Manchester United

redrus

Makes me laugh when a supporter of a club like Liverpool gets on one about decisions going United's way. Any club in England "smaller" than Liverpool - in other words at least 90% of the clubs - going to play at a place like Anfield, will feel, rightly or wrongly, with good justification or without, that the ref will at some stage in the game, or at some stages, make decisions against them that are prejudiced because of the might of the club, the might of the team, and the might of the grounds. Very few games does Liverpool ever play when this perceived prejudice goes against them. Vast majority of the time the perceived prejudice is in their favour. Just ask supporters of the likes of the Wigans and the West Broms on match day at Anfield what they think their chances are of getting a penalty.

well there we go, bring liverpool into the discussion. is this the football equivalent of godwin's law?

The problem here is you want to discuss refs being swayed by the power of intimidation, but you want to restrict the debate to only include United's alleged power, as if your own club isn't perceived to benefit from the same sort of power - albeit not thanks to your manager, but thanks to other factors - far far more often than it is perceived to suffer from it, from a handful of other clubs of similar stature.

Until the day you decide to stand up and speak out for all the smaller clubs that come to Anfield and get decisions against them that they feel are unfair, your whinging about United will go on ringing extremely hollow.

Vincent Kompany,the captain of City,is saying it was never a red card so please have some respect for his opinion !wink.png

As for Mourinho going to United.mr bj......norfolkandchance......Chelsea neither.....its nailed on he will replace "Henry" Mancini at the Etihad Stadium,eventually !wai2.gif

post-60293-0-65980500-1362550159_thumb.j

it is your opinion that Nani knew he was there - not shared by me and many others, Nani was looking the other way at the incomming ball

I'm not saying it was an overhead kick but simply applying the principal that a player peforming an OHK will not be aware of a defenders head coming in hard behind him

arbeloa had full view of the situation and IMO put himself in danger, Nani put his foot up to bring the approaching ball to the ground and under his control arbeloa did nothing to avoid the collision

the ref got it wrong and that fact is obvious

"put himself in danger"? where does this nonsense come from? there would be no "danger" were one player not recklessly sticking his studs five feet in the air.

the ref correctly implemented the laws of the game. that is the only "fact" here.

"A player is guilty of serious foul play if he uses excessive force or brutality against an opponent when challenging for the ball when it is in play. A tackle that endangers the safety of an opponent must be sanctioned as serious foul play."

what bit of the law being implemented correctly are people having trouble with here?

Sometimes H talks a lot of sense and gets it dead right.

Makes me laugh when a supporter of a club like Liverpool gets on one about decisions going United's way. Any club in England "smaller" than Liverpool - in other words at least 90% of the clubs - going to play at a place like Anfield, will feel, rightly or wrongly, with good justification or without, that the ref will at some stage in the game, or at some stages, make decisions against them that are prejudiced because of the might of the club, the might of the team, and the might of the grounds. Very few games does Liverpool ever play when this perceived prejudice goes against them. Vast majority of the time the perceived prejudice is in their favour. Just ask supporters of the likes of the Wigans and the West Broms on match day at Anfield what they think their chances are of getting a penalty.

well there we go, bring liverpool into the discussion. is this the football equivalent of godwin's law?

And sometimes..................

Vincent Kompany,the captain of City,is saying it was never a red card so please have some respect for his opinion !wink.png

As for Mourinho going to United.mr bj......norfolkandchance......Chelsea neither.....its nailed on he will replace "Henry" Mancini at the Etihad Stadium,eventually !wai2.gif

I hope Mourinho does come to City. I've always said I would love him at City and he certainly has more class than ol red nose.

As for the Red card. Everyone else's view is all subjective and what really matters is what the official saw and believed on the spot. He believed it was a Red and so a Red it was. It's not the first time a team has gone down to ten men (whether you think it unjust or not) it simply means that the remaining 10 have to dig deeper. Many teams go on to win with 10 men.

Everyone is blagging on about the Red card but the simple fact is that it wasn't the Red card that lost the game for United. It wasn't as if the ref gave a goal that was off-side, or gave a penalty that should never have been. They are real game changing decisions and I could understand the cries of foul play. All this ref did was to reduce United to ten men and United should have changed their game plan to adopt for that.

it is your opinion that Nani knew he was there - not shared by me and many others, Nani was looking the other way at the incomming ball

I'm not saying it was an overhead kick but simply applying the principal that a player peforming an OHK will not be aware of a defenders head coming in hard behind him

arbeloa had full view of the situation and IMO put himself in danger, Nani put his foot up to bring the approaching ball to the ground and under his control arbeloa did nothing to avoid the collision

"put himself in danger"? where does this nonsense come from? there would be no "danger" were one player not recklessly sticking his studs five feet in the air.

the ref correctly implemented the laws of the game. that is the only "fact" here.

"A player is guilty of serious foul play if he uses excessive force or brutality against an opponent when challenging for the ball when it is in play. A tackle that endangers the safety of an opponent must be sanctioned as serious foul play."

what bit of the law being implemented correctly are people having trouble with here?

are you saying that no player should be allowed to lift his foot above a certain height - please explain

still waiting for SH to explain this i.e. when it's allowed or not allowed

Was very surprised to see us starting with Nani and Giggs, and without Rooney, but tactically, we got it spot on in the first half. They had a lot of the possession but did virtually nothing with it. We looked dangerous every time we went on the attack, with Welbeck in particular doing a fantastic job. Second half it was more of the same... until the sending off. Absurd decision. High boot in my opinion is only a red if it is done with obvious malice to injure an opponent. The angle that Nani came onto the ball, there clearly was no malice whatsoever. There has to be some consistency here. If a high boot is a red regardless of any intent to injure, then any high boot should be a red, even when played with no opponent in sight, and how ridiculous would that be?

Sad but predictable all the ABUs who didn't even watch the game nodding in agreement at the red. Respect to those here, and respect to those on the Real Madrid side, who saw the decision for what it was... not only completely wrong, but game changing. I'm not certain we would have won with eleven men, but we were well on the way.

Anyway, being cheated by the ref (no i don't think he was bent) is far preferable to being cheated by the opposition. Well done to Real. They took advantage of the refs stupidity, and what else could they do. Good luck to them.

laugh.png

"A player is guilty of serious foul play if he uses excessive force or brutality against an opponent when challenging for the ball when it is in play. A tackle that endangers the safety of an opponent must be sanctioned as serious foul play." - law 12, fouls and misconduct.

yes, absurd decision rix. or alternatively good to see a referee implementing the laws of the game as they're intended to be implemented in a match involving man united for a change. you want consistency? this is the consistency. a referee doing his job correctly. as opposed to doing what mister ferguson bullies them into doing.

It's a pity that the ref couldn't use that same consistency throughout the game then. At one first half corner (whenVidic headed the ball over the crossbar) the Madrid goalkeeper was so late with his ill timed attempted punched clearance not only did he miss the ball by a country mile he hit Vidic squarely on the forehead with that punch. Now isn't that a late tackle? Isn't that a high tackle? Isn't that dangerous foul play? The punch was about an inch from Vidic's eye so Isn't that a tackle that endangers the safety of an opponent?

And what did that 'consistent' referee do about it?...............Absolutely nothing!

• Like 1

What really annoys me though, is that I have an Advanced Construction Technology exam from 18:30 to 20:30 GMT today...!!

Obviously my tutors are not Football and, least of all certainly not United fans..!!

sad.png

redrus

hahahaha how did united go last night? I'm not sure as I missed the game, could you tell me the score? cheesy.gif

Well anyway, putting the sending off nonsense to one side, i'm happy and proud of the way we played and really don't feel at all down today. Before the tie, many predicted that Real Madrid would have this "mediocre" United team for breakfast, and that our defense would be ripped apart. We were more than a match for them, much more than i dared hope in fact, and if not for some better more clinical finishing from RVP, i think we would have got through. Champions League was always the longest shot of all trophies for us this year. If we get the league tied up (still some work to do for sure) and have a decent run in the FA Cup, that will be more than enough success to be getting on with cheers very much.

Well anyway, putting the sending off nonsense to one side, i'm happy and proud of the way we played and really don't feel at all down today. Before the tie, many predicted that Real Madrid would have this "mediocre" United team for breakfast, and that our defense would be ripped apart. We were more than a match for them, much more than i dared hope in fact, and if not for some better more clinical finishing from RVP, i think we would have got through. Champions League was always the longest shot of all trophies for us this year. If we get the league tied up (still some work to do for sure) and have a decent run in the FA Cup, that will be more than enough success to be getting on with cheers very much.

I think it's funny that looking at the score line united didn't score one goal, nor did they come close to scoring a goal last night, good luck with that, oh and what happened to the Japanese Messi? I didn't see him on the pitch.

Well anyway, putting the sending off nonsense to one side, i'm happy and proud of the way we played and really don't feel at all down today.

Were you happy and proud of the way that witless knob jockey Ferdinand conducted himself at the end of the game?

are you saying that no player should be allowed to lift his foot above a certain height - please explain

still waiting for SH to explain this i.e. when it's allowed or not allowed

Maybe SH is waiting for you to re-read his post and come back and say "ah yes, now I understand" smile.png

Of course a player can lift his foot but not when it endangers an opponent. So, if there is nobody else around, that would obviously be fine. But if two players are challenging for the ball, you are on a sticky wicket.

Well anyway, putting the sending off nonsense to one side, i'm happy and proud of the way we played and really don't feel at all down today.

Were you happy and proud of the way that witless knob jockey Ferdinand conducted himself at the end of the game?

I was, that was funny.. lol

Didn't see it. I turned off the minute the final whistle blew. Happy with the way he played. If he acted like a <deleted> after the game can only say i'm sorry to hear that.

quote from BBC (and exactly what most have been saying here)

Retired referee Dermot Gallagher on BBC Radio 5 live: "[The
decision was] harsh to say the least, but in fairness the Real player did Nani
no favours whatsoever. At worst Nani catches the underside of his arm, certainly
not the ribs as the guy has gone down and shown.

"I can't reiterate enough that he [Nani] is watching the ball over his
shoulder, there was no malice in him. At worst it was a yellow for dangerous
play, but if I was refereeing that game I cannot see by what stretch of the
imagination I would have sent him off for that."

• Like 1

I was, that was funny.. lol

Home from school a bit early today i see.

Edited by rixalex

no favours whatsoever. At worst Nani catches the underside of his arm, certainly

and the rest

Everton manager David Moyes on BBC Radio 5 live: "I think

tonight Sir Alex Ferguson will be rightly as angry as he has ever been. The

decision changed the game. I am looking from a manager's point of view and

Manchester United have had a hard time tonight. I think they have a right to

surround the referee. The decision was poor and it has cost them the biggest

prize in football."

Former Liverpool and Germany midfielder Dietmar Hamann on Sky Sports:

"He wants to bring it down, I think no Real Madrid player expected it,

nobody was claiming a red card. He didn't see him he didn't mean to do it, it's

not even a booking."

Telegraph correspondent Henry Winter on Radio 5 live: "I

actually thought the initial perpetrator was Arbeloa, who looked like he thought

he had a free hit at Nani and was going to take it."

• Like 1

Really good game until the sending off,i thought the first half was engrossing and at moments end to end action and chances for both teams.

We had a game plan and defended very well you cannot do that at this level with a man down so the decision ruined the game and any chance United had.

Wellbeck has years ahead of him at the top for United and England and Rafeal gets better and stronger every game.

Good luck to Madrid.

• Like 1

Ahhh MrRed.....you've finally woken up! biggrin.png

I have a question for you......who did you think was the better keeper last night? tongue.png

Ahhh MrRed.....you've finally woken up! biggrin.png

I have a question for you......who did you think was the better keeper last night? tongue.png

casilles had nothing to do.

We had a game plan and defended very well you cannot do that at this level with a man down so the decision ruined the game and any chance United had.

So it's the refs fault because he ruined your game plan. In your game plan did it include Nani shoving his studs into the oppositions chest?

Wellbeck has years ahead of him at the top for United and England and Rafeal gets better and stronger every game.

Yep. I'll agree with that. I'm getting more convinced with Wellbeck the more I see of him.

So it's the refs fault because he ruined your game plan. In your game plan did it include Nani shoving his studs into the oppositions chest?

>

Yep. I'll agree with that. I'm getting more convinced with Wellbeck the more I see of him.

I think you should go and play with the scousers like a good boy today.......now run along and be a sport. biggrin.png

Yes thats the way i saw it.

He said "harsh" but not unjust. Many decisions are harsh and it's usually against the teams who are playing United. I am just sooooo happy that this ref made a decision that he believed in and did what he thought was right. This is not a Prem League Ref who is intimidated and scared to death of the backlash he may get from Fergie and United.

• Like 1