What To Wear In The Los To Avoid Looking Like A Reprobate?

HalfSquat

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With regards to clothing, in Thailand (as in most countries) only poor people who want to be rich (or really old crazy people) will think badly of you for dressing casually.

which is about 90-95 % of the population

Sorry, but I wear sandals or flipflops or whatever you call them all the time here, unless I have a business related meeting or function. Thais mostly wear them and it makes sense. Your feet will stay rash free and you can clean them when you go home.

I wear jeans and a dress shirt when going to immigration...sandals stay on. Guess you could go for one of the nicer looking leather ones if you want to look nicer.

I would say the biggest thing (in the eyes of the Thai people) is that everything is clean and free of holes. You really don't need to walk around like a fashion queen unless you want to. However, stained/ripped clothes will quickly draw comments.

Good answer.

I'm the same, except I never wear jeans on principle, and they're far too hot anyway. I do wear shoes to immigration though.

As for upper wear, it's always shorts and a t shirt ( except in immigration ).

Polo shirts and loose fitting jeans in the city. Polo shirts and decent shorts in Hua Hin, Pattaya etc.

I've never felt comfortable in teeshirts. I like the protection the collar on a polo shirt gives my neck.

NEVER ever ever wear vests or sleveless tops. Truly awful things.

You mean as in ,the collar covers my neck?No doubt you need that. Edited by pipo1000

Cargo shorts and tee shirts are for backpackers. Clean shaven with walking shorts and polo shirt are an easy, more respectable option. Sandals with this combo is fine. On nights out, just swap the shorts for some nice casual pants and casual shoes. This keeps things basic, easy and presentable.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

well...with regard to the sandals issue I usually lean heavily on my walking stick so that people declare: 'you poor man! there must be a wheel chair!...someone help!'

and I hate wearing shoes of any type (a diabetic disability) and any subterfuge is a reward...the little niece usually follows on her bike but she knows what I'm on about...'my darling!...I can't walk!...'...'uncle tutsi please get up and quit making a scene...as if things aren't bad enough already...'

http://www.google.co...9QEwAQ&dur=3597

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Quick Tip: golf clothing companies, like adiddas, Nike, make moisture wicking, breathable, quick drying clothes that are perfect for thailands heat. Very light and comfortable. Cost more than 150 B, but wearing a soaked tee shirt around is no fun.

Yes, I've been leaning in that direction a lot lately. Golf polo shirts can be had for about 2500 baht upwards and there are quite a lot on sale in the big malls. Only problem is I don't really play much golf!

Those shirtless t shirts really look bad on fat people. If your in shape you might get away with wearing them. I prefer to wear t shirts that are a bit more expensive and are made of better materials.

In and around the house i just wear old stuff and those fisherman pants for comfort. If im going out jeans and a nice t shirt and preferable some shoes.

Do people really get sunburnt here that easily? Im about as white as they come, ive ever had people back home say i look sickly white on my trips back. But in my years im still sporting only a slight darkness on my arms compaired to the rest of my paper white body.

Silly question really, only you know if you look like an idiot abroad or not, maybe you should post us a pic then let us decide. Nothing wrong with shorts, flip flops t,stirts etc, as long as your not a fat bald guy with huge beer belly wearing a gold bhudda amulet, singha vest, moses sandles and socks up to the knee that is just pure downright discusting, you usually see them around soi bukaew you know the types. Anyway i usually wear long sleeved shirt and nice jeans or long type respectable three quarter length shorts if going to get visa stamp or anything to do with government appointment. Common sense

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Do people really get sunburnt here that easily? Im about as white as they come, ive ever had people back home say i look sickly white on my trips back. But in my years im still sporting only a slight darkness on my arms compaired to the rest of my paper white body.

Yes, people who like to spend time outside in the sunshine without enough sunblock get sunburnt (and maybe worse)... I am normally with my Thai wife who is a master of avoiding direct exposure to the sun so I am still "whiter than white" (in appearance and behaviour)...

• Like 1

You are getting that slight darkness because you probably keep them exposed, so to avoid this, just keep them inside with the rest of your body and instruct whoever is feeding you to throw the food directly inside the box, that should solve it biggrin.png

post-73039-0-47769800-1334827508.jpg

Marks and Sparks y fronts,wellies, neck cloth and tri-corner or corner tied hanky..very chique and cool..

Boxers, and if I'm going out, I'll put something over them.

I still wear a tie for work, so's people can see from a mile off how pissed I am, on the way home in the evening.

Sturdy footwear is recommended for Bangkok pavements - nice shiny doctor martens combine fashion, healthy practicality and rugged smartness. And they're made locally, as anyone who knows their cobblers will tell you

SC

Edit: soctor replaced with doctor, thanks to kindly fellow-poster

You just can't get the proof-reeders these days...

Edited by StreetCowboy