When Farangs Not Must Pay Farangprice At National Parks?,After Maried Or Us A Local Resident?

Sandman77

Hello!

Can some one explain me the law of farang entry price policy for national parks and local attractions?

My colleague maried with thai woman 20 years have 2 children and life 8 year now in Thailand never pay farang prices!

But everywhere in Thailand the never ask me are you married or not , the only want more money!

So what the law says about this in Thailand?people are married and show there local resident card not must pay more? Or married alone enough?

When I can show non immigrant o visa , is it also possible to enter national park without paying more?

Maybe in future we pay also the double for BBQ buffet or whatever!

Sometimes is more then the double I fly around to 15 country's in my life , but not must pay more for see attractions!

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are no rules governing this. It seems to be up the the whim of the person selling tickets. Some have said that showing a work permit get you the local price, others have said that it does not work all the time. No rules, no way to say what will happen on any given day.

I have always just shown my Thai Driving license and got the normal local price. Only in Pattaya ( Mini Siam etc ) have they not allowed me to enter but that is a tourist thing rather than national park etc. But when they did not I simply voted with my feet.

• Like 1

Going back a few years, I understood that if you show proof that you pay tax in Thailand, then you get the local price. In my experience, showing a work permit does no good at all. But then, neither did showing I paid Thai tax in the one time I tried it!!!

This was always a bone of contention with me, especially, as I hazard a guess, I paid more in tax in one month then what many workers pay in a year.

It seems to be up the the whim of the person selling tickets.

No truer words said.....

Only once in 20 years did a ticket taker at a national park ever not give me Thai price upon presentation of a local drivers license.

Works for me too. Flash your Thai driving licence and a few words of Thai and you're in. If you are resident and can't be bothered to acquire either of these attributes, just pay up and stop complaining.

Whatever the "law" may be in this or most any situation is completely irrelevant.

What usually works for me is to go in with a bunch of Thais, speak Thai in a very relaxed and friendly way with the guys at the gate, then when they ask me for the farang price I show a copy of my last year's tax receipt.

Has worked about 3/4 of the time.

When it doesn't and I'm really skint, I'll walk away and have a nap to wait for my friends, and once this caused the guard to relent, and another time my Thai friends chipped in and paid for me.

Can you really imagine walking around when you go out to visit a park carrying a "Tax Receipt" - Do Thai even know what one is?

I don't just imagine it, everyone I know in this situation does it, why do you find it surprising?

Every person working legally in Thailand receives their tax receipt (no need for quotes) from their employer every year. That includes the Thais of course, so yes they know what it is.

Or do you think it's just not worth worrying about a piddling few hundred baht?

PS This sometimes even works at private places with dual pricing, like Ocean World. But less so, since the justification about tax dollars doesn't really apply.

PPS Love your user name, do you give or just receive?

Edited by BigJohnnyBKK

Forgot my ID (Songkran, left everything at home, a note or 5 in a plastic bag) on Friday going to a national park. Got in for Thai price by speaking Thai, though being in a group of 10 or so Thais, one of whom was paying, probably helped.

Previously, driving licence has always worked, except at Ayutthaya. I returned a year later, with the requested tax ID card, work permit, passport and driving licence and she let me in for the Thai price having inspected all. Well worth it, not for the 10B reduction (10B as opposed to 20B), but because I knew the old witch collecting the money hated me doing it. She was one of those......

Forgot my ID (Songkran, left everything at home, a note or 5 in a plastic bag) on Friday going to a national park. Got in for Thai price by speaking Thai, though being in a group of 10 or so Thais, one of whom was paying, probably helped.

Previously, driving licence has always worked, except at Ayutthaya. I returned a year later, with the requested tax ID card, work permit, passport and driving licence and she let me in for the Thai price having inspected all. Well worth it, not for the 10B reduction (10B as opposed to 20B), but because I knew the old witch collecting the money hated me doing it. She was one of those......

Now that's what I call crazy farang putting principles above practicality - but I love it 8-)

Can you really imagine walking around when you go out to visit a park carrying a "Tax Receipt" - Do Thai even know what one is?

I don't just imagine it, everyone I know in this situation does it, why do you find it surprising?

Every person working legally in Thailand receives their tax receipt (no need for quotes) from their employer every year. That includes the Thais of course, so yes they know what it is.

PS This sometimes even works at private places with dual pricing, like Ocean World. But less so, since the justification about tax dollars doesn't really apply.

Well for a nationalpark I gladly pay more or donate something if I have at least a small hope that I do something good with that money.

Private places like Ocean World which want to make more profit: I just boycot them.

• Like 1

Now let me see; do I have all the things I may need to get into the park for half price? Right, got my Passport, Thai Driving Licence, House Yellow Book, Tax Receipts, Thai Bank Card, Bank Statement, Wife Et al. Ahh; it's Songkran so maybe I should put all these things,bar the Mrs,in a plastic bag in case I get drenched on the way. No; maybe I should put each item in seperate bags in case water gets in the one big one ! Oh <deleted>, I will just forget all this crap, stop being a Cheap Charlie, and pay the full price.

Christ alive. How long has it been since the last 'farang pricing at National Park thread'?

Three hours? Four?

We should make a price for posting on that topics

How about 5 Baht for Thais and 50 Baht for Farangs

• Like 1

Christ alive. How long has it been since the last 'farang pricing at National Park thread'?

Three hours? Four?

How much for Thai farangs?

Double the normal white man price (100bht), as they were clearly rich enough to buy citizenship.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Three hours? Four?

5 Baht if you give me 20 Baht under the table

Three hours? Four?

Double the normal white man price (100bht), as they were clearly rich enough to buy citizenship.

Only cost me 12,000 baht -- but yes, this might seem a princely sum for someone who pulls in less per month than my gardener.

Only cost me 12,000 baht -- but yes, this might seem a princely sum for someone who pulls in less per month than my gardener.

I was thinking of the 120kbht/month plus, income requirement before you can apply, rather than the 12kbht payment that went with the application form.

I was thinking of the 120kbht/month plus, income requirement before you can apply, rather than the 12kbht payment that went with the application form.

Only 60K for married folks.

We've been through this before, though: you're sore because you don't qualify for Thai citizenship due to the fact that you are working illegally in a prohibited profession and -- even then -- making less than a pimple-faced burger flipper at McDonalds.

We get it. Time to get over it.

making less than a pimple-faced burger flipper at McDonalds.

We get it. Time to get over it.

You should watch the movie 'American Beauty', he was happy flipping burgers, earning loads of money isn't a life goal for all of us.

If you elect to be poor but happy, you have to accept that there are many things you will be able to do.

Get Thai citizenship is one of them.

Don't waste your time visiting any national parks in Thailand. Many places are awful and loaded with litter from (guess who) - the thousands of Thai visitors on weekend or holiday trips - who treat these forests and parks like toilets. Other countries in North America, Africa, the Himalayas all have great national parks that are superior both visually and enviromentally

Edited by Time Traveller

Only once in 20 years did a ticket taker at a national park ever not give me Thai price upon presentation of a local drivers license.

Except that national parks did not have double pricing 20 years ago. I think they introduce that unholy scam counter productive policy vis-a-vis promoting tourism, what, 12 years or so ago?

Yes. And yes. Unlike you, apparently.

(It's a tax card that you get after registering to pay income tax, which is a step part of getting a work permit.)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai