I'Ve Been Asked To Teach English In The Village School

I am teaching as part of the new governmrnt initiative. I was summond to the wifes school at 9.30 on Sunday 22 April, where I met the Principles and teacher representatives from both schools. After very little conversation and a meeting being held in the adjoining room, my wife informed me that I would be appointed to teach 13 hours a month at each school for salaries of 10,000 Bhat (each school). The offer was too good to refuse.

Sent from my GT-P1000T using Thaivisa Connect App

so the story is, now you are allowed to teach at 2 seperate schools. blink.png

my wife asked at the local education office and was told NO. one teacher, one school.

TiT, same shit, different day. rules for some and none for others.why am I still surprised? its expected but its so downright stupid that it defies belief. clap2.gif

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kwasaki. . . I am not sure what my role is supposed to be, but I gather from previous posts it is to assist in the English teacher(s) in tge classroom. In my wifes class she popped in for 1 minute then left me to my own devises. In another class the rather large and elderly teacher sat at the back of the class sweating until she could bear it no longer and then left me alone in conversation with the students. In the other two classes, the teachers were present, to assist me.

With regards to the work permit, surprise, surprise it was not available but I understand the wheels are in motion. . . Hmmmm

Edited by Daxter

I am teaching as part of the new governmrnt initiative. I was summond to the wifes school at 9.30 on Sunday 22 April, where I met the Principles and teacher representatives from both schools. After very little conversation and a meeting being held in the adjoining room, my wife informed me that I would be appointed to teach 13 hours a month at each school for salaries of 10,000 Bhat (each school). The offer was too good to refuse.

my wife asked at the local education office and was told NO. one teacher, one school.

TiT, same shit, different day. rules for some and none for others.why am I still surprised? its expected but its so downright stupid that it defies belief. clap2.gif

Maybe you were given the correct information, but like you said "TiT" and the left hand doesnt know what the right is doing, so I suspect you could probably teach in as many schools as you could cope with! Who knows I may later find out that I can only teach in one school, but it wont be the end of the world. Maybe Para could take my place. . . its a lovely village, with a beautiful temple and an excellent little restaurant.

Monday morning. First day of class at the local schools. I haven't heard a peep from either of the schools that asked me to teach. I wonder if it might have anything to do with me writing, in Thai, on my application that I expected the school to get me a work permit prior to the first day of class? Humm?

I half expect someone to show up on my doorstep before Friday to give it one last try. We'll see. But considering that I've notified each school in writing (in Thai) that a work permit was essential to me agreeing to work, and was non-negotiable - well, maybe I won't. I guess it depends how bad that want me.

No problem. Back to the easy life of semi-retirement.

Most teachers have to work without the work permit being issued it does take some time. It is perfectly alright to work as long as the paperwork has been put in and the school has the paperwork from the labour office to show that.

sent from my Wellcom A90+

It's illegal to work without a work permit. Having the paperwork submitted is not having a valid work permit -- that's a fallacy. It's still against the law and you run the risk of being busted: 5 years in jail, 100K baht fine, and deportation. Sure, if you're busted and you're taken to jail, and then to court, I guess you could argue that you have submitted the paperwork. But the risk is all on the foreigner. I don't know about you, but I never want to see the inside of a Thai jail -- ever!

Slightly off topic (but maybe not) for those who plan to work without a work permit, or are currently doing so. Considering that you are risking being sent to jail, here is some light reading by a farang who spent some time in a Thai prison.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tm-hoy/what-its-like-in-bangkok-_b_1533902.html

Too many responses to reply to but here is the latest situation...

BKK could not issue the certificate I needed to get a work permit. Neither could Kamphaengphet Uni help. However the school can employ me directly as a teachers assistant if I do less than 15 hours a week...So that is what I am doing..

Edited by Scott

Plop this is becoming more of a joke as each day passes!

OK so no official work visa BUT working less than 15 hrs/wk negates this, right?

Seeing as the original deal was 6hrs/wk @ 10k/month can I ask how your deal of 15hrs/wk lines up? Ahh you're working 2 schools right?

Para

That all sounds very complicated, Plopmeister! blink.png

The school can employ you directly? Well, I guess you'd still need a work permit for that, wouldn't you, so I can't really see that you're any/much better off? Are you starting work now - or are you still waiting for this and that to fall into place?

To cap it all, we're hearing that the new project will last until September - and that the NES school contracts will be for a (soon) maximum of 4(?) months.

For those of us that insist on a work permit and any other official paperwork to be in place before work actually starts - plus perhaps having to change one's visa status - it seems that it'll all hardly be worth the effort in the end, what with the way things go so slowly, here.

The possible contract period is shrinking by the week - and by the time all the paperwork is in place, there might just be a month or two left to assist in the classroom.....whistling.gif

Cheers biggrin.png

Splod

• Like 1

Well, good luck, Daxter!! wink.png

Nice to hear that you had to do very little at the interview - and certainly the working hours are a real dream!! tongue.png

Does the school have a curriculum - or are you left to manage things on your own without any books or proper plan?

I can only imagine that most other schools will attempt to squeeze more hours into the contracts, if they possibly can - which has definitely been my own experience, (so far).

Good luck with "assisting" - but please do be careful if you're working without the correct papers.

Hopefully, they'll turn up very quickly!

Cheers biggrin.png

Splod

That strange that the local education office didn't know the ruling. whistling.gifrolleyes.gifbiggrin.png show them this.

Section 21. A holder of permit shall not engage in the work other than that which is specified in the permit or change locality or place of work from that which is specified in the permit unless a permission is obtained from the Registrar.

GOVERNMENT FEES FOR WORK PERMIT

7. 1,000 Baht/time = Permission to change or add job description.

8. 3,000 Baht/time = Permission to change or add employer.

9. 1,000 Baht/time = Permission to change or add the locality or place of work.

10. 150 Baht/time = Permission to change or add conditions.

Monday morning. First day of class at the local schools. I haven't heard a peep from either of the schools that asked me to teach. I wonder if it might have anything to do with me writing, in Thai, on my application that I expected the school to get me a work permit prior to the first day of class? Humm?

I half expect someone to show up on my doorstep before Friday to give it one last try. We'll see. But considering that I've notified each school in writing (in Thai) that a work permit was essential to me agreeing to work, and was non-negotiable - well, maybe I won't. I guess it depends how bad that want me.

No problem. Back to the easy life of semi-retirement.

Friday evening -- No one has called or dropped by. I think I scared them away with the insistence on a work permit. Maybe they can now appreciate what's it's like to be a foreigner trying to work in this country. Or not smile.png Mai bpen rai. Maybe when they start losing global market share to the likes of Burma, Vietnam, and the Philippians they'll wake up a loosen up immigration and labor policies for "critical skills", like teaching English...........LOL! Puut len! "Ha Ha Ha You make joking Luang Connda! You have joking fun jing jing"

Edited by connda

OK, lets assume applications are being looked at as we speak. lets assume all schools will get their grant money. lets assume the money will be paid from the start of the school term (backdated)

I would like to start teaching for my village school at the start of June. Surely the powers that be can get it sorted by months end. If not then I have used 13 hours of my life for the greater good and the school will see that I tried. What do you think ?

What I think?

I think that if it were a European country that asked (nay, begged!) for foreigners to assist at schools - and then basically totally ignored them thereafter, then it would end up in the newspapers and on tv: heads would roll - and very quickly, too. laugh.png

Here, you can wait and wait and wait and.......eventually things will get done, but not before you're sufficiently frustrated w00t.gif , annoyed crazy.gif and have probably given up on ever hearing anything. coffee1.gif

'Twould be interesting to know how many of these NES applicants have in the meantime changed their minds, moved, found a different job - or just gone to another country/back home. whistling.gif

Luckily - although I'm retired. I'm busy - and the day doesn't have enough hours in it for me to do all the things I want. If the program is delayed by weeks or even months, then there are plenty of other things to do.......

Cheers biggrin.png

Splod

The school can employ you directly? Well, I guess you'd still need a work permit for that, wouldn't you, so I can't really see that you're any/much better off? Are you starting work now - or are you still waiting for this and that to fall into place?

To cap it all, we're hearing that the new project will last until September - and that the NES school contracts will be for a (soon) maximum of 4(?) months.

For those of us that insist on a work permit and any other official paperwork to be in place before work actually starts - plus perhaps having to change one's visa status - it seems that it'll all hardly be worth the effort in the end, what with the way things go so slowly, here.

The possible contract period is shrinking by the week - and by the time all the paperwork is in place, there might just be a month or two left to assist in the classroom.....whistling.gif

Cheers biggrin.png

Splod

I can work on a NON O visa as I obtained it by being married to a Thai ( written response from TAK Immigration). I would need everything mentioned in all previous posts if I worked more than 15 hours a week so I am currently doing 3 hours each morning and have a contract directly with the school ( Written response from the education authority in BKK that issues the certificate to teach and by Kamphaengphet Uni).

The original initiative was, of course, set up to improve Thailand's current standing within ASEAN but today they mentioned that the school may wish to prolong my contract beyond September due to the response of the students..

I admit that I'm certainly no genius when it comes to Work Permits and the like - it all seems so very complicated and I'm not really sure that anyone knows all the ins and outs of all the rules and regs. rolleyes.gif

That there might be certain rules and/or interpretations that mean being able to work without having to have a WP - I think I'll leave that one to the experts. I've always been told that if you work, paid or unpaid, then you have to have a WP. smile.png

Whatever, it looks like things are finally rolling for you - and good luck with the job! thumbsup.gif

Are you supplied with textbooks, etc - or do you have make it all up as you go along?

The rest of us are still playing the waiting game - and we're absolutely sure that the application forms are being processed as speedily as possible. cheesy.gif

Cheers biggrin.png

Splod

I admit that I'm certainly no genius when it comes to Work Permits and the like - it all seems so very complicated and I'm not really sure that anyone knows all the ins and outs of all the rules and regs. rolleyes.gif

That there might be certain rules and/or interpretations that mean being able to work without having to have a WP - I think I'll leave that one to the experts. I've always been told that if you work, paid or unpaid, then you have to have a WP. smile.png

Whatever, it looks like things are finally rolling for you - and good luck with the job! thumbsup.gif

Are you supplied with textbooks, etc - or do you have make it all up as you go along?

The rest of us are still playing the waiting game - and we're absolutely sure that the application forms are being processed as speedily as possible. cheesy.gif

Cheers biggrin.png

Splod

Everything is provided .and jolly good they are too....I work with the 2 existing Thai English teachers the Prathom teacher is very, very good and I quite enjoy her lessons but the Mathom teacher is not quite so good but the students are REALLY keen to improve so that makes up for it!!

I have to say that this experience has had quite an effect on me and I am re-evaluating my future plans...

• Like 1

Sounds really great - and I hope I'm just as lucky as you are! I'm not at all sure that there is any sort of curriculum to adhere to at the schools where I might just end up "assisting"....whistling.gif

Mind you, I can only hope that they do have some sort of curriculum/routine - if it all has to be off the top of my head, then I fear I'll run out of ideas along the way. Trouble is, the schools here are generally on the small side, so maybe they don't follow the more 'normal' schools.

Yes, same as you - Prathom and Mathayom - and I think I'd really prefer just Prathom classes - less 'serious', perhaps ?

Anyway, let's see if we ever get that far......haven't yet heard of anybody's application actually being accepted (or even denied). tongue.png

Cheers biggrin.png

Splod

Sounds really great - and I hope I'm just as lucky as you are! I'm not at all sure that there is any sort of curriculum to adhere to at the schools where I might just end up "assisting"....whistling.gif

Mind you, I can only hope that they do have some sort of curriculum/routine - if it all has to be off the top of my head, then I fear I'll run out of ideas along the way. Trouble is, the schools here are generally on the small side, so maybe they don't follow the more 'normal' schools.

Yes, same as you - Prathom and Mathayom - and I think I'd really prefer just Prathom classes - less 'serious', perhaps ?

Anyway, let's see if we ever get that far......haven't yet heard of anybody's application actually being accepted (or even denied). tongue.png

Cheers biggrin.png

Splod

My books are in the car at the moment. Tomorrow I'll bring them up and list the titles for you...

EDIT = This thread must make "Real" English teachers shudder...

Edited by plopmeister

I was told 2 weeks ago I wasn't needed. Ho hum......

"Was told indirectly that I will not be required to teach at the local school. Slightly peeved as we normally have a lot of kids in and out of the Temple and their English is atrocious."

Yes, Para - you're certainly right, though I must admit that I had understood it being from a 'local somebody', rather than from an official source (i.e. - Area Education Centre) and your application form being (officially) rejected.

Cheers biggrin.png

Splod

"Was told indirectly that I will not be required to teach at the local school. Slightly peeved as we normally have a lot of kids in and out of the Temple and their English is atrocious."

Yes, Para - you're certainly right, though I must admit that I had understood it being from a 'local somebody', rather than from an official source (i.e. - Area Education Centre) and your application form being (officially) rejected.

Cheers biggrin.png

Splod

Cheers Splod not happy with it but at least its an answer something seldom received in this country!

Para

Cheers biggrin.png

Splod

I can work on a NON O visa as I obtained it by being married to a Thai ( written response from TAK Immigration). I would need everything mentioned in all previous posts if I worked more than 15 hours a week so I am currently doing 3 hours each morning and have a contract directly with the school ( Written response from the education authority in BKK that issues the certificate to teach and by Kamphaengphet Uni).

The original initiative was, of course, set up to improve Thailand's current standing within ASEAN but today they mentioned that the school may wish to prolong my contract beyond September due to the response of the students..

Could you tell me how you obtained this response ? I am in a very similar situation. Thanks.

Cheers biggrin.png

Splod

Could you tell me how you obtained this response ? I am in a very similar situation. Thanks.

The school has been pursueing this...

Great, thanks!

If you can couple the titles with which class (age or number) that use them, then that'd be a really big help. thumbsup.gif

Cheers biggrin.png

Splod

Mathayom 1 to 3 - "Access Student's Book" 1 to 3 by Virginia Evans and Jane Dooley.118 Baht each

Prathom 1 to 6 -" Say Hello Student's Book" 3 to 6 by Kusaya Saengdet 95 Baht each (1 and 2 are too small and basically I am just used as practice of Alphabet, Hello,,My name is etc. )

Thanks for the heads up - I'll (obviously) wait and see when/if I actually end up "assisting" and then see if the schools use any text books, at all. If not, then I'll try and buy some/all of the ones you mention, as my own books - and use them to "assist".

The alphabet, numbers and "what's your name....etc" are very important for the little ones to learn, I sometimes hear the younger kids here saying "worts yo nayme?" and the like - so they DO learn something, but their pronunciation is normally - well - pretty awful. blink.png

Luckily, the wife's rather good at guessing what they're sometimes saying - otherwise I'd often have no clue as to what they're talking about. However, sometimes even she has to give up........

A good step in the right direction would perhaps be for me to try and improve on their pronunciation. wink.png

Cheers - and thanks again for the info, very useful! biggrin.png

Splod

Edited by CaptainSplod

Thanks for the heads up - I'll (obviously) wait and see when/if I actually end up "assisting" and then see if the schools use any text books, at all. If not, then I'll try and buy some/all of the ones you mention, as my own books - and use them to "assist".

The alphabet, numbers and "what's your name....etc" are very important for the little ones to learn, I sometimes hear the younger kids here saying "worts yo nayme?" and the like - so they DO learn something, but their pronunciation is normally - well - pretty awful. blink.png

Luckily, the wife's rather good at guessing what they're sometimes saying - otherwise I'd often have no clue as to what they're talking about. However, sometimes even she has to give up........

A good step in the right direction would perhaps be for me to try and improve on their pronunciation. wink.png

Cheers - and thanks again for the info, very useful! biggrin.png

Splod

Regarding pronunciation, I have 2 "problems' that I would like to share..

I. I originate from Dorset and had a strong West Country accent in my youth but over the years ( I am 55 now) this has gradually been eroded but I can hear it sometimes when they reply to my examples...

2. I have worked all over the world as a Consultant Project Manager and more significantly all over Asia for the past 20 years and I have to think REALLY hard sometimes to pronounce a word correctly rather than in a received Asian English accent.

All I can say is that this job is making the world of difference to me as a person to the point that I maybe getting more out of this experience than the children!!!!!!

• Like 1

Heh! - I don't suppose that a slight Dorset accent would be anything of a problem among Thais - but, yes, I do know very well what you mean.

I spent some years in London and was downright embarrassed when I one day heard my own voice on tape.

"'Ere, mate - 'ow's ziss fir'r good deal, d'yer reckan?" Almost "worse" that a real Cockney!! At first I couldn't believe that was my voice - and it took several years to re-train my accent - back to a more clear way of talking that I'd had before the London years.

Fortunately, through the years I've had to help other nationalities pronounce many English words and I'm already aware that a correct pronunciation is important - with or without any slight accent. wink.png

Typically, English speaking Thai ladies have one of the cutest accents I've ever heard - and probably many other nationalities are just as cute, too, in their own way.

I'm also wondering if the school experience will change my life sooner or later - I rather hope not, actually, as I originally came here to retire from working, but after hearing and reading of others' similar experiences, I wouldn't be at all surprised to end up "working" full time.....laugh.png

Cheers biggrin.png

Splod