I Seem To Have Little Tolerance For Alcohol Now.

giddyup

I'll be turning 70 shortly, (if I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of my teeth), but I digress. I now seem to have very little tolerance for alcohol. I used to love going out and having a few beers, usually six or seven would be about normal, but now any more than three and I'll feel the effects the next day. I also don't sleep as well if I have three beers, the GF says I jump around in my sleep. I remember my father having the same problem when he was my age now, so maybe it's heriditary. Yet I know guys who are a decade older than me and still seem to be able to knock back a six pack regularly. Who knew that being an involuntary teetotaller would be so hard?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, body chemistry changes as you get older.

The autoimmune system and allergies are areas of human health that modern science has barely scratched, and these are very much tied in with physically addictive (potentially, not for all) substances like alcohol.

I would advise you to turn this into a positive and voluntarily kick the habit if you can, you may well enjoy your last few decades much more so than you would otherwise.

If you can't, and the problem is coming via the digestive process, some people find alcohol enemas give fewer side effects. Start with low dosages as it's absorbed faster from the rectum directly into the bloodstream, very easy to die from alkie poisoning if you overdo it. Say 2-3 oz diluted to 10% to start. Some people use straight wine or beer.

Can be a fun kink if you get your SO a white nurses uniform!

But as I said better from most POV to just kick the habit, if you need help lots of AA groups around, great people. . .

Yes, body chemistry changes as you get older.

The autoimmune system and allergies are areas of human health that modern science has barely scratched, and these are very much tied in with physically addictive (potentially, not for all) substances like alcohol.

I would advise you to turn this into a positive and voluntarily kick the habit if you can, you may well enjoy your last few decades much more so than you would otherwise.

If you can't, and the problem is coming via the digestive process, some people find alcohol enemas give fewer side effects. Start with low dosages as it's absorbed faster from the rectum directly into the bloodstream, very easy to die from alkie poisoning if you overdo it. Say 2-3 oz diluted to 10% to start. Some people use straight wine or beer.

Can be a fun kink if you get your SO a white nurses uniform!

But as I said better from most POV to just kick the habit, if you need help lots of AA groups around, great people. . .

I'll stick to the coffee colonics thanks. Seriously, I've never been a particularly heavy drinker, certainly not an alcoholic, had the odd binge or three when I was younger, but could go days if not weeks at a time without giving it a nudge, but Thailand as you know, lends itself to social drinking, so going out and having a Coke or Fanta just isn't the same.

I'll stick to the coffee colonics thanks. Seriously, I've never been a particularly heavy drinker, certainly not an alcoholic, had the odd binge or three when I was younger, but could go days if not weeks at a time without giving it a nudge, but Thailand as you know, lends itself to social drinking, so going out and having a Coke or Fanta just isn't the same.

Ah misunderstood as a hard-core alkie myself.

Up to you of course if the pleasure outweighs the pain.

Try eating a good solid meal first, starting off with soft drinks (I'm partial to soda manao - no salt myself) and then alternating. If it's a long night, maybe 1 beer for each soft. Or shandies?

I recognize the OP's situation, being only a year or two behind him. But I think at least part of the problem is the gassed-up chemical stuff that passes for beer in this part of the world. I, too, feel a bit off after a session of 6 or so tins or small bottles here, but am looking forward in a couple of weeks time to supping two or three pints (the equivalent volume) of real English bitter and feeling fine afterwards. Of course, it's not quite the equivalent volume of alcohol, as most of the fizz here is 5%, while I usually look for a bitter around 4%.

"Turning 70", "my gf says". rolleyes.gif

Sorry, this means what?

Some people think getting old means you should deny yourself all such life's pleasures. Silly fools. . .

It's not a question of denying but whether it's still enjoyable or has too much of an adverse effect.

I recognize the OP's situation, being only a year or two behind him. But I think at least part of the problem is the gassed-up chemical stuff that passes for beer in this part of the world. I, too, feel a bit off after a session of 6 or so tins or small bottles here, but am looking forward in a couple of weeks time to supping two or three pints (the equivalent volume) of real English bitter and feeling fine afterwards. Of course, it's not quite the equivalent volume of alcohol, as most of the fizz here is 5%, while I usually look for a bitter around 4%.

Maybe I should try Samsong and a mix instead of beer. Never put it down to the beer because I'm not fussy about which brand I drink. I've tried them all, Leo, Chang, Heineken, Singa etc, they all have the same effect, ie make me feel seedy.

Sorry, this means what?

Some people think getting old means you should deny yourself all such life's pleasures. Silly fools. . .

It's not a question of denying but whether it's still enjoyable or has too much of an adverse effect.

Odd ; - )

one of the symptoms of alcoholism is an increasing capacity for alcohol. This is followed by a decreasing capacity for alcohol as your liver starts going to hell. I haven't got there yet- my father was a 8 pint a day man and lived until he was 83. Prost!

one of the symptoms of alcoholism is an increasing capacity for alcohol. This is followed by a decreasing capacity for alcohol as your liver starts going to hell. I haven't got there yet- my father was a 8 pint a day man and lived until he was 83. Prost!

Hope not everything is going to hell ; - )

Well he's made it this far. Question is will you or do you even want to ?

I always say, it's better than the alternative. When you'e 40 or 50 you think 70 is ancient, but you'll be surprised how quickly it comes around, and believe me when you're 70 you are still 22 inside.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1

I always say, it's better than the alternative. When you'e 40 or 50 you think 70 is ancient, but you'll be surprised how quickly it comes around, and believe me when you're 70 you are still 22 inside.

:)

Sorry giddyup ... I jumped in here reading the title as

"I Seem To Have Little Tolerance For Alcoholics Now"

I have no problems with them, as long as they don't ask me to buy them a beer.

smile.png

Well I'm 76 now, and my inside is a lot more than 22 nowadays, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying life, au contraire !!!

Yermaneewai.gif

Sorry, this means what?

I was trying to point out that at the age of 70, one doesn't have a girlfriend. A wife or a 'rent a lady'. But not a gf.

Sorry, this means what?

I was trying to point out that at the age of 70, one doesn't have a girlfriend. A wife or a 'rent a lady'. But not a gf.

Really? Must have missed the memo on that one. When exactly is the age cutoff for girlfiend? and if you are trying to point something out you might do it in a less vague way.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1

I may have been 22 inside ten years ago, but by now have gotten down to 15. I hope I don't hit prepubescence soon.

Never heard of that myself. Wouldn't it depend more on the age of the girl rather than her sponsor?

Really? Must have missed the memo on that one. When exactly is the age cutoff for girlfiend? and if you are trying to point something out you might do it in a less vague way.

69... or is it 96?

Sorry, I'm getting too old to remember...

When exactly is the age cutoff for girlfiend?

Maybe the word girl in girlfriend or boy in boyfriend should give you a clue. smile.png

You seem to be ignoring the legendary age gap that exists between elderly farangs and their 'other halves'