Prescription Glasses

kirkieb

Am in Udon Thani looking to replace my prescription glasses and there are many optometrists but can anyone recommend a good and fast service that is not waiting for the farang to arrive to rip me off

Any ideas anybody

That is pretty expensive. Even here in Finland (one of the most expensive places to live) they will throw in a pair of sunglasses with your prescription for that price.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Sorry but not expensive - have you ever been to Thailand ?

Edited by canopus1969

That is pretty expensive. Even here in Finland (one of the most expensive places to live) they will throw in a pair of sunglasses with your prescription for that price.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Sorry but not expensive - have you ever been to Thailand ?

Maybe glasses are subsidized in Finland. It depends on what frames, prescription and type of lens you want.

In Buriram province, you often see the "eye glass" truck going village to village and neighborhood to neighborhood. Last week one of these trucks set up a tent, tables and had a proper eye testing machine, same type of eye testing machine one sees in the chain eyeglass shops at a mall, and was selling prescription eye glasses, lens and frames, starting for 300 baht a pair. I know since I bought such a pair for my sister in law and a slightly more expensive pair of prescription eye glasses for my wife. Maybe no "free cleaning" unless we see the same truck again, but we have his "business card' and he did a brisk business for two days testing eyes and selling eye glasses in the "parking lot" of the local post office. I'm guessing most Thai people of limited means would not be buying eyeglasses at a chain store where uniformed young women push designer brand frames. 300 baht a pair including the test is an actual price in April 2012. In Thailand the sensible stores and eye glass trucks, will sell you and install the lens only if you have the existing frames that will accommodate the prescription lens they carry in stock.

In the above post "install the lens only " was referring to the low cost service of using your existing frames for new lenses.

I also wish to be 100% clear that 300 baht is the total price for the "free eye test", the correct prescription lens, AND the low end frame. 300 baht total.

In a completely different transaction, I also had some existing frames from Costco in America, where a local non chain, eye glass shop for a modest fee, well under 800 baht, did new eye tests, and then sold and installed new prescription lenses into my existing Costco Italian frames. My wife assures me that the "eye glass truck" man can also test my eyes and install new prescription lenses into existing eye glass frames that I currently own, where the prescription might have changed as vision changes.