Yellow Bank Has No Cash Deposit Machines

Krung-Sri (bank of ayudhya) In bangkok, they usually do, but I noticed in several smaller areas in Chumphon province and even Chumphon town and other towns, Ayudhya never has a CDM attached to their branches or mall locations (which is especially odd), only the ATM and Passbook update machine.

I was considering opening account with them, but I don't see the point if they intentionally make it difficult to move money around outside the branch. Perhaps I'm spoiled by the other major banks, which always have this cash deposit machine, especially in the mall locations. Like Kasicorn bank only has one branch in the town, so they better have a CDM.

Does anyone have any insight as to why this is so? It appears to be a major inconvenience comparatively speaking. I've notice this for several months now, but just bothered to write about it today.

With all the problems I've read about re:ATMs, I'd never deposit cash. Do it with the teller and get it put into your book.

I see many, many people make use of the Bkk Bank CDMs, so I guess, quite reliable. Obviously more convenient for many because of 24/7 operation.

ATM machines for withdrawing cash have been around longer than CDM machines for depositing cash in Thailand.

The newer technology is put into the places it will be most used first, so that means big cities like BKK. You will probably also notice that the ATM cash dispensers for making withdrawals in BKK are newer and more updated than the ATMs in a province like Chumpon.

This is standard procedure in banking and not unique to Thailand. It costs money to roll out new machines, so rather than put 1,000 new machines and dump all the old ones, roll-out is phased, so more cost effective. Start with a couple of hundred say in priority places, and add over time to spread the capital expenditure. This also gives the chance to keep BKK with the most modern machines and recycle old ones to smaller locations further out.

You also have to think of user preferences as well as demographics: use of more automated banking technology and expectations in Chumpon will be lower than in BKK. Comparisons would be say rural people in the UK who used to like to visit their branch more for the personal touch, or younger people more likely to use than old. If you looked at the % of customers using internet banking in Thailand for example, % usage in BKK would be higher than in Chumpon.

Chumpon will get CDMs eventually. It just won't be first to get them and won't get the most modern, as the return on investment would be lower.

smile.png

Edited by fletchsmile

I use Bangkok Bank CDMs quite frequently to recharge my bank account with money from my home country bank. I usually go to my nearby Lotus mall where there is an AEON ATM. I then use one or both of my no foreign transaction fee Visa debit cards in the AEON ATM to get 30K or 60K baht from my home country bank accounts. OK, I now have cash immediately in-hand from my home country bank account, got the Visa exchange rate which is always plus or minus a few stang of the TT Buying Rate used for wire transfers, and no fees anywhere along the way. I then take about 20 steps to the Bangkok Bank branch outlet in the mall and use their CDM to deposit the funds. This whole process only took about 5 minutes. Now I have my Bangkok Bank account recharged to pay bills via their internet banking, use their debit card, etc.

Have done this around 20 times...never a problem. Most of the uses have been at the bank outlet at my nearby Lotus but I've also done the same thing a couple times at a Big C mall and a Central mall. I will say that sometimes even with brand new notes out of the ATM the CDM will initially reject some of the notes...but just removing them from the CDM and reinserting them in the opposite direction makes the CDM happy and the CDM accepts the note. Heck, if I happen to have brought my passbook along (which I occassionally do) I just take one step over from the CDM to the passbook update machine and it updates my passbook to reflect the CDM deposit I made just a few seconds earlier. As mentioned, I normally don't carry my passbook around...I'll just keep the CDM deposit receipt until I logon and check my internet banking to ensure the deposit posted..to date, I've never had a problem.

• Like 1

You can use a Bangkok Bank CDM to deposit into other bank's accounts. I've done it twice now; once into a Kasikorn account, and once into an SCB account. There is a small fee though; don't recall what it was.

Kasikorn has good coverage in CHMPN province, even an ATM out at Saphli, but I have yet to find a Kasikorn CDM. AA

The CDM is at the main branch (only branch) in chumphon town down the street from fame bar. There is another CDM in Big C on the second floor. No staffed branch, but ATM, CDM, and passbook combo.

ATM machines for withdrawing cash have been around longer than CDM machines for depositing cash in Thailand.

The newer technology is put into the places it will be most used first, so that means big cities like BKK. You will probably also notice that the ATM cash dispensers for making withdrawals in BKK are newer and more updated than the ATMs in a province like Chumpon.

This is standard procedure in banking and not unique to Thailand. It costs money to roll out new machines, so rather than put 1,000 new machines and dump all the old ones, roll-out is phased, so more cost effective. Start with a couple of hundred say in priority places, and add over time to spread the capital expenditure. This also gives the chance to keep BKK with the most modern machines and recycle old ones to smaller locations further out.

You also have to think of user preferences as well as demographics: use of more automated banking technology and expectations in Chumpon will be lower than in BKK. Comparisons would be say rural people in the UK who used to like to visit their branch more for the personal touch, or younger people more likely to use than old. If you looked at the % of customers using internet banking in Thailand for example, % usage in BKK would be higher than in Chumpon.

Chumpon will get CDMs eventually. It just won't be first to get them and won't get the most modern, as the return on investment would be lower.

smile.png

Every other bank has them that i noticed. Krung Sri stuck out because they recently opened a branch in Tesco and there was no CDM. Not an old branch waiting for an upgrade, but a brand new branch in a mall location. Siam Commercial, Krung Thai, Bangkok bank, etc all have them. It just stuck out more and more since then that yellow bank was least likely to have them. Maybe it is a money-saving thing.

For those people who say wait for a teller, that might work when there is no line or if you prefer to wait. But the CDM is reliable, cheaper, and faster than using teller. And you can even use them without an ATM card (just the account #).

What's really odd is that you called it 'Yellow Bank'

Is this how you differentiate between all businesses you use?

that's how the thais do it with describing it to farang. It works in this case, because there is only 1 major bank that is "yellow". Every bank seems to have their own unique color scheme. And since there are only about 30 or so thai banks, with about 8 or so major ones, it works happy.png

My wife and I are friends with one of the branch managers for Krungsri, I will ask her, she will most likely get onto her bosses in Bangkok and see if this situation can be remedied.

Now that's customer service.

You can use a Bangkok Bank CDM to deposit into other bank's accounts. I've done it twice now; once into a Kasikorn account, and once into an SCB account. There is a small fee though; don't recall what it was.

I saw the option at other CDMs when you deposit. Since most banks are clustered in a similar area, I tend to deposit directly with the exact name bank of the account. Minimizes fees and mistakes, as you can double-check the name on the account.