I'Ve Been Asked To Teach English In The Village School

@Kwasaki

Don't think I'd bother about it, to be quite honest. As Scott has said (a few times, now, too!) you ought to have virtually no problem at all - and remember the whole thing is only for 3 months. Do you actually believe that any other of the NES guys in this current government project have (or will get) a WP? "No" - is the most likely answer.

Cheers biggrin.png Splod

Three people working full time in a Sukhothai school have received their work permits, one before and two after the school term started.

So right I haven't heard of part-timers getting one yet.

Well whether or not the expectations of a work permit turning up or not, although I was only in the UK Boy Scouts for two weeks I remember the motto, something actually recorded and handed over in a letter is better than saying " Err I thought that " so I wrote this letter anyway. biggrin.png

" In reply to your letter dated the 28th June 2012 I am pleased to accept the

position of part-time language teacher in English subject.

Also to work at the agreed days and times of the attached timetable.

Please find the enclosed paperwork you requested :-

3 photograph picture of myself in Thai immigration size 4cm x 6cm.

An A4 photocopy of my ID passport pages.

An A4 photocopy of my latest marriage extension of stay page.

An A4 photocopy of my Bangkok bank joint account No. ***********.

A photocopy of my yellow house book for my proof of address.

I hope you find all is in order and I trust you will be undertaking to obtain

and take the necessary steps to acquire a work permit from the Thailand

Department of Employment to enable me to work legally in Thailand."

Be Prepared. whistling.gif

The First Day :- 8:00am. Went with wife for her to read contract, wife bla bla bla in Thai with Thai teacher, OK said wife, " You can take me back now." blink.png me thinks, seems like this is going pear shaped immediately from a western point of view.sad.png

Me :- " May I ask what is happening." smile.png

Thai teacher :- " No need contract, no need anything, only 3 month."

Me. " Excuse me but if the school is not getting me to sign a contract then it will not be applying for a work permit." ermm.gif

Thai teacher :- " No need work permit, only 3 months, only 3 months. take wife back see and you back in minute "

Me still smiling :- " My first lesson is not until 10:30am " smile.png

Thai teacher :- " No no no you stay all day, start 8:00am, finish 3:30pm. "

Me still smiling :- " You must have be mis-informed that is not what we agreed on." smile.png

Thai teacher :- " No no take wife now."

I went back at 9:50am and nothing was said, we went into the first lesson, I introduced myself to the children, turned to Thai teacher, and she just motioned for me to carry on.

I said, " Where is the class up to ", she said, " not matter just carry on." sick.gif

I got the kids laughing and then did a one to one it became obvious very quickly they knew only very basic greeting stuff, apart from the shyness which was understandable.

Out of 46 kids ages 14 -15 there were only a few that showed any interest.

I went off to lunch not feeling to good not a complete failure though even without having support.

Ok 2 more lessons to go, after lunch 12:30pm class was cancelled because of a project, so just hung around reading the students 1, 2, 3, access books, my thoughts with just a quick glimpse through each, was IMO these books were no good in the main.

Anyway now armed with one of the books it was off to the next class, smile.png they knew absolutely nothing within the page or pages they were supposed to be up to. w00t.gif

After class I said, " Thankyou for a lovely day whistling.gif bye bye." the Thai teacher said " Oh no no you stay til 3:30pm," I said, " no way bye bye." laugh.png.

Sadly my first day and my last. laugh.png

"Thai teacher :- " No need work permit, only 3 months, only 3 months. take wife back see and you back in minute ""

And I hate beating this dead horse with a stick...But...if you work 3 months, 3 days, or 3 hours, legally you need a work permit. The school LIED to you. If you are caught, it is a criminal offense, but for the school it is nothing (maybe a slap on the wrist). One more time: The school LIED to you.

Ignorance on the part of a foreign employee doesn't make it legally OK.

Now, in Kwasaki's case, he refused to stay until the end of the day as requested. All it takes it on "angry, pissed-off, or vindictive" person to report you to immigration. Once immigration is notified, the have to follow-up.

Remember: Criminal charge for you (don't expect to get your next visa extension, possible fine, possible jail time), and nothing for the employer who LIED to you.

@Kwasaki, they obviously lied to you about the schedule too. "You stay to 3:30." Good one.

So fellow farangs, stop drinking the kool-aide please...educate yourself. It's illegal to work (for any length of time) or volunteer without a valid MoL issued Work Permit.

• Like 2

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So fellow farangs, stop drinking the kool-aide please...educate yourself. It's illegal to work (for any length of time) or volunteer without a valid MoL issued Work Permit.

Nice one !! yep !! I tried to confirm with the School Director after I left and he said no need you have been invited by me, I said I am sorry that is not good enough according to my phone call to immigration a moment ago.

I have now left a letter telling them it was illegal for me to work without a work permit and I cannot work without one.

That is not the only issue, the agreed hours and working time had been changed as well.

As you say I hope there are no repercussion for me for being so bloody stupid in trying to be helpful.

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 2

Nice one !! yep !! I tried to confirm with the School Director after I left and he said no need you have been invited by me, I said I am sorry that is not good enough according to my phone call to immigration a moment ago.

I have now left a letter telling them it was illegal for me to work without a work permit and I cannot work without one.

That is not the only issue, the agreed hours and working time had been changed as well.

As you say I hope there are no repercussion for me for being so bloody stupid in trying to be helpful.

@Kwasaki. You're like me. I really want to help, but I'm only going to do it legally. I also really have trust issue with Thais. They'll say one thing and do something else. In the western business world we'd call that suspicious bordering on dishonest. Here in LOS, it's built into the culture. Can't be direct, so lie. That's convenient...no wonder they have such a problem with corruption. They are simply trying to take advantage of your generosity, because there is no repercussion for them. This is why I told them that I'd need a signed contract and a WP before the first day of school. It didn't happen and I refused to work.

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

Kwasaki, imo you made a really good decision to try and help out. Please don't feel disenchanted with teaching because the details turned out to be a bit more complicated than expected.

As if you do decide to continue teaching, I think that you'll gain some really awesome memories from the experience, as it really can be a magical feeling to teach young students. Especially in rural Thailand, where the students often know almost nothing when they start learning, so you can see the results quite quickly. Likewise they are often soo interested in learning more, or even just soo excited to see a farang.

Being associated with the school, will also likely raise your level of involvement within the community too, and demystify you from the locals. As often Thai people will be very apprehensive about farang, and especially about speaking English to you, but when you are involved with the school, you'll meet all of the other teachers, the students, and often even their parents. This will help with intergrating into the village lifestyle, and I think that you'll likely meet some really great friends as a result. Also you'll find, that all of the students will all try and say hello to you, and in general try to interact with you and help you if needed, whenever they see you, which will make living in the village a lot more enjoyable I think. At least this has been my experience anyway.

Some students will be terrible, they will not be interested in anything, but with the right approach you can help to make them interested, or even just focus on the ones who are interested and who want to learn.

Likewise the schools will sometimes try and treat you the same as a Thai teacher, but with white skin. But you can negotiate the hours you spend at school, and I'm sure that they'll be flexible with it. I've only taught at two schools since I started teaching in Thailand, but both have allowed this flexibility, to come and go between periods, I'm sure that yours will do the same. If they don't, then it's their loss, but you and your wife can politely explain the situation to them, and I hope that they'll recognise the benefits to them by allowing you the flexibility.

Regarding a work permit, this is something you should probably push for, because it is best to be legal while teaching. Although admittedly, for just a 3 month period it will be difficult for a small school to organise one (Since they won't have any idea on what they need, or where to get the details etc from). For them, it is probably just intimidating (also thus by the time they get around to it, the 3 months will almost be finished lol)

What might be easiest, if you definitely want to get one, is if someone were to post up (or link to) the requirements (in Thai), maybe even with instructions/phone numbers to call etc which could then be passed onto your school. If this proves difficult at all, you can pm me and I can give you some assistance with what you can send to the school (I don't have the details on hand, hopefully someone else will, otherwise I can probably help find them for you). So long as you apply for one, you should be fine, even if you're teaching before it arrives (Although the percentage chance of being asked for your permit in some random check, while teaching at a small country school, would likely require decimal places lol, the chances of then being prosecuted in some way, would likely be even smaller (Although both could still be possible of course)).

Although in general, my view would be that you could look towards maybe teaching at the school on a more permanent basis, if you enjoy it of course. And maybe just look at this initial 3 months as a chance to see if you enjoy teaching or not. As it can be one of the most wonderful experiences you can have (Or of course, an absolutely horrible experience which you'll never want to repeat ever again lol). As you may have guessed, for me it's mostly a great experience (Although it has its ups and downs of course).

Either way, feel free to pm me if there's anything I can do to help you, as I really would hate to see someone who seemed really positive and excited about the prospect of teaching, end up giving it up just because of a couple of small bumps in the road.

Edited by SlyAnimal
  • Like 1

The puu yai baan of the village of my wife's parents once asked me if I was interested in working under the new scheme but I asked for details as the school is 30 km from my home. The guy told me that he was going to meet the board of the village and the schools to elaborate the details. I had never heard of them again until a few days ago when my wife's mother mentioned my wife that the school had been assigned a Filipino teacher assistant by the government. So what is with this assignment? Has anybody heard of this before? Is this a state backed scheme or they just misunderstood something?

Kwasaki, imo you made a really good decision to try and help out. Please don't feel disenchanted with teaching because the details turned out to be a bit more complicated than expected.

As if you do decide to continue teaching, I think that you'll gain some really awesome memories from the experience, as it really can be a magical feeling to teach young students. Especially in rural Thailand, where the students often know almost nothing when they start learning, so you can see the results quite quickly. Likewise they are often soo interested in learning more, or even just soo excited to see a farang.

Being associated with the school, will also likely raise your level of involvement within the community too, and demystify you from the locals. As often Thai people will be very apprehensive about farang, and especially about speaking English to you, but when you are involved with the school, you'll meet all of the other teachers, the students, and often even their parents. This will help with intergrating into the village lifestyle, and I think that you'll likely meet some really great friends as a result. Also you'll find, that all of the students will all try and say hello to you, and in general try to interact with you and help you if needed, whenever they see you, which will make living in the village a lot more enjoyable I think. At least this has been my experience anyway.

Some students will be terrible, they will not be interested in anything, but with the right approach you can help to make them interested, or even just focus on the ones who are interested and who want to learn.

Likewise the schools will sometimes try and treat you the same as a Thai teacher, but with white skin. But you can negotiate the hours you spend at school, and I'm sure that they'll be flexible with it. I've only taught at two schools since I started teaching in Thailand, but both have allowed this flexibility, to come and go between periods, I'm sure that yours will do the same. If they don't, then it's their loss, but you and your wife can politely explain the situation to them, and I hope that they'll recognise the benefits to them by allowing you the flexibility.

Regarding a work permit, this is something you should probably push for, because it is best to be legal while teaching. Although admittedly, for just a 3 month period it will be difficult for a small school to organise one (Since they won't have any idea on what they need, or where to get the details etc from). For them, it is probably just intimidating (also thus by the time they get around to it, the 3 months will almost be finished lol)

What might be easiest, if you definitely want to get one, is if someone were to post up (or link to) the requirements (in Thai), maybe even with instructions/phone numbers to call etc which could then be passed onto your school. If this proves difficult at all, you can pm me and I can give you some assistance with what you can send to the school (I don't have the details on hand, hopefully someone else will, otherwise I can probably help find them for you). So long as you apply for one, you should be fine, even if you're teaching before it arrives (Although the percentage chance of being asked for your permit in some random check, while teaching at a small country school, would likely require decimal places lol, the chances of then being prosecuted in some way, would likely be even smaller (Although both could still be possible of course)).

Although in general, my view would be that you could look towards maybe teaching at the school on a more permanent basis, if you enjoy it of course. And maybe just look at this initial 3 months as a chance to see if you enjoy teaching or not. As it can be one of the most wonderful experiences you can have (Or of course, an absolutely horrible experience which you'll never want to repeat ever again lol). As you may have guessed, for me it's mostly a great experience (Although it has its ups and downs of course).

Either way, feel free to pm me if there's anything I can do to help you, as I really would hate to see someone who seemed really positive and excited about the prospect of teaching, end up giving it up just because of a couple of small bumps in the road.

Any farang with teaching credentials in Thailand also has a 4 year degree. Thai teachers have 4 to 6 years of university education. What I'm trying to say is we are all intelligent people. The work permit process is spelled out on this site in detail: http://wp.doe.go.th

Yes, it's a pain in the butt, but I assume that intelligent people can read the documents on the site and put together the necessary paper work in a couple of days. If I had a scanner and better Thai writing skill, I could do it myself in a couple of hours. And there is supporting documentation that has to be submitted by the school. Once the paper work is submitted to your province's Ministry of Labor, they indicate that the paperwork can be processed within 7 working days. And it helps to have the school submit the paperwork in order to "grease the wheels". You can do it for 1, 3, 6, or 12 months. The school should pick up the fees, although some push it back on the teacher. This is nothing that is insurmountable as long as the school is willing to work with you. In my mind, a school that is willing to partner with you to get a WP is a school that is truly interested in you as a person and and an employee. And it tells me how committed they are to me. Then you can get down to helping these kids improve that language skills.

Also consider offering the teachers at the school after hour lessons. I go with the idea: "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime. I personally think it's possibly more important to help the teacher who can then pass down correct English technique to their students long after you've move along.

Edited by connda

@Kwasaki

Sad to read about that - a real waste of (your) time and effort. Unfortunately, it's often the way of things here. Still, it's an experience to remember - and you'll definitely be better prepared, should a similar opportunity arise. Just don't be at all surprised if you're contacted again to work the hours you'd originally agreed on.....

SlyAnimal really says it all - and shrug off any disappointment and remember - the kids are probably more disappointed than you are...their opportunity to hear and speak real English has gone, possibly never to experience again.

Naturally, the school will return the unused monies to OBEC......cheesy.gif

Cheers biggrin.png

Splod

• Like 1

The puu yai baan of the village of my wife's parents once asked me if I was interested in working under the new scheme but I asked for details as the school is 30 km from my home. The guy told me that he was going to meet the board of the village and the schools to elaborate the details. I had never heard of them again until a few days ago when my wife's mother mentioned my wife that the school had been assigned a Filipino teacher assistant by the government. So what is with this assignment? Has anybody heard of this before? Is this a state backed scheme or they just misunderstood something?

Yes - I often wonder at the logic of it all. Certainly no offence to Filipinos or anyone else, but the object of the exercise was (I believe) to have Native English Speakers in the classrooms - as per a predefined list of "accepted" countries. In the case of no available NES guys in the area, then an alternative could be arranged.

I rather think the puu yai barn forgot to take up the matter - or the school wasn't able to contact you to sign the necessary application documents. Mind you, that's just my own guess - there could be a thousand different reasons as to why you never heard anything..... If you'd mentioned this much earlier, then you'd have got the response to follow it all up very closely, by yourself, as there's a big chance that things don't get done as agreed upon.

And yes, OBEC do actually 'assign' people to some schools - Asian NES guys are typically "cheaper", too. There is a post earlier in this thread about this.

We have seen all manner of nationalities being accepted as NES guys, including some from some rather obscure countries.

Cheers biggrin.png

Splod

Yes - I often wonder at the logic of it all. Certainly no offence to Filipinos or anyone else, but the object of the exercise was (I believe) to have Native English Speakers in the classrooms - as per a predefined list of "accepted" countries. In the case of no available NES guys in the area, then an alternative could be arranged.

From memory, the program gives 10k per month for a NES or 5k per month for a non native English speaking foreigner. So it's sorta aimed at just improving the quality of English spoken, although ideally by using NESs.

<p>

From memory, the program gives 10k per month for a NES or 5k per month for a non native English speaking foreigner. So it's sorta aimed at just improving the quality of English spoken, although ideally by using NESs.

I read, elsewhere, based on an unofficial translation of a Thai Education Ministry document, that:

1. The 5K applies to Native Chinese/Japanese etc (NC/JS) speakers, not NES speakers.

2. Amongst other qualifications, the NES speakers needed to be educated up to at least M6 level.

3. Anyone, whose second language is English, considered for employm

Edited by Route21

3. Anyone, whose second language is English, considered for employm

Resending the final section of my truncated post ......

3. Anyone, whose second language is English, considered for employment under the NES program would need to demonstrate at least 2-years residence in one of the designated "NES-speaking" countries (UK, US, Australia, New Zealand or Canada) or pass an English proficiency test.

Regards

R21

PS Apologies for the delay in responding - I'm having constant mobile internet access problems!

Full post No. 304

Thankyou for your kind words.

I would have to say that I did not want to continue to teach it was only until they could find somebody, so I offered to help out until they found someone.

So it's as you say there lost, they don't really understand a foreigners position to stay in Thailand, so it was up to me to make sure I was not breaking the law.

@Kwasaki

Sad to read about that - a real waste of (your) time and effort. Unfortunately, it's often the way of things here. Still, it's an experience to remember - and you'll definitely be better prepared, should a similar opportunity arise. Just don't be at all surprised if you're contacted again to work the hours you'd originally agreed on.....

SlyAnimal really says it all - and shrug off any disappointment and remember - their opportunity to hear and speak real English has gone, possibly never to experience again.

Naturally, the school will return the unused monies to OBEC......cheesy.gif

Cheers biggrin.png

Splod

" the kids are probably more disappointed than you are..." I somehow don't agree with that but yes maybe a few, especially the ones who already know me and the kids in the family. laugh.pnglaugh.png

• 2 months later...

Hi Tv forum ...I really need some advice and help from anyone out there who knows the answers to my questions re the 10,000. scheme and teaching in a government school here. My story sounds very similar to others that I have read on this forum.

I was approached by a Thai teacher I know last April to teach at the local village school when the term starts in November for the 10,000 baht scheme. I might add here that I am a woman married to a Thai, not living in Bangkok and that I have been a teacher for the Government in my home country for approximately 25 years. I have a 4 year Bachelor of Education degree, teachers certificate for my home country and Government approval police checks etc...The Principal sent off all my details photocopies etc and of course I was approved..then the same teacher approached me about a month ago and said that the government office in the town near where I live had 7200 baht left over and would I be interested in doing a months work at 36 hours x 200 baht per hour. I thought ok why not. From the word go it was a lot of non communication and nobody actually telling me what to do or my hours etc. The Thai guy who is the English teacher at this small school of 30 students was away for the first week that I was there...so I seemed to be just left with his classes and anybody elses out of the other 2 Thai teachers when they were away...in the first week I taught 17 and a half hours...the second week when this English teacher came back and I had finished my afternoon hour I asked him who was to take my class and he just walked away for hour an hour and didnt come back...when he finally did it turns out that he was supposed to take the class !!!! Also when I asked him what I should be teaching he said everything ie reading writing grammar etc...only yesterday I read your forum and I see that under this 10,000 baht scheme I am employed as a teachers assistant and that a Thai teacher should be in the room as well...well thats him and he has never been in the room!!!!

...so in the 2nd week I taught 11 and a half hours and then last week 7...so my 36 hours are up before the month ..

Just before I started this months stint I was told by the principal of another bigger local school that the Tessabaan will be employing me in the next term for 36,000 baht a month...now last week the principal of my school told me next term that I will be working at 2 schools..the present one and a much bigger one for 90 hours a month and only 18000 baht...I havent signed anything but can someone please tell me what I should do? the principal was away most of last week after he told me this so I havent had a chance to tell him that I have finished my hours or discuss this matter with him. From what I read on the forum yesterday it seems that under this 10,000 baht scheme I can only work at one school and also I read that working this 90 hours a month is considered full time.

I might also add that they have been getting me to sign an attendence book since I have been there (the same as on the NES website) that they have told me that they have the work permit for me but havent showed me anything and that they are expecting me to write a months programs for this 36 hours of teaching (which I have been doing)...which they want to submit into head office. What is the difference between the Tessabaan employing me and this 10,000 baht scheme ?? where does that money come from ?? I know the government but is it via the Education Office??

Can anybody PLEASE give me some advice...I would like to teach but am not going to work for this sort of money or are they right by offering me this minimal amount for a 90 hour month.

thanks

From what you write, it all sounds very mystifying.... You have apparently only signed the application forms for the 10K baht subsidy program that the government finally got started in July. As far as I know there is NO continuation of the program after this semester finishes - and I've not heard of any school being subsidized by the government from November.

I don't like to say this - and it's quite possible that I've misunderstood some of your post - but it looks very much like you've possibly been "used" to fill an absent teacher's position. You're correct that a Thai teacher is supposed to be in the classroom with a NES teacher (yourself), though I'm not sure if many schools actually followed this rule. Too, such schools have not provided ANY work permits - or made any police checks, that I'm aware of.

From your info I'd say that the 10k baht school has NO say as to when and where you'll be working from November. If you wish to follow the Tessaban offer, then I'd forget about the 10K school. Indeed, my own opinion would be to get away from the 10K baht school as quickly as possible - it sounds like hell on earth. You should have received an "invitation" letter from the 10K baht school, before you started work there. This letter explains your working times and period of employment. If you haven't received any letter/contract of any sort, then you may have to worry about getting your salary... You should have signed the working hours sheet each month that the government uses to tot up and pay out your salary - and you have to sign for actual receipt of the salary at a later date, when it's paid to you.

If the Tessaban has offered you employment, then they have to provide (or agree to) a work permit, which they or you have to pay for - try to get THEM to arrange and pay for it.

The 10K baht school and the Tessaban school are 2 different entities and not under the same administration - though they are both government schools (I think). If the 10K baht school principal has been telling you that you'll be working here and/or there - then he's trying something on. He can only inform you of his own school - not another school. I'd refrain from signing anything (like a contract) with this school!

Good luck - and do post about what you decide

Edited by scooterboy
  • Like 1

I might also add that they have been getting me to sign an attendence book since I have been there (the same as on the NES website) that they have told me that they have the work permit for me but havent showed me anything and that they are expecting me to write a months programs for this 36 hours of teaching (which I have been doing)...which they want to submit into head office. What is the difference between the Tessabaan employing me and this 10,000 baht scheme ?? where does that money come from ?? I know the government but is it via the Education Office??

Signing the attendance book sounds reasonable (though personally I've never done it) - I presume it's the book that the other teachers also sign, with IN- and OUT times.

You should remember that you've been accepted by the school as a NES teacher under the government scheme. This is to improve the kids' speaking abilities - especially regarding pronunciation and understanding of English. These NES teachers are NOT required to teach any grammar - and you're certainly the first one I've heard of that has to write monthly programs - but I'm sure there are others that have had to do the same thing on a lesser scale......

The Tessaban school would probably want to employ you as a teacher - and not as a NES person - and in which case you have to have the necessary degree(s) and will have to jump through all the OBEC/TCT/MOE/Labour Dept. hoops.

NES guys don't necessarily need degrees...

I fear you've been taken for a ride.....sorry.

• Like 1

Thank you to Scooterboy...I will try to make myself clearer. .I do think that this work I am doing now is through the NES scheme and yes I am being left to do everything etc etc ...I did have the letter informing me about the work taken from the NES website and the other pages are in Thai, stating that I will be paid 200 baht an hour etc.

Those hours are done now but the principal hasnt been in to school so I can let him know that I am finished..

Yes I feel used and am really tired. I am trying to find out more information so I can say something to the principal this week in regards to this other offer that has been made as he has been the one doing the limited amount of communication with me.

I should make myself clear...the principal that is from another bigger school and who told me about the Tessabaan employing me was talking about the government Tessabaan Office for our Tambon employing me and not a Tessbaan School. The 2 schools were to be the one I am at now and another primary school in the same Tambon.

This is where I am confused....can the Tessabaan Office contract me as a teacher to work in two schools and being 90 hours a month face to face teaching does this mean that I would be full time ? If so what would be the going rate for a fully qualified English Teacher at a Government School / Or how can I find this out ?

I am the only westerner that lives around here and being fully qualified ,experienced etc is like finding a goldmine for them...I just have a feeling all you have told me scooterboy sounds very true and from what I am reading I am not the only person this is happening to. Sad really...really poor kids desperate to learn English but with the money they are wanting to a pay me I think I will have to say no....

Hmm...so you have the "invitation" letter. In it you'll see the contract period and possibly the working hours. It oughtn't to be necessary to inform the principal that you're finished - it's his business to know! You only have to worry about getting any owed salary, which (for September month) will probably be paid out towards the end of October (or even later). As long as you have signed the working hours payment sheet for the month, then there probably won't be any problem with the salary, as it's the Education Center that arranges payment.

As far as the Tessaban school/office goes. Yes, I do believe that they can contract you out to other schools. Some people quite enjoy this, as they work for, say, a month or two at one school and then go to a different school to work. However, you are quite within your rights to stipulate whether or not you want to be contracted out to different schools - as long as you make sure that your wishes are on any contract (before you sign). It's really up to you - talk to the Tessaban contact and hear what he or she says. If you're not comfortable with their arrangement, then you can tell them exactly HOW you want to work. If they don't agree with you then just don't sign anything. Don't be afraid you open your mouth and specify exactly what you want - maybe the people you deal with don't have any idea what it is, you want and have to make their own guesses.

With your qualifications you should have no problems getting work. Some advice - just walk into a school that you like and ask to talk to the English teacher (or head English teacher at larger schools). Wear presentable clothes and be polite - you'll have a job very quickly, though you might have to try several schools. Look at ajarn dot com for possible teaching jobs in your area.

Your salary is really something between you and your employer. I don't think there are any fixed rates for teachers or union agreements of any sort - though some with better knowledge is welcome to post.

Personally, I wouldn't consider working at a school for only 200 baht an hour, but it's naturally up to the individual. As for working 90 hours a month - no way (for me). I love to help out, but I have a private life, too - and if you think that there's no extra work needed (planning, marking exams, whatever), then think again - and you don't get any extra salary for this!

Hopefully, others will come with some good advice for you.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Thank you once again Scooterboy for all the sound advice. I have decided to go in to the school tomorrow to tidy up the loose ends..I will try and talk to the Principle then. It does all seem a mess..thing is I just read the invitation letter that I made a photocopy of ...where it says hours they have typed in the word hours in Thai ...where it says from /to and a date should be written in they have typed in Thai from / to and date in Thai...hahahahahaha... yes very organized !!!!! lucky I didnt sign this !!!I will take your advice about signing anything if this work does progress with the Tessabaan Office.

Anyway thing is I now know that 200 baht an hour is ok if I was going to help to do some part time work which is all that I wanted in the first place but a full time position for that sort of money is ridiculous. I mean I would not only be marking but having to write the programs as well ha ha ha..As I mentioned before I was a full time Government teacher at home for many many years so I know the story about how much involvement is expected.

Anyway will post and let you know the results so others also can see how this sort of scenario pans out..thanks again

Well, good for you!

You already sound more confident about making any future decisions - and that's a big step forward. Many schools are very decent with their staff and they're no problem at all, but there are also many schools that will try and squeeze everything - and more - out of their staff if they can get away with it.

Spend some time reading the various threads on this forum - there's a mine of useful information dotted around the place which you can use to your advantage.

All the best with the Tessaban project - and hope it all works out and that your work goes well.

Yes, please - it would be great to know how you get on!

Again - good luck!

Thank you Scooterboy...yes am going to be very polite but tell them today how I feel...I think I have been living in Thailand for too long hahahaha am starting to be Greng Jai about confronting people...but that is great advice that you gave me and it has boosted my confidence..the English teacher will be away today (he told me last Friday) and dont know if the Por Or will show up either...I will just go in and play it by ear but will let someone there know today. Yes there are many good threads on this forum ..thanks again for your help and advice.

Kind Regards

I have been teaching at Government Schools for over 5 years now at an average of 18 hours a week and 33,000 baht a month, that works out to 423 baht an hour. The director of my local school asked me to teach 6 hours a week for 10,000 baht a month. That works out to 385 baht an hour. I was ready to slow down so I said yes. The time sheets I fill out shoe me working more than that, but I only work 2 hours a day Tuesday 08:30-09:30 and 10:30-11:30, I do the same thing Wednesday and then Thursday I teach from 09:30-10:30-11:30 and each day I go home at 11:30. As far as I'm concerned anyone working hours longer than that or for less than 385 an hour are being used and unless they really need the money should not do it. I would rather work 6 hours a week for free than 12 hours a week for 10,000 baht a month. By the way has anybody heard if the program is going to be extended for next term?

• Like 1

No, it's not legal without paperwork.

School here is VERY different from where you come from. I've been doing it 10 years here and the penny's only just starting to drop.

For 10K I would think you you would have to do 10 full days.

If you don't need the money, I wouldn't bother.

i've said to my wife i cannot see how they could justify 2,500 per day for this .. i would actualy feel i little guilty having it from them.

while the money always helps I see it also as i way perhaps of getting used to village life a litte more, especilay the making of new friends

also the fun aspect of something new.. i don't think i'd like the daily 3 hour version as it creates a huge bind ontime for little return, but just dedicating 1 day per week does not seem so bad.

i wonder if this is part of this 200,000 native english teacher project mentioned on another thread and they have set schools unrealisitic dates to submit paperwork

Keep your mouth shut and stop gossiping about a perfectly well run new system, foolish people are those who spread negativity about teachers in thailand and the generous government which employs them..

I have been teaching at Government Schools for over 5 years now at an average of 18 hours a week and 33,000 baht a month, that works out to 423 baht an hour. The director of my local school asked me to teach 6 hours a week for 10,000 baht a month. That works out to 385 baht an hour. I was ready to slow down so I said yes. The time sheets I fill out shoe me working more than that, but I only work 2 hours a day Tuesday 08:30-09:30 and 10:30-11:30, I do the same thing Wednesday and then Thursday I teach from 09:30-10:30-11:30 and each day I go home at 11:30. As far as I'm concerned anyone working hours longer than that or for less than 385 an hour are being used and unless they really need the money should not do it. I would rather work 6 hours a week for free than 12 hours a week for 10,000 baht a month. By the way has anybody heard if the program is going to be extended for next term?

Dear Issangeorge...thank you for this information it is very valuable to me...are you doing coversation or written/ grammar etc as well ??? Who is writing the programs... you ? or are the lesson plans given to you ? As you can read in my previous posts I am feeling very used by the school I have just been teaching at..at least I know now what is the normal type of pay and hours for working in a Government school..

Padped, I am suppose to be teaching conversation, but non of my students can read English, so it is hard to teach conversation when they can't read, all they do is parrot you. So I have been trying to teach them how to read and yet also speak so they do get some conversation. I plan my own lessons, which is very time consuming. I would guess that for every class room hour I teach I have 3 to 4 prep hours.

• Like 1

Padped, I am suppose to be teaching conversation, but non of my students can read English, so it is hard to teach conversation when they can't read, all they do is parrot you. So I have been trying to teach them how to read and yet also speak so they do get some conversation. I plan my own lessons, which is very time consuming. I would guess that for every class room hour I teach I have 3 to 4 prep hours.

Issangeorge, I have a friend who teaches in S. Thailand. He almost lost his job because the school (he thinks the students) said he wasn't well prepared for class. He was able to produce all of his lesson plans for the duration and it saved his job. His thought was that it was the students who weren't prepared, even though he sent them home with written study instructions after each class. He thought the students were trying to save face after not trying.

Like you, he really cared about the kids' learning and he worked hard at it. Congratulations on putting in the effort. Please keep copies of your lesson plans. Also they will of course help when you get a new group of students.

• Like 1

Issangeorge Have you seen the British Council CD / Computer disk lesson plans...they have visuals with word lists/ vocab, short lessons, songs and games..the schools who were doing the 10,000 baht scheme were all given a copy...there are also word /flash cards and lots of downloads to go with each topic...you can then do your lesson plans to co-ordinate with these..I think that you would find them very helpful if you dont already have a copy