Songkran With A Slingshot....

4evermaat

This year I decided to participate in Songkran water spraying. Setup a couple of buckets with water. No added chemicals, just the tap water and I cleaned the buckets ahead of time with soap. The property is conveniently placed right around a corner and it is easy to take a speeder by surprise. Anyway, Sunday I was doing the normal water splashing from various passerbyers with my step-daughter (7 years old) appx 2pm and one older thai man (maybe 40-50-ish years old, riding at moderate speed) pulled over about 30 meters from where i spashed him after hesistating and appearing a little irritated about the spash. It just so happened that there was no one else coming at the time (one of those dead periods where no cars come, followed by a string of cars).

So he still hesistates a bit on his motorbike, then comes off and pulls out a slingshot and proceeds to yell something in thai, and fires a rock at me. He keeps coming closer and I say "cartoot" over and over, but he obviously wants to start something, he fired another shot. I'm contemplating briefly whether I will fist his face or just play it cool. I decide to play it cool and keep repeating "cartoot kup" and it wasn't until my gf steps out and explains in thai that I was just participating in the Songkran festival. He hesitantly goes away, and I continue the day, but the gf keeps the daughter up on the porch area for the remainder of the day. I saw later that his shot pierced a hole in one of the buckets. But he clearly came prepared to "get even" with someone. And it just so happened that virtually no passerby-ers during this time. My gf said he was upset that he got spashed and he did not want to get spashed. Of course he was not wearing a helmet.

Never happened to me before, and of the thousands of people I splashed, one sourpuss.. Judging by other TV posts, it could have been a worse ending; although if harm had come to the daughter, playing it cool would have been off the table. Outside of that, we had fun the entire weekend and it was very interesting to be on the splashing side of things.

Has something similar ever happened to or witnessed by anyone?

edit: I was not on beach road, but about 2km from the beach on the main road.

Edited by 4evermaat

It's not cool to splash motorbikes, especially without warning.

You're an idiot, or a troll. I hope it's the latter.

And this is from someone who *LOVES* Songkran. But please don't be a moron, endangering other peoples lives. You just don't get it. sad.png

You don't get it. Songkran in certain cities has been taken over by people like the OP (troll or not). BTW: Pattaya Songkran Is Too dam_n Long!bah.gif Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Personally I only splash people who are clearly up for it. You can usually spot them, they're carrying water pistols or driving around in pick-ups with barrels of iced water in the back. Quite often they're wet already and have talcum powder sludge smeared on their face/body/clothes....thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Yeah, makes sense if he's in Pattaya. Went there for Songkran once; big mistake.

Check out the awesome, respectful and FUN pictures of Songkran in most upcountry places though; Chiang Mai forum for example. I had a great time again this year celebrating with the family. And I do try to educate as much as possible, avoiding various dangers associated with the festival. I educate my kids, and, like above, I educate forum members too.

Someone in teh Chiang Mai forum summed it up very nicely, specifically about the Farang mind-set that a water fight is always an act of competition, or aggression even. In Thailand it remains predominantly a blessing; even when that blessing involves really a lot of water and cheeky fun, the blessing part remains there. But that balance is lost in some people, especially Farangs but also Thais especially when they overdo it with the alcohol, or are just idiots to begin with.

The OP shows this Farang mindset (or gives it away as a trolling attempt) most clearly here:

The property is conveniently placed right around a corner and it is easy to take a speeder by surprise.

The above is really quite ridiculous and shows what I meant when I said that he doesn't get it. Let's hope it dawns on him before next year. wai.gif

And to remain fair and balanced: Someone who goes out on a motorbike expecting to stay dry but DOES pack a sling shot also needs to go rethink his life.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 2

I am sorry that you had this sort of experience, however, unfortunately this SongKran it's a real battle with hundreds of real deaths and thousands of people in the hospitals, it's a bit of "fun" worth putting in danger human lifes??

Throwing water at people driving should be illegal, actually i think already it is, the most of the people always aims at the face of the other and taking by surprise, that's because they want to see something more consistent happening rather than just having someone wet.

Just yesterday i saw some kids in the street thowing with all their force, one of those metal bowls full of water at the helmet of a passing motocy, i mean, that guy got hit by a metal bowl but he just swerved a bit and continued riding as if nothing had happened, the kids obviously continued exactly in the same way, great eh?

My suggestion to you, and anybody else for that matter, if you really can't stop yourself from taking part in what "everybody else" is doing, at least try to do it with respect and more importantly, common sense!

To just sprinkle a bit of water to someone in an innocent way i guess would not have that same adrenaline running into you, but is way better than to put others and even yourself in danger methinks

"I am sorry that you had this sort of experience, however, unfortunately this SongKran it's a real battle with hundreds of real deaths"

Are there any "UNREAL" Deaths during this period? And if so how?

Edited by Philatio

Throwing water at motorbikes is just one of those things that is dangerous. I can understand Thai people not getting it but (presumably) better educated foreigners should understand it.

A slingshot, i might buy one of those too, but i would get some nice small marbles (kids play with those). I can just imagine the impact it has on flesh. Whoo hooo educating stupid foreigners with a slingshot. Such a novel idea.

A slingshot, i might buy one of those too, but i would get some nice small marbles (kids play with those). I can just imagine the impact it has on flesh. Whoo hooo educating stupid foreigners with a slingshot. Such a novel idea.

I imagine ball-bearings would be quite effective too.

I imagine ball-bearings would be quite effective too.

Great, i never thought of that. I love the way Thaivisa helps people. Educating idiot foreigners with a slingshot and ball-bearings. Must be the most effective way ever. Either they learn or they get hit with too many of hose ball bearings and succumb to their injuries.

I guess its better for Thai nationals to participate in this sport because if the foreigner gets killed by the ball bearings the police will say that he killed himself by walking into the path of the ball bearings.

biggrin.png

(my posts were made as a joke just to make it clear for people who did not see that)

• Like 1

OP you tried to kill a guy and are mad cause he shot a rock at you with a sling shot?

Yeah, makes sense if he's in Pattaya. Went there for Songkran once; big mistake.

Check out the awesome, respectful and FUN pictures of Songkran in most upcountry places though; Chiang Mai forum for example. I had a great time again this year celebrating with the family. And I do try to educate as much as possible, avoiding various dangers associated with the festival. I educate my kids, and, like above, I educate forum members too.

Someone in teh Chiang Mai forum summed it up very nicely, specifically about the Farang mind-set that a water fight is always an act of competition, or aggression even. In Thailand it remains predominantly a blessing; even when that blessing involves really a lot of water and cheeky fun, the blessing part remains there. But that balance is lost in some people, especially Farangs but also Thais especially when they overdo it with the alcohol, or are just idiots to begin with.

The OP shows this Farang mindset (or gives it away as a trolling attempt) most clearly here:

The property is conveniently placed right around a corner and it is easy to take a speeder by surprise.

The above is really quite ridiculous and shows what I meant when I said that he doesn't get it. Let's hope it dawns on him before next year. wai.gif......

I did not use a hose, let alone a high pressure one (I didn't mention a hose at all, but I didn't clarify the exact spashing device I was using). Just a mini bowl scoop (like the ones used for pale flush toilet) and tap water (nothing added). The "pressure" was nothing deadly or anywhere near that. A person (paying attention and/or driving at the speed limit) has enough time to see the water bucket. More than enough people had enough time to wave me off if they didn't want it, although there were a few that did it right as I raised up the dish. So no malicious intent, although I could have phrased the OP a bit better to reflect this.

I only saw one person use what appeared to be a fire hose when I ran into town the day before. It wasn't high pressure, but high volume and because I was stuck behind a car, the width of the spray I couldn't avoid the doucing :D

......And to remain fair and balanced: Someone who goes out on a motorbike expecting to stay dry but DOES pack a sling shot also needs to go rethink his life.

Especially when there is a beach nearby and a big market up the street. If he is so intelligent, experienced, and wise to his surroundings, why not take a back road or wear a poncho and/or helmet? Some of those other water throwers up the street have ice or put soap, lime juice, or some color chemical in the water. I planned the day so I didn't have to go out, but when I went out, I did so in the morning or late evening. Wore the poncho and helmet. Can't let a few sourpusses kill the whole day. How else could you survive being a TV member for any extended length of time.

I just want to ask these idiot Farangs including the OP, that throw water at moving motorbikes, to just stop and think for one minute about the problems they will face is someone is knocked of their bike and seriously gets injured, will you enjoy the rest of your time in Thailand? I doubt it.

Its a natural reaction to close your eye's and swerve when your hit while riding.

And to the OP, troll or not, I don't blame the Thai one bit, he should have hit you on the head, as there is no brain in there anyway to hurt

I see schools around starting local initiatives in making their students aware of "green issues" , some of you guys, are working as teachers here, why don't you do something similar showing how to enjoy yourself without the need of putting your/other people lifes in danger??

To make sure people don't turn their heads away after the first few words, you could use some of those funny cartoon thai styles instead of words...

Honestly, the increase in the violence and lack of responsability being showed by so many and the constantly higher power used in those water's propelled devices is really worrying...

Maybe the GF said "please forgive my moronic BF because he's got a learning disability...he can't learn to say kor tort properly and all he wants to do is play with his big gun the whole frigging day". tongue.png

he can't learn to say kor tort properly

No, that's not correct either :)

I personally dont think Songkran should be compulsory on those who dont wish to participate. I join in on Songkran, but in areas where EVERYONE knows you are going to get soaked. In that case, im prepared for a deluge.

IF you want to drive somewhere, get somewhere where you need to stay dry, i think its HUGELY inconsiderate for people to assume its ok to go soaking others. I dont recall reading the traditions of songkran was about chucking water on people riding motorbikes. If you take your motorbike into well known water zones, fair enough, but if you need to ride your bike, it must be pretty frustrating not to be able to get from A to B in a dry state (let alone safe state). Call me a Songkran grinch, i dont care, because its what i think. Fair enough if it lasted one day, we can all avoid driving for a night on New Years Eve if we want to, but water throwing happens for 3days +.

Dont blame the guy for slingshotting you bucket to be honest. If i was throwing water on people, id make sure they were up for it first.. not that id EVER stand by the road throwing water on drivers..because frankly i dont find possibly causing an accident fun.

As an aside, one thing i truly dread is ever needing an ambulance at Songkran. Hope will never happen.

Edited by eek

Totally agree with you eek. I have had many great times during Songkhran, but the main thing that sticks in my mind is many years ago when travelling.

I was on the last leg of my journey and had to take a local bus, no aircon, no working fans and so all the windows open.

At one juction an absolute deluge was thrown through the open windows. Everything was soaked. A lot of the people in the bus had been shopping and cardboard boxes were breaking open and stuff spilling out.

Everything in my baggage was soaked and a lot of it just had to be thrown away.

That is not fun, it's just being nasty

Songkran etiquette to some seems non existent. They'd probably still throw water on a man on the way to hospital with an open wound, or a guy in a plaster cast. Apparently if you are out, you are fair game, no matter what the situation, and if you complain you are not understanding "tradition" and being unsporting!

• Like 1

I did not use a hose, let alone a high pressure one (I didn't mention a hose at all, but I didn't clarify the exact spashing device I was using). Just a mini bowl scoop (like the ones used for pale flush toilet) and tap water (nothing added). The "pressure" was nothing deadly or anywhere near that. A person (paying attention and/or driving at the speed limit) has enough time to see the water bucket. More than enough people had enough time to wave me off if they didn't want it, although there were a few that did it right as I raised up the dish. So no malicious intent, although I could have phrased the OP a bit better to reflect this.

So the excuse for your stupid and dangerous action against somebody driving on a motorcycle is "other's do the same"???? How more stupid can you get? What if he would have fallen down and cracked his head???? Would you also say "other's do the same"????

Especially when there is a beach nearby and a big market up the street. If he is so intelligent, experienced, and wise to his surroundings, why not take a back road or wear a poncho and/or helmet?

So again, the excuse for your stupid and dangerous action against somebody driving on a motorcycle is "it's his own fault"???? How more stupid can you get? What if he would have fallen down and cracked his head???? Would you also say "it's his own fault, he could have worn a helmet"????