Thb Is Getting Stronger And Stronger Our Euro Is Getting Weaker

radiola

I just need to do a large conversion from EUR and the EUR is at its lowest. Dammit!!!!

When I first came to Thailand, EUR was around 50 BHT.

And when I convert the EUR will jump back up to like 43 for sure

I am so angry now

Sorry to hear that.....I can't see things changing in your favour for a couple of months at least..........that stupid Greek election will be the deciding factor, once they have it it will take a few days to form a government, and by the looks of it it will be anti-deficit reduction.

Sorry.

Sorry to hear that.....I can't see things changing in your favour for a couple of months at least..........that stupid Greek election will be the deciding factor, once they have it it will take a few days to form a government, and by the looks of it it will be anti-deficit reduction.

Sorry.

A couple of months? perhaps if at all sad.png

I'm no financial expert, but the prospect of Greece exiting the Euro seems more an more likely, and to happen sooner rather than later i.e. this year. If that happens, I imagine the Euro, and just about everybody else, is going to take a big hit.

As an aside, the savings I do have are 70% in the bank as cash (poor interest rate) and 30% in equities (dropped significantly this week, but still up over the medium and long-term i.e. last 3-4 years). I'm tempted to put all of this in cash for the time being and live with the meagre interest rates.

Edited by londoedan

I just need to do a large conversion from EUR and the EUR is at its lowest. Dammit!!!!

I am so angry now

I suggest you direct your anger at a system in Europe ch has had governments spending way beyond their means for decades pandering to populations who want services and luxury but don't want to pay taxes to finance them.

Your anger reminds me of the rage of caliban seeing his face in the mirror.

whistling.gif Enjoy it while you can.

My personal opinion only....but the people in the U.K. who somehow believe that the Euro collapse ....(inevitable now that Greece will default and now Spainish banks are showing problems)..... and that Eurozone and Euro collapse will not affect the GBP are deluding themselves.

All the European economies are like a house of cards....Greece, Spain next, then Italy....and all the rest of the cards will be falling sooner or later.

Yes, the Pound will be insulated somewhat....but the Eurozone turmoil will cause problems for the pound also.

As for the Euro...it's basically toliet paper now.

In fact the whole world economy will shake. It's all smoke-and-mirrors anyhow....based on an illusion....and backed by nothing but hot air and illusionary paper profits.

The Euro first, then the Pound and the U.S. dollar will come under pressure. Exactly how hurt they will be it's anyone's guess.

The days of "western" economic dominence are going fast if not gone already.....and it's never coming back.

The old Europe is on it's last legs, and Asia (especially China) will take it's place.

And the last time I looked at a map London was closer to Brussels than to Beijing.

whistling.gif

I am so angry now

I suggest you direct your anger at a system in Europe ch has had governments spending way beyond their means for decades pandering to populations who want services and luxury but don't want to pay taxes to finance them.

Your anger reminds me of the rage of caliban seeing his face in the mirror.

Euro system had way enough money to pay for its services, but way not enough to keep throwing billions and billions of Euros to the crooks running the financial market.

Edited by aneliane

My personal opinion only....but the people in the U.K. who somehow believe that the Euro collapse ....(inevitable now that Greece will default and now Spainish banks are showing problems)..... and that Eurozone and Euro collapse will not affect the GBP are deluding themselves.

All the European economies are like a house of cards....Greece, Spain next, then Italy....and all the rest of the cards will be falling sooner or later.

Yes, the Pound will be insulated somewhat....but the Eurozone turmoil will cause problems for the pound also.

In fact the whole world economy will shake. It's all smoke-and-mirrors anyhow....based on an illusion....and backed by nothing but hot air and illusionary paper profits.

The Euro first, then the Pound and the U.S. dollar will come under pressure. Exactly how hurt they will be it's anyone's guess.

The days of "western" economic dominence are going fast if not gone already.....and it's never coming back.

The old Europe is on it's last legs, and Asia (especially China) will take it's place.

And the last time I looked at a map London was closer to Brussels than to Beijing.

whistling.gif

I do love the ramblings of a bar stool economist!

The London and South East England property markets are currently being energised by a huge influx of Greek and Spanish money.

So evidently the wealthier Europeans disagree that the £ is not a good bet. Essentially what people are looking for is a stable currency, backed by a sound fiscal government - and the only Countries that have that are NOT in the Euro.

whistling.gif

I do love the ramblings of a bar stool economist!

The London and South East England property markets are currently being energised by a huge influx of Greek and Spanish money.

So evidently the wealthier Europeans disagree that the £ is not a good bet. Essentially what people are looking for is a stable currency, backed by a sound fiscal government - and the only Countries that have that are NOT in the Euro.

Yes, so do I!

Anyone who thinks the property market in the SE UK is being energised currently should stop reading the Daily Mail as their sole source of input to their economic opinion forming and decision making.

• Like 1

BOTH the Baht AND the Euro are weak currently (compared to the USD and GBP).

Just think about the rates if THB really gets strong again while EUR down!

OK I've thought about it and you're wrong, THB is not weak against GBP for starters. Also, THB more or less tracks USD and the latter is getting stronger.

"Anyone who thinks the property market in the SE UK is being energised currently should stop reading the Daily Mail as their sole source of input to their economic opinion forming and decision making."

I couldn't agree more. My sources are highly placed business people, respected financial institutions and relatives in the property industry. I don't read the Daily Mail either. Of course, living in Chiang Mai, gives you a unique insight, with relevant direct connections to London and South East England professionals. Good post!

Don't you just love it when vested interest parties try to talk the market up, not dismiliar to that group that's waiting for 70 baht to the Pound again.

I don't have a vested interest anymore, I just keep myself up to date. But I've blundered, and didn't consider the rule about arguing with certain types - and I've been beaten by their experience!

wai.gif

Mrs Mills, I came to Thailand for the weather! clap2.gif

whistling.gif

I think your faith in China could be a bit over optimistic. They are far too dependent on the western nations for their export markets to maintain the growth rates they need. Though a decline in EUR and GBP might be something that they could handle, a fall in the value of the USD would have too big an effect on them and, because their manufacturing is based on high volume/low margin production they are far too dependent on cash flows rather than profit margins to bring wealth to their own people to replace and lost demand. Think Japan from a 2-3 decades back but on steroids.

OK I've thought about it and you're wrong, THB is not weak against GBP for starters. Also, THB more or less tracks USD and the latter is getting stronger.

No idea what you are talking about.

THB Is near a two year low against USD.

See this (inverse rates):

http://www.xe.com/cu...&to=USD&view=2Y

GBP not much different:

http://www.xe.com/cu...&to=GBP&view=2Y

The EUR is really weak compare to the two above, so THB looks strong to EUR:

http://www.xe.com/cu...&to=EUR&view=2Y

Wish I could cite an article about this.

But is deemed inappropriate in this forum, because the article is from some "... Post".

Edited by KhunBENQ

No idea what you are talking about.

THB Is near a two year low against USD.

See this (inverse rates):

http://www.xe.com/cu...&to=USD&view=2Y

GBP not much different:

http://www.xe.com/cu...&to=GBP&view=2Y

The EUR is really weak compare to the two above, so THB looks strong to EUR:

http://www.xe.com/cu...&to=EUR&view=2Y

Wish I could cite an article about this.

But is deemed inappropriate in this forum, because the article is from some "... Post".

THB is not weak against GBP although many posters wish it were, the obverse is however true. In recent months the BOT has been fighting to weaken the value of THB, if left unchecked THB would become naturally stronger and would cripple the export market. The recent history of THB/GBP THB/USD is best viewed over a slightly longer period as shown below, the key relationship is THB/USD which drives the value of THB whereas THB/GBP is a bi-product of USD/GBP.

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=THB&view=5Y

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=USD&to=THB&view=5Y