Good Quality Secure Door Lock

Longbow212

I know nothing about locks but need to make a front door as secure as possible.

It would appear someone has in some way interfered with the lock on the front door, possibly by drilling or trying to pick the lock. Therefore I would greatly appreciate any advice on door locks and other methods of securing your front door. I am guessing homepro would be the best place to go but I have no idea on brands or specifications.

Thanks

There are many different types of door, which one are you specifically enquiring about? Is the door hung or does it slide. Fitted locks or padlocks? A bit more detail is required.smile.png

Worrying story actually..

A determined or even an opportunistic thief would have got in with no problems..

I think you may need to look a bit closer to home, neighbours perhaps.

People known to the locality would need make a quiet entry because they could be recognised running away. Anybody else would put a sledgehammer through the door and hope for the best.

Until the OP volunteers some more info, we are all whistling in the wind.whistling.gif

We don't even know what sort of property this mysterious 'front door' is attached to. It might be a detached house, terrace, condo on the 19th floor or a bamboo shack in the sticks.

The suspense is unbearable...............................................................................coffee1.gif

I called a locksmith last week to one of the apartments because someone lost their key,i was absolutely fuc_king astounded at the speed the guy opened the door

a person with a key wouldnt have been much quicker ,now i know why thais have multiple locks on their doors in condo buildings

he just neeled down ,put a piece of metal in and click,it was unlocked !

Locks really only keep the honest people honest ..... and as the other poster pointed out most any lock can be picked in no time , they have lock picking guns amatures can use that open most any door lock with the pull of the trigger. If you really want to make it a little more difficult :

• Key control means the keys can't be easily copied. While typical keys can be duplicated at a hardware or retail store, key controlled locks can only be duplicated by certain locksmiths or the manufacturer of the lock.

• A deadbolt requires a key to open it. Some keys have two or more grooves, indicating that there are two or more levers in the lock. This makes it harder for a burglar to copy the key and bypass the lock. It's best to choose a deadbolt with seven or more levers, and one that is made of brass or steel

• Saw-resistant bolts can be found in some deadbolts. There are internal anti-saw pins located inside, so that when a saw is used to try and cut through the deadbolt, the pins spin back and forth with each stroke of the saw blade

• The anti-drill feature found on some lock sets means there are hardened steel chips inside which hamper attempts at drilling out a lock. These chips, installed by the manufacturer and found within the lock housing, tear up the drill bit as it works on the lock

• A bolt-assembly protector is like a collar that goes between the cylinder and the bolt assembly of a deadbolt lock. It covers the internal parts and protects the lock from being manipulated with a lock pick

• Like 1

Locks really only keep the honest people honest ..... and as the other poster pointed out most any lock can be picked in no time , they have lock picking guns amatures can use that open most any door lock with the pull of the trigger. If you really want to make it a little more difficult :

• Key control means the keys can't be easily copied. While typical keys can be duplicated at a hardware or retail store, key controlled locks can only be duplicated by certain locksmiths or the manufacturer of the lock.

• A deadbolt requires a key to open it. Some keys have two or more grooves, indicating that there are two or more levers in the lock. This makes it harder for a burglar to copy the key and bypass the lock. It's best to choose a deadbolt with seven or more levers, and one that is made of brass or steel

• Saw-resistant bolts can be found in some deadbolts. There are internal anti-saw pins located inside, so that when a saw is used to try and cut through the deadbolt, the pins spin back and forth with each stroke of the saw blade

• The anti-drill feature found on some lock sets means there are hardened steel chips inside which hamper attempts at drilling out a lock. These chips, installed by the manufacturer and found within the lock housing, tear up the drill bit as it works on the lock

• A bolt-assembly protector is like a collar that goes between the cylinder and the bolt assembly of a deadbolt lock. It covers the internal parts and protects the lock from being manipulated with a lock pick

No no, an informative post. Aren't you aware that somebody will come in now and tell you that you are wrong? Run to the hills....

On another note and personal level "Thank you".

No no, an informative post. Aren't you aware that somebody will come in now and tell you that you are wrong? Run to the hills....

Of he his wrong....none of this cr*p will stop a thief if said thief turns up with C4 and blows the door.....dont you watch Mythbusters man...!!!!....thumbsup.gif

Of he his wrong....none of this cr*p will stop a thief if said thief turns up with C4 and blows the door.....dont you watch Mythbusters man...!!!!....thumbsup.gif

Or if solid wood door a few sharp blows with a 10kg sledge hammer will have it split down the centre in a timely manner.

Edited by Spoonman

Or if solid wood door a few sharp blows with a 10kg sledge hammer will have it split down the centre in a timely manner.

I am sure all the EX-SAS and Navy seals will along shortly to tell us how its done properly...biggrin.png

I am sure all the EX-SAS and Navy seals will along shortly to tell us how its done properly...biggrin.png

Det cord around the door perimeter ?

Det cord around the door perimeter ?

Drill a hole in the ceiling from the condo above, fill said condo with water and introduce a small quantity of C4 into water and dentonate...percussive wave in the water will blow the door off its hinges...biggrin.png .....too much ??

Nah, one karate kick and it will fly off it's hinges. Don't you watch TV?

Edited by giddyup

Thanks for the responses.

The door is solid wood, decent quality by Thai standards of doors I have seen. The locks are fitted and its a condo.

Why don't you put a steel security door on the outside, then you can leave the wooden door open for better air flow.

• Like 2

Drill a hole in the ceiling from the condo above, fill said condo with water and introduce a small quantity of C4 into water and dentonate...percussive wave in the water will blow the door off its hinges...biggrin.png .....too much ??

Needs to be done !!

• Like 1

I could, but I would need to kill you after that. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

dont bother with a lock get a bangkhew.

I got two of those but believe they are called bangkaew. But they do have their own setbacks. You have to pet them and they require dog food to function.

On condo's i have often see a kind of cover that goes over the lock and that is padlocked then.

dont bother with a lock get a bangkhew.

I got two of those but believe they are called bangkaew. But they do have their own setbacks. You have to pet them and they require dog food to function.

On condo's i have often see a kind of cover that goes over the lock and that is padlocked then.

there is one by me[bangkaew]who i feed most days as his owners work away,the wife has to call him while i put his food under the gate i tell you this i am glad there is a lock on the gate.

There are several top brands of door locks available in Thailand. Brands that are VERY careful about who can obtain a key copy. Note the brand of door lock at your Embassy, perhaps Medeco. You can buy Medeco in Thailand. Or Mul T Lock which even some chain Hardware stores sell. This company often has a display / sales booth at the better "home Shows" in Bangkok. http://www.vtc.co.th/en/about_us.php They have a showroom near Fortunetown on Rama 9. There are qualified lock installers in Bangkok. Assa Alboy might be worth checking out. Medeco has been top rated as the #1 residential door lock in Consumer Reports Magazine for several years.

Needs to be done !!

Mythbusters did something similar with a safe and blew the door off....must say I was highly impressed...w00t.gif ...but think supersizing this and blowing a condo door off would be really impressive...and could write into Mythbusters and say.."f*kc you Jamie & Adam...beat that"

Unless hidden from view time is the thief's worst enemy.

I'm thinking the first thing would be to have a second deadbolt installed that way at least they would have to spend twice as much time! Anti-Drill is what you are looking for Yale makes them. I would think HomePro has something similar as this will not be a problem unique to you.

More expensive. A mechanical keypad lock they have something like 7 digit codes. But if you door is around a corner I guess they could sit there for hours with a Suduko-like crib sheet trying all possible permutations.

Cheapest. If you have a round door knob simply stick one of those door knob protectors and a padlock, looks naff but works. Again more time needed. Also works if you replace it and shut the door from the inside. Bit of a PIA if you return with armfuls of groceries but...

Door%20Knob.jpg

Shure you can attack it with a big hammer but that draws attention.

Edited by VocalNeal