A Not-So-Pleasant Stroll On Huay Kaew Road

sante

I had decided to take a stroll from my place just northeast of CMU to Kad Suan Kaew Shopping Centre. According to Google map it looked like quite a distance but I enjoy walking and figured if I left early I'd be back before the temperature soared and I liquefied. But it wasn't a pleasant experience mainly because I had to cross two big highways (121 & 11 although they may be known by other names locally).

I just didn't know when to cross the street because even when the light was green vehicles kept turning onto the road. Actually, I'd probably still be standing there, eyes anxiously darting from traffic light to traffic if someone in a car, watching my confusion, waved me across the street. So, I'd like to know, what are the pedestrian rights or aren't there any, and you just run across the road, hoping for the best?

Also, are there overpasses for these roads so traffic light intersections can be avoided? As mentioned earlier, I'm staying just northeast of CMU but would gladly go out of my way to avoid the crossing ordeal.

And I should mention that I was born in New York City and spent my first nineteen years there so am familiar with traffic and aggressive drivers but the Huay Kaew Road, 121 & 11 experiences were even more challenging.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"And I should mention that I was born in New York City and spent my first nineteen years there so am familiar with traffic and aggressive drivers but the Huay Kaew Road, 121 & 11 experiences were even more challenging."

Maybe you were looking in the wrong direction?

laugh.png

• Like 1

Yes here in Thailand you are expected to take responsibility for your self. It can be daunting at times but it can be done. The Thais do it all the time. Some times you only get half way across and have to wait for the opportunity to get across the other half.

What I hate is when I judge it will be safe to pass and the driver slows down and I loose that opportunity.

You might not get used to it but it is the only choice you have some tines.

When I first got here, someone told me that you are supposed to walk slowly across the road and let traffic go around you, but I've never trusted the crazy drivers enough to actually try it. ermm.gif

Too wide a variety of drivers in CM removes the predictability of taking that approach - works in Isaan towns ok.

I too enjoy walking, but to cross major intersections it is wise to go 100m or so beyond the junction before crossing.

• Like 1

Cities in Thailand are the most pedestrian-hostile places I've ever seen. I'd do a lot more walking if it weren't for the difficulty and danger of crossing the roads as well as the health hazards of the dust and exhaust.

Unfortunately complaining on TV will not change the aggressive/clueless nature of Thai drivers or motivated officials to build pedestrian overpasses or better patrol crosswalks. We're stuck with the current situation and I don't see it changing any time soon.

A new record, a thread about crossing the road.

Actually, this topic more important than many many other topics posted and discussed. It could save someone's life here. The drivers are lunatics and have gotten more agressive in the last 3 months it seems.

• Like 1

I sympathise with your experience Sante. I generally find walking to not be a pleasant experience here. Not just traffic, but hazardous in general. Metal stuff poking up from pavements, broken uneven pavements, electrical cables jutting out and hanging down, signage posted at levels to smack your face in. I think in general, Thai do not walk for pleasure, so i guess no real thought is put in regarding making areas safe and decent to walk in.

I don't really stand still on the pavement (if there is any) and I always make a move as if I will cross, if a car stops I have luck if not, I try again, most of the time they stop.

4 Traffic lane roads without a, central deviding are more dangerous because sometimes I have to restraine in the middle, keep moving (with or from the traffic) seems least unsave for me. More difficult are the 2x3 lanes, here counts, run for my life.

I am quite big, maybe that works.

i stopped yesterday at traffic lights by the old spicy,and a car zoomed past me on the right,and nearly took out the people crossing.have to feel sorry for tourists who think zebra crossings are safe to use at any time

• Like 1

I have found that a lot of drivers will actually speed up if they think they can get through 'the gap' before you can cross the road.

It has always been my theory that they speed up to intimidate you to not cross in front of them, so they do not have to slow down.

I have found that a lot of drivers will actually speed up if they think they can get through 'the gap' before you can cross the road.

It has always been my theory that they speed up to intimidate you to not cross in front of them, so they do not have to slow down.

It's a good theory and I do often feel intimidated.thumbsup.gif

Nothing worse than when you get stuck between two lanes of traffic travelling in the same direction....aint no one slowing down to let you cross!

What is needed is a map of Chiang Mai where roads are highlighted based on their friendliness to pedestrians.

There are really two issues here. First is the ease with which you can walk along the street. Second, as OP points out, is the ability to cross that street. Many of the roads around the moat are an excellent example of streets that are easy to walk along, but difficult or dangeous -- if not impossible -- to cross. And then of course there are any number of busy sois that, though easy to cross, are very dangerous to walk along since there are no sidewalks and you have a mix of scooters, tuk-tuks and cars all vying for the same real estate.

My advise is to explore your immediate area keeping all of this in mind and be prepared to turn back. Basically, you're performing a depth-first search across the domain of possible routes that take you from point A to B. And when you find something passable, stick with it.

Some other lessons learned: be very careful with nighttime crossing situations where you feel the need to just go-for-broke and dash across the road. There are many cars and bikes that don't have lights turned on. Nearly lost the bacon one time crossing the western moat road that way. Also, you're not just looking out for oncoming traffic, you're also looking at parked cars and bikes in your immediate area... they may be looking for the opportunity to dash out and get in between the cars too. Lots of close calls on Nimmanheiman doing this.

Like OP, I'm from NYC too. It is a lot more challenging here. The mix of traffic combined with the cultural disregard for pedestrians makes for a toxic walking experience. I'll point out that it isn't a Thai thing; lots of good memories walking about in Udon Thani and parts of Bangkok.

It's easier to cross Huay Kaew than an undivided road like Nimmanheimen. At least with Huay Kaew you can wait in the middle of the road on the little raised median.

I know someone who was seriously injured trying to cross an undivided four-lane road like Nimman.

She had been told by several Thais that the way to cross the road was to wait for the traffic to clear in the direction closest to her, proceed to the middle of the road and wait on the yellow line for traffic to clear the other way. A passing motorcycle brushed up against her while she was waiting in the middle for traffic to clear. Fell down and broke her hip. That strategy of road crossing works if you're young and healthy, not if you're elderly, use a cane and move slowly.

So, I'd like to know, what are the pedestrian rights

Nonexistent. Pedestrians are on the lowest level of the pecking order, even bicycles try to run you down. sad.png

And anyone who doubts this should try out the marked pedestrian crossing in front of Art Cafe after getting the green light.

Airport Plaza is another "hot spot" for potential pedestrian accidents. One would have thought that an underpass or 2 would have been a logical inclusion in the development. I stopped this week for a couple of students who were trying to cross ,at the faded pedestrian crossing, on Hang Dong Road and the guy behind me was most irate. By stopping of course you run the risk of someone going straight up your rear end.TIT