Need A Good School In Phuket For My Son

yingwa

I am moving from England to Phuket with my wife and 3 year old son and I would really appreciate some advice on good schools. We plan to move to the South of Phuket so would like to concentrate on schools around the Chalong and Rawai area. Please can anyone recommend a school in this area?

You need to give serious thought as to what priority you're going to give to your son's education. In practical terms, for a southern Phuket location, this will mean level of education fees you want to pay, the time you're willing to devote to the 'school run' each day, and the standard of education (ie curriculum) you want your child to receive.

To be honest, for a 3 year old, and despite what I've said above, I'd suggest you put him in one of the local nurserys, such as the one mentioned earlier. At that age, it's all about learning to play together, and rudimentary relationships, more than 'pure' education.

However, once he reaches normal school age, say 5-ish, that's when your choices need to come in.

Again, as mentioned earlier, Palm House would be the most convenient in Rawai. Another option is the Montessori school, if you buy-in to their teaching ethic.

Further afield would be the closest school doing a Cambridge certified UK curriculum, HeadStart International School. Then, a bit further than that would be Kajonkiet School (a Thai school) offering an English Programme (by and large, the Thai curriculm taught in English) or their International Programme.

There are others further away, but you're talking a serious amount of time and money to get to these.

As you see, I've not made any comment as to the merits of any of these. If I did that, I could be on all day!! Suggest you google these names, read the websites, and then do some more specific research on each teaching establishment.

Edited by seaeagle

Regarding 'time willing to devote', take Chalong circle into account. IMO, pick a school on the same side of the circle as you're living, or pick a house on the same side of the circle as the school.

• Like 1