Steps To Securing A Retirement Visa

I'm sorry to resort to having to make this post, but I am trying to find a step by step guide I should follow when I arrive in Bangkok May 1st. I already have secured the 90 day non "O" visa here in America. These boards are very helpful, but the info can be broad and needed to delve into several posts into order to put together a game plan. I'm actually turning 55 the 1st week in May (this is going to be the greatest BDay present I could give myself :-))and I plan on going the bank account method 800K baht into a thai bank (if anyone can recommend a preferable bank that would be appreciated, I have heard good thing about Siam Commercial) I have also tried googleing and all I get is a bunch of law firms that want your business. I will be doing all the necessary requirements to secure the retirement visa in Bangkok. Maybe this is a prelude on what to expect as TIT LOL!!

Every time this comes up most folks will say to avoid the lawyers because the O visa for retirement is just about the easiest and most straightforward process compared to all the other ways. If you have the money and meet the age requirement then you are a shoe-in.

Here's the thread that everybody gets pointed to regarding banks. I found Kasikorn in the Chaeng Watthana immigration building to be very friendly.

Edited by attrayant

for banks I personally use kbank but if you need to transfer funds Bangkok bank maybe preferable as they have a branch in New York. This is only commercial you cannot open a personal account with them. Many of the banks in Thailand use them as a clearing house for transfers. Better to have an account right with the source.

The process is really seamless no law firm needed to do this unless you just donot want to spend your time in immigration. You need an address in Bangkok that is not a hotel to open accounts and to apply for an extension of stay. Good luck its really not that hard.

Edited by moe666

I guess some of the questions that I'm having a problem understanding is

1. I was told to first contact immigration upon arriving in BKK and informing them that I am planning to file for a retirement visa. Does this mean the immigration office inside the airport or a separate facility in BKK and would anybody have the location if outside.

2 Then I was told that they would refer me to the US Embassy in order for me to verify my cash resources. Does having a printout of your online account suffice or do you need some kind of official document from your US bank. I'm also hearing conflicting stories about that I need to make a reservation to visit the embassy vs. just showing up?

3. When I do get signed off by the embassy, I should then be able to open a thai bank account. Do I then need to revisit immigration (at the airport or other area) in order to start the 60 day incubation of my thai bank account to start?

I am really just trying to tie up any loose ends prior to this process and make it as painless and easy as possible. Please bear with me.

Thanks

OMG, you've got a lot to learn, but here is a start. You will have more questions as you go along. Anyway, Happy Birthday.

1. Just enter Thailand at the airport and write your VISA NUMBER on your landing card. The immigration people there will stamp you in for 90 days with your single entry O visa. Check your passport after they have stamped you in to make sure you really got 90 days. Sometimes they make a mistake and the easy time to have it fixed is then and there.

You are using the 800K in a Thai bank account method. There is NO NEED WHATSOEVER to visit the U.S. embassy! That is only for people needing letters confirming their claims of INCOME. You are not claiming income so you don't go there.

3. With an O visa, you should have no problem whatsoever to open a Thai bank account! SCB is a good bank but many Americans and Brits like Bangkok Bank because they offer a transfer method not offered by any other Thai bank. With BB you can do ACH transfers to Thailand through BB New York after a setup with one of your U.S. bank's online accounts. You do this online. No need to visit your U.S. bank. Before you leave the U.S., it is VERY IMPORTANT to figure out what your U.S. bank accounts need for SWIFT transfers. For some U.S. banks you may need to go in there in person and sign a form in the U.S. Not a fun thing to learn after you live in Thailand!

As soon as you open your Thai bank account, get the money in there ASAP. The ACH method with BB is good to have but in some cases it only allows 2K USD per transfer. You will want and may NEED a SWIFT transfer capability to get in 800K.

The 800K in the Thai bank seasoned for two months is verified by a LETTER which you get from your Thai bank just before you go in for your application for annual extension based on retirement at Thai Immigration

In Thailand, all your THAILAND IMMIGRATION business occurs at the Thai immigration office that serves the area of Thailand that you will be residing in. That's where you will go for your application for annual extension based on retirement. If you will be residing in Bangkok, you use the Bangkok office. If Chiang Mai, the Chiang Mai office. (Etc.)

BTW, for general interest, the minimum age for retirement extensions in Thailand (or O-A visas) is age 50.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I have used the 800K in the bank method for several years, using the Bangkok Bank in my local town. Every year it is extremely stressful trying to get the Bank to give me a simple letter for immigration. I certainly will be moving my money if the same thing happens this year, so at present, i can't recommend them, based solely on my local branch.

I have used the 800K in the bank method for several years, using the Bangkok Bank in my local town. Every year it is extremely stressful trying to get the Bank to give me a simple letter for immigration. I certainly will be moving my money if the same thing happens this year, so at present, i can't recommend them, based solely on my local branch.

That's a good comment but the OP should keep in mind that Bangkok Bank is a huge bank with a plethora of branches so it doesn't follow all Bangkok Bank branches present that problem. BTW, is that the branch that you OPENED the account in as sometimes a delay or problem is caused getting a letter for immigration from another branch that the one you opened the account with. I still think the benefit of international ACH transfer potential is a huge selling point for Bangkok Bank for Americans and U.K. people. Bangkok Bank is the only bank in Thailand with that service. Edited by Jingthing

Thanks Jingthing

Looks like I'm already saving a step, if I can get by without having to deal with the Embassy. I just thought from what I've been researching on is that all thai banks wanted a confirmation letter from the embassy knowing that you actually had the funds before they would consider opening an account for you. One other question comes to mind is that I'm thinking about transferring over the sum of 60K US into a thai bank. What's your take on keeping it in one account or should I split it keeping 800K in one account for retirement visa purposes and the rest in another account for immediate living expenses.Also are you then saying that I don't have to go to immigration (after the initial stamp at the airport) to fill out the application for the retirement extension until after the 800K is seasoned for 60 days?

Much Thanks

Thanks Jingthing

Looks like I'm already saving a step, if I can get by without having to deal with the Embassy. I just thought from what I've been researching on is that all thai banks wanted a confirmation letter from the embassy knowing that you actually had the funds before they would consider opening an account for you. One other question comes to mind is that I'm thinking about transferring over the sum of 60K US into a thai bank. What's your take on keeping it in one account or should I split it keeping 800K in one account for retirement visa purposes and the rest in another account for immediate living expenses.Also are you then saying that I don't have to go to immigration (after the initial stamp at the airport) to fill out the application for the retirement extension until after the 800K is seasoned for 60 days?

Much Thanks

Why are you transferring in so much? That's unusual for retirees unless buying a low cost condo. If you are buying a condo, you should not transfer the money for the condo in until you know specifically which condo you are buying. Anyway, its probably a jobs/banking forum question about how safe Thai banks are and whether to split banks . If this all is just for first year spending, understood, but otherwise you have better investment potential in the U.S. of dormant funds.

Just reread your post. The 800K doesn't have to be EXACTLY 800K. It can lots more if you want and you can spend down all you want as long as at least 800K is in the bank day of application. The day after extension approval, you can start spending down all you want; no need then to stay over 800K. Following years you need to repeat the process, top up the account again so it stays over 800K, those later times seasoned for THREE months, not two.

Right now, your priority should be as you are in the U.S. to make sure you are set up to make SWIFT transfers from the U.S. to Thailand. Personally, I wouldn't really on one U.S. bank for this as policies changes, banks go out of business, etc.

As you get a 90 day stamp upon entering Thailand, that means you do need to hurry and open your Thai bank account and SWIFT transfer the 800K funds in. There is no reason to visit immigration until you are ready to apply for your annual extension based on retirement. And that application will not be ready until your funds are seasoned for 60 days. You then need a letter from your Thai bank and it must be VERY FRESH. The balance on your passbook savings account (you won't get a checking account ever as a retiree) must match the balance on the bank letter exactly. Go in as soon as your money is seasoned. No need or benefit to wait until the last day of your 90; in fact that's a very bad idea. Going in earlier gives you time to fix issues.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Good info once again Jingthing.

I was under the assumption that I would need to maintain an 800K baht balance at all times. If I can draw down as you state after receiving the retirement extension, that changes the landscape completely. I'm probably looking at about half of what I stated earlier.:Thumbs up: Maybe I'll get the opportunity to buy you a beer in Thailand.

just remember that if you have an income from anywhere (salary, pensions, investments, etc) resembling thb65k per month then with an affidavit from the US embassy you are home free if you meet the other requirements...it is nice to have a bank statement confirming this as some immigration folks want to see supporting documentation...you want to demonstrate that whatever yearly income you have will average thb65k per month or about thb800k total...then no need to mess with 'seasoned' bank deposits and etc...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I suspect that bank branches that are co-located with immigration offices will be the friendliest, since they surely deal with immigration-related requests on a daily basis. When I went to the Kasikorn branch that is inside the Chaeng Watthana immigration building, they always seem to know exactly what I want and they always have the forms within reach. I told them I was doing my 1 year visa extension and they had the funds verification letter in front of me almost before I could finish my sentence. The speed at which she moved suggested that she must get this request several times per day. And the young lady didn't need to page the branch manager. She stamped and signed everything herself.

I transferred about $120K from my credit union in the US and there were no issues. Main reason I transferred so much was that my bank charges $30 per international wire transfer, so I wanted to get the most bang for my buck. I was in Bangkok at the time, so lucky for me that my credit union didn't have a handshake requirement. They just needed to confirm my request via phone call, which I did for free with Google Voice. So before you leave the US, make sure your bank permits you to initiate transfers without you being physically present.

When the funds arrived here, it was placed on hold until I went in and signed a statement explaining why I was transferring so much. All incoming transfers over a certain amount - I forget the exact number - require you to go into a branch and explain yourself. To be honest, I don't remember what explanation I gave. But I think it was something like "I'm getting ready to retire here, so of course I'll need a lot of money". My funds were released to me later the same day.

Edited by attrayant

As said at Chiang Watanna the local branch can issue a letter for deposits anywhere in there system (at least from the reports I have read) so letter in Bangkok should not be a problem with any bank. As also mentioned Bangkok Bank ACH is a great way to transfer funds and they are normally as friendly as any other bank. For opening account you may have to get letter of address from Embassy but there are other options, including a friend, as listed below. And if one branch is a problem it is a short walk to another with a different manager who may be more welcoming.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok%20Bank/Personal%20Banking/Foreign%20Customers/Pages/Opening%20an%20account%20new.aspx

Valid passport, and

ONE of the following documents:

2.1 An identity card issued by a government institution or university such as:

- Your driver’s license, Foreign Identification Card, University

Student/Professor Card

2.2 A letter of recommendation from

- Embassy [Download Form 177 KB], International

Organization, Customer’s home bank to Bangkok Bank via

the SWIFT message [Download Form 958 KB], a person

acceptable to Bangkok Bank (such as BBL staff, customer,

government officer, company executive, private firms), or

home country institutions (such as pension receipt)

[Download Form 674 KB]

2.3 Other documents showing your name such as:

- Bank Statement, lease agreement, utility bill, documents

showing owners of a fixed asset or Condominium

Sale/Purchase Agreement

Just to add information to this thread;

The Los Angeles Thai Consulate, and the New York Thai Consulate will issue "O-A" visa.

And, the Royal Thai Embassy in Washington, DC will also.

As to which of the three to apply, it will depend on which State in the US you will be applying from. Each office has a list of states they service.

But, the websites will require a bit of persistence to get the information. And, the requirements for the visa are slightly different on each of the consular websites.

So, a polite email might be necessary.

Cheers

Just to add information to this thread;

The Los Angeles Thai Consulate, and the New York Thai Consulate will issue "O-A" visa.

And, the Royal Thai Embassy in Washington, DC will also.

As to which of the three to apply, it will depend on which State in the US you will be applying from. Each office has a list of states they service.

But, the websites will require a bit of persistence to get the information. And, the requirements for the visa are slightly different on each of the consular websites.

So, a polite email might be necessary.

Cheers

Whilst the above may be accurate it also requires a Medical and Police reports, an extension based on Retirement within Thailand does not require these and is deemed by most to be easier and more convenient.

I was under the assumption that I would need to maintain an 800K baht balance at all times. If I can draw down as you state after receiving the retirement extension, that changes the landscape completely. I'm probably looking at about half of what I stated earlier.:Thumbs up: Maybe I'll get the opportunity to buy you a beer in Thailand.

You're welcome. There is no doubt about it. The moment you get your annual extension based on retirement using the 800K bank method, you can start draining your account to your heart's content. But then you need to top it up again to be over 800K for three months prior to your next year's annual extension application.

Back to the opening bank account issue. Again, I seriously don't think there will be any need to visit the U.S. embassy regarding that. In fact, this thread is the first time I have ever heard of such a suggestion. Perhaps there is some confusion about the process. As before you open your account your money is in the U.S., if your intention is to open a million baht account, you don't actually open it with a million. You can open it with the minimum in Thai Baht CASH required by the branch you go to. I have opened accounts with 10K baht in CASH but I'm sure you can open with even less than that. It couldn't hurt to mention you will be wiring in a million baht soon but not really necessary to mention. Most will ask to see your visa. They will see you have an O visa. You may want to mention you will soon be here on an annual retirement extension. Like said above, if one branch or bank says no, visit another. There really should be no problem opening a Thai bank account for you. If for some reason there is, the bank with the "easiest" reputation with opening expat accounts is KASIKORN Bank.

OK, I can see a possible issue with the bank opening. You will need an ADDRESS in Thailand to open a bank account. Will a hotel be good enough? I don't know. I will let others advice about that issue, not knowing if you have an address in mind.

As you have one 90 day stay on your O visa, yes, you are under pressure to get the bank account opening and money transferred in within the first month of your stay, hopefully sooner.

Edited by Jingthing

You're welcome. There is no doubt about it. The moment you get your annual extension based on retirement using the 800K bank method, you can start draining your account to your heart's content. But then you need to top it up again to be over 800K for three months prior to your next year's annual extension application.

Back to the opening bank account issue. Again, I seriously don't think there will be any need to visit the U.S. embassy regarding that. In fact, this thread is the first time I have ever heard of such a suggestion. Perhaps there is some confusion about the process. As before you open your account your money is in the U.S., if your intention is to open a million baht account, you don't actually open it with a million. You can open it with the minimum in Thai Baht CASH required by the branch you go to. I have opened accounts with 10K baht in CASH but I'm sure you can open with even less than that. It couldn't hurt to mention you will be wiring in a million baht soon but not really necessary to mention. Most will ask to see your visa. They will see you have an O visa. You may want to mention you will soon be here on an annual retirement extension. Like said above, if one branch or bank says no, visit another. There really should be no problem opening a Thai bank account for you. If for some reason there is, the bank with the "easiest" reputation with opening expat accounts is KASIKORN Bank.

OK, I can see a possible issue with the bank opening. You will need an ADDRESS in Thailand to open a bank account. Will a hotel be good enough? I don't know. I will let others advice about that issue, not knowing if you have an address in mind.

As you have one 90 day stay on your O visa, yes, you are under pressure to get the bank account opening and money transferred in within the first month of your stay, hopefully sooner.

I opened a Bkk Bank savings account on a tourist visa with an hotel address. If one branch won't try another, if one bank won't try another.

I'd recommend having a dedicated account for the 800,000 if you can afford to leave it there. Much less hassle than remembering to get the money in by 3 months before the next time.

I had no problem getting a letter from the bank, and I'd advise taking a statement as well, even if they don't keep it in the end.

However, I did have to get an account in a local bank to do so, otherwise I'd have had to go all the way to Bkk to get the letter. They wouldn't do it through the local branch ( wonder what the point of computers is???? ).

Some people have reported problems with using their account during the seasoning time, even though the amount was always over 800,000, so better to have another account for normal usage.

Other than the money, my application was pretty easy.

I think you can apply up to two weeks before your visa expires, and the extension will be dated from the visa expiry date, so you don't lose days.

If it's like Chiang Mai, your biggest problem will be actually getting to see an immigration officer on the day you go.

Agree. The OP should be able to open a Thai bank account. If one says no, go down the block. It will be possible.

Applying 30 days before your permission to stay ends is totally normal at any office! And yes you don't lose any time on the extension; the date starts from the ending of the current permission to stay. Waiting until the last minute is folly.

I totally disagree that it is necessary or desirable to keep the 800K in there permanently! You can if you want but it seems totally wasteful to me. TYPICALLY, people spend down on it and top up annually. The trick is of course to have your mechanics setup to do later money transfers into Thailand.

I have no idea what you're talking about by saying people are having trouble accessing their account during the seasoning time. That doesn't make any sense. What does the bank know about your seasoning time? Its just a bank account to your bank. Obviously, as soon as you get the immigration letter you absolutely do not want to touch your account at all until it is used for the application for annual extension. But typically people get the letter the previous day, or the same day. Hardly a burden not to touch your account during such a short period of time.

Edited by Jingthing

If you want the letter dated 14 xxx xxxx and today is before that (or even same day) your account will be frozen to make sure the total has not changed when presented to police. Banks are very cautious about that. But it has nothing to do with seasoning period.

If you want the letter dated 14 xxx xxxx and today is before that (or even same day) your account will be frozen to make sure the total has not changed when presented to police. Banks are very cautious about that. But it has nothing to do with seasoning period.

Thank you. As I thought. A very TRIVIAL issue and nobody would decide to never spend down their 800K based on that.

Generally I do not think there is a big problem when obtaining this letter from a Bangkok Bank Branch. I have banked with them for many years, and from the outset never had a problem getting this letter, after waiting only a matter of minutes. I deal with the same man each year at my local bank and am now known there, perhaps lucky in that respect.

• Like 1

So, jwdub, where do you plan to live in Thailland? If we know that, we can probably give more specific advice about banking.

I opened a Bangkok Bank account in Chiang Mai as soon as we'd rented a condo, but before we actually moved into it. The bank didn't care about proof of address. Certainly a visit to the American consulate wasn't neeeded. May have helped that I plopped down $10,000 in American cash when I told them I wanted to open an account.

Biggest problem -- no phone number in Thailand. They couldn't believe that we hadn't purchased mobile phones. So they took Hubby and me by the hand, pushed us out into the mall and said go up to the 3rd floor, get a phone and then come back so we can finish the paperwork (they kept the $10,000!)

The second problem was that our U.S. credit union has some stupid rules about how to initiate a funds transfer. We couldn't do it on-line and, while they could email us the proper form, they wouldn't accept a scan and email of the completed form. Had to be faxed.

Somewhere in my foggy memory, too, I remember some issue with the company that manages our 401K retirement accounts and other investments. That did involve a trip to the American consulate for a U.S. notary stamp, but that money wasn't essential to opening or topping off my 800,000 baht retirement account.

The morale of the story is to check with all your financial institutions, investment managers, pension plans, etc in the U.S. BEFORE you leave to have everything set up. Ask them again if they say everything is OK. Ask to talk with someone higher up. Ask to talk with the people in their organization who work with expats who are overseas indefinitely. I thought I had everything set up before we left, but wrong-o! Don't be coy about where you're going or how long you expect to be outside the U.S. They do like it, however, if you can maintain a U.S. mailing address, even if it's a commercial mail forwarding service or the home of one of your kids (be sure you're on good terms with the kid -- a commercial service may be more reliable!)

Incidentally, for most Americans over age 50 (expat or not), it makes the most sense for a credit union to be your primary financial institution. We had a small business in the U.S., so we used a bank for our primary financial needs, but both our accountant and lawyer advised us to move to a credit union before we left. Turns out we'd never closed small accounts at a credit union serving a former employer -- really former! We hadn't worked for them for over 20 years, but when I contacted them by phone, their customer service ladies were very willing for us to move funds there, issue a visa credit card, set up for on-line banking, wire transfers, etc. The credit union serves the headquarters employees of a Fortune 50 firm and they are very used to working with Americans living overseas.

Nancy,

I will be staying initially (until I get my visa secured)with a friend of mine who is working in Bangkok. I'll then get my own place for at least the 1st year in Bangkok until I decide otherwise. You actually brought up a good question in your post, Will thai Banks accept US currency to open an account? I don't think I will quite have the sum on me that you did, but I'm thinking a couple of hundred US dollars and then initiate a wire for 1 million baht. Here in the US all of my cash holdings are with Charles Schwab., They have assured me that there won;t be any problem with the transfer of funds and that all they need is a fax from the banking institution.

As I'm getting ready to depart next sunday the 29th, this thread has already helped to eliminate the steps with having to go to the embassy and with reducing the fund transfer I was anticipating. All I can say is keep bringing it LOL! I feel I'll be ready to put this on auto pilot when I arrive on May 1st.

You will want a Thai baht account. Open the account with Thai baht. You can change dollars at many thousands of locations all over Thailand. You can also get Thai baht out of ATM machines with your U.S. bank account ATM cards. (Ummm, have you been here before? coffee1.gif )

When you do the SWIFT transfer (or wire as you call it) be sure to send U.S. dollars, not Thai baht! If you convert the baht in the U.S. first, you'll get a horrible rate. Your Thai baht bank account will automatically convert the incoming dollars into baht.

You should get ONLINE ACCESS for your Thai bank account. Depending on the bank, that can take more time to get set up than you think. But be sure to sign up for it (and get an ATM card as well) when you open your Thai bank account.

About the SWIFT transfers. I don't know what Schwab told you but that sounds pretty weird. The USUAL arrangement is that YOU personally must initiate the SWIFT request to Schwab including of course the Thai bank account details. Name, account number, SWIFT code of Thai bank, sometimes address of Thai bank main branch and/or your branch. This is important. Be sure to open your Thai bank account with the EXACT same name as your U.S. bank account(s). If there is a name difference, you've got a problem. I have never heard of a Thai bank initiating the SWIFT request with the U.S. bank for you. Maybe that happens, but it's news to me. You say they want the SWIFT initiated by Fax. Well, I really think that means that YOU will be doing the Fax, not your Thai bank. If I were you, I would get clear on this and also find out if you can initiate a SWIFT transfer with a PHONE CALL or another method than Fax, or if you are restricted to fax.

Edited by Jingthing

Nancy,

I will be staying initially (until I get my visa secured)with a friend of mine who is working in Bangkok. I'll then get my own place for at least the 1st year in Bangkok until I decide otherwise. You actually brought up a good question in your post, Will thai Banks accept US currency to open an account? I don't think I will quite have the sum on me that you did, but I'm thinking a couple of hundred US dollars and then initiate a wire for 1 million baht. Here in the US all of my cash holdings are with Charles Schwab., They have assured me that there won;t be any problem with the transfer of funds and that all they need is a fax from the banking institution.

As I'm getting ready to depart next sunday the 29th, this thread has already helped to eliminate the steps with having to go to the embassy and with reducing the fund transfer I was anticipating. All I can say is keep bringing it LOL! I feel I'll be ready to put this on auto pilot when I arrive on May 1st.

They don't care what kind of money you have, they will exchange it for Thai Baht. You could probably open the account with as little as 500 Baht, and expect some fees for the ATM card etc.

Will thai Banks accept US currency to open an account? I don't think I will quite have the sum on me that you did, but I'm thinking a couple of hundred US dollars and then initiate a wire for 1 million baht.

They will likely convert it to THB at whatever the current rate is, then deposit that into your new account. Kasikorn only asked me for 500 baht of seed money to open my account. I did my transfer a week later.

Yeah, but walking in there with 10K baht cash may get a friendlier response than walking in with a bag of one baht coins. coffee1.gif

You're right, a bank should be OK converting the dollars for him if he brings dollars. But I suggest a Thai baht account, if there is a choice, assuming there usually ISN'T a choice.

Anyway, that isn't the issue for the OP. I think he needs to understand SWIFT transfers as a priority.

Edited by Jingthing

Jingthing, yes the Branch is the same one I opened the account  with. They are drinking in the last chance saloon this year ! I've had this account for 5 years, I leave the 800K in it all the time, and every year I have to argue with the staff to get a letter for immigration. From other posts, it seems Kasikorn have a form pre-printed, i wish my bangkok bank branch would do this. i have to tell them exactly what to write on the letter, they always come up with all kinds of ridiculous excuses, such as the book must be sent to head office, before a letter can be issued. They always end up giving me the letter in the end, the manager always comes out of his office to apologise, but why can't they get it right in the first place !