Ranong Or Surat Thani? Best Way Up To Bkk

longstebe

Surat by far. To go there there are 2 options: the old road, which is 2/3 4 lane already, rest is being upgraded at the moment, and the new Krabi-Surat Road, all 4 lane, with normally not a soul in sight.

I prefer the old one, shorter and therefor the quicker road I think.

For the old road: take the road left where Surat is indicated, for the new road: continue at the Surat sign for about 25 km and follow signs for Surat there.

Surat by far. To go there there are 2 options: the old road, which is 2/3 4 lane already, rest is being upgraded at the moment, and the new Krabi-Surat Road, all 4 lane, with normally not a soul in sight.

For the old road: take the road left where Surat is indicated, for the new road: continue at the Surat sign for about 25 km and follow signs for Surat there.

Steve are you talking about route 44, the unfinished "landbridge"? Kind of interesting history behind it. It even has it's own wiki page. That space in the center was supposed to be for train tracks and pipelines. There is not a single intersection in 190km. It's probably the only road in Thailand where you can pin the throttle for an entire tank of gas. I have always assumed it was a casualty of the '97 crash.

http://en.wikipedia....ailand_Route_44

Edited by NomadJoe

Steve are you talking about route 44, the unfinished "landbridge"? Kind of interesting history behind it. It even has it's own wiki page. That space in the center was supposed to be for train tracks and pipelines. There is not a single intersection in 190km. It's probably the only road in Thailand where you can pin the throttle for an entire tank of gas. I have always assumed it was a casualty of the '97 crash.

Yes, that's the one. Nice road, problem is it is a detour of all in all about 40 km's over a less than 200 km's road distance. Since I drive about 120 km/h simply not worth it for me, since on the other road I can also drive at almost the same speed. To lazy for the calculation right now, but I guess you'd have to go about 180 km/h on that road, especially since the first 25 k detour are really slow on a 2 lane road.

When I drive this I always drive with somebody who can't read maps. And since I can't read a map and drive at the same time can't help you with the numbers. But it's easy: first you follow Krabi, when you see Surat you turn left direction Surat, when you're almost there you turn left onto the main highway direction Chumpon.

When I drive this I always drive with somebody who can't read maps. And since I can't read a map and drive at the same time can't help you with the numbers. But it's easy: first you follow Krabi, when you see Surat you turn left direction Surat, when you're almost there you turn left onto the main highway direction Chumpon.

Thanks matey.

My co-pilot is also one of them that can't read a map.

Yes, that's the one. Nice road, problem is it is a detour of all in all about 40 km's over a less than 200 km's road distance. Since I drive about 120 km/h simply not worth it for me, since on the other road I can also drive at almost the same speed. To lazy for the calculation right now, but I guess you'd have to go about 180 km/h on that road, especially since the first 25 k detour are really slow on a 2 lane road.

Route 44 always gets a mention when this question is asked, so sad person that I am, the last time I did this trip I timed myself on both routes. I also drive about 120kmh. The cross country route (routes 415 & 401) took me about 1 hour 10 mins. To get from and to the same points by using route 44 took me an hour and a half.

I guess 20 mins is not a big difference and if you want an easy drive then route 44 is the way to go. Personally I think the cross country route is a more enjoyable drive.

• Like 1

I went the 44 yesterday on the way from Phipun to Phuket. About 20 kms from the end, the road is closed and you have to change to the opposite track. So - if you go up to Bangkok - be aware of oncoming traffic in that area. The signs are not very helpful... Have a safe trip!

Do you average 120KPH or is that the maximum speed you travel at

Last time we traveled to Bangkok we spotted overnight at Cha Am and i travel at a maximum speed of 125KPH

Divided the time it took for the trip by the kilos drive and my average speed was 81KPH

Do you average 120KPH or is that the maximum speed you travel at

Last time we traveled to Bangkok we spotted overnight at Cha Am and i travel at a maximum speed of 125KPH

Divided the time it took for the trip by the kilos drive and my average speed was 81KPH

I average also about 80 on the whole strech. A bit less in the beginning, a bit more later on. But I cruise at 120 (with cruise control).

Cruise control is great in outback Australia where you have long straight roads

Wouldn't you have to constantly have to switch it on and of here

The pickup we have on order has cruise control and i thought it was a unnecessary extra here

The pickup we have on order has cruise control and i thought it was a unnecessary extra here

No, I like it also here.

Long, straight roads, where in the main, road surface good quality, heavy lorries stick to the inside lane, fewer vehicles, and, definitely, where the vast majority of motorists drive within the laws.

Here, the above isn't true. Cruise control is a dangerous feature in Thailand, as it creates a 'relaxed' driver. In turn, that makes decision making a split second slower, and less able to react quickly when needed.

Managing the speed yourself, and, indeed using gears (rather than automatics) focuses attention on driving skills, and I'm convinced these two aspects contribute to the high level of accidents here.

• 8 months later...

My turn for a trip to Bangkok, so I have resurrected this interesting old thread. I need to get various things done there, and am wondering if it would just be easier to take a bus up and use public transport -- or drive it. I will stay four nights in the Muang Thong Thani area.

Back when I lived there (for a decade ending in 1997) the BTS was under construction and I went everywhere by bus, so I find the idea of driving there challenging and daunting at the same time. I wonder what others who have been through this would recommend.

The info in the above thread will indeed be helpful if I drive, but the highway map I have is very old and quite useless....Can anyone recommend a good one? It can be in Thai or English.

Sadly, my co-pilot is map illiterate, which has been the source of numerous 'blowouts' in the past...

Also, have there been any improvements to the roads mentioned in the above threads?

Money is a factor here as well. I need to do all of this as cheaply as possible.

As always, any and all advice much appreciated.

Edited by phuketsub

My turn for a trip to Bangkok, so I have resurrected this interesting old thread. I need to get various things done there, and am wondering if it would just be easier to take a bus up and use public transport -- or drive it. I will stay four nights in the Muang Thong Thani area.

Back when I lived there (for a decade ending in 1997) the BTS was under construction and I went everywhere by bus, so I find the idea of driving there challenging and daunting at the same time. I wonder what others who have been through this would recommend.

The info in the above thread will indeed be helpful if I drive, but the highway map I have is very old and quite useless....Can anyone recommend a good one? It can be in Thai or English.

Sadly, my co-pilot is map illiterate, which has been the source of numerous 'blowouts' in the past...

Also, have there been any improvements to the roads mentioned in the above threads?

Money is a factor here as well. I need to do all of this as cheaply as possible.

Via Michellin I've found to always be quite good. You can put in the start and finish addresses, and it will show a route map, as well as a turn by turn written guide. Link here:

http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/web/Routes

Vai Ranong you need to add about 2 hours to your trip time

Route 44 has new bridges being built on it at present with two way traffic in that section

Came back that way last time and will not do it again

The middle route if you usually do not drive more than 120KPM is the fastest and best way to go

I would not drive in Bangkok myself, public transport there is excellent and can be cheap and/or fast.

With bustickets for a comfortable bus about 1,000 Baht one way and the drive up there probably more expensive in petrol/diesel alone I would consider the bus.

I would not drive in Bangkok myself, public transport there is excellent and can be cheap and/or fast.

With bustickets for a comfortable bus about 1,000 Baht one way and the drive up there probably more expensive in petrol/diesel alone I would consider the bus.

Yes, I am leaning that way. The problem is that I have been on Mafia Isle for so long I forget that good public transport exists in the rest of the country...it will also save me a good deal of stress

I have just had the misfortune to drive the Surat to Hua Hin route a few times over a couple of weeks.The drive is OK but the state of road is diabolical.

Not very nice when you have a bus tailgating you at 140 kph and slow trucks on the inside and then you see the biggest pothole you have ever seen and no way of avoiding it.these pothole sections go on for about 10 klm then a nice smooth section then wham again.

I am not surprised at the amount of accidents on this road due to its state of disrepair.

^

just out of interest what would be the approximate diesel cost to drive 3.0l truck up there ,I'd guess about 2500-3000 bht

I've done it twice. Both times it was about 5000 round trip.

Edited by Shot

This all reminds me that the Phuket forum should have, as a 'pinned thread', a 'ride board' for people who are either commuting daily in Phuket and want to carpool or who are travelling to other parts of the country for whatever reason, eg. Visa Trips.

These used to be quite common at universities in the US back in the 80s, though I don't know if they still exist.

I would also like to see a resurgence in hitchhiking as a way to stick it to the Phuket transport mafia.

I will pick up anyone who sits roadside with thumb extended, provided they aren't dressed in a long dark brown robe and are carrying a sickle.

Anyway, seriously, moderators please consider this.

• Like 1