India To Open Super Highway To Burma And Thailand

India plans to open a new motorway that will allow access to Burma, Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam in hopes of creating a new economic zone. The plan to build the economic zone was previously difficult due to international sanctions on Burma.

http://india.nydailynews.com/newsarticle/4fc50cc2a78e19a974000000/india-to-open-super-highway-to-burma-and-thailand

India plans to open a new motorway that will allow access to Burma, Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam.

"The idea is that you can get in a car or bus and drive to Bangkok from Guwahati. Burma was the hurdle, but now it has opened up, thanks to the Americans. It marks a great opening of a new economic zone," he said.

he did however not mention how many reincarnations are required in order to use the motorway from India to Viet Nam via Thailand and Cambodia.

laugh.png

from the article linked by the OP:

"The new "trilateral highway" is aimed at creating a new economic zone ranging from Calcutta on the Bay of Bengal to Ho Chi Minh City on the South China Sea."

Interesting that nowhere is it mentioned that they have to cross Bangladesh too. It sounds great but I don't think they've checked the maps yet.

"Mohan Guruswamy of the New Delhi-based Center for Policy Alternatives, said a two lane highway connecting the Indian border to Mandalay, 375 miles away, had already been built, and the next phases will be to broaden it to a four-lane road and extend it a further 375 miles to Rangoon."

There's already a new road from Mandalay to Yangon. I haven't heard anything about the road west out of Mandalay to the Indian border. if that already exists, that's great. I'll be in Mandalay in July and should make for some interesting exploring, but I'm not counting on finding a highway.

But in order for any of this to become reality, the Myanmar govt will first have to open up the land borders. Despite all the talk about govt reforms and "democracy", they still have closed borders.

from the article linked by the OP:

"The new "trilateral highway" is aimed at creating a new economic zone ranging from Calcutta on the Bay of Bengal to Ho Chi Minh City on the South China Sea."

Interesting that nowhere is it mentioned that they have to cross Bangladesh too. It sounds great but I don't think they've checked the maps yet.

"Mohan Guruswamy of the New Delhi-based Center for Policy Alternatives, said a two lane highway connecting the Indian border to Mandalay, 375 miles away, had already been built, and the next phases will be to broaden it to a four-lane road and extend it a further 375 miles to Rangoon."

There's already a new road from Mandalay to Yangon. I haven't heard anything about the road west out of Mandalay to the Indian border. if that already exists, that's great. I'll be in Mandalay in July and should make for some interesting exploring, but I'm not counting on finding a highway.

But in order for any of this to become reality, the Myanmar govt will first have to open up the land borders. Despite all the talk about govt reforms and "democracy", they still have closed borders.

they don't have to cross the Bangla Desh swamps as India has a thousand mile border with Myanmar.

Does anybody know of a nation that has been able to switch the side of the road on which they drive? It would seem to be a nearly impossible undertaking.

Sweden 1967 and Nigeria early 70s

Does anybody know of a nation that has been able to switch the side of the road on which they drive? It would seem to be a nearly impossible undertaking.

Was easy considering they had about 10 cars between them. :rolleyes:

Was easy considering they had about 10 cars between them. rolleyes.gif

don't forget the big cities with 11 cars "between them" tongue.png

• Like 1

In the days when Burma was part of the British Empire they used to drive on the proper side of the road - and they changed to the wrong side in the 70's? Thailand also drives on the correct side of the road. In India they drive in the middle, so it will not mattter at the border.

The French influence in Vietnam must have caused them to drive on the wrong side of the road?

Edited by Familyonthemove
  • Like 1

In the days when Burma was part of the British Empire they used to drive on the proper side of the road - and they changed to the wrong side in the 70's? Thailand also drives on the correct side of the road. In India they drive in the middle, so it will not mattter at the border.

The French influence in Vietnam must have caused them to drive on the wrong side of the road?

please elaborate your oxymoron claim why the right side is the wrong side w00t.gif is it based on the British thinking "right or wrong... my country" ? huh.png

for the record: the majority of vehicles on this planet drive on the (correct) right side. exceptions like India, Thailand and a few other countries (mostly insignificant remote islands) laugh.png drive on the (wrong) left side.

• Like 2

please elaborate your oxymoron claim why the right side is the wrong side w00t.gif is it based on the British thinking "right or wrong... my country" ? huh.png

for the record: the majority of vehicles on this planet drive on the (correct) right side. exceptions like India, Thailand and a few other countries (mostly insignificant remote islands) laugh.png drive on the (wrong) left side.

You obviously include Japan as one of the "insignificant remote islands"

you obviously overlooked my laugh.png

australia too ?

India is soon to be the most populous country in the world - and they drive on the proper side of the road.

History shows why the way the Brits, Indians, Japanese, Thais and Australians, malaysians etc are using the correct side of the road. Roads were originally built for horses, and people used to wear swords. Most people are right handed, so the sword is worn on the left. Try getting on your horse from the right side wearing a sword on the left and you'll soon see why horses were (and still are) mounted from the left. Motorbikes follow this lay-out - just look at your side-stand position (though not many people wear swords on motorbikes, except maybe Harley riders?).

So if you've got on your horse from the left side of the road .... you may as well carry on riding on that side.

After the French revolution they wanted to do things differently - so they decided to ride on the wrong side of the road just to be different from the Brits. So areas with a French colonial influence such as Vietnam now drive on the wrong side of the road and those with a British colonial history drive on the correct side. Thialand has never been colonised, but they made a wise choice to ride on the correct side anyway.

except maybe Harley rider love it, must buy a sword. And to think the Americans followed the French in their driving habits, poetic.

yada yada horses left, yakety-yak swords right, french revolution different bla-bla, Thailand wise choice cheesy.gif . insignificant remote islands prevail! wipe the saliva from your chin. it looks quite disgusting.

av-11672.gif

australia too ?

do they drive on the right or the wrong side in Oz? huh.png

India is soon to be the most populous country in the world - and they drive on the proper side of the road.

History shows why the way the Brits, Indians, Japanese, Thais and Australians, malaysians etc are using the correct side of the road. Roads were originally built for horses, and people used to wear swords. Most people are right handed, so the sword is worn on the left. Try getting on your horse from the right side wearing a sword on the left and you'll soon see why horses were (and still are) mounted from the left. Motorbikes follow this lay-out - just look at your side-stand position (though not many people wear swords on motorbikes, except maybe Harley riders?).

So if you've got on your horse from the left side of the road .... you may as well carry on riding on that side.

After the French revolution they wanted to do things differently - so they decided to ride on the wrong side of the road just to be different from the Brits. So areas with a French colonial influence such as Vietnam now drive on the wrong side of the road and those with a British colonial history drive on the correct side. Thialand has never been colonised, but they made a wise choice to ride on the correct side anyway.

Raw deal for leftys, I say. :(

• Like 1

This is long pending proposal & god knows when it will happen or actually it will happen.

The best thing would be for me & i know some of you must be very jealous. LOL

The proposed route suppose to hit my town & less than a day to Bangkok. I don't do road trip but sound fun.

Cheers to life.

Joined this amazing place today!