Manchester United

redrus

don't underestimate AY, when I see a player with enough threat to soak up 2x defenders then he's doing a good job but always heavily marked same with Valencia and VP, MU is hard to defend against with so many options and when they throw WR into the pot who is always on the move and difficult to tie down - well 15 points speak for themselves

What I've noticed this season is the quality football coming from all the teams right to the bottom

Are you going to tell us which player you are talking about? Bale perhaps? biggrin.png

I must admit if Bale leaves Spurs, I don't want him to go to United. He's class without a doubt and if City can't have him, I want him out of the Prem.

He's Madrid bound. Wouldn't be surprised if he's plays one more season in the prem though.

Wayne Rooney: Unfulfilled talent and past his best?

by henryjackson on February 25, 2013 soccerlens.com

When 16 year old Wayne Rooney scored

against Arsenal in 2002, he was being lauded as the most exciting young player on the planet. He was going to be the man who would win England the World Cup, be the best player in the world and be the finest footballer ever to represent his country.

rooney.jpg

Just over a decade later, though, and Rooney has not lived up to these expectations and, in the eyes of many lately, is arguably past his peak.

At 27, Wayne Rooney should be in his absolute prime, but he seems to have lost a slight edge to his game these days. The genius that he once possessed and produced on a regular basis has now been replaced by a ruthless efficiency on the pitch.

When in the past he would’ve attempted to run at and beat three defenders he now looks happier playing the easy ball.

He used to be at the top of many people’s lists when it came to players you would pay to see play in the Premier League, but he is nowhere near as exciting, or effective, as players like Robin Van Persie, Luis Suarez and Gareth Bale now.

It is important you realise this does not mean Rooney is not still a terrific footballer. He remains one of the best players in the Premier League and one of England’s key men on his day.

My point is that, considering how special he once looked, he should be THE best player in the league and one of the top five in the world. The harsh reality is that there are many players out there better than Rooney currently.

RVP-Rooney-e1361799486758.jpg

At Old Trafford, Rooney is very much playing second fiddle to Van Persie, who has won United many games this season. Although Rooney has a likeable hunger for the game and an excellent team ethic, he also has a sizeable ego and it will hurt to see someone else be the key man at the club rather than himself.

A perfect way to look at how Rooney’s career has failed to reach quite the level many predicted is looking at the progress of Cristiano Ronaldo. Nine months apart in age, there was a time in the mid 2000s when Rooney was rated higher than the Portuguese superstar.

Since then, Ronaldo has become one of the greatest players to have played the game, while Rooney has never really threatened greatness. Again it must be reiterated that it’s being extra harsh because of what we all expected from Rooney.

As mentioned earlier, this is not to say Rooney has not been, and still is, a superb player. He will go on to win well over 100 caps for England and will break both of Sir Bobby Charlton’s goalscoring records for England and Manchester United. For most players that would represent a pretty special career, but not with Rooney.

The great players do consistently great things in big games, and Rooney’s displays in major finals have been disappointing. Apart from the goal against Barcelona in the 2011 Champions League final he has offered little else in matches he has been billed as the star in.

The famous bicycle kick against Manchester City aside, which was an incredible goal, what has Rooney done in the last two years to get you off the edge of your seat?

Rooney-Bicycle-Kick.jpg

I know there will be heaps of United fans leaping to Rooney’s defence, saying what an underrated team player he is, and how he has sacrificed his genius for the good of the side, but that is an easy way out. He should be able to do both.

In terms of his peak, personally I think Rooney hit it in 2010. He scored 34 goals that season and was sensational throughout. His displays helped win his side the Premier League title and the Carling Cup.

Interestingly, this was at a time between Ronaldo leaving and Van Persie arriving, which perhaps suggests Rooney revelled in the role as main man at Old Trafford.

Another negative in Rooney’s career have been his displays for England. He has scored 33 goals in 79 caps to date, which is solid but unspectacular, and his performances in major tournaments have been awful.

Rooney-Red.jpg

Apart from Euro 2004, when he burst onto the scene as an 18 year old, he has offered very little. In 2006, he was forgettable and ending up getting sent off in a crucial game; in 2010, he looked like a pub player and at last year’s Euro’s he missed the first two games through suspension and did very little when he did play, barring a header from a yard out against Ukraine.

Saying Wayne Rooney is past his best is certainly not saying he is finished. Of course, he still has lots to offer, and he will remain an important player at Old Trafford for many years.

For all I know he could be about to hit his peak over the next a couple of years and his recent decline could be down to form. I don’t get that impression at the moment though.

Like Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes, he is someone who loves nothing more than having the ball at his feet, and he could potentially still play for another decade. The key point is, when he eventually hangs up his boots will he have reached the heights that his many admirers predicted on that memorable day back in 2002.

I’m not so sure.

redrus

Nani out Ronnie in?

February 26, 2013 By soccersweep

Oh it’s sheet music to my eyes. The prospect of Cristiano Ronaldo coming in to replace Nani?

I know, I know. It seems very unlikely to happen. Much as every Manchester United fan would love to Ronnie back at the club, it just seems too improbable.

But if the Daily Star is reporting it then surely it’s true right?

The tabloid that was talking transfer tittle tattle when I was but a drunken smile on my father’s face is suggesting that Ronnie has reached an impasse on contract negotiations with Real Madrid and that Manchester United could steal in for the 28 year old. 28? Yes that’s right the supreme Portuguese is 28. He’s probably only got one more contract in him and his sell on value would be a fraction of the £55m that Manchester United would reportedly have to pay for his services.

But, if Nani were to leave the club then a deal may be more possible. The Guardian speculates that Nani has been offered £90k a week to sign a new contract at Manchester United but that he is holding out for more. If a deal can’t be reached then he may well move on. And if you offered me £15m plus for Nani and a chance to get Ronaldo back I’d bite your hand off. Nani is great to watch at times. There is little doubting his talent. But he has never ironed the inconsistencies out of his game and he still can’t be trusted to make the right decision in the crucial moments of the biggest games. As we know, Ronaldo can.

It still remains highly unlikely that Cristiano will return to Manchester United. If he does move on then perhaps PSG is the only feasible club for him. He surely wouldn’t go to Manchester City right?

redrus

Nani out Ronnie in?

Nani is great to watch at times. There is little doubting his talent.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

What are they tyrying to do. Pump up the price before getting shut.

I'd be quite happy if we got rid of Nani n just quietly talked about Ronnie coming back, whilst knowing he's going to PSG in the back of my mind.

Consistently inconsistant, the only vaguely positive thing I have to say about Nani. Being far far easier to list the vaguely positives, I'll just leave it there....!

redrus

"Manure fan admits to delusional tendencies"

biggrin.png

Are you mental.......? Every Tuesday and Friday, I am completely and utterly bloody convinced I'm gonna win the Euro Millions..!!

Delusional, my arse...! :)

redrus

• Like 1

If you do win Russ, don't forget you still owe me a beer laugh.png

You'll have the keys to one of my villa's, there'll be a fridge full of beer there, 1 in the kitchen, 1 by the barbie. ;) Reckon that should cover it me ol mate.

redrus

You'll have the keys to one of my villa's, there'll be a fridge full of beer there, 1 in the kitchen, 1 by the barbie. wink.png Reckon that should cover it me ol mate.

Aye that should do it. But instead of just giving me the keys to villa, you could throw the villa in as well if you like tongue.png

I can't play the lottery over here ya know.

You'll have the keys to one of my villa's, there'll be a fridge full of beer there, 1 in the kitchen, 1 by the barbie. wink.png Reckon that should cover it me ol mate.

Aye that should do it. But instead of just giving me the keys to villa, you could throw the villa in as well if you like tongue.png

I can't play the lottery over here ya know.

Hahahahahha, cheeky bugger..! Its only 18mill tonight..!

Er, you can you know... I use a programme on my Mac, it lets me use a proxy server of the country I wish to say watch TV, corrie on ITV for instance, you can only watch ITV in the UK. Using a proxy server you can override that. Essentially you could do the lottery the same way....

Don't tell anyone though...!!!

redrus

Loved the way you slipped Corrie in there laugh.png

I was on about the lottery rules. They have not paid out in the past due to the person not being resident in the UK even though he was a UK citizen. Now that would be a #### if that was to happen.

Haha, I can slip Corrie in anywhere, its a talent I have.... :/

Ah, ok I'm with you now, fair point... You know I'd look after your account for mate for a small fee of course....! ;)

redrus

"Manure fan admits to delusional tendencies"

biggrin.png

Well I seem to remember that they said the same about SAF when he said that his ambition was for Utd to win and over take Liverpool in the number of league Titles. and he HAS clap2.gifbiggrin.png

So as Mr Bo said Red remember your mates.burp.gif

BT

Been a long time since we have not been favorites at home, we are 2.9 and madrid are 2.38 for me it is too close to call, it is who ever is up for it more on the day, either way should be a cracking game and i am sure the many supporters of other teams on here will be rooting for usbiggrin.png

• Like 1

Don't know if there is any truth in this, maybe to fund the purchase of Baletongue.png

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/clubs/manchesterunited/article3700456.ece

The lad can hardly speak English, how the h*ll is he going to order a chip-butty in French ?

True i think he will stay until it is time to go back to Everton, he is not the type to uproot and start afresh in a new country, unless he gets divorced becomes a lonely man and heads for Thailandbiggrin.png

Edited by mrbojangles
Fixed quotes

SAF setting the stage ? Talking about how United will do well without him, and also how he would like to move upstairs. Amusing himself ? Looking to make the final exit while on top ? Back channel talk with the Special One ?

Looks suspicious or ominous to me.

SAF setting the stage ? Talking about how United will do well without him, and also how he would like to move upstairs. Amusing himself ? Looking to make the final exit while on top ? Back channel talk with the Special One ?

Final Exit?...........google it. sad.png

Final Exit?...........google it. sad.png

Ah, nothing so drastic as that final exit.

Real Madrid smashed Barcelona AWAY from home 3 - 1, keep your eyes peeled tonight for the same.. you United fans worried? 55, you should be! wooooh

Why worry about a team that is worthy of playing us, whatever hapens it will be a great game.

Run along with yer rod now theres a good egg. ;)

redrus

• Like 1

I love Mourinho club has plenty of members next week.

Just hope its as good as the first game.....and no way would I call it if your lot play as well as the first leg.

Best of luck.

As good as the first game? haha thought the first game was atrocious, united weren't playing football, especially that thug number 4, and Real were playing lazy, rusty football. Though they look on form now with 2 wins over Barca in one week. Adios bye United.