Shady Advertising By Restaurant

luckizuchinni

My wife and I like to go to English roasts for Sunday lunch/dinner. We usually go to Molly Mallones on Soi Convent, but as I was at another place on Sukhumvit the other day and saw their Sunday roast adverstising, I thought we would give it a shot today.

The advertising said this place had beef, lamb, ham, and chicken at the carvery station, and "much, much more." Well, when we got there and went up for our meat, we were told that no, they never serve ham nor chicken anymore. My wife does not eat beef, and she can't deal with rare lamb, so she was pretty much out of luck as far as meat dishes go.

I actually liked the beef and lamb, and the beef in guiness stew adn shepherd's pie were pretty good, but if we had known that the advertising was false, we never would have gone.

I asked the staff, and they said that they have to charge 750 baht to serve the ham and chicken, this despite the very clear 490 baht price tag. Add in the 125 baht for a single can of Pepsi and 70 baht for a small water, well, despite some other nice touches, it is back to Molly Malones for us.

I just am frustrated that the advertising was so blatantly a lie. I don't want to get in trouble by naming names here, but still, I think a complaint to the management or even the hotel in which they rent their facility is in order.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leaving aside the absurdly high prices for coke and water, which in themselves would be more than enough to ensure that I would never set foot in the place under any circumstances, I am more than surprised that anyone would sit down at a buffet/carvery place without first examining what was on offer.

As for paying for something that wasn't as described, it would be a cold day on Jomtien beach before any such restaurant would get any money out of me. As soon as I became aware that the prices and descriptions were inaccurate I would just walk out and that would be an end to it.

• Like 2

My wife and I like to go to English roasts for Sunday lunch/dinner. We usually go to Molly Mallones on Soi Convent, but as I was at another place on Sukhumvit the other day and saw their Sunday roast adverstising, I thought we would give it a shot today.

The advertising said this place had beef, lamb, ham, and chicken at the carvery station, and "much, much more." Well, when we got there and went up for our meat, we were told that no, they never serve ham nor chicken anymore. My wife does not eat beef, and she can't deal with rare lamb, so she was pretty much out of luck as far as meat dishes go.

I actually liked the beef and lamb, and the beef in guiness stew adn shepherd's pie were pretty good, but if we had known that the advertising was false, we never would have gone.

I asked the staff, and they said that they have to charge 750 baht to serve the ham and chicken, this despite the very clear 490 baht price tag. Add in the 125 baht for a single can of Pepsi and 70 baht for a small water, well, despite some other nice touches, it is back to Molly Malones for us.

I just am frustrated that the advertising was so blatantly a lie. I don't want to get in trouble by naming names here, but still, I think a complaint to the management or even the hotel in which they rent their facility is in order.

I feel your outrage. Do you think you will recover from this awful disaster, perhaps.

We're all rooting for you.

Leaving aside the absurdly high prices for coke and water, which in themselves would be more than enough to ensure that I would never set foot in the place under any circumstances, I am more than surprised that anyone would sit down at a buffet/carvery place without first examining what was on offer.

As for paying for something that wasn't as described, it would be a cold day on Jomtien beach before any such restaurant would get any money out of me. As soon as I became aware that the prices and descriptions were inaccurate I would just walk out and that would be an end to it.

Good point, but in this case, all the meats were covered in warming trays which opened to the back. And there were trays with flames under them, keeping them warm, which I found out later were empty. Nothing had ever been in them, nor were there plans to put anything in them

I did consider not paying for the drinks, but I did drink them, and I basically wimped out.

It's a real pity you cannot name and shame, I wonder if you would get away with saying "if I was in Sukhumvit and fancied a Sunday Roast, xxx wouldn't be my first choice".

We often go to The Londoner for our Sunday Roast, about the same price and it's carvery style, it usually has beef, lamb, pork, chicken and ham. There is also an excellent selection of soups, salad makings and starters.

Drinks are reasonably priced with 2 for 1 micro brewed beers at certain times.

I think the price is 470 Baht, hope that it's not the place you went to.

YESTERDAY i was walking past a fruit seller and stopped to get some fruit ,the wife was on the phone and didnt know i had stopped to buy something

anyway ,the fruits are 10 thb and both the thai customers payed 10 thb in front of me

annyway,i hold him out a 20 and he says 40, i said ok ,you eat it then and put the fruit back down

then he said ok ,20 and i said ,no thank you

my wife came back at this stage and heard what happened ,she said hes willing to give me the thai price now ,he misunderstood

i live here so he thought i should get the farang price

i said ,im not willing to pay any price now and walked on with the fruit seller cursing farangs + waving his arms around

som nom na

• Like 2

It's a real pity you cannot name and shame, I wonder if you would get away with saying "if I was in Sukhumvit and fancied a Sunday Roast, xxx wouldn't be my first choice".

We often go to The Londoner for our Sunday Roast, about the same price and it's carvery style, it usually has beef, lamb, pork, chicken and ham. There is also an excellent selection of soups, salad makings and starters.

No, it was not the Londoner. This place is fairly well-known and is in the basement of a large hotel near the Nana BTS. (I hope I have not gone too far in naming and shaming.)

I need to try the Londoner, though, if you say it is good. We like Molly Malones, but sometimes, you want a bit of variety.

Cheap buffet makes it's money on drinks shocker ! shock1.gifshock1.gifshock1.gif

... and it is in a skanky tourist area so most of the customers will not even be in Thailand next Sunday

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

No, it was not the Londoner. This place is fairly well-known and is in the basement of a large hotel near the Nana BTS. (I hope I have not gone too far in naming and shaming.)

I need to try the Londoner, though, if you say it is good. We like Molly Malones, but sometimes, you want a bit of variety.

The Londoner seems very popular with foreigners and Thai alike. I don't drink beer, and the cider was overpriced, with a nice 7% vat surprise on top of the stated menu price. thumbsup.gif. Im sure in the fine print it sated that somwehere.

I don't blame anybody for being annoyed about false advertising. But let's please have reactions appropriate to each case.

Here's my example: Extended part of my Thai family bought a new house and were shopping for air conditioners. They had already decided to buy 'Inverter; techcnology only.

They found what appeared to be a quite good price at an XX shop (showroom of the actual manufacturing company) in a major upmarket shopping complex. All the models on display had lots of advertising stickers etc, including stickers with the word 'Inverter'.

The sales documentation was completed, but not signed, but suddenly the husband asked the question 'These models on special price are 'Inverter'?

The sales supervisor gave a sharp answer 'no'! Husband pointed at the stickers which said 'Inverter'.

Sales supervisor basically said (all in Thai of course) 'so what'.

Sale cancelled. Shop staff very angry, husband explains that he believed he was buying 'Inverter' because they all have 'Inverter' stickers and that's it's false advertsing.

Staff simply cannot understand his point. No sale.

Edited by scorecard

YESTERDAY i was walking past a fruit seller and stopped to get some fruit ,the wife was on the phone and didnt know i had stopped to buy something

anyway ,the fruits are 10 thb and both the thai customers payed 10 thb in front of me

annyway,i hold him out a 20 and he says 40, i said ok ,you eat it then and put the fruit back down

my wife came back at this stage and heard what happened ,she said hes willing to give me the thai price now ,he misunderstood

i said ,im not willing to pay any price now and walked on with the fruit seller cursing farangs + waving his arms around

som nom na

The Thai customers weren't linguistically challenged. Maybe you are?

If I were selling to immigrants in the UK and they couldn't order an apple or whatever in English, I'd charge them double.

Londoner seems very popular with foreigners and Thai alike. I don't drink beer, and the cider was overpriced, with a nice 7% vat surprise on top of the stated menu price.

Im sure in the fine print it sated that somwehere.

I do agree that they have a very diverse customer base.

I like the fact that, unlike many places,they don't put ++ after their prices, yes they do add the VAT and they print the fact on the bottom of every page, to be fair to them I don't think it's really in the small print, but they don't add a service charge.

Edited by theoldgit

som nom na

I just love the way it's always the farangs fault when we call them on their BS. Amazing how a Thai that does not speak any Angrit become fluent in every western curse word in the book.

I did consider not paying for the drinks, but I did drink them, and I basically wimped out.

Having drunk the drinks it would not be reasonable to refuse to pay for them (assuming that the drinks prices were as advertised and that they did indeed taste like coke or water or whatever).

Personally I would have paid for the drinks but not the meal, but of course you do still have to refuse it before having eaten it.

Ah, Bendix, most acerbic as usual. Your downplayed sarcasm is always welcomed in any thread.

If you did read my post, I wrote I was "frustrated," but you chose to elevate that to "outrage."

To be honest, I am hoping enough people will recognize the place and decide not to go there as there are better options available. But if you want me to play the outrage card, well, OK. "Darn that horrible restaurant! I am scarred for life! I should sue them for every single baht they have and ever will have!!!!!!!!!!"

(Does that make you feel better? I always want to please. smile.png )

I think you misread the pricing guidelines.

May I divert your attention to a thread (dated 2009, three years ago) called Best Sunday Roast in Bangkok, post number 68, which deals directly with the buffet you are talking about and which was priced then at 650bht. I would suggest it's more likely it's gone up in price to 750 in that time,rather than down to 490.

May I divert your attention to a thread (dated 2009, three years ago) called Best Sunday Roast in Bangkok, post number 68, which deals directly with the buffet you are talking about and which was priced then at 650bht. I would suggest it's more likely it's gone up in price to 750 in that time,rather than down to 490.

I think you have wasted some of your valuable time trawling through the old threads.

The price was 650 Baht back in 2009, but the OP is correct with the new price of 490.

The previous manager was trying to increase trade so went to see the competition.

As a result of his research the price was reduced from 650 to 490 Baht and they removed a lot of the ancillary dishes that were not being eaten, they did retain the full carvery meat selection.

The old manager returned to a job in the UK, and the new management seems to have cut down on the meat selection seemingly to retain the lower price.

Edited by theoldgit
  • Like 1

I think you have wasted some of your valuable time trawling through the old threads.

The price was 650 Baht back in 2009, but the OP is correct with the new price of 490.

The previous manager was trying to increase trade so went to see the competition.

As a result of his research the price was reduced from 650 to 490 Baht and they removed a lot of the ancillary dishes that were not being eaten, they did retain the full carvery meat selection.

The old manager returned to a job in the UK, and the new management seems to have cut down on the meat selection seemingly to retain the lower price.

Oh. Really?

http://restaurant-bangkok.com/pub_the-huntsman.php

Oh. Really?

http://restaurant-bangkok.com/pub_the-huntsman.php

Yes really.

That's a third part review website, and they are wrong.

The price is 490 Baht.

Ring The Landmark and get back to us, 02 254 0404.

Oh. Really?

http://restaurant-ba...he-huntsman.php

Yes really.

That's a third part review website, and they are wrong.

The price is 490 Baht.

Ring The Landmark and get back to us, 02 254 0404.

No need mate . . the OP already confirmed that the price of the Sunday buffet including chicken and ham is 750 baht.

The Thai customers weren't linguistically challenged. Maybe you are?

If I were selling to immigrants in the UK and they couldn't order an apple or whatever in English, I'd charge them double.

Then I hope you get charged double for everything you pay for in Thailand. Xenophobes like you have no place being out of your own Country, so what are you doing here?

Then I hope you get charged double for everything you pay for in Thailand. Xenophobes like you have no place being out of your own Country, so what are you doing here?

Nothing to do with xenophobia, I'm sure he'd also defraud his fellow countrymen when he sees he can get away with it - equal opportunity con artist.