Three Killed Falling From Thailand's Highest Building During Billboard Installation

Lite Beer

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Textbook failure to follow the most basic safety procedures. Typical behavior in land of miracle year. Next comes the important figure ordering safety checks of all cables used to support high altitude workers.

RIP - A common thread with tragedies like this is that no business/ company (the employer) is held accountable, so why worry about someones safety? Next, there is also the responsibility of the workers also... have a harness on or inspect the equipment. A small example with workers not "thinking ahead" is seeing workers sawing re-bar (steel rods) with an electric saw or welding steel together and not wearing safety goggles. "NO worry" they say with a smile.

The majority of deaths in falls happen around 3 to 4 feet in height. Think about it 6 feet tall you are 3 feet off the ground then your old pumpkin head is 9 feet above ground.

I stopped worrying about things I cannot control, the individual safety of Thai workers is way beyond me, the death of anyone no matter who or under what circumstance is a shame.

We all understand that health and safety is not a high priority in this country. Three people lost their lives and two others were seriously injured in this incident. I believe it is completely inappropriate for anyone to make stupid or sarcastic comments. I have no idea if this or subsequent accidents will have any effect on the standards of safety in future but my heart goes out to the families of the workers who suffered in this incident. I also hope that compensation is not derisory.

I am sorry for the losses.

However life is cheap in Thailand.

The safety equipments are not cheap, and it could add up considerably.

Maybe that is the reason.

A typical response, I always wear safety harness but did not this time. The fact they all landed at difference levels suggests there was a strong wind blowing.

Your response is nothing more than nonsense itself. Wind has nothing to do with it. All three would have experienced the same wind conditions. It is their individual, and varying, body positions throughout their descent that would dictate where they land.

Let's not require any safety equipment. That would cost too much money and, anyway, workers are so cheap.

How many deaths will it take to make people understand that helmets, safety belts, decent shoes (boots), etc. can save lives. Does anybody care?

Yes people care but you forgot that when you are not on TV you are in a different culture and they have different beliefs than you do,

You are so sure of your beliefs because that was what you grew up with. As well as others around you having beliefs a little different than yours.

The same here in Thailand the big difference is no body around them has other beliefs and yours are as foreign to them as there's are to you. I am sure there will be people who morn for them. But will feel that death is inevitable and let it go in time.

My condolences to the people who cared for them.

Oh,.. so ignorance is fine just as long as you don't know you're ignorant and that you were raised in a culture that engenders ignorance and false beliefs?

This is accident is very sad and whilst equipment can fail anywhere this again falls on the responsibility of the government and the lack of industrial laws and protection. There should be a mechanism in place that forces all companies involved in hi risk work to educate and train workers in essential safety measures.

Yes I understand that This Is Thailand and I understand the cultural MPR sentiment which has its positive side but all of that is no excuse for not starting to take responsibility and to understanding that there are always consequences to action and non-action. That in fact is a fundamental Buddhist principle "cause and effect" and yet it mostly is ignored.

Condolences to the families. Let's hope this serves as a wake up call to all persons involved in such work.

Perhaps it was not the case here, but construction and maintenance workers in less-developed societies often don't wear body harnesses or other safety equipment because it's simply not provided by their employers, who are loath to spend on such "unnecessary" items.

No full body harness? My company requires full fall protection above 6 feet, much less 66 floors.

TIT - as if it needs to be said..

It actually took 7 posts before someone begun to bash thailand as a country in this thread.

Congratz of being the first thai basher of this thread vahack

Yep! We can see you're not a westerner - sorry, farang. You are obviously a Thai with understandable pride in all of Thailand's considerable achievements in the field of safety . . .

I am a westerner, I probably come from one of the safest countries in the world.

If you are from Southern Europe or the US, you got nothing on me, as these places are a total mess when it comes to safety.

One thing is for sure though, you are just another one of these endless thaibasher who have nothing in common with other foreigners except for bashing thai culture.

Edited by ayayay

Mr Ploenjit admitted that none of them wore any protective sling or belt for their safety, although they did every time before working and did not inspect before the operation whether the platform was in good condition or not.

Holy crap!! Seriously.....unbelievable.

I believe it is completely inappropriate for anyone to make stupid or sarcastic comments.

I come from a country with freedom of speech, so I disagree with this statement.

Not forgetting that you are now in Thai Visa...freedom of speech does not exist!!...You must pander to all and sundry...thumbsup.gif

Edited by supaprik

My heart goes out to the families of these workers. But I just can't help to think what they were thinking when it comes to safety, not only their own but for other people below or others that may have witnessed this horrible accident. Thailands safety department is a real joke and always have been. The head of this organization should be fired and it's time to take a lesson from other countries safety division like we have in the usa like OSHA. After working construction for over 30 years I see safety violations on a daily basis here in Bangkok and it's not only at the risk of the workers but for those innocent people walking or driving by below. TIT and it will NEVER change.

• Like 1

And say that it would have been so easy to safe their lives if they had their protective gear on...

Tantalizing as we see so many workers challenging their safety and their lives...

Let's not require any safety equipment. That would cost too much money and, anyway, workers are so cheap.

How many deaths will it take to make people understand that helmets, safety belts, decent shoes (boots), etc. can save lives. Does anybody care?

Decent shoes saves lifes ? Please explain.

Decent shoes saves lifes ? Please explain.

If you were an electrician then 'decent boots' would help.

I objected above about over protective 'health and safety' regulations in the UK. Thinking back 40 years, I was give responsibility for spraying all the roses belonging to the parks and gardens in the town of Bern. If all went well this took up two and a half days every two weeks in season. No protective mask, no protective clothing ('doesn't matter, you just get a headache and puke in the evening'). When I did eventually get a mask there were telephone calls complaining about this guy spraying poison all over town, so they took it away 'to be cleaned' . Not seeing it again, I bought my own and after a few trips I think my boss realised that I was right, and they left me in peace especially after I complained by letter.

Just an anecdote, but it's not so long since Europe was in about the same place as is Thailand now.

Overload Blamed for Skyscraper Accident

BANGKOK: -- Police have blamed excessive load for the collapse of a suspension platform that killed three workers putting up advertisement on Baiyok 2 Tower yesterday afternoon.

Metropolitan Police Deputy Commissioner, Police Major-General Anuchai Lekbumrung, revealed that what actually caused the platform to collapse was the excessive load, not a broken cable.

He noted that investigation is being conducted to confirm the initial finding and determine whether any negligence was involved.

Police are also questioning the advertising company that employed the dead workers and two survivors, before filing charges.

A total of five workers were installing a wallpaper ad on Baiyok 2 tower, Thailand's tallest building, yesterday afternoon when a cable holding the suspension platform was broken, causing three of them, who were standing in the middle, to plunge from the 68th storey to death.

The two survivors managed to cling on to the platform using a grappling hook but were left hanging in the air for nearly half an hour before help arrived.

They sustained minor injuries and is being cared for at Rajavitee Hospital.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2012-05-08

footer_n.gif

Baiyoke Tower II's parted platform caused by excess weight: Police

image_201205081207042AD7F298-EF46-C9FD-A937A767821F1DC4.jpg

BANGKOK, May 8 - The failure of the steel cable or wire rope supporting the platform carrying workers installing advertising banner on the exterior of Thailand's tallest building, Baiyoke Tower II, killing three men, was caused by being overloaded, according to the initial investigation.

Pol Maj-Gen Anuchai Lekbamrung, deputy metropolitan police chief, released the information in response to the deaths of the three workers who fell to their deaths from the 68th floor of the Baiyoke Tower II Monday afternoon. He said the cable supporting the platform parted.

Gen Anuchai said the platform was broken due to carrying five persons, exceeding its weight capacity.

The officer said, however, that more investigation is needed before any charges are filed against anyone. The advertising company and the two survivors will also be questioned.

The men reportedly worked for Q Advertising Co, Ltd.

Gen Anuchai said the owner of the advertising installation company will give a statement and be questioned by the police today.

Surviivor Ploenjit Kongudom earlier said he and another man survived as they grasped a handrail of the platform and called for help from persons inside the building.

The three men who stood in the middle of the platform plunged to their deaths when the accident occurred.

Mr Ploenjit said that none of them wore any protective sling or safety apparatus, and did not inspect the condition of the platform to see whether it was in good condition or not before using it.

Baiyoke Tower II is the tallest building in Thailand, located on Rathaprarob Road in Bangkok. It has 88 floors and reaches with a height of 304 metres. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-05-08

Just this morning in my condo I saw my maid cleaning the outside of my windows... However, she was stood inside on a plastic stool with half of her body outside, reaching as far as she could - Why someone would do this and place themselves at such risk is beyond me.

I asked my wife to ask her not to clean the outside of the windows anymore and explain why its dangerous.

I then read this thread... It is such a shame when a tragedy can so easily be averted with the application of a little common sense (in this case, harness, tethered off correctly as simple fall protection).

I agree with you, though there are those who might say...treating your maid that way is insulting and colonial, do Thais need foreigners telling them how to do their jobs? Especially maid work?

I'm of the opinion that Thais are humans just like anyone else....if they decide to do or to allow this type of nonsense then it is their decision. However, they can then not expect sympathy for these types of disasters, nor can they expect us (westerners) to not question everything they do with regard to safety when it comes to a situation that affects us personally.

They can't have it both ways, but it seems that they expect to.

I have absolutely no sympathy. I see people taking risks here everyday that range from reckless to suicidal.

These were adults who died. It would be racist to ascribe their behaviour to any other factor than they allowed themselves to work in such a reckless manner, endangering people below. This time it went wrong for them. Thanfully no innocent people were injured or killed.

There's no shortage of jobs that provide a good living in Thailand if people work hard. The trouble is workers here rarely pay heed to simple instructions.

Just adding to your statement...

I'm not sure if it's Thai Culture, Buddhism, or a mix of both but Thais view death as fate. These men were meant to die when they did. I think that is why Thais don't heed dangerous activity because if they die, it was meant to be.

It actually took 7 posts before someone begun to bash thailand as a country in this thread.

Congratz of being the first thai basher of this thread vahack

Yep! We can see you're not a westerner - sorry, farang. You are obviously a Thai with understandable pride in all of Thailand's considerable achievements in the field of safety . . .

I am a westerner, I probably come from one of the safest countries in the world.

If you are from Southern Europe or the US, you got nothing on me, as these places are a total mess when it comes to safety.

One thing is for sure though, you are just another one of these endless thaibasher who have nothing in common with other foreigners except for bashing thai culture.

Western what? Western Thailand? A newbie at best.

I am only 80% Thaibasher and not a pure blood, but I strive to be. Thaibashing is a bit of a harsh term, I prefer "venting", "clear thinking", or maybe just a person looking out for common sense. You get the idea. Viewing all the nonsense that happens here MUST generate some comment. I am a victim of my circumstance so I comment with the rest of these horrible Thaibashers. wai.gifcoffee1.gif

Edited by Markaew
  • Like 1

The fact they all landed at difference levels suggests there was a strong wind blowing.

Rubbish!!!

Can anyone explain the landing at different levels? Is the architecture of the building such it is not straight down?

I used to work on radio towers in my youth, 1500 footers, but we always used to say you are just as dead from 100 ft as from 1000 so it doesn't really matter that it was the tallest building around. The lack of precautions during high work was one the first things that struck me when I first came here. It just seems to be a cultural thing, safety is not a high priority throughout the whole society. " up to them".

Safety is not a priority because there is no liability per se and guess who that benefits...not the common man that has little or nothing, but the elite who have plenty to lose, or would have if they were held accountable by liability laws. Nevertheless, the OP is quick to spin the blame onto the victims, God rest their souls. So the victims can be held accountable but the manufacturers of the equipment, especially the cable that snapped, and the building bear no responsibility.

IMO: Excellent statement.

Same thing I was thinking. But even if you could get the laws in place to protect the workers and have liability suits, the courts are so corrupt you could never win in court. The worker has no money to pay anyone off.

Mr Ploenjit admitted that none of them wore any protective sling or belt for their safety, although they did every time before working and did not inspect before the operation whether the platform was in good condition or not.

Holy crap!! Seriously.....unbelievable.

I believe it is completely inappropriate for anyone to make stupid or sarcastic comments.

I come from a country with freedom of speech, so I disagree with this statement.

You only think you come from a country of free speech. Take out ads in the major newspapers saying Obama is a pedophile and see how free it is. It will maybe get you free room and board.

Even if it is free speech it is still inappropriate to make sarcastic remarks about the ones who die in a accident,

I may get deleted for being off topic but....

I disagree with your statement about printing an article about the president of the US. I think you could. You just can't about Obama because the media is in the tank for him. They would never print it. If it was Bush (or non-Obama), they would print it and write an editorial supporting it.

Edited by Markaew