I'Ve Been Asked To Teach English In The Village School

@issangeorge

You might not know of any/many businesses in the village itself, but I'd imagine that there are a few here and there - or even on the outskirts of town. Some kids normally have to come to school from further afield, so maybe there are some appropriate businesses to be found further away. Our Thai neighbour has a type of "Womens' Club" for the locals - and when they occasionally (once or twice a year) have to raise money for a good cause, they always seem to be able to persuade the local businesses, shops and stores to cough up a few items for their fair.

Anyway, as I mentioned, it would probably need the permission of your school to try and persuade 'others' to support a teacher. One possibility is to allow any supporting business to have a certain sized poster in/near to the school.

I suppose one could question how Thais eagerly and regularly support their wat/temple with donations, but donating money for their kids' education isn't a done thing. However, I'm not really sure I want to speculate too much about that........ rolleyes.gifwhistling.gif

Also, see the above post from thesilentman - that's an excellent example of how to overcome some of the difficulties in helping to teach.

And to thesilentman - it sound great and good for you!! I'd certainly be interested to know a bit more about how you manage your private classes.

Do you have a "classroom" available, with desks and chairs - black/whiteboard available?

Are kids in completely different age groups taught together?

50 baht an hour isn't perhaps a great deal of money - but I doubt many of our local villagers have that much spare money. I might try to embark on a similar quest if things don't pick up in this area, even though there is already an "English Language Classes" thing in a private house and run by a Thai. It's quite a distance from us and I've absolutely no idea if anyone sends their kids there.

I wonder if it'd be worth asking our local school to "donate" a classroom at the weekends (or evenings, maybe) for any such classes.

Whatever - good luck with your classes - a great initiative - and I hope they're a big success! thumbsup.gif

Cheers biggrin.png

Splod

Edited by CaptainSplod

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@issangeorge

You might not know of any/many businesses in the village itself, but I'd imagine that there are a few here and there - or even on the outskirts of town. Some kids normally have to come to school from further afield, so maybe there are some appropriate businesses to be found further away. Our Thai neighbour has a type of "Womens' Club" for the locals - and when they occasionally (once or twice a year) have to raise money for a good cause, they always seem to be able to persuade the local businesses, shops and stores to cough up a few items for their fair.

Anyway, as I mentioned, it would probably need the permission of your school to try and persuade 'others' to support a teacher. One possibility is to allow any supporting business to have a certain sized poster in/near to the school.

I suppose one could question how Thais eagerly and regularly support their wat/temple with donations, but donating money for their kids' education isn't a done thing. However, I'm not really sure I want to speculate too much about that........ rolleyes.gifwhistling.gif

Also, see the above post from thesilentman - that's an excellent example of how to overcome some of the difficulties in helping to teach.

And to thesilentman - it sound great and good for you!! I'd certainly be interested to know a bit more about how you manage your private classes.

Do you have a "classroom" available, with desks and chairs - black/whiteboard available?

Are kids in completely different age groups taught together?

50 baht an hour isn't perhaps a great deal of money - but I doubt many of our local villagers have that much spare money. I might try to embark on a similar quest if things don't pick up in this area, even though there is already an "English Language Classes" thing in a private house and run by a Thai. It's quite a distance from us and I've absolutely no idea if anyone sends their kids there.

I wonder if it'd be worth asking our local school to "donate" a classroom at the weekends (or evenings, maybe) for any such classes.

Whatever - good luck with your classes - a great initiative - and I hope they're a big success! thumbsup.gif

Cheers biggrin.png

Splod

50 baht and hour from villagers who make between 200 to 300 baht a day? Minimum 10 students to start a class. Hummm....

Real philanthropy there ermm.gif .

This topic is starting to move off-topic. The issue of teachers being hired in the rural schools has widespread implications both for teachers and students. How the rules are written and implemented is also important.

Private tutorial is probably best discussed in a different thread.

Probably the best idea is that private tutorial work should not be discussed at all or if it is discussed it should be via P.M.s

I did comment many a post back that this, ''Teach English in the Village School,'' scheme was indeed laudable however I also wished those offering their services the best of luck.

Being involved in education here for the last 21 years I am well aware of the machinations of the assorted government offices and ministries in their daily routines as I am sure Scott is too.

Indeed those assorted government officials employed in the assorted offices must have trained at The Machiavellian School of Manipulation as their worthy efforts so plainly show us all..

Edited by siampolee
  • Like 2

Hum....well, to get back on topic again, it appears that some applications submitted many weeks ago are still "in the pipeline" - that's to say that the applicants have still yet to be informed that they have been accepted. As far as the Wikileaks-type pipeline goes, the relevant schools have just been or are just now being informed. That means, that some people that may have given up on hearing anything at all, may soon hear something to their (dis)advantage. Too, this seems mostly to affect applications for NES guys at Prathom (Primary) Schools.

We also note that in some accessed provinces, many of the accepted applicants have turned down the offer of working 50 hours for 10K or were simply unable to be contacted. Likewise, a fair amount have apparently accepted the offer.

It appears that the contract length is 4 whole months irrespective of when the first working day begins. For example, if you start work on 1st August - then your contract ought to finish on 30th November, even though the project was originally set to run only until the end(?) of September. Presumably, the same goes for people starting in the middle of the month or on "odd" dates - your contract should end around the same middle or "odd" date in the appropriate month.

Cheers biggrin.png

Splod

I'm happy to say today I got my job back. I guess the funding came through, I also got paid for last month. I took my agent (wife) in to negotiate for me and the terms are the same 6 hours a week 2 hours Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday mornings. I didn't really understand what they were talking about, but my wife told the director I was from Canada and not Cambodia or Laos and they couldn't expect me to work slave hours, or something like that. I had decided and told my wife beforehand, that there was no way I was going to work 12 hours a week, I've had full time jobs making 33,000 baht a month only working 12 hours a week. If I really needed the money I would go back to teaching full time.

• Like 1

I agree with others that the "intention" of this program is admirable, however the vast majority of Thais that I've met just are not very proficient at planning and implementation. I attribute that to a Thai cultural perspective that doesn't perceive a timeline much beyond the here and now -- which, again, is admirable if you are a Buddhist monk striving to live in the present, but is counter-productive for businesses and organizations that need to engage in project planning cycles. My guess is that there are not many certified native Thai "project planners" in this country. Along with English language skills, this country would benefit by emphasizing project planning skills in their universities if they ever wish to be competitive in the ASEAN community, no less the global community.

Anyway, the present c******f*** is just an example of great intentions that are so poorly thought out as to make the program virtually ineffective. Yeah, a few kids will benefit, but the end result will be negligible. Well, imho.

Oops! Sorry, I have to retract my statement about the 4 month contract being for 4 calendar months, no matter what day in the month you start. sad.png

It appears that contracts will possibly finish at the end of September - no matter when you actually start work. Mind you, please take all info with a pinch of salt - as when we're informed from one source about something, another source informs us of the same information, but the accompanying info is often different or contradicts what has previously been said. blink.png

Too, the support money for successful applicants has (already) been allocated for 4 months - and there's no explanation of what happens to any unused support money, should the project actually finish at the end of September.......whistling.gif

Cheers biggrin.png

Splod

@Issangeorge

That sounds really great! Hope you don't have any further problems and can continue your teaching as before. clap2.gif

Bet the kids are happy about it, too........thumbsup.gif

Good luck!

@connda

I'm quite loathe to admit it, but you're probably quite right. Planning and forward thinking don't seem to be something the Thais know much about and can handle very well - it's not meant as any criticism, just a de facto standard of things here.

"Great intentions?" - absolutely!!

"Yeah, a few kids will benefit, but the end result will be negligible." - Perhaps, although I'd like to wait and see what happens after September. If the government chooses to continue the project then the benefits will at least double for every few months that the project runs. Unfortunately, at the moment we have no idea or indication about any future plans - and I'm almost sure that there'll be no word from the government until after the current semester finishes.

Cheers biggrin.png

Splod

I'm happy to say today I got my job back. I guess the funding came through, I also got paid for last month. I took my agent (wife) in to negotiate for me and the terms are the same 6 hours a week 2 hours Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday mornings. I didn't really understand what they were talking about, but my wife told the director I was from Canada and not Cambodia or Laos and they couldn't expect me to work slave hours, or something like that. I had decided and told my wife beforehand, that there was no way I was going to work 12 hours a week, I've had full time jobs making 33,000 baht a month only working 12 hours a week. If I really needed the money I would go back to teaching full time.

I said I would report back !!

'Issangeorge' So it seems you got your 6 hours a week @ 10,000 baht a month after reports that teachers will have to work 50 hours for that then.??

Anyhow I had a surprise phone call this morning from the head lady teacher at the school and she said :-

" Please come Friday morning 10:00am have talk with Por orr - you start Monday. " blink.png

I said " I will come Friday but I agreed to start the week on a Tuesday and also work a Thursday."

She spoke reasonable English but after stumbling on a few words she said :- " Oh ! Oh ! you talk boss Friday bye bye." biggrin.png

I suspect it will all come to an end on Friday unless they agree to the 6 hours a week. ermm.gif

I'm happy to say ....... the terms are the same 6 hours a week 2 hours Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday mornings. I.

Hi IG

Although you have apparently been offered the 6 hours/week (25 hours/month) that you were interested in (and promised), which is really great news, you don't specifically confirm that you have got or will get the also promised 10K/month?

It looks like either the government, or your local powers that be, have started, at least partly, to fulfil their previous promises.

Many congratulations to you and your "Agent"!

Regards

R21

So far this week I have worked the agreed 2 hours a day on Tuesday and Wednesday, although yesterday the school went on a field trip, and I went with them, that was a 11 hour day, maybe that's how they are going to get the 50 hours out of me.

I think the project is a very good idea, but 4 months is nothing, they have to do it on a permanent bases and maybe the P4 children today, will be semi literate in English by the time they finish M3 in 6 years. Issangeorge.

I said I would report back !!

Anyhow I had a surprise phone call this morning from the head lady teacher at the school and she said :-

" Please come Friday morning 10:00am have talk with Por orr - you start Monday. " blink.png

I said " I will come Friday but I agreed to start the week on a Tuesday and also work a Thursday."

She spoke reasonable English but after stumbling on a few words she said :- " Oh ! Oh ! you talk boss Friday bye bye." biggrin.png

I suspect it will all come to an end on Friday unless they agree to the 6 hours a week. ermm.gif

Further report after meeting this Friday :-

They first said they only just received the funding to pay for one English speaking teacher.

They then gave me a letter signed by the Director of the school with an attached time-table.

The letter dated the 28th June, was worded in a strange way it read :-

You are invited to teach grade 7-9 students for 50 hrs from the 2nd July 2012 to 31st July 2012 according to the attached time-table. I was blink.png.

Looking at the attached time-table it has the 3 lessons Tuesday which I chose and the 3 lessons Thursday, I then said OK the time-table is correct but what about the letter. ermm.gif

They then said take no notice of letter that is for our records, we want you to work your agreed hours starting 17th July until the 17th October for 10,000 per month.

The lady dealing with it was OK she said you will be teaching with me, and the Director said make the children laugh, have happy learning. biggrin.png

My first lesson is 10.30 am Tuesday but the lady said bring your wife in on Tuesday morning first so she can read contract because it is in Thai, OK see you Tuesday.

So I guess although hired as such, on Tuesday will check to see that the contract has the right amount for the 3 months.

Also needed was 3 photos, photocopy's of all the necessary passport pages, photocopy of the first page details of the Thai bank account I wish the money to be paid into.

So Tuesday 17th will then see for sure if it's to continue being aacaan or not. biggrin.png

Edited by Kwasaki

Yo!

Congrats on the job - and I agree, it all sounds quite weird - but as long as you'll be working the agreed hours for the whole 3(?) months then it ought to be okay. thumbsup.gif

Umm.....we've only seen acceptances and transfers of support payments (from OBEC) for 4 month periods - and absolutely no acceptances for periods of other lengths. Wonder what happened to the last month?.......

Aah! At last! Somebody (you) actually mentioned the written contract - and it looks much like the same info we originally got (see post 276&279), though perhaps the contract length varies from area to area.... Hopefully you'll actually get a copy of the contract (Tuesday), too. Maybe IssanGeorge would like to mention how long his contract is for....

Can't imagine what the many photocopies will be used for.......any ideas on that?

Do let us know if everything goes well on Tuesday.

Cheers biggrin.png

Splod

I do not have a contract or at least one I have seen. I have been told the school has the funding for four months (40,000 baht). I would think the photos and copies might be that the school is applying for a work permit, or maybe for their own records.

I do not have a contract or at least one I have seen. I have been told the school has the funding for four months (40,000 baht). I would think the photos and copies might be that the school is applying for a work permit, or maybe for their own records.

As I said the school had received funding from MOE for 3 months to invite me to be a part-time language teacher and the contract is being drawn up for me to sign.

Yo!

Congrats on the job - and I agree, it all sounds quite weird - but as long as you'll be working the agreed hours for the whole 3(?) months then it ought to be okay. thumbsup.gif

Umm.....we've only seen acceptances and transfers of support payments (from OBEC) for 4 month periods - and absolutely no acceptances for periods of other lengths. Wonder what happened to the last month?.......

Aah! At last! Somebody (you) actually mentioned the written contract - and it looks much like the same info we originally got (see post 276&279), though perhaps the contract length varies from area to area.... Hopefully you'll actually get a copy of the contract (Tuesday), too. Maybe IssanGeorge would like to mention how long his contract is for....

Can't imagine what the many photocopies will be used for.......any ideas on that?

Cheers biggrin.png

Splod

Yep ! Was apprehensive at first going to the school meeting, thinking I would end up turning it down if the 50 hour thing was being asked of me.

As of now the situation still stands to be one of mystery to a point :D once the contract is signed ( which is in Thai hence my wife to read before signing ) they are sending that to the MOE with 2 of the 3 photos, 1 of which the school keeps.

The photocopy of the bank book is required by the school for paying the money into a Thai bank account, which the MOE want done.

The MOE require a photocopy of all relevant ID pages of passport and also the page showing marriage extension of stay.

This, I am told is so they can pass on to the office that issues the work permit.

I'm told it is OK to work for the school while the work permit is being processed. rolleyes.gif

To cover myself, maybe whistling.gif as a matter of record I was thinking of a writing a letter of reply, excepting the teacher position and mentioning about being able to work while the work permit is in progress.

Do you guys think this is a good approach to the situation.???

3 months for me " Wonder what happened to the last month?..." you ask," tea money I guess ".:D

I asked about the other guy who applied for a second position, they said he didn't have sufficient qualifications, so I don't know what that's all about.

For what it's worth, most teachers start work before they have a Work Permit. As a matter of fact, I don't know any who have gotten a Work Permit prior to actually starting work (I know it does happen). I also don't know anybody who has gotten into trouble for not having a work permit while it is was being processed.

Remember, it is also illegal to apply for a job if you are on a tourist visa, for example.

• Like 1

For what it's worth, most teachers start work before they have a Work Permit. As a matter of fact, I don't know any who have gotten a Work Permit prior to actually starting work (I know it does happen). I also don't know anybody who has gotten into trouble for not having a work permit while it is was being processed.

Remember, it is also illegal to apply for a job if you are on a tourist visa, for example.

Thanks.

I didn't know about the tourist visa bit, I know of 2 situations where persons have come into Thailand enquired about a job, told they can have one and then go to the border and get the

' B ' visa I think it is or whatever to apply for work-permits.

Edited by Kwasaki

To cover myself, maybe whistling.gif as a matter of record I was thinking of a writing a letter of reply, excepting the teacher position and mentioning about being able to work while the work permit is in progress.

@Kwasaki

Don't think I'd bother about it, to be quite honest. As Scott has said (a few times, now, too!) you ought to have virtually no problem at all - and remember the whole thing is only for 3 months. Do you actually believe that any other of the NES guys in this current government project have (or will get) a WP? "No" - is the most likely answer.

Cheers biggrin.png

Splod

Yo!

Cheers biggrin.png

Splod

Anyone get a Work Permit?

@Kwasaki

Don't think I'd bother about it, to be quite honest. As Scott has said (a few times, now, too!) you ought to have virtually no problem at all - and remember the whole thing is only for 3 months. Do you actually believe that any other of the NES guys in this current government project have (or will get) a WP? "No" - is the most likely answer.

Cheers biggrin.png Splod

Three people working full time in a Sukhothai school have received their work permits, one before and two after the school term started.

So right I haven't heard of part-timers getting one yet.

Well whether or not the expectations of a work permit turning up or not, although I was only in the UK Boy Scouts for two weeks I remember the motto, something actually recorded and handed over in a letter is better than saying " Err I thought that " so I wrote this letter anyway. :D

" In reply to your letter dated the 28th June 2012 I am pleased to accept the

position of part-time language teacher in English subject.

Also to work at the agreed days and times of the attached timetable.

Please find the enclosed paperwork you requested :-

3 photograph picture of myself in Thai immigration size 4cm x 6cm.

An A4 photocopy of my ID passport pages.

An A4 photocopy of my latest marriage extension of stay page.

An A4 photocopy of my Bangkok bank joint account No. ***********.

A photocopy of my yellow house book for my proof of address.

I hope you find all is in order and I trust you will be undertaking to obtain

and take the necessary steps to acquire a work permit from the Thailand

Department of Employment to enable me to work legally in Thailand."

Be Prepared. whistling.gif

Just a gentle reminder.

If you do get a work permit fine.

However when the contract period is over in 3 to 4 months time your work permit has to be returned you then have to leave the country as the current visa you have expires with the return of your work permit.

As far as I am aware there is no time frame of 7 days after your W.P. is returned as it was a few years back.

Now its instant exit or you're on an overstay.

Tread carefully, your charitable acts could well bite you in the bum.thumbsup.gif

Just a gentle reminder.

However when the contract period is over in 3 to 4 months time your work permit has to be returned you then have to leave the country as the current visa you have expires with the return of your work permit.

As far as I am aware there is no time frame of 7 days after your W.P. is returned as it was a few years back.

Tread carefully, your charitable acts could well bite you in the bum.thumbsup.gif

Well just another gentle reminder for those reading this it does not apply to Marriage extensions or affect your original visa.

Just a gentle reminder.

Not exactly. A visa entry would not expire, only an extension of stay based on employment. You have to apply for a 7 day extension, at the normal cost of 1,900 baht. (

If you qualify and have the paperwork in order, you can also apply for an extension of stay based on another reason, like thai wife of retirement. Or use the 7 day extension to get the paperwork in order for that and then apply for a new extension.

• Like 1

Just a thought.....

Based on the original plan, I understand, an NES with no teaching qualification or experience working for 4 schools at 25 hours/month/school (100 hours total) would be due to receive 40K Baht/month.

I'm not sure of the full-time working hours for teachers out here, but an average 4.5 week month clocks in at 180 hours/month (almost twice as much) based on a 40-hour week.

Around our area, and even in Bangkok (I heard last year), a qualified (and experienced) English teacher may not be paid any more than 40K for working full time!

I wonder who was the government's maths adviser (and has it changed recently!)?whistling.gif

Regards

R21

Just a thought.....

Based on the original plan, I understand, an NES with no teaching qualification or experience working for 4 schools at 25 hours/month/school (100 hours total) would be due to receive 40K Baht/month.

I'm not sure of the full-time working hours for teachers out here, but an average 4.5 week month clocks in at 180 hours/month (almost twice as much) based on a 40-hour week.

Around our area, and even in Bangkok (I heard last year), a qualified (and experienced) English teacher may not be paid any more than 40K for working full time!

I wonder who was the government's maths adviser (and has it changed recently!)?whistling.gif

Regards

R21

NES Teachers don't work 40h weeks though smile.png

e.g. NES Teachers at my school, teach 18h a week, for 36k a month :-P So it works out to around 89 hours per month (4.5 week month) (And it works out that on average, we actually teach less than this, due to school holidays (Although unfortunately our contracts don't provide for our usual salary in April lol)). Schools in BKK (We're in the countryside), likely pay more too smile.png.

Edited by SlyAnimal

NES Teachers at my school, teach 18h a week, for 36k a month :-P

So it works out to around 89 hours per month (4.5 week month)

Schools in BKK (We're in the countryside), likely pay more too smile.png.

Which suggests, presumably, that fully qualified and experienced NES teachers (leaving aside paid holidays etc) would receive 404 Baht/hour - only 1% higher than that originally proposed under the new scheme. What a price to pay for qualifications and experience?

The current version of the NES scheme gets ex-pats at half price - without teaching qualifications, experience or training/guidance and apparently just thrown in at the deep end for 3-4 months with no support.

Regards

R21

PS The 40K/month figure (maybe rounded off - up or down) that I mentioned for BKK was based on a Brit who was on paid leave, last year, visiting his wife's parents up here, as his school was closed by the BKK floods.

@Kwasaki

Cheers biggrin.png Splod

Three people working full time in a Sukhothai school have received their work permits, one before and two after the school term started.

So right I haven't heard of part-timers getting one yet.

Well whether or not the expectations of a work permit turning up or not, although I was only in the UK Boy Scouts for two weeks I remember the motto, something actually recorded and handed over in a letter is better than saying " Err I thought that " so I wrote this letter anyway. biggrin.png

" In reply to your letter dated the 28th June 2012 I am pleased to accept the

position of part-time language teacher in English subject.

Also to work at the agreed days and times of the attached timetable.

Please find the enclosed paperwork you requested :-

3 photograph picture of myself in Thai immigration size 4cm x 6cm.

An A4 photocopy of my ID passport pages.

An A4 photocopy of my latest marriage extension of stay page.

An A4 photocopy of my Bangkok bank joint account No. ***********.

A photocopy of my yellow house book for my proof of address.

I hope you find all is in order and I trust you will be undertaking to obtain

and take the necessary steps to acquire a work permit from the Thailand

Department of Employment to enable me to work legally in Thailand."

Be Prepared. whistling.gif

The First Day :- 8:00am. Went with wife for her to read contract, wife bla bla bla in Thai with Thai teacher, OK said wife, " You can take me back now." blink.png me thinks, seems like this is going pear shaped immediately from a western point of view.sad.png

Me :- " May I ask what is happening." smile.png

Thai teacher :- " No need contract, no need anything, only 3 month."

Me. " Excuse me but if the school is not getting me to sign a contract then it will not be applying for a work permit." ermm.gif

Thai teacher :- " No need work permit, only 3 months, only 3 months. take wife back see and you back in minute "

Me still smiling :- " My first lesson is not until 10:30am " smile.png

Thai teacher :- " No no no you stay all day, start 8:00am, finish 3:30pm. "

Me still smiling :- " You must have be mis-informed that is not what we agreed on." smile.png

Thai teacher :- " No no take wife now."

I went back at 9:50am and nothing was said, we went into the first lesson, I introduced myself to the children, turned to Thai teacher, and she just motioned for me to carry on.

I said, " Where is the class up to ", she said, " not matter just carry on." sick.gif

I got the kids laughing and then did a one to one it became obvious very quickly they knew only very basic greeting stuff, apart from the shyness which was understandable.

Out of 46 kids ages 14 -15 there were only a few that showed any interest.

I went off to lunch not feeling to good not a complete failure though even without having support.

Ok 2 more lessons to go, after lunch 12:30pm class was cancelled because of a project, so just hung around reading the students 1, 2, 3, access books, my thoughts with just a quick glimpse through each, was IMO these books were no good in the main.

Anyway now armed with one of the books it was off to the next class, smile.png they knew absolutely nothing within the page or pages they were supposed to be up to. w00t.gif

After class I said, " Thankyou for a lovely day whistling.gif bye bye." the Thai teacher said " Oh no no you stay til 3:30pm," I said, " no way bye bye." laugh.png.

Sadly my first day and my last. laugh.png

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 2