Is Mae Rim Cooler Than In Chiang Mai City?

Jezz

Next week I’ll be staying at a Thai friend’s house just a few kilometres north of Mae Rim. I’m wondering if it’s likely to be a little cooler than down in Chiang Mai city at this time of year?

No.

Not during the day anyway.

At night, places outside the city (in any direction) cool down just a little faster, which is most noticeable in the cool season when you suddenly feel a temperature drop not too far out of town. (When riding a motorbike, or with the windows open). A part of Mae Rim district is in the hills, it would get cooler there at night, in the cool season.

During the hot season during the day though, it's super hot everywhere.

Look forward to 40 degrees C in the shade. ;)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

No.

Not during the day anyway.

At night, places outside the city (in any direction) cool down just a little faster, which is most noticeable in the cool season when you suddenly feel a temperature drop not too far out of town. (When riding a motorbike, or with the windows open). A part of Mae Rim district is in the hills, it would get cooler there at night, in the cool season.

During the hot season during the day though, it's super hot everywhere.

Look forward to 40 degrees C in the shade. wink.png

Talk about bursting my bubble, at least it'll save the GF a little on gas if I stay here...sigh...but then there is that thread about Mojitos at Cafe del Sol

We live up in Mae Taeng and we have only had four mornings above 70 degrees F so far this year. Day time temps have been high but only in the mid to late afternoon. Closer to the hills or in the hills things are much cooler. If you are in the flats by the river in Mae Rim, it will likely be as hot as Chiang Mai, but get in the hills and things are much more comfortable.

• Like 1

Talk about bursting my bubble, at least it'll save the GF a little on gas if I stay here...sigh...but then there is that thread about Mojitos at Cafe del Sol

To burst your bubble even further; Cafe del Sol is no more. :/

On the plus side, Zoe in Yellow really expanded and is a very happening spot right now.

I have found that the lowlands of Mae Rim are usually a little cooler than in the big city to the south, but when the temps are in the 40s you won't feel much difference in the daytime. But head up in elevation and things are much cooler. You can now have more than just noodles up in the Mong areas surrounding Nong Hoi at either the somewhat trendy Mon Chaem or the more affordable Mon In Dao, both just a little further up the road from the Nong Hoi and the Royal Project accessible from the paved road at Pong Yang. But at this time of year, mid day is hot everywhere and best just to siesta through the hours if your work schedule will allow it. Some of my fondest memories from my single days in Chiang Mai were in April when we would hit the pub at 11:00PM and then in the wee hours head over to the old Hennesy or the lingerie show at the President, then having a meal at the old night market across from Som Phet with the drunk police around 4:00AM and going to sleep around 7:00AM. My wife does not allow me to remember the afternoons at the poolside of the Prince Hotel hanging out with the off-duty bar girls, but we did laugh alot.