What Is An Ex-patriate (ex-pat)?

Gumballl

I have read many TV posts where the term "ex-pat" is used. It always seemed to me that an ex-pat is a person who totally gives up (denounces?) their country of citizenship, and would prefer never to return to such country (for whatever reasons).

Does this apply to the ex-pats that I hear about on TV? Or is the ex-pat term merely used as a descriptor for those person living in Thailand (i.e. not visiting as a tourist)?

I hear that it is very difficult, if not near impossible, to become a Thai citizen if you are a farang. Therefore, for those who have not attained Thai citizenship, you must still deal with your country of citizenship (for renewed passports and other docs) in some way or form, right? Therefore, do you still think of yourself as an ex-pat?

Cool... then I am an ex-pat. I was born in Iceland, but now I live in the US, with US citizenship. By the way, I also looked up the word "native" from your source... a native is "a person born in a specified place".

Anyhow, Morden, not quite the response I was looking for, but Merry Xmas anyhow.

Edited by Gumballl

I have read many TV posts where the term "ex-pat" is used.  It always seemed to me that an ex-pat is a person who totally gives up (denounces?) their country of citizenship, and would prefer never to return to such country (for whatever reasons).

Does this apply to the ex-pats that I hear about on TV?  Or is the ex-pat term merely used as a descriptor for those person living in Thailand (i.e. not visiting as a tourist)?

I hear that it is very difficult, if not near impossible, to become a Thai citizen if you are a farang.  Therefore, for those who have not attained Thai citizenship, you must still deal with your country of citizenship (for renewed passports and other docs) in some way or form, right?  Therefore, do you still think of yourself as an ex-pat?

Are you an Expat???

Theres no easy way of explaining this one but in lifes quest for answers look no further than taking the 'EXPAT TEST!' :o

The more points you attain the better.....

For each question choose (truthfully) only one answer that applies to you....

Stage one - Length of Stay, travel and documentation.

How many times have you visited thailand previously?

Never - 0

1 - 5 times - 1

6 - 10 times - 2

10 times + - 3

What plane ticket did you arrive in the country on?

A closed Return ticket - 0

An 6 month open return - 1.5

A one-way all or nothing ticket! - 2

What visa is currently stamped in your passport?

A tourist visa - 0

A double entry tourist visa - 1

A single entry visa non-imm 'o' - 2

A multi entry visa non-imm 'o' - 3

non-imm 'b' (business visa) - 4

Retirement visa! - 6

I don't need a visa stamp! I hold a thai passport/citizenship! - 15

Stage 2 - Country specific questions...

What driving license do you hold?

None - 0

UK driving license (bike or car) - 1

Thai driving license (car) - 3

Thai driving license (bike and car) - 4

How much thai language can you speak?

Nothing apart from very rudimentary basic bargirl thai phrases! - 0

Basic phrases and numbers - 0.5

Colloquial thai - 2

Advanced thai (hold a good conversation) - 3

Fluent/Native speaker thai (and writing) - 5

What line of work are you involved in?

Nothing at all! - 1 ( 2 If Retired)

Teacher / Divemaster (Recreational) - 2

Dive Instructor / Bar Manager - 3

Company / Office - 4

Offshore work - 4.5

Offshore work in thailand (Rigs etc) - 5

If you are working do you hold a work permit?

No - 0 You cheeky monkey!

Yes - 3

What is your accommodation?

Hotel - 0

Guesthouse - 1

Renting a House - 2

Ownership of a house (via a company) - 3

Ownership of house (via a thai) - 3.5

What vehicles do you have?

Nothing - 0

Bicycle - 0.5

Motorbike (Rental) - 1

Motorbike (owned in thai name without access to papers) - 1.5

Motorbike (owned in thai name with papers) - 2.5

Motorbike (owned in your name with papers) - 3

Car (owned in thai name without access to papers) - 3

Car (owned in thai name with access papers) - 4

Car (owned in your name with papers) - 5

What finances support your living while in thailand?

Cash in the bank - 1

Cash in the bank + income from pension / assets - 2

Cash in the bank + income from work - 3

Cash in the bank + income from pension / assets and income from work - 4

I so much cash i never have worry about other sources of income!! - 10

This concludes the EXPAT TEST! Please sign your test sheets accordingly and pass them to an invigilator for marking.

Well lets see how you've done

SCORES -

2 - 8 Fail! The results seem to indicate you are a tourist! Enjoy you're stay! F-

9 - 15 Fail! This result seems to show you have some roots here in thailand but you still need some effort to get towards the next step in expatdom! D+

16 - 23 Border-line Pass! This score indicates you are either an expat / Semi Expat, based here in thailand for short to long durations at time. You can consider this score yourself an 'Honoury Expat'. Look out for deserving expat-wannabes! They need your help in passing the test! B-

24 + Pass! WELL DONE! You have passed the Expat Test with flying colours! Thailand is yours for the taking! Just take care out there on your adventures! A+

Edited by JimsKnight

I disagree with your test.

I might have visited 3 times per year for the last 25 years, this just makes me a wealthly tourist (or a boring tourist because I just go to the same old place, time after time after time) On the other hand it could still be my first visit, but one that has lasted for 25 years...

No relevence whatsoever.

Why would a multiple entry have any more relevance than a single entry?

Retirement visa is a reflection of somebody's age, and nothing more.

If they have a Thai passport, then I believe they have passed from being an expat to being an immigrant.

Dring license

irrevelent.

Thai language ability

irrelevant, the 3 times per year for 25 years guy may speak fluent Thai.

Work

One minute a retiree scores high points the next is low... And a bar manager owner higher than a teacher...

Thai language ability

irrelevant, the 3 times per year for 25 years guy may speak fluent Thai.

Accommodation, vehicle and finances

irrelevant

Edited by TizMe

I am turning 29 in January and have lived in 7 countries:

- Born in Istanbul, Turkey, and lived there for 3 years

- 1 year in Wilhelmshaven, Germany

- 3.5 years in Bahia Blanca, Argentina

- 1.5 year in St Niklaas, Belgium

- 6.5 years in Goes, Holland

- 3 years in Dordrecht, Holland

- 1 year in Pattaya, Thailand

- 2 years in Roermond, Holland

- 1 year in Maastricht, Holland

- 0.5 year in Salamanca, Spain

- 2 years in Lanaken, Belgium

- 2.5 years in Valencia, Spain

- 0.5 year in Pattaya, Thailand, and counting...

So, I was born in Turkey but hardly lived there.

I have a Dutch passport, but don't feel Dutch (nor Turkish, nor any other nationality) at all. For me it's just a handy travel document.

Instead of being called an expat, I prefer a term such as globetrotter or world citizen.

I have read many TV posts where the term "ex-pat" is used.  It always seemed to me that an ex-pat is a person who totally gives up (denounces?) their country of citizenship, and would prefer never to return to such country (for whatever reasons).

Does this apply to the ex-pats that I hear about on TV?  Or is the ex-pat term merely used as a descriptor for those person living in Thailand (i.e. not visiting as a tourist)?

I hear that it is very difficult, if not near impossible, to become a Thai citizen if you are a farang.  Therefore, for those who have not attained Thai citizenship, you must still deal with your country of citizenship (for renewed passports and other docs) in some way or form, right?  Therefore, do you still think of yourself as an ex-pat?

Its a secret if you dont know then you cant join our club.

I am turning 29 in January and have lived in 7 countries:

- Born in Istanbul, Turkey, and lived there for 3 years

- 1 year in Wilhelmshaven, Germany

- 3.5 years in Bahia Blanca, Argentina

- 1.5 year in St Niklaas, Belgium

- 6.5 years in Goes, Holland

- 3 years in Dordrecht, Holland

- 1 year in Pattaya, Thailand

- 2 years in Roermond, Holland

- 1 year in Maastricht, Holland

- 0.5 year in Salamanca, Spain

- 2 years in Lanaken, Belgium

- 2.5 years in Valencia, Spain

- 0.5 year in Pattaya, Thailand, and counting...

So, I was born in Turkey but hardly lived there.

I have a Dutch passport, but don't feel Dutch (nor Turkish, nor any other nationality) at all. For me it's just a handy travel document.

Instead of being called an expat, I prefer a term such as globetrotter or world citizen.

'Of No Fixed Abode', 'Nomad' or 'On the Run' would fit... :o

Ex-pat would be someone living and gainfully working in a country not of their nationality. The person has gone there or been relocated for the purpose of employment. Usually for a temporary period i.e. hasn't emigrated / retired there, but period may often extend indefinately.

How many times you go home or whether you speak the language or not or have a drivers licence is irrelevant.

I scored a 40. I guess that makes me an expat for sure hey!.

No relevence whatsoever.

I buy round trip tickets originating in thailand, of course this is relevant.

Driving license

irrevelent

If you have a non immigrant visa and not just a tourist slob visa then you are required to have a thai drivers license if you intend to drive yourself around.

Accommodation, vehicle and finances

irrelevant

Again these are very relevant to your level of commitment to being an expat and not some pathetic brokedick english-teacher/sex-tourist slob whose first language isn't even english.

Some negative numbers could also apply to the so called "bonehead" expat who has been staying in thailand on back to back 30 day visas for years. :D:o

Edited by kasi

A lot of Americans seem to think the term is spelled 'ex-patriot;' meaning one who used to be a patriot, but has now left the country and is no longer.

In English, the term is 'expatriate'.

It does not surprise me to learn that some Americans no longer hold their country in high regard, as that state of mind applies to many nationalities.

However, there is little excuse for illiteracy... :o

Are you an Expat???

Theres no easy way of explaining this one but in lifes quest for answers look no further than taking the 'EXPAT TEST!' :o

The more points you attain the better.....

For each question choose (truthfully) only one answer that applies to you....

Stage one - Length of Stay, travel and documentation.

Never - 0

1 - 5 times - 1

6 - 10 times - 2

10 times + - 3

A closed Return ticket - 0

An 6 month open return - 1.5

A one-way all or nothing ticket! - 2

A tourist visa - 0

A double entry tourist visa - 1

A single entry visa non-imm 'o' - 2

A multi entry visa non-imm 'o' - 3

non-imm 'b' (business visa) - 4

Retirement visa! - 6

I don't need a visa stamp! I hold a thai passport/citizenship! - 15

Stage 2 - Country specific questions...

What driving license do you hold?

None - 0

UK driving license (bike or car) - 1

Thai driving license (car) - 3

Thai driving license (bike and car) - 4

How much thai language can you speak?

Nothing apart from very rudimentary basic bargirl thai phrases! - 0

Basic phrases and numbers - 0.5

Colloquial thai - 2

Advanced thai (hold a good conversation) - 3

Fluent/Native speaker thai (and writing) - 5

What line of work are you involved in?

Nothing at all! - 1 ( 2 If Retired)

Teacher / Divemaster (Recreational) - 2

Dive Instructor / Bar Manager - 3

Company / Office - 4

Offshore work - 4.5

Offshore work in thailand (Rigs etc) - 5

If you are working do you hold a work permit?

No - 0 You cheeky monkey!

Yes - 3

What is your accommodation?

Hotel - 0

Guesthouse - 1

Renting a House - 2

Ownership of a house (via a company) - 3

Ownership of house (via a thai) - 3.5

What vehicles do you have?

Nothing - 0

Bicycle - 0.5

Motorbike (Rental) - 1

Motorbike (owned in thai name without access to papers) - 1.5

Motorbike (owned in thai name with papers) - 2.5

Motorbike (owned in your name with papers) - 3

Car (owned in thai name without access to papers) - 3

Car (owned in thai name with access papers) - 4

Car (owned in your name with papers) - 5

What finances support your living while in thailand?

Cash in the bank - 1

Cash in the bank + income from pension / assets - 2

Cash in the bank + income from work - 3

Cash in the bank + income from pension / assets and income from work - 4

I so much cash i never have worry about other sources of income!! - 10

This concludes the EXPAT TEST! Please sign your test sheets accordingly and pass them to an invigilator for marking.

Well lets see how you've done

SCORES -

2 - 8 Fail! The results seem to indicate you are a tourist! Enjoy you're stay! F-

9 - 15 Fail! This result seems to show you have some roots here in thailand but you still need some effort to get towards the next step in expatdom! D+

16 - 23 Border-line Pass! This score indicates you are either an expat / Semi Expat, based here in thailand for short to long durations at time. You can consider this score yourself an 'Honoury Expat'. Look out for deserving expat-wannabes! They need your help in passing the test! B-

24 + Pass! WELL DONE! You have passed the Expat Test with flying colours! Thailand is yours for the taking! Just take care out there on your adventures! A+

So if Bill Gates decided he wanted to retire in Thailand, looks like he wouldn't have a problem being considered a Thailand Expat according to your test.

What a bunch of ballocks...What does multiple entry visa have to do with being an expat? Someone who wants to leave Thailand many times a year for holiday or home-visit wouldn't get more expat points, let alone be considered an expat IMO...

The image that always came to my mind (even before I came to Thailand) of what an expat in Thailand would look like was most likely a vietnam war vet who overstayed his R and R by 25 years minimum. Everything else never quite fit the term. Missionaries are missionaries, tourists are tourists, convicts are convicts, business men/women are just that. But an expat...well I think the time limit is relevent. If you've been here long enough on continuous visas to qualify for permenent residence (not citizenship) then, you got my vote as an expat.

So I wouldn't consider myself an expat in that sense, though I most definetly am a resident paying taxes.

Some negative numbers could also apply to the so called "bonehead" expat who has been staying in thailand on back to back 30 day visas for years. :D  :o

This statement is contradictory, in your own words they are a "bonehead" expat, but then you are trying to say that tey don't qualify to be called expats...

Its quite simple really,

An expat is anyone who has taken up residence in a foreign country.

It doesn't matter what type of visa you have,

it doesn't matter what type of accommodation you live in,

it doesn't matter whether you have a driving license,

it doesn't matter if you wear green underwear on every third Tuesday of the month,

it doesn't matter if you work or not, it doesn't matter if you pay taxes or not.

If you live in one country, (not just visit), but only have citizenship of another country, then you are an expatriot.

Edited by TizMe

Its quite simple really,

Not quite that simple - I've resided in Thailand for over 10 years on contiimuos visas with worl permits and drivers license etc. My family is Thai and I don't consider myself to be an expat. I consider an expat being some guy who has been sent over or asked to come over keeping the same job or with the same company, usually getting lots of money to do it.

:o

expatriate

• noun /ekspatrit/ a person who lives outside their native country.

• adjective living outside one’s native country.

• verb /ekspatriayt/ settle abroad.

— DERIVATIVES expatriation noun.

— ORIGIN Latin expatriare, from patria ‘native country’.

Given the above definition, and especially the Latin origin, it seems that the key word in the definition is native country. In which case you could emigrate to another country, obtain citizenship, and still be an expatriate by the fact that you are no longer living in the country of your origin.

I guess I've been an expat all my life (except for a few years here and there) and didn't even know it!! :D

But I always considered myself to be an eathling! :o

A lot of Americans seem to think the term is spelled 'ex-patriot;' meaning one who used to be a patriot, but has now left the country and is no longer.

I am suprised they dont think its something to do with missiles? :o

One of my jobs I worked when I was a soldier was Patriot Missile System Repairer.

Now that I don't do that job anymore I suppose I qualify as an expat.

:D

Its quite simple really,

Not quite that simple - I've resided in Thailand for over 10 years on contiimuos visas with worl permits and drivers license etc. My family is Thai and I don't consider myself to be an expat. I consider an expat being some guy who has been sent over or asked to come over keeping the same job or with the same company, usually getting lots of money to do it.

That's interesting... I've always felt that the most critical part of expatriatehood is the voluntary leaving of your home country to take up residence in another country. In other words, leaving not because you are being paid handsomely to do so, but because you want to do it so much you're willing to forgo compensation indefinitely. When I think of what "expatriate" means, I think of Ernest Hemingway, Ezra Pound, and Dorothy Parker moving to France in the 1920's to get away from American culture and experience life from the European perspective.

EDIT: another definition (from bartleby.com) is one who was "excluded from or self-exiled from" their native country...

Edited by jing jing

Reading some of the comments of members of Thai Visa forum helps to remind me why I left the USA to become an expat.

Whenever I feel like I want to return I just log onto Thai Visa and read comments of some of the different types of personalities that I normally avoid and the feeling goes away.

I know those personalities probably wouldn't like me either but I really don't care.

expatriate

— ORIGIN Latin expatriare, from patria ‘native country’.

Given the above definition, and especially the Latin origin, it seems that the key word in the definition is native country.  In which case you could emigrate to another country, obtain citizenship, and still be an expatriate by the fact that you are no longer living in the country of your origin.

Very good test Jimsknight but I wouldn't call a retiree an expat - just someone who has retired abroad.

The correct unabbreviated latin word is ExPatria ... EX = OUT OF PATRIA = COUNTRY. Thus, the abbreviated term is EXPAT in colloquial terminology

If I remember my highschool Latin studies correctly, 'native land' and 'country' wouldn't be the most precise definition of Patria. Patria roots are, if I'm not mistaken, from two words "Pater" (masculine=father) and "terra" (feminine=land) and so the precise definition would be fatherland (feminine noun because of land)

So in that sense, My father('s)land is USA. I left that land and came to my mother('s) land 'terra mater' matria, then yes I'm expat in that case. (I came out of the father land and came to the motherland :o:D )

Reading some of the comments of members of Thai Visa forum helps to remind me why I left the USA to become an expat.

Whenever I feel like I want to return I just log onto Thai Visa and read comments of some of the different types of personalities that I normally avoid and the feeling goes away.

I know those personalities probably wouldn't like me either but I really don't care.

It seems to me that you've got this backward. Most of 'em are HERE afterall. Makes me want to go back to Wichita Falls where the sophisticated people are.......

It seems to me that you've got this backward. Most of 'em are HERE afterall. Makes me want to go back to Wichita Falls where the sophisticated people are.......

Do you need a map to the airport?

Got that right Hand! :o