Do You Get Dirty Looks From Thai Women?

Converse

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And if I'd known how precious people would get I still wouldn't have jumped through that many hoops .

to clarify as a word was misse- A large number doesn't equate to +50% and its still not a racial generalization as much as you'd like it to be.

The post I replied to clearly said "most Thais are racist". I said that comment was ridiculous. You disagreed.

Saying "most" or "a large number" is a generalisation by definition of the word.

Generalisations describe behaviour, stereotypes predict.

"All Thais are racist" = negative racial stereotype

"Most Thais are racist", "many Thais are racist", "some Thais are racist", "a large number of Thais are racist", "often Thais are racist", etc. = racial generalisation

Given that you think it is, what then gives you the right to say that I should hold myself to a higher standard because supposedly I must identify with being stereotyped? That's like saying someone who has been abused shouldn't perpetuate abuse. Or were you making an inverse racial generalization...

When did I say you should hold yourself to a higher standard? I simply said that it was sad.

Hi! Another Chiang Mai resident checking in. The only "stink eye" I'ver ever gotten here is from older, fat, (probably alcoholic) western guys. Some of them will actually go so far as to say western women shouldn't be granted retirement visas in Thailand. I guess we older (and reasonably fit) western women remind them of their failed marriages.

And if I'd known how precious people would get I still wouldn't have jumped through that many hoops .

to clarify as a word was misse- A large number doesn't equate to +50% and its still not a racial generalization as much as you'd like it to be.

The post I replied to clearly said "most Thais are racist". I said that comment was ridiculous. You disagreed.

Saying "most" or "a large number" is a generalisation by definition of the word.

Generalisations describe behaviour, stereotypes predict.

"All Thais are racist" = negative racial stereotype

"Most Thais are racist", "many Thais are racist", "some Thais are racist", "a large number of Thais are racist", "often Thais are racist", etc. = racial generalisation

Given that you think it is, what then gives you the right to say that I should hold myself to a higher standard because supposedly I must identify with being stereotyped? That's like saying someone who has been abused shouldn't perpetuate abuse. Or were you making an inverse racial generalization...

When did I say you should hold yourself to a higher standard? I simply said that it was sad.

Therefore inferring etc.

It's actually a truth about a commonality backed up by survey. And that's before we get into is Thai technically a race?

And you said its ridiculous to say Thais instead of Thai women. Thai women are a subset of Thai people so hardly ridiculous.

From here I refuse to hijack the topic further as most of your posts whether by accident, nature of forum debate or design sidestep and fudge to suit your own agenda

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Hi! Another Chiang Mai resident checking in. The only "stink eye" I'ver ever gotten here is from older, fat, (probably alcoholic) western guys. Some of them will actually go so far as to say western women shouldn't be granted retirement visas in Thailand. I guess we older (and reasonably fit) western women remind them of their failed marriages.

Its now apparently considered discriminatory to judge people based on probabilities - for example, to believe that someone is a lower insurance risk because of their colour, religion, or sex. Or to assume that someone is an alcoholic or has a failed marriage because that is our own experience or based on our perception of stereotypes. So long as we remember our prejudices, and are aware of them, and know the risks in applying them, I'm sure everything will be fine, but I often see on this forum people who seem blissfully unaware of their own bigotries.

SC

Sure might be the case at times geekfreaklover, but personally Im slim, toned, apparently attractive (so im told), and take pride in what i wear. I think your comment is too narrow tbh.

The point is the Thai's perception of what one should wear is narrow in comparison to what western scociety allows. I am attempting to illustrate that belief, doesn't mean that I agree with it. Thais hate confrontation. They would never look badly at someone unless they were really causing offence. If I were getting dirty looks in the street I would consider changing the way I dressed rather than continuing to cause offence. It is quite simple.

Sure might be the case at times geekfreaklover, but personally Im slim, toned, apparently attractive (so im told), and take pride in what i wear. I think your comment is too narrow tbh.

The point is the Thai's perception of what one should wear is narrow in comparison to what western scociety dicates. I am attempting to illustrate that belief, doesn't mean that I agree with it. If I were getting dirty looks in the street I would consider changing the way I dressed rather than continuing to cause offence through some misplaced sense of self. I wear a shirt and tie every day. I am happy, and so are the people I interact with. Easy.

But a tie would silly with my tshirt and thongs.

So obviously your fixit would not work....hmmppf

OP: You are obviously a professional woman so this doesn't apply to you personally, however it is likely that the only black women many Thai people have seen are Nigerian prostitutes. (Those are the only black women I ever see here... ) That might be part of the reason for this strange reaction.

The point is the Thai's perception of what one should wear is narrow in comparison to what western scociety dicates. I am attempting to illustrate that belief, doesn't mean that I agree with it. If I were getting dirty looks in the street I would consider changing the way I dressed rather than continuing to cause offence through some misplaced sense of self. I wear a shirt and tie every day. I am happy, and so are the people I interact with. Easy.

But a tie would silly with my tshirt and thongs.

So obviously your fixit would not work....hmmppf

See what you mean. If you're on holiday just wear what you would wear on holiday and stick to the beach. If you want to live in Thailand then have a look around at what the locals wear and chose an outfit accordingly. Really is quite simple.

The point is the Thai's perception of what one should wear is narrow in comparison to what western scociety allows. I am attempting to illustrate that belief, doesn't mean that I agree with it. Thais hate confrontation. They would never look badly at someone unless they were really causing offence. If I were getting dirty looks in the street I would consider changing the way I dressed rather than continuing to cause offence. It is quite simple.

I disagree. Thai women wear the tiniest shorts and the highest heels. Ive seen ladies in all kinds of jobs wearing heels that are obviously clubbing heels! Imo its all how you put your clothes together however. You can still look respectable and sophisticated in clothing that may be a little revealing. Ie: Tailored short shorts, rather than hotpants!

Below is a small example of the kinds of daytime clothes i may wear depending on the situation. Jeans for activities, shorts for keeping cool, and a nice skirt or dress for out and about in town. I think nothing offensive in the least, in fact, ive have had some nice comments from ladies from time to time. (,,and actually, the other day i was wearing a smart cream skirt and white blouse, and a French tourist (granted not Thai) stopped me and said he thought i looked fabulous! He was smartly dressed himself. That made me feel really great. Particularly as im dealing with the aftermath of a broken nose and motorbike accident scars on my face. So, was an appreciated boost. )

I think its just way too easy to say that western women are not fitting Thai standards of appropriateness. Particularly when many Thai women wear quite sexy outfits (which, i do think often looks quite nice. Again depends how its put together. Prefer a woman looking a bit sexy and sophisticated, than overtly girly with bows and hello kitty bags!). Western women may be judged more, because we stand out as different. Could that be it?

176178fca2328207d829_1.jpg

Thanks everyone for your comments. They shed a light on many things.

It's a shame that the Thais would think that dark means poor and uneducated. The majority of them are dark and must have their heritage tracking back to the fields centuries ago. Surely they should be proud of their hard work? What's the logic for a tropical nation to want to be white? Not amount of product or coverage or working in a nice indoor job is going to dissipate their dark colouring.

I have met some lovely people in Thailand and I don't want to put the entire population in the same basket. But I was having a bad day yesterday and the unfriendly look on the people's faces when I went to get some noodle soup at the street corner was just the cherry on the cake. I usually don't care what people think about me. Like I said it's mostly women so it might be a female thing too, something that I'm doing without realising. I've seen only a handful of black women so far in Bangkok (white caucasian on the other hand are very common). Maybe the thai women can't believe their eyes when they see my curves, skin colour and afro hair ... Surprisingly, a couple of Thais told me I looked indian and were quite puzzled when I explained I wasn't. So maybe that's the problem, I look Indian. Sounds like Indians are not particularly welcome in Thailand either.

Anyway, I'll try not to let it get to me and just carry on with my life as I did before. Will smile even harder if I have to! ^_^

You're learning. Do try to stay positive, and know that it, like racism in ones home country, is ignorance. I'm sorry you have to go through this. I think if you stick with it the truly lovely side of most Thai people will eventually shine through. In the meantime, I'm afraid stares are going to happen.

I can understand OP,

I am a Thai-Chinese woman, and all 5 times I been to Germany, I also got many stares like I was an alien to German people.

At first felt utmost uncomfortable, couldn't understand the reasons, I don't think I have 3 legs or anything different to them.

But how come? Maybe I dressed like a tourist, maybe I have too small eyes... Sure, I am not sexy or curvy, nothing to be interested that way... Ohhh...many reasons. :D

Of course at first I was too depressed, but later I have had more relaxing and stopped thinking for reasons.

My BF said the way to get reaction from people, if we will need positive reaction, we must first sending out same way.

Because our face can express what is in our mind, my BF said I must have more confident in myself,

i can travel on my own to Germany, I can communicate with Foreign language whilst some people there in town never go out of their hill. So nothing to be afraid of for me.

So I have more confidence, and can smile more, no stressful. Then my face shown my optimistic.

People there started making communicate with me, even asked me to show the way..

Hey! i did look too much like local people this time? Funny_!

Latest time I been there, my BF was the one who felt instead that people looked at me, but I got no tense at all.

My advices to OP, this is ordinary, happened all over the world, your looks are too much different to us, Thai

Must admit "Thai people have kinda racist to the dark skin" well, i feel sorry but can do nothing.

So you may ignore for these kind of stare, try thinking positive way, you have curvy body that most of women like to have.

and I am sure you have smooth skin, which I all the time envy to the dark skinned woman, so you should be proud of yourself.

Smiling is a key, if people stare at you, you can smile to them, this can break the ice.

And should dress properly (i know its bit difficult during this hot summer), but dress nice and proper can be a lot of help.

Wish you have all every good days in Thailand, don't be too stressful OK? Good luck.

I disagree. Thai women wear the tiniest shorts and the highest heels. Ive seen ladies in all kinds of jobs wearing heels that are obviously clubbing heels! Imo its all how you put your clothes together however. You can still look respectable and sophisticated in clothing that may be a little revealing. Ie: Tailored short shorts, rather than hotpants!

Below is a small example of the kinds of daytime clothes i may wear depending on the situation. Jeans for activities, shorts for keeping cool, and a nice skirt or dress for out and about in town. I think nothing offensive in the least, in fact, ive have had some nice comments from ladies from time to time. (,,and actually, the other day i was wearing a smart cream skirt and white blouse, and a French tourist (granted not Thai) stopped me and said he thought i looked fabulous! He was smartly dressed himself. That made me feel really great. Particularly as im dealing with the aftermath of a broken nose and motorbike accident scars on my face. So, was an appreciated boost. )

I think its just way too easy to say that western women are not fitting Thai standards of appropriateness. Particularly when many Thai women wear quite sexy outfits (which, i do think often looks quite nice. Again depends how its put together. Prefer a woman looking a bit sexy and sophisticated, than overtly girly with bows and hello kitty bags!). Western women may be judged more, because we stand out as different. Could that be it?

176178fca2328207d829_1.jpg

oh...oh, no...are those yer gams Ms eek?...I was expecting a scottish girl with woolen socks, thick ankles and oatmeal...oh...it's just too much to handle...oh, no...

(and then tutsi pulls the covers over his heid and turns off the light...)

Sorry for not giving answer earlier to all your good posts, I was experiencing problems with my internet.

I think some members are probably right when they say it's women being catty, my skin colour might be only a fraction of what's causing their reaction.

I don't remember having such problems back in the UK, whatever I was doing or wearing. Maybe UK girls are not that catty. I remember the French girls at school being a bit nasty but it was during my teenage years. You know what teenage girls are like.

Makes me wonder what a Thai girl must do to get her man, she must need a great deal of attitude because once she's got her back turn, there are another 50 girls as beautiful as her waiting to take her place.

Considering what I wear, I don't think it's offensive for the thai standards. I don't do beachwear in the middle of the city or hippy clothes. I wear long dresses, long skirts and capri pants. I have t-shirts with sleeves and baggy blouses. I don't bare my shoulders or wear low cut tops. I try to look smart and feminine, I love my perfume and accessories, I keep my hair and nails in good condition. But I agree it's difficult for western women to keep up because we look different, our sense of fashion is also different, we have greater pressure to look good all the time. I love the girls style here, it's so cute and beautiful but I can't help finding a bit too homogeneous. In the UK and Europe in general, people experience with their hair and clothes. Girls can do what they like and wear crazy things (I think that's what put of many of the male westerners now living in Thailand biggrin.png ) but that's the way they express their personality. I used to see women in outrageously tartly gear, punk outfit, weird arty looking clothes and they were still beautiful ... Here everyone seems to be out the same mould, even teenagers, when they should be creative with their style.

Maybe it's something in my fashion sense that's brushing thai women the wrong way despite all my efforts ... Sorry, I'm not perfect, I can't always get it right. I've managed to stop wearing mismatched socks though laugh.png

eek, you've got a motorbike, you lucky girl clap2.gif I'm so jealous.

I am white and freckled and have been asked whether I have a disease to explain the spots all over me!!! That was a nice experience! I am Scottish, it's in the genes!

I find that I get looked at the further I am from the big cities and especially if I am with my Thai partner as they generally can't believe that we are together, they normally think that he is the tour guide! He now finds the staring harder to handle now we are back in Thailand as we spent 2 years in the UK where nobody even glanced at him or us when out together. The UK is used to many different ethnic backgrounds living together which Thailand does not experience to the same degree.

I have stop myself from reacting each time someone stares as I think that this is just a new person who has not seen a cultural mix like this before and it is simply intersting or unusual to them. I find a smile or a hello in Thai will normally help!

My partner in the past every time he saw a black woman in thailand used to say 'Tracey Chapman!' As if all black woman actually look anything like tracey chapman but this was his only experience of a black woman that he could relate to. Suffice to say he doesn't say that anymore now he is a man of the world!! (and after i told him to quit it!)

OP- it will get you down but don't think that you are alone in this, we all look different to some thai people and just think of yourself giving them a new experience when they see you, by reacting politely and smiling hopefully they may react differently to the next different person they see!

Ummm latest update, had a drink and a chat with a couple of female expat friends and they think it could be a boob thing! One of them is petite and can fit thai clothes. She dresses in a modest and elegant way but is absolutely sure people keep staring at her chest (only a little bit bigger than a thai woman) and not her face. She doesn't understand why. The other woman felt the same and think some thai women are envious of what we have in the bra department, which is quite refreshing. We all had a good laugh about it and I feel a lot better about myself since telling them what was happening. I'm grateful for all the posts. I hope this will help other women having the same experience smile.png

• 2 weeks later...

It's a shame that the Thais would think that dark means poor and uneducated. The majority of them are dark and must have their heritage tracking back to the fields centuries ago. Surely they should be proud of their hard work? What's the logic for a tropical nation to want to be white? Not amount of product or coverage or working in a nice indoor job is going to dissipate their dark colouring.

I have met some lovely people in Thailand and I don't want to put the entire population in the same basket. But I was having a bad day yesterday and the unfriendly look on the people's faces when I went to get some noodle soup at the street corner was just the cherry on the cake. I usually don't care what people think about me. Like I said it's mostly women so it might be a female thing too, something that I'm doing without realising. I've seen only a handful of black women so far in Bangkok (white caucasian on the other hand are very common). Maybe the thai women can't believe their eyes when they see my curves, skin colour and afro hair ... Surprisingly, a couple of Thais told me I looked indian and were quite puzzled when I explained I wasn't. So maybe that's the problem, I look Indian. Sounds like Indians are not particularly welcome in Thailand either.

Anyway, I'll try not to let it get to me and just carry on with my life as I did before. Will smile even harder if I have to! ^_^

<I look Indian. Sounds like Indians are not particularly welcome in Thailand either. >

Very nice of you. You come all the way to come to Thailand for your living, and creating differences between Thai-Indian cultural relationship happened from Buddha period, since more than 1000 years old. Please think straight and do good to where you come to live and earn. Thank you.

Ummm latest update, had a drink and a chat with a couple of female expat friends and they think it could be a boob thing! One of them is petite and can fit thai clothes. She dresses in a modest and elegant way but is absolutely sure people keep staring at her chest (only a little bit bigger than a thai woman) and not her face. She doesn't understand why. The other woman felt the same and think some thai women are envious of what we have in the bra department, which is quite refreshing. We all had a good laugh about it and I feel a lot better about myself since telling them what was happening. I'm grateful for all the posts. I hope this will help other women having the same experience smile.png

Pictures speak louder than words. If all the ladies on here could post pics in various states of dress, I'm sure we could help you more. whistling.gifthumbsup.gif

Anyway, I'll try not to let it get to me and just carry on with my life as I did before. Will smile even harder if I have to! happy.png

<I look Indian. Sounds like Indians are not particularly welcome in Thailand either. >

Very nice of you. You come all the way to come to Thailand for your living, and creating differences between Thai-Indian cultural relationship happened from Buddha period, since more than 1000 years old. Please think straight and do good to where you come to live and earn. Thank you.

Um, I don't think she is contributing, she is making an observation based on experience. One you have made yourself in previous posts regarding the treatment of Indians in Thailand.

I am white and freckled and have been asked whether I have a disease to explain the spots all over me!!! That was a nice experience! I am Scottish, it's in the genes!

I find that I get looked at the further I am from the big cities and especially if I am with my Thai partner as they generally can't believe that we are together, they normally think that he is the tour guide! He now finds the staring harder to handle now we are back in Thailand as we spent 2 years in the UK where nobody even glanced at him or us when out together. The UK is used to many different ethnic backgrounds living together which Thailand does not experience to the same degree.

I have stop myself from reacting each time someone stares as I think that this is just a new person who has not seen a cultural mix like this before and it is simply intersting or unusual to them. I find a smile or a hello in Thai will normally help!

My partner in the past every time he saw a black woman in thailand used to say 'Tracey Chapman!' As if all black woman actually look anything like tracey chapman but this was his only experience of a black woman that he could relate to. Suffice to say he doesn't say that anymore now he is a man of the world!! (and after i told him to quit it!)

OP- it will get you down but don't think that you are alone in this, we all look different to some thai people and just think of yourself giving them a new experience when they see you, by reacting politely and smiling hopefully they may react differently to the next different person they see!

I get exactly the same treatment. I have red hair, very pale skin and LOADS of freckles. I get funny looks left, right and centre. I have noticed that the negative looks that I get are from girls of a similar age to me and I have no idea whether it's a catty/bitchy thing or envious thing or not, however I just smile at them and ignore the negativity.

In England I was always teased for how I looked so I'm kind of used to the stares and comments to the point that now I just ignore them completely.

So yes, ignore the stares and work that look girl! ;) They're just jealous!

• 2 months later...

Hello converse, Im dark skinned too and whilst i sort of pass off as a little more Asian i do feel where you are coming from.

I think we all have to accept that Thailand is way behind the rest of the world, and they have no concept on racism or the education of what happened in the rest of the world say 100 years ago. All of this means they can come across as quite rude and ignorant.

The fact that they all want to be white with whitening creams simply indicates to me that they are not comfortable in their own skins, they are very insecure and all want to look like chinese mixed with westerners eyes.

However, I think they don't always mean to be like that - They can also be quite nice when they accept you, but yes the 'N' word i have heard them mutter on a regular basis and quite loudly in the presence of us dark skinned girls. But like i said they are very ignorant and uneducated, just don't get it.

Another thing you have to think is this, they have nicknames like Pig, Fat, etc. They have some very strange cutural beliefs where calling each other unpleasant names is normal... So yes dont take it too personally!

The fact that they all want to be white with whitening creams simply indicates to me that they are not comfortable in their own skins, they are very insecure and all want to look like chinese mixed with westerners eyes.

people always want to be different than what they are...

in asia they want to be white - to stick out of the mass, and moreover being white has always been a symbol for "wealth"... these people dont have to work on the fields...

in europe, they grill under the sunbeds... or spend all their holidays in the high noon sun... in order to get tanned...

tanned in europe means being outdoors, living a healthy, active, sportive lifestyle... being fit...

Woah Jenny Hold your horses, been reading through some of the replies u made and with all do respect, get the feeling you are trying to educate on the behavior of Thai people.

Your comment on why Thai women want to be whiter is so wrong I couldnt help but reply here...

Welcome to the forum and all that bur be careful explaining behaviour of a whole country worth of people and traditions!

I went jogging today and because I had my shirt off I stopped in at the market to buy some juice on the way home, a father told his son "that farang has no money to buy a shirt", I told him I was only following ancient thai tradition and I hope the women will go back to the ancient ways also before us farang taught you our useless traditions" I hope he could understand and teach his son!

Dont feel bad, most indians and middle easterners are hated more than africans, I know some Africans with very dark skin who are treated like superstars in Thailand. Maybe its the football or the movies?

Well stay here, and keep it up you are DIVERSIFYING them!

Hi Converse

Sorry to hear about your reception from Thai women. I am a little surprised actually because I would have thought that they would have a more liberal attitude in Bangkok, being the capital and used to foriegn women. Like others said, unfortunately dark skin is viewed in a bad way here. For Thais it means that you are poor, have to work outside so you're darker from the sun, that is the theory behind it, I alway wondered about it because many of my students who have dark skin are infact rich.

I am a farang like you and although I have white skin, I often get a cold reception. Not usually when I am in Chiang Mai, which is a tourist place where Thais are used to foreigners, but when I am in other provinces or areas that are not used to farangs, I get stared at and sometimes receive an unfriendly manner, especially when in small local shops and stuff.

I do not to let it get to me, try to do the same. Remember that it is their problem for being small minded to think this way just because of the colour of your skin.

Hello converse, Im dark skinned too and whilst i sort of pass off as a little more Asian i do feel where you are coming from.

I think we all have to accept that Thailand is way behind the rest of the world, and they have no concept on racism or the education of what happened in the rest of the world say 100 years ago. All of this means they can come across as quite rude and ignorant.

I kind of agree with that. I also acknowledge what others have said, namely that the same would apply to Western women (and men) who do all kinds of unnatural or unhealthy stuff to get a tan.

However, I think they don't always mean to be like that - They can also be quite nice when they accept you, but yes the 'N' word i have heard them mutter on a regular basis and quite loudly in the presence of us dark skinned girls.

Not sure which N-word that is, but if it's the Thai word for black person then that's just the Thai word for black person. I use it myself too when speaking Thai and talking about a black friend. Actually in many European countries there's not much wrong with the word, I only recently realized that black people from the UK and US are often offended by it even when it's used in a non-English language, or when discussing racism and language itself as a topic. Which is why I don't use the word here because I don't want to offend.

Anyway it's quite common in Thai usage, as you can readily see with a Google search. And discussing beauty and physical appearance is just a popular topic in Thailand anyway.

Here a topic on 'beautiful' pop stars, which includes quite a few African Americans, duly referenced in Thai with the Thai word for people of African origin. (The น-word? :) ) http://www.dek-d.com...hp?id=1420543

To add some balance, the same kind of topic discussing handsome men, here specifically handsome African (or mixed African) football stars: http://webboard.gg.i...topic/44/298689

On the OP, I don't think it's an inherent dislike of darker skin, I think it's the association with more recent African immigrants and visitors to Thailand who are involved in shadier business. (Both men and women). So my advice to the OP would be the same as I give to male black friends, namely to dress as American as possible. I think for men a casual and clean US look works well; polo shirt, baseball cap and all that. Think Tiger Woods. That says 'Western', meaning different from people direct from Africa. For black women I can't say I have direct experience but I have a feeling that a business look will work well; similar to what a Thai women office manager would wear. Or Western backpacker look. I'd say pick either of these.

on a lighter note:

Most of human kind dresses in logo'd shirts and uses cosmetics and beauty aids, does their hair, drives this or that etc etc etc so people WILL look at 'em ....and once this is accomplished they will never know what they are thinking...."look at that #$%...mutton as lamb" or "wow he/she must be rich/poor a total wanke_r ".....whatever.....I think a lot of individuals would be very concerned if nobody looked at them...

then maybe we would get posts " what's wrong wiv me" with answers like " your a fricking road accident! and you dress sense is a la Walmart trailer trash"

Could the OP get a tee-shirt made "stop looking at me" in half a dozen languages? I am sure that would work..huhhhmmm ...maybe a burka might answer.....

Could those dirty looks possibly be from wind or Tinia cruris maybe ....

okay will shut up now.... suns coming up and got to get back in my box...

Archived