Seeking Information: Border Run From Bangkok

You gents are no doubt in the know on this one, but I was wondering what is the quickest and easiest way to do a border fun from the Sukhumvit area?

How long does it take to get to the border? What time do you get picked up? And how long does the entire trip to the border and back to Bangkok take? Also, what border crossing does the run take you to?

Thanks in advance.

I always use the same outfit, Visa Express on Soi 71, no. is 027132498 or the manager Phillip 0844360408.

Their 90-day runs are to Cambodia. Everybody meets up at the big restaurant on the Ekamai corner right outside the BTS. Can't remember if they leave at 08:00am or 09:00am and get back to BKK around 18:00.

I don't know how their prices compare but they seem pretty reasonable to me and they are very efficient, never any problem. Best to call 3-5 days in advance as trips vary depending on weekends, national holidays, etc. but they will always try and fit you in.

Mods: I'm not sure if names and numbers are allowed?

You can stay on the Thai side of the border while things are processed if you want, or make the very short walk over and stock up on duty free (don't exceed the Thailand limits!) wai.gif

How much does Visa Express charge for the transportation costs to the border? Typically, how long is the drive to the border? Are you on a bus with chickens and countryfolk and a driver flying down the road like a bat out of hell?

How much does Visa Express charge for the transportation costs to the border? Typically, how long is the drive to the border? Are you on a bus with chickens and countryfolk and a driver flying down the road like a bat out of hell?

It's around Thb2,000 but give them a call to check everything. It's a regular air-conditioned private bus and all farangs and a few filippino girls. I think it was about 5 hours or a bit less each way. The border time is about 30 - 45 minutes depending how many people are being processed They have a couple of their office girls on the bus who take care of everything at the border.

Okay...interesting, but five hours one way, then five hours back seems kind of daunting.

Would anybody suggest taking a quick flight to a neighboring country instead, then flying back? Logistically, is this more practical? How expensive can such a flight be?

Last year, I flew to Hanoi/Ho Chi Minh and the flight was painless, though I don't remember the price. Could I perceivably fly there, then fly back, and complete the entire process in less than four hours and also have a 30 stamp in my passport? Are there quicker/better places to fly to?

Please advise.

Air Asia (www.airasia.com) to KL is a good option plus there is no visa needed so entry is free. Plus you get a 30 day permit to stay verses 15 at border if you don't have a visa already.

On another note, five hours one way and five hours back could be alleviated greatly if they perhaps serve alcohol on the trip...In all seriousness, do they? How big is the bus/shuttle?

It's a regular size bus seating I'd guess around 40. No alcohol served but you can take your own of course and a book, MP3. There is a pit stop and free meal on the way there. There's some interesting scenery the last hour on so but when you've seen it once...

It is very convenient leaving from the Ekamai BTS.