How Difficult Is It To Import A Shotgun Into Thailand?

inquisitive

I've been asked by a buddy to find out what is necessary to import a shotgun into Thailand from the US. This fellow also has a carry permit for a pistol back in the States and was wondering what permissions might be needed for importing a pistol as well. He'll be staying under a retirement visa, though he is thinking of marrying his Thai girlfriend which could end up with him having actual citizenship. Either way he's expecting to be staying here for a long time and thought he'd feel more comfortable upcountry if he felt he had some greater defense than a cup of hot coffee. Anyone know what's involved with the imports? Is it a matter of filling out forms or is it a big deal? Thanks.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is it with Americans and guns?

Because we can. Much more fun than a brolly and occasionally useful tools, eg killing redcoats.

To the OP - he'll need to get his documentation in order, probably a good idea to get to know other farang gun owners here to scope out the "informal lay of the land" as well, before attempting to import. Most likely will attract less attention if shipped in via DHL as opposed to in person. Note there will be import duties as well.

Cheap functional arms are better purchased here, but anything fancy will be very very dear, probably worth the expense and hassle of importing.

PS not nearly as needed for home security here as back stateside.

• Like 2

Because we can. Much more fun than a brolly and occasionally useful tools, eg killing redcoats.

AK47 (Chinese made) with a half dozen full clips is 5K tourist rates. 8K for a Russian made (local rate) and you might only get 2-3 clips. 'Twas the night before xmas, I had a gun under my pillow.

Its always a friend that has these questions isn't it.

Nope. Sometimes it's a jerk that I hate, but for those guys I don't bother asking. But I bet you're so smart you alread figured that out and just wanted to appear clever to your friends by posting such a pointless and unhelpful statement. eh? Don't you just feel the fool now?

I've looked into this as well as I was moving back to Thailand and I was interested in getting a shotgun in Thailand myself (or even a handgun). Importing a gun is not going to work. Now if you're talking about purchasing it directly, you won't be able to do it as a foreigner. Prices are also expensive as per my conversation with people I know unless you're a military man which will give a huge discount (yea I know). Of course if you MUST have one, there is the route of the wife or friend but I wouldn't do that unless you're in imminent danger or sort ;)

My friend dad used to carry a glock around when he was in bkk but he was someone with connections. I guess for peons like us we just work toward PR/citizenship and get it legally ;)

It's not impossible for your pal to get a licence. difficult, yes.

If he is married the wife can get one easily.

With the licence in hand you would be able to import, though you would probabaly need a local gun dealer to do this for you.

Something like 200% duty and 40% vat I think...it will be very expensive.

You can get a mossberg pump for about 30k and a 9mm for around 70k, trying to bring in your own is not going to be cheaper than that.

I understand the laws have relaxed due to a unilateral agreement. One piece carefully concealed in hand luggage. No documentation required. thumbsup.gif

that concealed piece will give you unconcealed handcuffs.

• Like 2

With the licence in hand you would be able to import, though you would probabaly need a local gun dealer to do this for you.

You can get a mossberg pump for about 30k and a 9mm for around 70k, trying to bring in your own is not going to be cheaper than that.

its not "very" expensive if you just need to have a gun in the house for safety

(just get your thai wife to put it in her name )

i know a few ex-pats with guns who did it this way ,but personally ,i dont want one in my house

if i need to kill a burger ,well ,theres more than one way to skin a cat :D

i know a few ex-pats with guns who did it this way ,but personally ,i dont want one in my house

if i need to kill a burger ,well ,theres more than one way to skin a cat biggrin.png

It is relatively "very expensive", paying $1000 for a $300 shotgun is expensive, until you look at the price of ammunition and then you will probably faint..

if i need to kill a burger ,well ,theres more than one way to skin a cat biggrin.png

It is relatively "very expensive", paying $1000 for a $300 shotgun is expensive, until you look at the price of ammunition and then you will probably faint..

would a small snub nosed revolver not be enough ,just for the sake of having a gun in the house for protection ?

is a shotgun really necessary to blast a burglar in the close quarters of your bedroom or kitchen ? :)

• Like 1

would a small snub nosed revolver not be enough ,just for the sake of having a gun in the house for protection ?

is a shotgun really necessary to blast a burglar in the close quarters of your bedroom or kitchen ? smile.png

Cheap China revolver is probabaly gonna run 30k as well.

Shotgun vs pistol for home defense is a contentious point.

More skill required with a snubnose, and less range. Good if he is 10 ft away, not so good if he is 30 ft away.

Shotgun gives you range and a degree of flexibility in aiming but can be unwieldy inside the house, not for everybody.

Personally, I prefer both. If it had to be only one, I would choose a taurus judge revolver. Shoots both .45 and .410 shotgun shells.

is a shotgun really necessary to blast a burglar in the close quarters of your bedroom or kitchen ? smile.png

More skill required with a snubnose, and less range. Good if he is 10 ft away, not so good if he is 30 ft away.

Shotgun gives you range and a degree of flexibility in aiming but can be unwieldy inside the house, not for everybody.

Personally, I prefer both. If it had to be only one, I would choose a taurus judge revolver. Shoots both .45 and .410 shotgun shells.

more skill to hit someone with a smaller bullet ,but also more opportunities to fire (unless the shotgun is a pump action )

if i had the choice ,i would probably choose a semi auto (dont like revolvers much ) but probably more shots than necessary anyway to kill a burglar

He'll be staying under a retirement visa, though he is thinking of marrying his Thai girlfriend which could end up with him having actual citizenship

Ha ha ha , this will be far harder than getting a gun!!!!w00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gif

• Like 1

more skill to hit someone with a smaller bullet ,but also more opportunities to fire (unless the shotgun is a pump action )

if i had the choice ,i would probably choose a semi auto (dont like revolvers much ) but probably more shots than necessary anyway to kill a burglar

Semi vs Revolver, again a contentious point. Shooters will have their preferences and reasons for each.

If it was for a non shooter who wanted something in the drawer just in case I would say revolver.

Easier for a non shooter to understand, almost no maintanance and nothing to go wrong. Can sit there untouched for years and will always go bang when you pull the trigger. Semi auto much more complicated, much less certain.

get a shotgun........one of the most distintive sounds is some rackking(using the slide to put one in the chamber) a shotgun...most of the time that sound alone will get them running and telling all the lowlife friends about it...

Edited by joey88tc
  • Like 1

He'll be staying under a retirement visa, though he is thinking of marrying his Thai girlfriend which could end up with him having actual citizenship

Ha ha ha , this will be far harder than getting a gun!!!!w00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gif

I also thought this was the funniest line of the post.

In which case, the OP's 'mate' will gave a much easier time getting his gun in, as well as his imported vehicle.

get a shotgun........one of the most distintive sounds is some rackking(using the slide to put one in the chamber) a shotgun...most of the time that sound alone will get them running and telling all the lowlife friends about it...

its easier to take a shot gun or a rifle off someone at close range than a handgun ,shot gun wil be fine for a man to use

but it might be a bit much for a lady

i think modern semi autos are the way to go,i dont think they are unreliable but of course a revolver is more simple ,id get one (semi-auto) with a silencer so i could shoot the burglar without waking up everybody

What is it with Americans and guns?

They have very small penises

Would we be amiss to conclude that you have had enough personal experience with penises from various nationalities to consider yourself an expert? I'd hate to think you were just being a <deleted> and posting inflammatory statements just to make up for something lacking.

Sounds like someone touched a raw nerve.