Manchester United

redrus

For me, and I've said this a few times... I'd like Mats Hummels, Luke Shaw, Adam Lallana and Ilkay Gundoggan.

Getting them, is a different matter, I am well aware of... wink.png

redrus

Where would you play Lallana?

I know he's older but Coleman of Everton would also be a good buy, he's a class back.

You never know Lallana and Shaw might come with Pochetinno. wink.png

I'd bet that's the only way Pochi would take the job. He's got a very good thing going at Southampton. If they can hold onto their marquee players, and have enough funds to bring in a few more, they could very well be in the top mix in the future. Lotsa "ifs" but not completely unreasonable. coffee1.gif

I think you're right JD he has done a great job and there's a lot of talent there.

The names of Lallana, Shaw and Rodriguez are doing the rounds, but will they sell?

Southampton's new director Hans Hofstetter insists the club will not have to sell any of their highly-prized England youngsters this summer. http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11700/9242092/southamptons-finances-mean-no-need-to-sell-adam-lallana-luke-shaw-jay-rodriguez

For me, and I've said this a few times... I'd like Mats Hummels, Luke Shaw, Adam Lallana and Ilkay Gundoggan.

redrus

I know he's older but Coleman of Everton would also be a good buy, he's a class back.

I'd bet that's the only way Pochi would take the job. He's got a very good thing going at Southampton. If they can hold onto their marquee players, and have enough funds to bring in a few more, they could very well be in the top mix in the future. Lotsa "ifs" but not completely unreasonable. coffee1.gif

I think you're right JD he has done a great job and there's a lot of talent there.

The names of Lallana, Shaw and Rodriguez are doing the rounds, but will they sell?

Southampton's new director Hans Hofstetter insists the club will not have to sell any of their highly-prized England youngsters this summer. http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11700/9242092/southamptons-finances-mean-no-need-to-sell-adam-lallana-luke-shaw-jay-rodriguez

Let's hope that is true. The Saints are a fun team to watch and seem to be smartly run. They brought in that idiot Pablo Osvaldo from Roma and then loaned him to Juve chop chop when they saw what a distraction he was. Osvaldo clearly the wrong sort of personality for Southampton and they nipped that mistake in the bud before it got worse.

We are still in it, thats all i was hoping for as many was tipping a drubbing, now at least we know what we have to do, our away form has been decent all season so there is still hope, as Stevie and Carmine state nick a goal and who knows, as far as Fellaine why did Moyes buy him? he was the worst player on the pitch, would rather see fletcher in his place, Kagawa made the difference in the 2nd half, a great little player who Moyes does not know how to use.

• Like 2

redrus

I can't see any reason why Man Utd would offer the job to the relatively inexperienced Pottetino with no european experience either, baring in mind the quality out there to choose from.

He's proven he's quite a good manager with potential but not a lot more for me, certainly nowhere near the credentials required and United are unlikely to make the same mistake again.

Lastly, Luke Shaw is a lifelong Chelsea fan. He also would prefer CL football as anyone would so its unlikely and unrealistic to think he would join United over Mourinho's chavs.

I don't see any "marquee" players at Southampton. Only a few good players. I thought marquee players were of the Aguero./Suarez ilk.

redrus

I can't see any reason why Man Utd would offer the job to the relatively inexperienced Pottetino with no european experience either, baring in mind the quality out there to choose from.

He's proven he's quite a good manager with potential but not a lot more for me, certainly nowhere near the credentials required and United are unlikely to make the same mistake again.

Lastly, Luke Shaw is a lifelong Chelsea fan. He also would prefer CL football as anyone would so its unlikely and unrealistic to think he would join United over Mourinho's chavs.

I don't see any "marquee" players at Southampton. Only a few good players. I thought marquee players were of the Aguero./Suarez ilk.

I think you're right, maybe better suited to a club where there's no European involvement.

Football transfer rumours: Mauricio Pochettino to take over atTottenham? http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/mar/19/football-transfer-rumours-mauricio-pochettino

And he is currently second favourite behing van Gaal.

redrus

Maybe "marquee" not the absolutely correct word, but Lallana and Shaw strike me as very good players as of now, and with potential to be even better.

I do think Shaw would be a very worthy winner of Young Player of the Year.

66/1....Hazard big odds on fav.

Considering the first two (Hazard & Sturridge) are 23 and 24, it makes a bit of a mockery of the Young player of the Year Award, IMO.

Edited by uptheos
  • Like 2

I do think Shaw would be a very worthy winner of Young Player of the Year.

66/1....Hazard big odds on fav.

Considering the first two (Hazard & Sturridge) are 23 and 24, it makes a bit of a mockery of the Young player of the Year Award, IMO.

Any chance Eto'o might win it?

smile.png

• Like 1

Are Utd going to do a Chelsea? Naturally I want Chelsea to win the CL, but I can't deny with Man U being so rubbish this year, a win for them would make me smile.

"do a chelsea"?

Be rubbish in the league and generally the second best in the cl games, yet still win, circa 2012.

Are Utd going to do a Chelsea? Naturally I want Chelsea to win the CL, but I can't deny with Man U being so rubbish this year, a win for them would make me smile.

"do a chelsea"?

Be rubbish in the league and generally the second best in the cl games, yet still win, circa 2012.

christ i'd forgotten you finished sixth that season.

• Like 1

i didn't watch it. was fellaini as poor as everyone seems to be reporting?

Was even losing headers to players 5 inches smaller than him. Did nothing at all apart from lose the ball any time it came to him.

"do a chelsea"?

It's called 'Doing a Drogba'.

thumbsup.gif

Just hope we can contain Cavani and Ibrahimovich.

This was posted yesterday, its now changed to 4 ways..... Shocking reporting, but i thought it bordered on amusing, its not hard to spot, see how long it takes you.. wink.png

Five ways Manchester United can stun Bayern Munich

David Moyes' side approach this evening's encounter as rank outsiders against the team they beat to secure a famous treble in 1999.

£25 free bet with WINNER: Bet on Man Utd to win

Manchester United supporters have had to shift expectations to an all-time low this season and go into tonight's Champions League quarter-final against Bayern Munich bizarrely labelled 'rank outsiders' for the first time in what seems an eternity.

Never has a United side since the competition's inception in 1992 headed into the latter stages of Europe's elite tournament considered as such but given Bayern's current standing and the malaise which has engulfed the reigning English champions' first season without Sir Alex Ferguson at the helm, their stock is at an all-time low.

With precious little other than pride to play for in the Premier League this season, Europe has offered some much-needed welcome respite to the beleaguered David Moyes, whose debut term in charge started badly and has only continued to descend in a markedly precipitous trajectory.

That respite appears to come to the abruptest of halts, however, with United having been pitted against the current European heavyweight in Bayern Munich.

Munich, of course, are looking to emulate last season's triumph and also secure the unprecedented feat of back-to-back crowns and will take some stopping having won the Bundesliga title at a canter.

The title was secured in style just six days ago with a 3-1 win at Hertha Berlin and, although a much-changed lineup could only draw with Hoffenheim at the weekend, the season's record - at least domestically - reads: P 28 W 25 D 3 L 0.

Their stumble at the weekend proves there are chinks in the armour and, with both Arsenal and Manchester City having come away from the Allianz Arena without defeat this season, United must retain some faith in the momentous task they face in inflicting defeat over two legs against Pep Guardiola's juggernaut.

Robin van Persie's injury and Patrice Evra's suspension only add to the size of the challenge United face and, with the first leg at Old Trafford, it is vital United get off to as good a start as possible.

But just how are they expected to overcome a side which has conceded just six in Europe and plundered 20 in their eight games? Here are five ways United could do just that...

1) Play Mata at No.10

The Spaniard has seemed off the pace and sluggish since his arrival from Chelsea in the January transfer window but should not be castigated unfairly, especially considering his team-mates travails of even greater dimensions.

There were signs that the Spaniard was beginning to re-discover some of the form of seasons gone by against Aston Villa at the weekend, having a hand in the opening two goals and also supplying a delightful finish for United's third goal.

Mata looked more at home operating in a more conventional playmaker role just off of Wayne Rooney and, with Van Persie sidelined, he may get an opportunity to shine there once more rather than being shoe-horned into a less-suited wide role.

2) Defensive support

Moyes will be pondering the various personnel at his disposal for such a crucial encounter and simply must get it right in the wide positions if his side are to stand any reasonable chance of taking anything to the Allianz Arena in eight days' time.

Antonio Valencia - particularly if Mata is fielded inside - would offer the requisite defensive protection needed to combat Franck Ribery's effervescent wing play and his displays at right-back offer proof of his credentials to help hot-head Rafael out in the right-back position.

The left-hand side becomes a trickier proposition. With Alex Büttner forced into the defence as a result of Evra's ban, Moyes is left with a number of attack-minded wingers. A cavalier gameplan is the last thing United need, particularly with Büttner set to go head to head with Arjen Robben.

Danny Welbeck would offer pace if perhaps too much of an inclination to get forward, Adnan Januzaj's inexperience could count against him while Ashley Young looks a long shot after another gaffe at the weekend led to Villa's opening goal.

Perhaps Moyes could call on the big-game nous and discipline of Ryan Giggs? His dwindling speed across the ground provides the Scot with another problem but he must get the formula right to nullify the threat from wide areas.

3) Tight-knit midfield

Marouane Fellaini's hopeless showing in defeat to city rivals Manchester City last week underlined his limitations against the highest level of opposition and Moyes must resist the urge to field his mentee in such a high-profile clash.

Again, the paucity of central midfield options other than Michael Carrick poses yet more problems for Moyes and the temptation to field Giggs may once more be flawed due to the lack of mobility in sharp contrast to Bayern's revolving midfield ranks.

Darren Fletcher offers a solidity and big-game responsibility not associated with the likes of Tom Cleverley and Fellaini and, along with Carrick, offers enough support to a backline sure to be sorely tested.

4) Options off the bench

Moyes does not need to chase the game with a second leg still to come, but any result this evening will be paramount to their chances of progressing.

With that in mind, Moyes must keep some gamechangers or, indeed, game preservers amongst his substitutes to have an impact on the game.

The likes of Shinji Kagawa and Javier Hernandez, for instance, offer Moyes tangible threat in the attacking third and also offer wildcard options in that they differ from the primary forwards on the pitch. Phil Jones, meanwhile, comes with versatility and battle-hardened qualities and could help United protect any prospective lead.

5) Evoking the memories of '99

Moyes needn't give a team-talk this evening, all he needs is to recall one of United's greatest-ever nights, when they won their second Champions League crown.

A late quickfire double from Teddy Sheringham and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer stunned Bayern and handed United the trophy in the Nou Camp back in 1999 and, while United fans will struggle to see beyond the difficulties of this season, such memories must be called upon in their attempts to replicate them.

If he is to help United realise the loftier heights which they have embarrassingly come nowhere near to matching this campaign, the players and manager must come together as one and form a united front to live up to this famous club's inherent never-say-die attitude, evidenced in '99.

Can United pull off a famous win over Bayern?

Oh Tom........ Oh Dear.

redrus

Link to the page now..

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/04/01/tmb-five-ways-manchester-united-can-stun-bayern-munich/?

Edited by redrus
  • Like 2

Manager David Moyes believes Manchester United have a "great opportunity" to eliminate Champions League holders Bayern Munich after a 1-1 draw in their last-eight first leg at Old Trafford.

"We know we've got to score a goal in the second leg". "We have to do something about it," said Moyes

And you all thought he wasn't a master craftsman. wink.png

• Like 1

Exactly. Even the idiot w*****r Moronho knew that when he sold him.

But did Moyes?wink.png

I think you missed the main point of rus posting the article, Mata cannot play in the champions league, as much as we would like too we cant.

On-loan Atletico Madrid keeper Courtois WILL be eligible to play against parent club Chelsea if two teams are drawn in Champions League quarter-final

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2585496/

Looks like the answer is Yes... assuming the same rules apply for Semi Final and Final.

Brilliant against Barcelona last night.