Fbi Warns Hundreds Of Thousands Of Web Users Worldwide May Lose Access To The Internet In July

Crossy

I don't think this has been reported on TV yet.

Hundreds of thousands of people could lose access to the internet by July following a hackers' scam - and they don't even know it.

Unknown to most of them, their problem began when international hackers ran an online advertising scam to take control of infected computers around the world.

In a highly unusual response, the FBI set up a safety net months ago using government computers to prevent Internet disruptions for those infected users. But that system is to be shut down.

and a link direct to the site to verify if you are infected or not http://www.dcwg.org/detect/

"The average user would open up Internet Explorer and get `page not found' and think the Internet is broken"

The average user? That's a stretch... Perhaps the average FBI agent, the same people who are paying someone $87,000 to run a couple of DNS servers for a few months.

Edited by bobl

"The average user would open up Internet Explorer and get `page not found' and think the Internet is broken"

The average user? That's a stretch... Perhaps the average FBI agent, the same people who are paying someone $87,000 to run a couple of DNS servers for a few months.

Surley it's not all broken ... just a bit.

This turned off antivirus updates and changed the way the computers reconcile website addresses behind the scenes on the Internet’s domain name system

A few people here on TV have mentioned their automatic updates were automatically turned off recently

The average user would open up Internet Explorer and get ‘page not found’ and think the Internet is broken

Plenty of people out there who do not have the sense to not use IE.

Also, no shortage of people who use computers daily but freak out when they have to use anything beyond the IE browser and their word processor. These are ones that are ripe for the picking.

I don't know if this has anything to do with the topic at hand, but a few weeks ago I noticed that the DNS servers I designated were no longer in my set IP4 properties (Win7). I tried to re-set them a few times and network services would crash. I cured it by uninstalling/reinstalling Windows networking.

Edited by bendejo

You need to check YOUR COMPUTERS as this isn’t a hoax

Hundreds of thousands may lose internet in July.

I suggest you take the 'check test' by going to the Oz Government site.

http://dns-ok.gov.au/information.html

Check out the Yahoo site below as well for some more background.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/tech-news/a/-/technology/13487703/hundreds-of-thousands-to-lose-internet-in-july

What is DNSChanger?

DNS Changer is a class of malicious software (malware) that changes a user's Domain Name System (DNS) settings, enabling criminals to direct unsuspecting internet users to fraudulent websites and otherwise interfere with their web browsing. It has been associated with 'click fraud', the installation of additional malware and other malicious activities.

In November 2011, the FBI closed down a ring of cyber-criminals believed to be responsible for the worldwide spread of DNS Changer.

An estimated four million users were affected worldwide. To avoid these victims losing their internet service, the FBI worked with the Internet Systems Consortium (ISC) to set up and operate a temporary but correct DNS solution, while giving ISPs the opportunity to assist their customers to remove their potential infection.

This temporary solution is expected to be switched off as early as 9 July 2012. It is likely that users infected by DNS Changer will be unable to connect to the internet when the temporary DNS solution is switched off

TO CHECK YOUR IP ADDRESS AND CHECK FOR A PROBLEM MENTIONED.

GO TO SITE BELOW.

http://dns-ok.gov.au/information.html

Interesting tip off

and will need monitoring from time to time.

Thanks

WARNING Confirmed by Hoax Slayer as Genuine.

Confirmed by Hoax Slayer.

The May 2012 (1st Edition) issue of the Hoax-Slayer Newsletter is now available

online. To read the new issue, please click the link below:

Link re Thousands to loose internet confirmed.

Yep, the FBI are going to stop running servers that they have been running. I still don’t know why they were running them in the first place. Much better to redirect all these requests to a server saying “you have a virus. Get it fixed”. As it is, 1000’s of people are totally oblivious, and will find out when they just get turned off. Which was the event they were designed to prevent?!??