Buckets Of Thai Coins

wana

is there any place that will count them ?and give me some paper money (i will pay 10-20%, for counting fees )

i have a large box that weighs about 20 kilograms ,amassed through laziness to carry coins in my pockets in favour of notes

and atm cards

I always bring them to my local 7/11 - Family Mart, they are more then happy to count them and exchange them for Paper Money. But I don't know if they will count 20 KG in one go.

Edited by MJCM

This might sound like real out of the box thinking, wana, and forgive me for coming up with a completely crazy idea, but how about a bank?

a bank is not going to take a 20kilo bucket of coins unless its pre-sorted into bags of 100thb so they can WEIGH it to SAVE TIME

you do comprehend that its going to take at least a couple of hours to count and sort it all ?

This might sound like real out of the box thinking, wana, and forgive me for coming up with a completely crazy idea, but how about a bank?

Based on several reports on Thaivisa, most/many banks can't be sussed to do it. Perhaps that's why.

• Like 2

Based on several reports on Thaivisa, most/many banks can't be sussed to do it. Perhaps that's why.

True, although they're supposed to accept all legal tender issued by the Bank of Thailand etc.

Try the Government Savings Bank (Omsin), they're the ones in bright pink, or perhaps try exchanging your coins in smaller tranches.

Edited by Trembly

Talk about "first world problems"!

I've seen banks with the automated coin counting machines but don't recall where, I'd advise inquiring at different branches until you get a yes.

Otherwise just grab a handful each time you head out shopping, most vendors are very happy to get change. Also public transport cash handlers are usually overjoyed at the opportunity to get rid of their paper, they want coins all day long.

Edit: I just asked my maid and she said she'd be happy to do it for 15% and I can vouch for her honesty. Can send her in a taxi if you pay the fare from south of Sathorn, PM if you like.

Edited by BigJohnnyBKK

20kg of 10 Baht coins @8.5g each is about 2,500 Baht.

Count and sort them yourself whilst sipping a cool beer :)

Roll them in stacks of 10 coins with adhesive tape and just spend them a bit at a time.

I have the same problem, Just moved house and had to transport about 20kgs of 1-5 baht coins (10baht coins handy for the washing machine at the old apartment)

I told the misses that we should donate it to charity and her reply was that we have to count it, they only accept notes.. which kind of defeats the purpose.

Id love to drop it at the feet of a beggar, maybe the sukhumvit worm guy, but aparently their all gang controlled,.

are you not the same bendix of such great intelliegnce that crashed his car into a wall (was it a moving wall ? ) while trying to turn in a car park ?cheesy.gif

I did. I'm a terrible driver.

But, seriously, wana . . . trawling through my posts from four years ago is a little sad simply to find something on me is a little sad, don't you think? Particularly when the best you can come up with is that I once had a fender bender in my car.

Good grief.

are you not the same bendix of such great intelliegnce that crashed his car into a wall (was it a moving wall ? ) while trying to turn in a car park ?cheesy.gif

But, seriously, wana . . . trawling through my posts from four years ago is a little sad simply to find something on me is a little sad, don't you think? Particularly when the best you can come up with is that I once had a fender bender in my car.

Good grief.

i didnt trawl through anything bendix ,i recollected it from memory ....

for someone who gets off on critizing people ,well,lets just say its hardly impressive to

hit a stationary object such as a wall when turning in a car park .....

i actually like your posts .......usually ....but banks do not want to entertain buckets of coins as several people have confirmed

so i am not the only one wondering what to do with them .......wai.gif

since 15 years I used to put coins into a huge Asbach Uralt bottle. and when it was full I just brought it to the bank where they had a counting machine, sometimes I had to come back a few days later to receive the paper money.

When we lived in the Philippines, we got the papers to roll 50 coins in a roll and brought them to the bank like that. They would not accept such a huge amount differently. It took us usually 3-4 hours to count them, wife, maid and myself.

I guess here in TH it would be similar to PH but you can of course use the offer from the other member.

Edited by yannic

Roll them in stacks of 10 coins with adhesive tape and just spend them a bit at a time.

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!! Definitely don't put tape on them. It is an absolute bugger to get off and the adhesive gum remaining is a PITA.

OP - if you bag them - 7/11's, service stations, mom & pop super markets etc. will take them off your hands. (7/11's pay a fee to banks to keep them supplied with coin)

(Some) banks will count for a 3% fee.

TOT telephone exchange may take them off your hands for a fee as well.

Or you can buy a coin counting/separator for about 10,000B from Makro or office works.

60 kg's of coins, assuming a generic mix, will take you about 3 - 4 hours to count by yourself.

Good luck!

Last week I had the same problem, all be it a kittle less maybe 6 or 7 kg the wife suggested we take it to tesco so we did and they sorted it no problem. I have no idea if they charged any commission but came back an hour later and collected 1500 plus a bag of mixed foreign coins and a few left over bahts.

We have about 10-15k Baht of coins to get rid of every week. Whenever we have taken a load to a new place they have taken them apart and counted them anyway. Tescos always did everytime at the customer service desk.

The bank used to charge a fee, Kasikorn, but now don't charge anything or even count them as so many of their customers ask for coins and they know us. Anyway if you take them there they will count them anyway and charge less than you are asking for. As someone said the bank is the best easiest option, the ones near markets are the ones that ask us if they can have coins.

Lots of businesses want them; Pizza company, Tescos, coach companies, market stalls, food market stalls, 7/11's as someone posted, boots, pharmacies, and paint shops are always after them from us. Most only want 10s and 5's but a coach company and a pharmacy in tesco always take everything we have.

Good grief.

Oh. I see. Well, you obviously have a remarkable memory.

And here I was thinking that it was related to you having been in my profile page recently and that particular thread being one of the last that I started (again, quite prominent in my profile).

My mistake coffee1.gif

Now, back to the issue of your coins.

Good grief.

Oh. I see. Well, you obviously have a remarkable memory.

And here I was thinking that it was related to you having been in my profile page recently and that particular thread being one of the last that I started (again, quite prominent in my profile).

My mistake coffee1.gif

Now, back to the issue of your coins.

wishful thinking bendix .....rolleyes.gif

ps : Is it nice up there ?

Logical.

Can't imagine why the reasoning behind the intitial inquary.

Logical.

Can't imagine why the reasoning behind the intitial inquary.

go into busy bank in the centre of bkk with a suitcase of assorted small low value coins and you will understand the reasoning ,,,,,

Personally I like counting coins.

Maybe it's the cheap arse in me. Or maybe i just like money. Maybe it was from my grandfather, a bank manager, who I would hep counting the coins after Sunday collection.

If I lived close you could buy me a Cider or two and id do it over a yarn at your kitchen table.

• Like 1

I think I'd drop in any. Girley bar ,buy some beers ,dump the box on the bar top And ask some of the girls there to count it instead of whipping me at me connect four

Whip out the money bags get them to sort it out. Drop a few hundred baht of a tip and stumble to the next bank with my pretty bagged up coins

Thai. Girls are good at counting money

Shove a handful of coins in your pocket and go for a walk. Scatter a few discreetly as you go and observe the reaction.

Alternatively, you could leave them as tips for things you haven't bought...

My spare coins are kept in a basket at the front door. I use them when the ice cream man comes around the mooban and treat the kids.

Unfortunately, Now everytime they hear the Ice cream man everyone runs to hangout in front of my house!

• Like 2