Puea Thai And Reds Lose Big In Chiang Rai Mayor'S Race

maidu

So much for the myth that Chiang Rai is "Red territory.'

It's the Red's and PT party's 3rd defeat in two weeks.

Wanchai Chongsutnamani won. I don't know anything about him, but he can't be worse than a Red Shirt.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know the results of the most recent elections?

There were tens of thousands of posters all over town (which results in heaps of trash). I reckon the #1 candidate (Puea Thai party) had about 75% of posters, the #2 candidate (wife of influential politician?) about 20%, and the other candidates (including a purely Red Shirt candidate), together, accounted for about 5% of posters sighted everywhere.

My hill tribe friend voted for the #1 candidate and got Bt.150 from her pu yai ban withing a 1/2 hour for doing so. The pu yai ban kept the balance of the Bt.500 he was paid by the PT candidate. How many others sold their vote? .......and how many sold theirs' so cheap? We'll never know.

I guess payment for votes is so endemic in Thailand, that it's a big yawn by anyone who should care about it, like the EC commission. Plus, even if some investigation were fielded (in to vote fraud), it wouldn't amount to anything, as Thai authorities are world-renown for being limp-wristed investigators.

see my letter in today's Nation

Maybe people are sick of what is happening.

Next week will be interesting in Bangkok.

You and some others may be sick of what's happening, but even local politicians can effect the lifestyles of resident farangs.

some example: if there are protests which block streets and/or endanger people, that may also affect local farang. Some other possibilities........

>>>> worthwhile municipal projects may get blocked for political reasons (predicated on the color of the shirts of the people getting the most kickbacks, for example). I know of at least two examples.

>>>> if the price of bribes go up and/or bribe paying gets more convoluted.

>>>> If some elected folks and their cronies get unusually wealthy from devious means. Ok, maybe this doesn't directly affect resident farang, because it's too easy for us to say, "Sure, there's systemic corruption built in to the system, so why should we give a hoot? Let's just go play golf."

or "It's a Thai system for Thai people."

Maidu's note: still, can no one can enlighten us on who won the recent elections in C.Rai? .....for extra credit: what were the election results for the whole field of candidates, and are there any claims/investigations regarding the recent voting process?

Wanchai Chongsutnamani recaptures Chiangrai mayor’s office

Posted on May 8, 2012 by jfl

soc3-219.jpg

Ken Winkler with Mr. Wanchai Chongsuttanamanee

20120505-01-EC_election_count.jpg

What can be learned from these figures from the EC?

1. All the votes cast were not counted.
  2. The candidate the EC declared winner did not receive a majority of the votes cast.
  3. http://www.robinlea.com/wordpress/2012/05/08/wanchai-chongsutnamani-recaptures-chiangrai-mayors-office/

CHIANGRAI TIMES – Wanchai Chongsutnamani, long-standing former Chiang Rai mayor, beat mayor Somphong Kunwong by 15,109 to 11,312 votes, according to unofficial results announced by the Election Commission yesterday.

Third-placed candidate Witthaya Tantiphuwanat, a red shirt leader of the Khon Chiang Hai Rak Prachathipatai group, won only 2,394 votes from a total turnout of 31,321 voters.

It is the latest defeat for the Pheu Thai Party in its political stronghold and support base of the pro-Thaksin red shirt group after the ruling party lost in a by-election and elections for the head of the Provincial Organisation Administration in Pathum Thani late last month.

Pheu Thai spokesman Prompong Nopparit attributed the loss to a matter of “individual candidacy” rather than a party failure. http://www.chiangraitimes.com/news/7023.html

Edited by waza

Thanks Waza, for posting that. It seems odd to me, that of the thousands of posters around town, 95% had a photo of one woman or another. In other words, it looked as tho there were 2 women running for top spot. Am I referring to another election? Anyhow, did both women lose to the man who didn't have posters? Also, I recall reading in the B.Post that one of C.Rai's top contenders in the election was Wanchai's wife - which would also fit with the picture of two women being top contenders (by counting election posters). I assume (Ms?) Sompong was the PT candidate?

btw, where is the Mayor's office? I'm endeavoring to try and get some people interested in developing a beautiful nearby area in to a local free park. I think it's forestry land, but the local pu yai ban likely wants some tea money to facilitate his consent. There are so many gov't buildings in C.Rai area (about 60?), but I'd assume his office would be at the new cavernous place just NW of the Mae Fa Luang bridge. If anyone wants to assist in developing the idea for this park, let me know. I'll be glad to share details.