Chronic Diseases Kill 75 Percent Of Thais

webfact

The Nation article fails to mention that 100% of people will die. The question implied by the article then becomes how can we toss in the towel for the least cost. The answer is, of course, die as soon as possible, thereby avoiding the medical and related costs which would have accumulated over the years of a longer life. Die young, folks - it saves money.

Have you seen the movie "in Time"? Scary stuff, things in store to curb the population explosion perhaps.

• Like 1

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Noncommunicable chronic diseases (NCDs) were spreading and claimed 35 million lives in 2005, many from 3069 years of age and 80 per cent of them in developing and underdeveloped countries.

3069 years of age........

He said these diseases cause immense losses - 41 million people will die from them in the next three years.

Only about 20 million left.........

Southeast Asian countries would make up the Asean Community in 2015 under the theme "One Vision, One Identity, One Community, One Disease for all."

coffee1.gifIs it already April's fools day????

Sent with buffalo echolot technology

Looks like you are deliberately chosing not to understand the message, unless of course you haven't read the orginal news report. As you well know it's a typo and 3069 years of age should read 30 to 69 years of age and that's across the 10 countries in the report

Also note that the WHO classifies obesity as a chronic disease, one that is increasing rapidly in Thailand.

I got that. Cost me a fortune to get it.

That's interesting as most obese people are poor people eating the cheapest foods.

Also note that the WHO classifies obesity as a chronic disease, one that is increasing rapidly in Thailand.

I have terminal oenophilia

Sent from my dog.

"He said these diseases cause immense losses - 41 million people will die from them in the next three years."

He's saying that 60% of the population of Thailand will die in the next 3 years? Where do these clowns come from?

THAILAND ??????????????

A lot of cancers are linked to industrial pollution in the water and the air. They could start by working on water security and delivery, and the monitoring and regulation of air-quality.

Good point.

"For the measures to succeed laws must be passed and taxes imposed on unhealthy products, like cigarettes and alcoholic drinks; standards for food and health products set; and products that promote health such as organic vegetables and gyms must be encouraged..."

The manufacture of cigaretts and sone alcoholic driks in Thailand are by the government. We all know about the Thai Tobacco Manopoly, which is the only manufacturer of cigaretts.

I think the goal of "organic" vegetables is a bit ambitious. Start with the basics! Reduce highly processed foods, high fat foods, deep fried in palm oil foods, white rice, etc. Yes more fruit and veg but starting with "organic" is rather elitist for a country like Thailand (or maybe ANY country).

• Like 1

That's interesting as most obese people are poor people eating the cheapest foods.

I see no lack of middle class and above also enjoying obesity. Research done at KFC, Burger King, McDonalds. You can go to them near Siam Square and see obese Chula students as well.

In my exerience, few Thai's exercise or like to exercise. The national sport being corruption.

It's a bit embarrassing to constantly read remarks from people that chose to live in Thailand but spend all there time knocking it. If this country is that bad, that you have to make fun of it's people, health and governments all the time, maybe it's time you moved on. Or at least come up with something more contructive than one liners that are derogatory.

• Like 1

Other day 3 obese male children in student uniforms boarded the MRT. They had wheeled luggage (like airplane carry ons) assumedly for books. They were loaded with energy, playing, yelling. Seeming tired adults stood up and gave them their seats.

If anything these kids need to be standing and moving, need exercise, but instead tired adults that may have worked a full day stand. IMO this teaches children to be lazy in the future. A parent with an infant though deserves a break and a seat.

Edited by atyclb

"He said these diseases cause immense losses - 41 million people will die from them in the next three years."

He's saying that 60% of the population of Thailand will die in the next 3 years? Where do these clowns come from?

Chronic diseases kill 75 per cent of Thais

Well lets hope the 25% that is left are good looking sexy females, fun times aheadbiggrin.png

It's a bit embarrassing to constantly read remarks from people that chose to live in Thailand but spend all there time knocking it. If this country is that bad, that you have to make fun of it's people, health and governments all the time, maybe it's time you moved on. Or at least come up with something more contructive than one liners that are derogatory.

Maybe stop reading then as we all know how painful being embarrassed is ...coffee1.gif

Seriously, people post as they like and live where they like, what's the problem with free speech?

• Like 2

Don't be so stupid. That's the figure for the whole world. The figure for Thailand was 60,000 in 2009. Why do people who aren't able to read and comprehend an article bother commenting on it. Go back to school.

I've been riding the ferry boats in Bangkok recently, and on every trip saw at least three or four Thais reading, in some cases actual thick books, not just newspapers and magazines.

Sure lower levels than other countries, but let's stop saying "Thais don't read".

I've been riding the ferry boats in Bangkok recently, and on every trip saw at least three or four Thais reading, in some cases actual thick books, not just newspapers and magazines.

Sure lower levels than other countries, but let's stop saying "Thais don't read".

My first post is in appreciation of how "Be Honest" gets his point across. Short message, STRONG point, and said politely. I hope to meet people like you when I move there next month.

Not much different than the west. The CDC predicts by 2030 42% of Americans will be obese. (BMI > 30), and 18% morbidly obese (BMI > 40). Poor diets, poor exercise habits are part of the story, and these we can do something about. But when babies are now born with about 75 man made chemicals in there bodies, several of them carcinogenic, the odds are stacked against the next generation. I believe along with "peak oil" and "peak gold", we have probably seen "peak longevity", or it is just around the corner. It is probably only a short time by evolutionary standards before we see "peak population". We are in the midst of a giant chemistry experiment (among other experiments), and most of the species will ultimately fail. There are partial solutions available but our bodies will take so much abuse, they have tricked us into thinking we are indestructible. No-one acts until there is a crisis, at which time it is often too late. Most of the educated human race acts as if it has a death wish.

The Nation article fails to mention that 100% of people will die. The question implied by the article then becomes how can we toss in the towel for the least cost. The answer is, of course, die as soon as possible, thereby avoiding the medical and related costs which would have accumulated over the years of a longer life. Die young, folks - it saves money.

Have you seen the movie "in Time"? Scary stuff, things in store to curb the population explosion perhaps.

Soylent (spelling ?) Green also comes to mind, where the dead are put to good use??

jb1

Edited by jimbeam1

I have a 2 liner for ya :=)

I like your way of thinking and hope to meet people like you when I move there next month!

A lot of cancers are linked to industrial pollution in the water and the air. They could start by working on water security and delivery, and the monitoring and regulation of air-quality.

food hygien and being free from chemicles at the point of sale may help too , i bought some fruit from a pick-up yesterday and was suprised to find i was also the poud owner of several insects and 2 slugs,probably'' high'' on insectorsides........not given them names yet , was thinking of ''stinky and dirty '',........open to other suggestions though , they're so cute

Other day 3 obese male children in student uniforms boarded the MRT. They had wheeled luggage (like airplane carry ons) assumedly for books. They were loaded with energy, playing, yelling. Seeming tired adults stood up and gave them their seats.

If anything these kids need to be standing and moving, need exercise, but instead tired adults that may have worked a full day stand. IMO this teaches children to be lazy in the future. A parent with an infant though deserves a break and a seat.

when i was living in isaan a few years back, my nieghbour would use his ''motorcyc'' to cross the road to the 7/11 , about 25 meters away , i rarely see thais walking anywhere except to get in a taxi or on one , their obsession with keeping out of the sun to be as white as poss has gone beyond a joke , personally i prefer my wife to have a nice tan , those sickly , ghostly white japanese and chinese types look like ghosts or like they are infected with HIV to me .

Edited by osiboy

3 or 4 - THAT many? Wow! Could you express that as a percentage?

Sent from my Cray XT5-HE laptop computer

Actually the problem is the reading material that is available. My ex ended up buying translated copies of of Western books, due to the lack of choice.

Having said that, comics seem to be the thing for a lot of them!

I'm afraid that DIET is the big killer here. Processed foods, white bread, white rice. white potatoes, sugar, sugar replacements (other than stevia), cakes, pastries, biscuits along with the bad fats and oils they are drowned in is responsible for the rapid increase in type 2 diabetes, coronary heart disease and strokes, nowadays. This allied to peoples sedentary lifestyles is a recipe for health disaster and until people can take this onboard and act on it then nothing will change!!!

Smoking clearly exacerbates the situation and causes lung disease and respiratory disorders but this and alcohol are not such big players in this particular health time-bomb.

I'm afraid that DIET is the big killer here. Processed foods, white bread, white rice. white potatoes, sugar, sugar replacements (other than stevia), cakes, pastries, biscuits along with the bad fats and oils they are drowned in is responsible for the rapid increase in type 2 diabetes, coronary heart disease and strokes, nowadays. This allied to peoples sedentary lifestyles is a recipe for health disaster and until people can take this onboard and act on it then nothing will change!!!

Smoking clearly exacerbates the situation and causes lung disease and respiratory disorders but this and alcohol are not such big players in this particular health time-bomb.

Yes, you are talking about what scientists call the modern obesenegenic environment and modern Thailand has that in spades. Contrary to popular belief, it is not only about imported western fast foods which are actually a luxury item for poor Thais. Many modern Thai foods, such as the notorious MAMA NOODLES are highly processed, high fat, as well. How to deal with this? Not easy. Education. Poverty relief (with the idealistic hope that more educated monied people will make healthier choices on their own, but good luck with that!). But then you get into Nanny state issues such as forcing food producers to push different and healthy cheap foods. Whether you accept the WHO label of obesity in itself as a DISEASE or not, the fact that obesity is directly related with the biggest modern killers, cancer, diabetes, and heart disease can't be denied. Edited by Jingthing

The Nation daily circulation is between 60-80,000, we don't have to worry that many Thai's will have read it and will panic over the alarming number of people that will die in the next three years!

I teach English to adults and I always ask new students what they read, most DO NOT read anything but the paper and most don't read that. None, so far, have ever claimed to read a NOVEL. Some claim to read text books and some claim to read the little magazine like comic books. So in my informal poll 99% of Thai's don't read. They know how to, they just choose not to.

I teach English to adults and I always ask new students what they read, most DO NOT read anything but the paper and most don't read that. None, so far, have ever claimed to read a NOVEL. Some claim to read text books and some claim to read the little magazine like comic books. So in my informal poll 99% of Thai's don't read. They know how to, they just choose not to.

That reminds me of a line an American comedian uses in his act. He walks into a coffee shop in a hick town and the waitress comes over and asks:

WHY are you reading?

(not WHAT are you reading)

Maybe a stereotype but here it is: in Thai popular culture those who read too much (anything like a real book?) are seen as "serious" people and that is mai sanuk, so that is not valued highly here

Edited by Jingthing