to and from Thailand and I doubt they can exist solely from Thai travelers. Are they just soaking up billions every year in government subsidies? Seems like an unprofitable business bound for failure.

Tourists need not be concerned. Many Somchais, the local street food vendors have been recruited for emergency service to man those co-pilot seats. Thai Air management has insisted that equal proportions of transgenders and females be included in the instant replacement recruiting. Tourism will be unaffected and short delays of 5-6 hours is a small price for the sheep tourists to endure. Thailand's revenue grabbing is way more important than customer service.

• Like 1

To be honest I'll take the delay if a disgruntled pilot/co-pilot is taking leave at peak flying time because he/she doesn't want to pay tax on their allowance increase plus other issues. Let's face it do you want a pi**ed off crew member in the cockpit. It's bad enough when the flight attendants are having a bad day.

one of the issues the young pilots face is to pay back their (expansive) training, So after paying the loan instalment, the remaining part of salary is not very high, and life around airports is not cheap.

Amazing Thai Airways, here we are again with some more good news from them, it's never ending.  All their excuses about fuel prices,  Ha Ha mismanagement is better and nearer the truth. Executives, VIP, board members and families, government officials, TAT, and all the other hangers on......the PERKS are one reason for their downfall, again where are the fuel efficient new planes ???delayed again because of finance, and the Thai customers having to pay top prices for tickets. Thai you are a joke,  I WAS with you, but not for years now, I left your company/airline when you stopped caring.

• Like 1

Thai Airways are expensive, but someone has to pay for the executive and high echlon staff perks, free flights for family and friends etc !

I read not so long ago where this is a real problem with Thai Air, and having seen some of the goings on with government officials and the like, i have no problem believing this.

• Like 1

Tourists need not be concerned. Many Somchais, the local street food vendors have been recruited for emergency service to man those co-pilot seats. Thai Air management has insisted that equal proportions of transgenders and females be included in the instant replacement recruiting. Tourism will be unaffected and short delays of 5-6 hours is a small price for the sheep tourists to endure. Thailand's revenue grabbing is way more important than customer service.

Tuk Tuk drivers, mini bus drivers, cement truck drivers as co pilots i can understand, but local street food vendors is drawing a long bow i think.....c'mon, you are kidding me. coffee1.gif

Perhaps TG might consider recruiting non-Thais as flight-crew ? Or perhaps not ... cool.png

Or they could hire some Phuket taxi drivers. rolleyes.gif

The tuk-tuk drivers already being star fighter-pilots, in the RTAF, presumably ? tongue.png

Gripen LCA = tuk tuk of the skies. :rolleyes:

It's not just Thai right now, but other Star Alliance members too and it is causing havoc in the system. Air Canada is in the throes of a labour dispute with the government forcing the pilots union and the ground staff union into an "arbitration". The result has been pilots calling in sick too.

United has had some issues too.

The end result is passengers not only get the pleasure of frowning desk staff, they have the delights of miserable FAs all topped off with the joys of flight delays.

Unitedhas issues alright and it is not entirely with the crews. To be fair, most of the US carriers have issues. Like piss-poor service.

Thai Airways are expensive, I have stopped travelling with them until, they drop their prices dramatically. I find it a lot cheaper flying with Emerates and have all the same benefits. I did travel with Thai Airways for years.

same here, and in the past 5 years Thai have stood still while the quality of emerates has increased , i read somewhere that Thai have ordered some new aircraft , ...............looks like they've been delayed though !! .....................AGAIN.