Credit Card Game?

curtklay

I have had this occur several times, and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced it.

It involves cashiers at Big C and Tesco telling me my Visa credit card won't work, when in fact, they are not using the terminal correctly. Initially, I thought it was just lack of training or ignorance, but I am now suspicious that this is some kind of game they are playing with the Farang. The first time it happened, I called my credit card company to see if there was a problem. They said there was no problem with my card, (including international transactions) and that they could see there was no attempt to run a charge by the store. They advised me to call a Manager if it happened again.

Today a clerk slid my card through the terminal, pushed the green button to send the data, then pushed the red button which cancels the transaction. She did this twice, then told me I wasn't authorized to use the card. I told her to call a Manager. Instead, she slid the card again, pushed the green button, but didn't push the red button, and the authorization went through instantly. I clearly saw her pushing the "cancel" button on her previous attempts, and it appeared to be intentional.

Another time, the clerk slid the card twice and told me it didn't work. When I said call a Manager, she turned the card around, slid it through again, and magically it worked. Obviously the magnetic strip wasn't being read because she was reading the wrong side of the card. This same cashier did this on 2 different occasions!

I would like to think that these were honest mistakes, but it has happened enough to make me suspicious that this is some kind of fun they are having. Let me state that there is nothing wrong with the strip on my card, no problem with my balance, or any other factor that would cause my card to be rejected. The terminal is simple enough for a chimpanzee to operate. Each time, all I have to say is "call a Manager", and somehow they immediately figure out how to make it work without any help. The pushing of the "cancel" button, and the reverse orientation of the card certainly make me suspicious, although I can't imagine what the motivation is. Am I paranoid, or have other TV members had this happen to them?

Please...only serious replies. Thanks.

post-93392-0-20572700-1337590637_thumb.j

Were you buying a can of coke or something really cheap ? that might explain why they dont want to incur credit card fees or charges ..........

And this could be the answer, as wouldnt the company concerned get hit for a 3% charge ?

Maybe she's skimming the till and trying to get people to pay cash.

tills cannot be skimmed like this anymore (maybe in a bar,nite club or hotel ,not in big c or 7/11)

staff mistakes are not really tolerated ,

a few baht missing once will get you a written warning

another mistake again your fired

(if its substancialy light it would be a police matter also )

everything is barcoded and the computer tallies it all up .....so the only way the employee can steal is by having a friend come in

and passing items through the checkout area without scaning their barcodes ,thus helping the items into the bag without the computer

in the till registering (they can split/share the profits later )

this is all recorded on cctv above every till so anyone doing it will be nailed at some stage ,not worth the hassle for a few measly baht

I have had this occur several times, and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced it.

It involves cashiers at Big C and Tesco telling me my Visa credit card won't work

I certainly have! As I'm a frequent visitor of Tesco (it's 5 minutes from home), I have noticed that every time a customer is using his/hers credit card there is always some sort of delay, the transaction takes double the time compared to customers using cash. My suggestion to the store managers is that they should have a special line (as the max 10 items lines) for CC users, where they can flash and compare the colour (credit) of their cards with other card holders and don't have to delay customers with real money.

Edited by Semper

It involves cashiers at Big C and Tesco telling me my Visa credit card won't work

I certainly have! As I'm a frequent visitor of Tesco (it's 5 minutes from home), I have noticed that every time a customer is using his/hers credit card there is always some sort of delay, the transaction takes double the time compared to customers using cash. My suggestion to the store managers is that they should have a special line (as the max 10 items lines) for CC users, where they can flash and compare the colour (credit) of their cards with other card holders and don't have to delay customers with real money.

sorry for the delay for using credit card to pay my 2 trolley of my tibits and condoms

tills cannot be skimmed like this anymore (maybe in a bar,nite club or hotel ,not in big c or 7/11)

everything is barcoded and the computer tallies it all up .....so the only way the employee can steal is by having a friend come in

and passing items through the checkout area without scaning their barcodes ,thus helping the items into the bag without the computer

this is all recorded on cctv above every till so anyone doing it will be nailed at some stage ,not worth the hassle for a few measly baht

Can't she scan an item two times then after the customer has paid and gone cancel one and pocket the extra when she balances her till? Would explain why she doesn't want customers using cards as there is no cash to pocket.

Been denied a Thai credit card by any chance have we "Semper" ?rolleyes.gif

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 1

I have to agree with Semper.. paying with a credit card is a delay. Seems to go wrong often too.

Can't she scan an item two times then after the customer has paid and gone cancel one and pocket the extra when she balances her till? Would explain why she doesn't want customers using cards as there is no cash to pocket.

junior staff have to call a supervisor to edit the till ,they dont have that priviledge until they move "up through the ranks " :)

the system is pretty well designed to minimise pilfering ,designed better than most govt dept's in thailand for sure :D

I have to agree with Semper.. paying with a credit card is a delay. Seems to go wrong often too.

Not in my experience..

Nope, never applied for one. smile.png

Well 17 posts in and no one has suggested farangs are being targeted and scammed by Tesco's and Big C on their credit cards yet and then digressed into a diatribe about the repressive and racist visa polices in Thailand and a farangs inability to own land in Thailand, further no one has started a post which starts...."In the US/UK, home......".....Well done chaps I am impressed....thumbsup.gif

Me too. But still no definitive answer.

For the record, Yes, I realize I can use cash. But with the favorable exchange rate, and the reward points, using the card is to my advantage. And when the clerk enters the transaction correctly, it takes no longer than paying cash.

No, I'm not charging a can of coke. The sales are usually more than 2000 baht.

Actually my wife has come up with the most likely answer. If you look at the picture of the terminal, the green button has an arrow on it that points toward the red button. She thinks that the inadequately trained clerk assumes they are supposed to push the red button after the green button. Makes sense, kind of.

Nope, never applied for one. smile.png

A CC is not really needed unless you have no money, an ATM card can be used instead.

The most common reason for a credit card not reading properly is the speed of the swipe. For some reason they try to swipe the card at a speed close to the speed of light. I find a smile and the words "Cha-cha" bringing success and a smile in return.

The most common reason for a credit card not reading properly is the speed of the swipe. For some reason they try to swipe the card at a speed close to the speed of light. I find a smile and the words "Cha-cha" bringing success and a smile in return.

A smile... I usually experience this stare wit uh-lorrrrhhh?

Sent from my Nexus S using Thaivisa Connect App

Never understood how come when paying with my card in thailand a clerk disappears with my card somewhere for 10 minutes to make the transaction,

Also a terminal can proceed payment without the pin code which I have seen only in Thailand. Probably Thais trust each other really well.

One time in Central Department Store, PinKlao I spotted that a customer had left their credit card on the cashier's desk. I promptly alerted them to it, explained that I had just found it and was astonished when they tried to ring my purchases through with it. I am an Englishman and the name on the card was a Thai woman!! Real attention to security at the tills.

That can't be right. Thais don't do anything fast.

... Except driving.

Sent from my shoe phone

Edited by whybother

Never understood how come when paying with my card in thailand a clerk disappears with my card somewhere for 10 minutes to make the transaction,

Also a terminal can proceed payment without the pin code which I have seen only in Thailand. Probably Thais trust each other really well.

Recently in Singapore when asked for my CC PIN and I didn't know it they were able to bypass the PIN input and process the transaction with a signature. So I suppose they can do that anywhere?

One time in Central Department Store, PinKlao I spotted that a customer had left their credit card on the cashier's desk. I promptly alerted them to it, explained that I had just found it and was astonished when they tried to ring my purchases through with it. I am an Englishman and the name on the card was a Thai woman!! Real attention to security at the tills.

you dont need to be the cardholder to use a card in thailand (im sure the banking terms and conditions stipulate you do )but in reality ,you dont

i can send my secretary out to buy stuff and if there isnt cash i give her a credit card and she is allowed to sign my name

shops dont give a <deleted> as long as the transaction is cleared by the issueing bank ..........

its actually could be really serious if you lose a wallet full of cards here and dont get them all cancelled immediately ,in europe ,cards are worthless

without the pin so you are free to be as careless as you like with them

good luck doing that here .........

Well as long as you're using your back-home cards, you just tell the bank it wasn't you and they simply remove the charges and bill back to the merchant.

I think that will also become the rule here in Thailand around the same time they eliminate corruption and have quality education available to all regardless of wealth. . .

Well as long as you're using your back-home cards, you just tell the bank it wasn't you and they simply remove the charges and bill back to the merchant.

I think that will also become the rule here in Thailand around the same time they eliminate corruption and have quality education available to all regardless of wealth. . .

i dont want to get in involved in a fraud case over a few bags of groceries ( i only give them a thai cards anyway ) ,

i would worry more about the other aspect of it

losing my cards whilst out drinking and not noticing for a few days and finding out someone has bought piles of stuff

and the money has been debited already etc

a few years ago i got 2 ATM cards cloned and lost about 5000 euro on both of them (one bank refunded and the other didnt so it went to court and i lost by default due to being in hiospital in another country and unable to make my court appearance )

their whole case was based on the withdrawls were authorised with a pin number so they accused me of being careless with the pin and letting someone else find out it to commit the fraud