Thai Refered To A Chinese Mexican

vspin134

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think America will have really made it until we have our own salad dressing. Until then we're stuck behind the French, Italians, Russians and Caesarians. ~Pat McNelis

Thousand Island

Ranch

Thousand Island is the Philippines.

There may well be a "thousand islands" in the Philippines, but the salad dressing is named after the ones in the St. Lawrence river. Google it if you don't believe me.

Here, I've done it for you (from Wikipedia):

According to The Oxford Companion of Food and Drink, "the name presumably comes from the Thousand Islands between the United States and Canada in the St. Lawrence River."[7] In the Thousand Islands area, one common version of the dressing's origins says that a fishing guide's wife, Sophia LaLonde, made the condiment as part of her husband George's shore dinner.[8] Often in this version, actress May Irwin requested the recipe after enjoying it.[9] Irwin in turn gave it to another Thousand Islands summer resident, George Boldt, who was building Boldt Castle in the area. Boldt, as proprietor of the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel, instructed the hotel's maître d'hôtel, Oscar Tschirky, to put the dressing on the menu.[10] A 1959 National Geographic article states, "Thousand Island Dressing was reportedly developed by Boldt's chef."[11]

Growing up in Texas (and being Thai), I do see the similarities in culture, especially 'ehm'... work ethic. You see a lot of Thai students going abroad and going for restaurant jobs because they 'eat free' as a perk. The same for Mexicans (at least in the past), we always had more Mexicans in the kitchens of our restaurants stateside than any other immigrant/migrant group, including Thais. Again, a broad generalization with plenty of exceptions, but both are more likely to be involved with physical work, service jobs, dancing/singing etc. as opposed to trade or commerce.

:)

I don't believe there ever actually was an ad campaign, Cadillac Rolls Royce of cars. That's inane.

Believe what you want...I seen it with my own two eyes...

Show us a link. coffee1.gif

How did I know this remark coming....it was over 15 years ago and was printed copy...but nice try anyway...clap2.gif

I don't believe there ever actually was an ad campaign, Cadillac Rolls Royce of cars. That's inane.

Show us a link. coffee1.gif

Here is the link, http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=1877

Look at the post made by a guy called Cameron on November 9 2009 at 6.21 pm.

The ad was a spoof. It never happened.

Read the above link and you'll see a rejected ad slogan: Lincoln -- the Cadillac of Cars

That line is said when they're talking about where to go to eat, one says Mexican the other says Thai and says Thai is like Chinese Mexican. Thailand is to the south of China and the food is spicier. It's an American show written by a white American dude, I wouldn't read anything else in to it

Well that is as wrong as possible.....US and Mexico are 2 young countries. USA hasn't developed any food yet.

But as long as I know there is no US food, or? It is just a mix of the food from where the people came when they settled down in America.

What do you mean USA hasn't developed any food yet. Who do you think came up with the idea of putting animal anuses and penises into a grinder with food coloring and artificial flavor to make the "hot dog"????

Burgers, French Fries, Pizza, Ice Cream........ Maybe the U.S didn't actually develop all of this, however, you're average Thai thinks they did. That's all that matters really.........

Here is another way to look at it:

http://sallybernstei...od/cuisines/us/

The reality is that the U.S.A. is a world class place to eat a great diversity of food, at least regional food in the regions and most everything in the great cities. It isn't true that there are no created in America dishes, an example would be Waldorf Salad, but the idea of a U.S. "national" cuisine is rather shaky. Not because Americans aren't into food but because of the massive diversity of the influences. In any case what people outside the U.S.A. think of as U.S.A. food (McDonalds, etc.) is completely twisted and does not reflect the real situation in the U.S.A.

Yes it saddens me a bit realize most global people don't have a clue about the richness of food culture in the U.S., but that isn't exactly unique. I'm sure Mexicans aren't thrilled that much of the world thinks Mexican food is fast food tacos.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I believe you may be referring to some of the Cadillac car enthusiast talk back in the late 70s and early 80s. The grill of the Cadillac at that time was often referred to as a Rolls Royce grill. I don’t think it was ever an official Cadillac ad, but may have been written up in car magazines at the time.

post-123755-0-22027600-1335185394_thumb.

• Like 1

The reality is that the U.S.A. is a world class place to eat a great diversity of food, at least regional food in the regions and most everything in the great cities. It isn't true that there are no created in America dishes, an example would be Waldorf Salad, but the idea of a U.S. "national" cuisine is rather shaky. Not because Americans aren't into food but because of the massive diversity of the influences. In any case what people outside the U.S.A. think of as U.S.A. food (McDonalds, etc.) is completely twisted and does not reflect the real situation in the U.S.A.

Yes it saddens me a bit realize most global people don't have a clue about the richness of food culture in the U.S., but that isn't exactly unique. I'm sure Mexicans aren't thrilled that much of the world thinks Mexican food is fast food tacos.

How do you think the "global village" views Thai food?

1. Chicken fried rice loaded with MSG

2. Disgustingly sweet Tom Yam Gung

3. Paneng curries with little or no spice

How do you think the "global village" views Thai food?

1. Chicken fried rice loaded with MSG

2. Disgustingly sweet Tom Yam Gung

3. Paneng curries with little or no spice

I think globally people understand the strengths of Thai food more than they understand American food. It would by country of course.

There is plenty of "American food". To say otherwise is fairly ignorant. Many examples previously listed. The greatest achivement though is NY style Pizza, imho.

You do know pizza is Italian dont you ?

You're taking the piss now. Everyone knows the pizza originated in Italy, but that America has versions (New York, New Haven, Chicago, and California) that are unique.

pizza originated indeed from Italy, namely from the city of Pizza which is famous for its slanting tower whistling.gif

250px-Leaning_tower_of_pisa_2.jpg

pizza originated indeed from Italy, namely from the city of Pizza which is famous for its slanting tower whistling.gif

250px-Leaning_tower_of_pisa_2.jpg

And just a clarification for our colonial cousins......you didnt build the tower and the photograph shown was not taken in Las Vegas...whistling.gif

• Like 1

In any case what people outside the U.S.A. think of as U.S.A. food (McDonalds, etc.) is completely twisted and does not reflect the real situation in the U.S.A.

I lived an worked in the US for a while and do you know I think of as USA food.....McDonalds, BurgerKing, Tacobell and Wendy's

In any case what people outside the U.S.A. think of as U.S.A. food (McDonalds, etc.) is completely twisted and does not reflect the real situation in the U.S.A.

I lived an worked in the US for a while and do you know I think of as USA food.....McDonalds, BurgerKing, Tacobell and Wendy's

Did you work at a "truckstop" .... lorry park (?) For our former colonial masters. Edited by daoyai
  • Like 1

Where in the U.S.?

Did you work at a "truckstop" .... lorry park (?) For our former colonial masters.

Oh dear...best you can do ?...actually I was in the US doing technical/engineering work, as they couldnt find anyone in the US who had the skills/experience to do the job ..whistling.gif

Where in the U.S.?

Lets see....started on the East coast initally in PA....worked Philly, New york, Washington DC, Detroit, Houston and ended up on the west coast working out of LA, and in between all this a rather strange place called Billings Montana for a few weeks

Where in the U.S.?

Lets see....started on the East coast initally in PA....worked Philly, New york, Washington DC, Detroit, Houston and ended up on the west coast working out of LA, and in between all this a rather strange place called Billings Montana for a few weeks

So you only had time and access for fast food or something? I know those places except Houston, Detroit, and Billings and I could have easily pointed you to excellent places to enjoy the best of American style food. I might blame a tourist for not caring to find where to go for being lazy, but you were working so I reckon enjoying the local food wasn't your priority. You had fast food. That is one aspect of American food, yes, but you're fooling yourself if you think that's American food in total.

There are large areas of the U.S., places like "edge cities" that are dominated by the same mass market franchises anywhere you go. I think that's a sad development and like I said before, the highlights of American food are the regional food in the regions (such as Cajun in New Orleans) and the "real" restaurant scene in the big cities.

Edited by Jingthing

So you only had time and access for fast food or something? I know those places except Houston, Detroit, and Billings and I could have easily pointed you to excellent places to enjoy the best of American style food. I might blame a tourist for not caring to find where to go for being lazy, but you were working so I reckon enjoying the local food wasn't your priority. You had fast food. That is one aspect of American food, yes, but you're fooling yourself if you think that's American food in total.

Actually I was working with local lads at all of these locations, so just following their lead, which was McDonalds, Burgerking, Taco bell Wendys etc....When in Rome and all that

Actually I was working with local lads at all of these locations, so just following their lead, which was McDonalds, Burgerking, Taco bell Wendys etc....When in Rome and all that

Yeah, I suspected that. That's sad. Sorry you missed some great eating experiences you won't find anywhere else in the world.

Don't get me wrong. Foreigners in America are naturally going to want to eat American hamburgers in America. But there are actually much better places to get those:

Edited by Jingthing