Alert: North Thailand Warned Of Heavy Rain And Flash Flooding

george

Is it rain/heavy rain in your (North Thailand) area now?  

195 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Prepare for early flooding? ... I remember one of the ministers claiming there will be no floods this year... What was that again???...

I think he meant no flooding due to poor water management.

Besides, the government can't even tell when prices are rising let alone water levels.

120 km Northeast of Udon Thani, east of Ban Dung we just had a biblical rainstorm from 5:00pm untill 7:00pm. Now tapered off to a light rainfall.

I don't think the government caused it.

Ken

Prepare for early flooding? ... I remember one of the ministers claiming there will be no floods this year... What was that again???...

Not the same. This is run-off from the water coming down the mountain.

So, when there is a huge accumulation of water, be it rain or run-off from the hills, just what will you call it ? Maybe you have a new word for it, but I'd say it was ' flooding '...

What is happening here? Even if we get a spell of bad weather blame the government? Can't you guys at least try and be a bit more positive?

It's much, much too difficult for them.

After all it is the tropics and the onset of the rainy season..............

Half of them probably have soluble tin hats..........

• Like 1

How can you people turn acts of nature into political issues?

Earthquakes, tornadoes, rain, droughts happen all around the world.

It does not really matter how wealthy or poor the nation is, - it is difficult to stop.

Look at the USA and what happens to New Orleans, - Australia's massive flooding, Japan's Tsunami etc etc.

The fact is, the world's weather conditions are slowly becoming more severe.

No one should point the finger at politicians.

Yes, they make BS claims that it will not happen again. But we all know they are powerless.

Politicians talk Sh....t all over the world. Thailand is no different.

I think that nature always proves she is the real big boss.

On the positive side, let's hope that the rain brings relief to the farmers and the crops are good this year.

How about that?

• Like 2

In Bangkok, so not really target area for the poll of rain in the North of Thailand.

Still, lightning and thunder started, waiting for the rain to sweep away the dust wai.gif

Darn it. I just got everything moved back downstairs after the last flood. Now I am getting all nervous again!

I hope everyone in the affected areas stays safe.

• Like 1

Not one of the ministers, the PRIME MINISTER! And it was a promise! cheesy.gif

No, not only the prime minister, I remember another disaster minister"expert" a few weeks ago, stating that fact, as it was also published in this forum not too long ago...

Those highso imbeciles have no dignity for public human political relationship consent, as they continue to enjoy themselves with the population's tax money and foreigner's Visa tax expenses, while the rest of the population are the screwed ones in this corrupt cycle.

Please provide the source.

This is just a guess PhiPhiDon, but I'm betting your a big Obama supporter. Yes?

People in the risk areas should beware of potential flooding during May 7 to 9.

No problem! Speed boats and Turbo Rikschas will push the water away smoothly........ wai.gif

Before this rumour gets out of hand and is repeated as the truth this is what she actually said

The Thai premier said she had ordered the establishment of schemes to help companies get back on their feet from the disaster that knocked businesses sideways last year.

"I have reaffirmed to the Japanese government and business leaders that the Royal Thai government is committed to ensuring that the devastation caused by such disasters will never happen again," she told reporters in Tokyo during a joint press conference with her Japanese opposite number.

http://www.terradail..._chaos_999.html

which is NOT "claiming there will be no floods this year".

Excuse me, but aren't the "devastating disasters" quoted in the above piece..."floods"?

Q.E.D. devastating disasters(DD) = Floods. This means she said there will be no more DD (floods) any more! coffee1.gif

Try reading the sentence again which was

the Royal Thai government is committed to ensuring that the devastation caused by such disasters will never happen again

the devastation referred to (in this particular case as she is speaking to the Japanese government and business leaders) is the flooding at various industrial estates and damage caused

the disaster referred to is the unprecedented amount of rainfall and subsequent flooding

If you need any more help with the comprehension of the english language and how it is constructed please do not hesitate to ask........coffee1.gif

That is exactly what I was going to say. umm guess he doesn't consult the weather people and just relies on the pains in his joints, no pain no rain all is good.

... the political ramifications to more flooding could be significant.

... the Reds' rank and file are already making noises about their lack of a voice with Phue Thai and the lack of help by the Phue Thai to the poor ... more floods, after all the empty, absolutely inane promises by the Toxin government?

... [incidentally, reading these unbelieveable claims about how there will be no more flooding is quite revealing of the level of absolute intellectual bankruptcy of either (i) the politicians making such claims; or (ii) the constituents to whom they are making these claims.]

... Toxin has given the poor a voice, thinking he could control them as in the past, when patronage system politics controlled them ... these new constituents seem to be developing a political conscience and ideology which rises above the local kamnans, who are paid to coerce/bribe their neighbors in how to vote.

... these guys now appear to recognize in Phue Thai's leadership the same dynamic that has forever infected Thai political corruption ... bribe or trick the illiterate poor into voting them into office, corruptly steal whatever they can from the taxpayers, share it with their family and group, ignore the constituents, who are bought off through the patronage system.

... seems the poor are now getting a good long view of that ... with everything else going on (inflation, threatening collapse of Thai rice industry, free notebooks to students, etc.) another round of flooding could be a death nell for Phue Thai.

... the next Thai politician to pick-up the mantle of the poor might well be a true, ideologically driven Thai politican ... a first.

... no different that the Arab Spring, change is coming to Thailand ... hope it is not so violent.

Edited by swillowbee
  • Like 2

Before this rumour gets out of hand and is repeated as the truth this is what she actually said

The Thai premier said she had ordered the establishment of schemes to help companies get back on their feet from the disaster that knocked businesses sideways last year.

"I have reaffirmed to the Japanese government and business leaders that the Royal Thai government is committed to ensuring that the devastation caused by such disasters will never happen again," she told reporters in Tokyo during a joint press conference with her Japanese opposite number.

http://www.terradail..._chaos_999.html

which is NOT "claiming there will be no floods this year".

Okayyyyyyyy.....Then if she promised " There would be not Devastation caused by such Disasters will never Happen again...." Just where are they planning to put the water????? "So it Doesn't Happen again"!!

Or on a lighter note from one of the people in the Know..."

No megaflood in Thailand this year: Water committee chair

image_20120425160939E8C35EAD-C96A-56ED-5DB5BC42503C9FAC.jpg

BANGKOK, April 25 - Dr Virabongsa Ramangkura, chairperson of the Strategic Committee for Reconstruction and Future Development (SCRF), said on Wednesday he was confident Thailand will not face a repetition of last year's flood crisis, as the government has been on the right track on water management and flood prevention.

He spoke on the direction of the Thai economy on the occasion of the 60th anniversary of Thai Television and 35th anniversary of MCOT, Thailand's leading broadcasting company.

Dr Virabongsa said the government has invested more than Bt350 billion to improve flood prevention infrastructure. More flood embankments, canals and flood-related structures have been built, which he said would prevent future floods and the public could rest assured of the matter.

He also added if major floods do happen, neither this government nor himself in his position could last long.

Which was he referring to that would take a early Retirement: Him??? or the Government???

To relieve the tention from all parties I think this is what is happening:

"Okay Joe were at 35,000 ftwith a compass heading of 305 degrees,,, at my mark in 20 minues we will dump 4 "liters" of sodium cloride.... Not 4 Drums like you did last year.... Ya know those were 50 gal drums too! If the boss ever finds out were take stuff really went... we'll be Toast! to put it lightly... You think the Chinese will ever leak that they "DID NOT" buy the stuff to deice the airports??

Hey Bob I think we are in trouble again... all they had at the warehouse was Gallons..... "Holy Sh_T! Joe! Let hope no one heard us fly over....

Bullshit!!! She never said that. She just try to promise that she will do something about it.

Bullshit!!! She never said that. She just try to promise that she will do something about it.

No BS, just read this article

Actually, we were all a bit wrong. Here's her comment:

She also assured the Japanese business community that the Thai government would do its best with every effort so that she is confident that the government’s measures guarantee that severe floods will not happen again like last year.

First of all it’s La Niña, - nothing happens as usual! We saw heavy floods in Australia at a very early time in the year, a couple of days ago in Japan and Bangladesh. Maybe the science & technology minister (the expert who could not even run a zoo properly) should prepare his propellers again and knit on a huge umbrella.

The U.S. National Weather Service pronounced the two-year La Nina finished on Thursday.03 May 2012

http://www.wane.com/dpps/weather/us_wx_news/goodbye-la-nina-will-drought-hurricanes-also-go-nt12-jgr_4159239

Actually, we were all a bit wrong. Here's her comment:

She also assured the Japanese business community that the Thai government would do its best with every effort so that she is confident that the government’s measures guarantee that severe floods will not happen again like last year.

http://www.thaivisa....-opportunities/

I beg to differ again - please tell me where in this transcript of her entire speech she says

Answer - she doesn't. The above is what some reporter has written what she said, their version, if you like, of the speech.

This is a fine example to those on this forum who take what the papers and other english language media say as gospel - treat it with an open mind and seek other sources to corroborate if you wish to get somewhere near the truth.

Full speech of Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra in a seminar in Tokyo.

Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Thailand

at an Investment Seminar "Unbeatable Thailand, Unparalleled Opportunities"

7 March 2012

Imperial Hotel, Tokyo

---------------------

Excellencies, Distinguished Guests,

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am honoured to be here in Japan and I would like to thank our friends from the private sector for being here today.

Thailand and Japan are old friends whose economic future is linked to one another. From the establishment of diplomatic relations 125 years ago to the Strategic Partnership with an Economic Partnership Agreement (JTEPA) today, Japan and the private sector have played a key role in Thailand's development. The strong ties between Thailand and Japan will be even more important as the world increasingly look to Asia to be the main driver of sustain global growth.

Japan is Thailand's largest trading partner. Our exports to Japan grew by 8.3 percent last year. You are also Thailand's largest investor. Japanese investments applying for Board of Investment promotion was 49 percent of total FDI last year. Japanese firms are doing more research, development and product design in Thailand. Moreover, the Thai Parliament has approved further negotiations under JTEPA in five areas, including trade, rules of origin, services, investment and implementing JTEPA commitments.

Last year, both Thailand and Japan suffered from the floods. But with your kind support, we have managed to emerge even stronger. Thailand will always be grateful for your help and for the confidence that you have in us.

I am pleased to inform you that, we are in the process of implementing an effective water management system to protect the communities and the important economic and industrial zones.

First, we are currently managing the existing dams by lowering the water level. This will allow the dams to store more water during the peak rainy season.

Second, we have identified natural water retention areas, which will act as another important source of water storage. These areas have direct links to the main rivers to allow for quick release of water after the flooding. In addition, we have already started to enhance the infrastructures system including sluice gates, canals, pumping stations and dykes.

Third, measures to protect the economic zones will include investment in the protective barriers around industrial estates. Roads will be elevated to ensure access for delivery of goods and services; this will ensure that industrial supply chain and logistics will not be disrupted. Furthermore, we are also improving water flow through the canals, in order to drain water quickly into the Gulf of Thailand.

Fourth, a single command center is in place to ensure effective management and timely response. In addition, we are also improving the forecasting and early warning system.

To ensure the success of these plans, around 47 billion yen (18 billion baht) will be spent this year and around 915 billion yen (350 billion baht) will be spent over the next couple of years. In addition, I have also personally visited all the key sites in the plan to gain their support.

In addition to the water management plans, the Government has also initiated several financial packages to assist the Japanese companies affected from the flooding including low interest rates loans to assist in building the flood protection barriers as well as an insurance fund to support those affected.

Despite the floods, our economic fundamentals continue to be strong. We have high level of foreign exchange reserves and a sound fiscal position with low public debt of GDP at around 40 percent. Because of this, the Thai economy is expected to rebound strongly. The forecast for economic growth this year is about 5.5 to 6.5 percent. I would also like to point out that, even with the floods, over 1.1 million Japanese tourists still visited Thailand last year, which is an increase of around 13 percent.

Our Government will continue to implement policies to accommodate foreign investment in Thailand. The corporate income tax has been reduced from 30 percent to 23 percent this year and will be further reduced to 20 percent next year. Several barriers have been removed to make it easier to set up regional headquarters in Thailand. Furthermore, Thai skilled labour continues to be an important asset for foreign companies.

Thailand is the existing hub for your products to a more connected ASEAN Community. This single market and production base currently comprises over 600 million consumers, a combined GDP of some 143.4 trillion yen and an annual economic growth of some 5 percent.

This Community opens up opportunities in regional growth areas such as transportation, energy, health care, tourism and agriculture. Given Thailand's comparative advantage in some of these areas, we will be able to match the growing dynamism of the ASEAN Community and the growth of Japan's investments in the region.

To support regional connectivity in the GMS and ASEAN, the Government is committed to invest in logistics and transportation network including roads and rails that will link Thailand with our neighbours through the important economic corridors. This will be supported by not only the Master Plan on ASEAN Connectivity but also the ASEAN Plus Three Connectivity Partnership involving China, Japan and the Republic of Korea which Thailand initiated.

One key project that strengthens regional connectivity is the Dawei deep sea port project which is being developed in cooperation with our close neighbours Myanmar. The success of this project, which is promoted by the Myanmar Government, will not only promote growth and development in Myanmar but also enhance Japanese investments in Thailand as well as the region. This will enhance our links with South Asia, East Asia and beyond.

In conclusion, I can reassure you that Thailand remains the best choice for your continued investment. I am confident that with our strong fundamentals, our supportive policies, our natural assets, and based on our mutual interests, the Thailand -Japan partnership will continue to grow, with the Japanese private sector continuing to serve as a key pillar of this partnership for many years to come.

Thank you.

This is a fine example to those on this forum who take what the papers and other english language media say as gospel - treat it with an open mind and seek other sources to corroborate if you wish to get somewhere near the truth.

7 March 2012

Imperial Hotel, Tokyo

---------------------

Ladies and Gentlemen,

........................... bla bla

............................. bla bla

It's nice of you to post the speech she delivered at a Thailand promotion seminar, but you know of course she had more meetings, speeches and press conferences during her visit in Japan.

She stated, for example, in the 'Japan-Thailand Joint Statement on the Strategic Partnership based on the Enduring Bonds of Friendship" the following:

"In addition, Prime Minister Noda appreciated flood prevention measures implemented by the Government of Thailand and also requested that Thailand respond to Japanese enterprises, giving them thoughtful consideration. In response, Prime Minister Yingluck stated that the Government of Thailand wished to assure the Japanese government and Japanese enterprises that such a disaster would not be repeated again and that the Government of Thailand would take financial measures toward prevention."

source (Kantei.go.jp)

In a In a joint press conference with her peer Noda, she also assured the Japanese government that flooding were annoyances of the past!

Eagerly awaiting your response and your reaction on getting near the truth dear Phiphidon!

7 March 2012

Imperial Hotel, Tokyo

---------------------

Ladies and Gentlemen,

It's nice of you to post the speech she delivered at a Thailand promotion seminar, but you know of course she had more meetings, speeches and press conferences during her visit in Japan.

She stated, for example, in the 'Japan-Thailand Joint Statement on the Strategic Partnership based on the Enduring Bonds of Friendship" the following:

"In addition, Prime Minister Noda appreciated flood prevention measures implemented by the Government of Thailand and also requested that Thailand respond to Japanese enterprises, giving them thoughtful consideration. In response, Prime Minister Yingluck stated that the Government of Thailand wished to assure the Japanese government and Japanese enterprises that such a disaster would not be repeated again and that the Government of Thailand would take financial measures toward prevention."

source (Kantei.go.jp)

In a In a joint press conference with her peer Noda, she also assured the Japanese government that flooding were annoyances of the past!

Eagerly awaiting your response and your reaction on getting near the truth dear Phiphidon!

Phipphidon

http://www.kantei.go.jp/foreign/noda/diplomatic/201203/07thailand_overview.html

To help you read the Prime Minister Of Japan and his Cabinet official report, Here is item 3 of the report copied in full (so I am quoting their offical report):

"Regarding the great floods in Thailand, Prime Minister Noda stated that Japan would like to provide full support to Thailand, including the formulation of a Chao Praya River anti-flooding master plan and an 8 billion yen-scale grant planned as part of a joint efforts with Thailand for such matters as the reconstruction of infrastructure in industrial estate and the surrounding areas that were impacted by the flood. Prime Minister Yingluck expressed her gratitude for this. In addition, Prime Minister Noda appreciated flood prevention measures implemented by the Government of Thailand and also requested that Thailand respond to Japanese enterprises, giving them thoughtful consideration. In response, Prime Minister Yingluck stated that the Government of Thailand wished to assure the Japanese government and Japanese enterprises that such a disaster would not be repeated again and that the Government of Thailand would take financial measures toward prevention."

David

Edited by davidstipek

To continue our Cloud Dusters are in cruise mode returning to Udon...\

Which was he referring to that would take a early Retirement: Him??? or the Government???

To relieve the tention from all parties I think this is what is happening:

"Okay Joe were at 35,000 ft with a compass heading of 305 degrees,,, at my mark in 20 minues we will dump 4 "liters" of sodium cloride.... Not 4 Drums like you did last year.... Ya know those were 50 gal drums too! If the boss ever finds out were take stuff really went... we'll be Toast! to put it lightly... You think the Chinese will ever leak that they "DID NOT" buy the stuff to deice the airports??

Hey Bob I think we are in trouble again... all they had at the warehouse was Gallons..... "Holy Sh_T! Joe! Let hope no one heard us fly over....

we listen in on their Conversation as they return to Airport...

Ya Know Joe... I liked the Good Ole Days... when we left Udon and carried cattle for some General I think it was Laos... another time we carried some Bagged Hay??, in America we just baled it. Bob.... Ya, we had trouble landing after that flight! Laughed about it for a week... Today all we have to do is deliver weekly Wine Tasting Samples to Senate Courier at Airport in Bangkok and answer phone to seed clouds when some LADY CALLS... Now she says we are to fly higher so the public can't hear Aircraft... jeeze I miss the Good Ole days..

Edited by davidstipek

7 March 2012

Imperial Hotel, Tokyo

---------------------

Ladies and Gentlemen,

source (Kantei.go.jp)

Phipphidon

http://www.kantei.go...d_overview.html

To help you read the Prime Minister Of Japan and his Cabinet official report, Here is item 3 of the report copied in full (so I am quoting their offical report):

"Regarding the great floods in Thailand, Prime Minister Noda stated that Japan would like to provide full support to Thailand, including the formulation of a Chao Praya River anti-flooding master plan and an 8 billion yen-scale grant planned as part of a joint efforts with Thailand for such matters as the reconstruction of infrastructure in industrial estate and the surrounding areas that were impacted by the flood. Prime Minister Yingluck expressed her gratitude for this. In addition, Prime Minister Noda appreciated flood prevention measures implemented by the Government of Thailand and also requested that Thailand respond to Japanese enterprises, giving them thoughtful consideration. In response, Prime Minister Yingluck stated that the Government of Thailand wished to assure the Japanese government and Japanese enterprises that such a disaster would not be repeated again and that the Government of Thailand would take financial measures toward prevention."

David

Thank you for that - Now can we accept that Yingluck did not promise that there will be no flooding this year, but simply that such a disaster would not be repeated again, i.e that disaster being the results of the floods.

edited to add..............especially when the sentence "such a disaster would not be repeated again" is qualified by the following "and that the Government of Thailand would take financial measures toward prevention." (of that disaster - does this mean that she will give money to nature to not have floods again - of course not so therefore there is only one correct meaning of her statement.

And if you don't accept this, I really do not care...........................

Edited by phiphidon

7 March 2012

Imperial Hotel, Tokyo

---------------------

Ladies and Gentlemen,

source (Kantei.go.jp)

Phipphidon

http://www.kantei.go...d_overview.html

David

Thank you for that - Now can we accept that Yingluck did not promise that there will be no flooding this year, but simply that such a disaster would not be repeated again, i.e that disaster being the results of the floods.

edited to add..............especially when the sentence "such a disaster would not be repeated again" is qualified by the following "and that the Government of Thailand would take financial measures toward prevention." (of that disaster - does this mean that she will give money to nature to not have floods again - of course not so therefore there is only one correct meaning of her statement.

And if you don't accept this, I really do not care...........................

She will pay the rain to go uphill?