Do You Get Dirty Looks From Thai Women?

Converse

Hi! Another Chiang Mai resident checking in. The only "stink eye" I'ver ever gotten here is from older, fat, (probably alcoholic) western guys. Some of them will actually go so far as to say western women shouldn't be granted retirement visas in Thailand. I guess we older (and reasonably fit) western women remind them of their failed marriages.

Hi NancyL. I spend a lot of time in Chiang Mai, not retired yet though. I too have veen on tbe receiving end those glances and downright glares from some farang men. I can't possibly imagine that I'm offending them with my mere presence, but it sure looks and feels that way at times. A decent farang male friend of mine based in BKK said these types of guys often remind themselves that they can't be with Western women like us anymore. I used to smile at everyone on the street up here. But those disdainful looks those guys dish out is off putting, unnecessary and simply unkind. Now if a farang guy smiles at me when I see him I will always smile right back. At least some of them still love life and are happy to 'share' Thailand with us LOL

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was with my Thai Wife of eleven years in Bangkok in May of this year. She got obvious stink eye just a few times only and always in the BTS with me. Always from Thai women and they made it very clear with their eyes and body language that they did not like her. Two women even lashed out at her verbally for no reason. My Wife tells me that it is much better now than it was even 10 years ago. She said 10 years ago, just about every Thai women would be considered a "sale lady" if with a Foreigner. She took it well though and we overall had a good time there. The only thing she noticed most was that most people have lost their joy in their work. She was actually stunned how people seemed to care less about customer service as a whole and thinks the iphone is the culprit lol.

I am a "vintage" farang - ol', sloppy, unshaven. Nancy's style for sure.

I detest the young beautiful Thai ladies with breasts that defy gravity. Varicose veins are a real turn on too. Give me a farang lady with rollers in her hair & blue rinse any day.

Was with my Thai Wife of eleven years in Bangkok in May of this year. She got obvious stink eye just a few times only and always in the BTS with me. Always from Thai women and they made it very clear with their eyes and body language that they did not like her. Two women even lashed out at her verbally for no reason. My Wife tells me that it is much better now than it was even 10 years ago. She said 10 years ago, just about every Thai women would be considered a "sale lady" if with a Foreigner. She took it well though and we overall had a good time there. The only thing she noticed most was that most people have lost their joy in their work. She was actually stunned how people seemed to care less about customer service as a whole and thinks the iphone is the culprit lol.

Apologies for the off topic response!!

Steve654

I totally agree with your wife that many people are simply too busy using their smart phones to bother engaging with anyone even potent customers coming along and requiring them to provide a little service, let alone service sufficient to make a sale. I also find it shocking how many people sleep in full view of customers and the public. They'll be asleep on top of shop counters, in chairs, on the floor, just about anywhere seems fit. Don't these people get any sleep at home? Or is this just standard operating procedure?

Apologies for the off topic response!!

Steve654

I totally agree with your wife that many people are simply too busy using their smart phones to bother engaging with anyone even potent customers coming along and requiring them to provide a little service, let alone service sufficient to make a sale. I also find it shocking how many people sleep in full view of customers and the public. They'll be asleep on top of shop counters, in chairs, on the floor, just about anywhere seems fit. Don't these people get any sleep at home? Or is this just standard operating procedure?

We were surprised too when we saw so many people sleeping on the job. Quite amusing when you think about it! Of course my wife, being Thai, knows Thailand much better and she was a little saddened when she witnessed that so many people could really care less about their work. It wasn't so in any of the street markets, just mostly inside the shopping malls.

Archived