Manchester United

redrus

You lot should like this read :o :

Hansen on the title race

_42760829_alan_hansen2_55x55.jpg

o.gif By Alan Hansen

999999.gif

It is now difficult to go against Manchester United winning another Premier League title.

They lead Chelsea by five points, but with their massive goal difference, that effectively means six points.

They have been over this course and distance before, have tremendous strength in depth and can grind out results like no other team.

All the big players were on view in the Manchester United v Liverpool game - Steven Gerrard, Fernando Torres, Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo - but the only one who really performed of that quartet was Rooney, who was magnificent.

_44510801_united_win203.jpg Wes Brown, Cristiano Ronaldo and Nani lead the celebrations

Of the top four teams, you can argue all day long about the quality going forward but the best defence by a mile is United's. Rio Ferdinand was unbelievable against Torres, who has been getting so many plaudits, and never gave him a kick.

Ronaldo didn't play well but got a goal and contributed. The great players are the ones who will keep going and give you something extra and you say that every week about Rooney and Ronaldo - what a great pairing they are.

Manchester United have got so many match-winners that if they've got two or three missing they have got great strength in depth and there will be someone else like Paul Scholes, Ryan Giggs, Michael Carrick or Anderson who will play really well.

However, if one team are to beat United to the title I believe it will be Chelsea. United still have to play them at Stamford Bridge on 26 April.

The game between Chelsea and Arsenal was a fascinating one and it was a match both teams really needed to win.

Arsenal were the better team for a long period but then they just fell apart under pressure and they are in freefall at the moment.

It was such a big game for Chelsea manager Avram Grant. When he has made substitutions before, people have criticised his judgement.

_44510837_drogba203.jpg Didier Drogba caused all sorts of problems for the Arsenal defence

When he put the subs on against Arsenal, everyone thought it was the logical thing to do and it has come off for him and he takes credit for getting it right, but he needed to get it right.

Didier Drogba was also a big difference between the sides and is hard to handle. When the ball is played up to him, it is hard to defend against him and often something comes from it.

Arsenal are still the best team to watch when it comes to pass and move but you don't win the championship when you are playing well, you win it when you are not playing well and can grind out results.

They just can't do that as well as Manchester United can. However, Sir Alex Ferguson won't be thinking United will win every match until the end of the season as there is still plenty of Premier League and Champions League action to go. He will be looking to consolidate his position.

You lot should like this read :D :

Thanks for that Scouse, BUT we will see what happens :D

I still think we will do it now :D

SEE you in the Champions league as well - bring it on :o

You were as Toady said a great sport last night ( and you took our money) :D

BT

Man U strolling to victory over Villa after Sunderland destroyed Villa's confidence last week :o .

Meanwhile the future of Manchester United were taking a hammering at home ....

Man U Youths crushed

Man Utd U18s 1 Sunderland U18s 5

Liam Noble's superb drive had Sunderland ahead at the break, before Jordan Henderson, Martyn Waghorn and two-goal Nathan Luscombe completed a stunning 5-1 away win to maintain top spot in Group D - a point clear of Nottingham Forest, who also won.

:D Gonna have to say this, UTD were oustanding last night, and Ronaldo's goal was pure class. By far the best team to watch in EPL IMO. :o

UTD going forward look like they are going to score everytime, and to be honst they could have racked up a very big score last night. Hopefully, will continue this form in Europe this week.

Only a few more games to go, and Arsenal and Chelsea can not afford to drop any points at this stage. Should be a good finish to the season, but hopefully the Chelsea v Utd game will be irrelevant come the 26th.

Only a few more games to go, and Arsenal and Chelsea can not afford to drop any points at this stage. Should be a good finish to the season, but hopefully the Chelsea v Utd game will be irrelevant come the 26th.

It does pain me to say it :D but I have to agree with you Mr t.

The mancs were outstanding last night and the boy Rooney looked truely world class.

So the league race is over , the Champions legue however ...... :o:D .

It does pain me to say it :D but I have to agree with you Mr t.

The mancs were outstanding last night and the boy Rooney looked truely world class.

So the league race is over , the Champions legue however ...... :o:D .

I'm not saying it is over, but we are in a very strong position now. I'm hoping to be watching the Champs league in a bar with you and a few of the other lads. :D

Roma 0-2 Man Utd

By Phil McNulty

Manchester United took a giant stride towards the Champions League semi-finals with a clinical victory against AS Roma at the Stadio Olimpico.

Cristiano Ronaldo headed home his 36th goal of the season from Paul Scholes' cross six minutes before half-time.

Roma rallied, with Christian Panucci missing from close range and Edwin van der Sar saving brilliantly from Mirko Vucinic's 61st-minute header.

But Rooney bundled home United's crucial second five minutes later.

The result leaves United clear favourites to reach a likely semi-final showdown against Barcelona.

Sir Alex Ferguson made three changes from the side that won so emphatically against Aston Villa on Saturday - Van der Sar, Anderson and Ji-Sung Park replacing Tomasz Kuszczak, Ryan Giggs and Carlos Tevez.

Vucinic led the Roma attack in place of injured captain Francesco Totti, and he was a lively figure in a first 45 minutes that saw United relatively untroubled.

Panucci posed an early threat when he rose to meet David Pizarro's corner but headed over the top.

Vucinic was just off target before United suffered a blow after 29 minutes when Nemanja Vidic was carried off after landing awkwardly on his knee in an aerial challenge.

However, United reacted well to the setback and took the lead with a priceless away goal from Ronaldo six minutes before the interval.

Scholes sat up an inviting cross and Ronaldo rose superbly to power a downward header past Doni. The Portuguese winger took a heavy bang to the head in scoring, but recovered quickly to carry on.

Vucinic could have levelled two minutes later, but he jabbed a finish across the face of goal after escaping the attentions of the United defence.

Roma set about United with intent after the break, Max Tonetto sending a powerful drive just wide and Panucci wasting their best chance of the night when he blasted over from close range after United failed to deal with Vucinic's long throw.

It prompted a response from Ferguson after 55 minutes as Owen Hargreaves was sent on for the disappointing Anderson, who was also suffering a hamstring problem.

Roma were testing United's resolve, and just after the hour Van der Sar needed to produce a stunning reflex save to turn away Vucinic's flicked header.

But United survived the siege to break out and deliver a stunning counter-punch to double their advantage.

Park did well to head Wes Brown's long cross into the danger area and when Doni failed to collect, Rooney bundled home from inside the six-yard box.

Roma, understandably, looked demoralised and United came within inches of adding a third and effectively putting the tie to bed late on.

First Ronaldo fired a low shot against an upright before Michael Carrick was just inches off-target from 20 yards as United gathered momentum.

Then, with seconds remaining, Ronaldo almost crowned the perfect in night in spectacular fashion when he volleyed just over from substitute Tevez's cross.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roma: Doni, Cassetti, Mexes, Panucci, Tonetto (Cicinho 69), De Rossi, Aquilani (Esposito 76), Taddei (Giuly 59), Pizarro, Mancini, Vucinic.

Subs Not Used: Curci, Antunes, Ferrari, Brighi.

Booked: Pizarro, Mexes.

Man Utd: Van der Sar, Brown, Ferdinand, Vidic (O'Shea 34), Evra, Carrick, Scholes, Anderson (Hargreaves 55), Ronaldo, Park, Rooney (Tevez 84).

Subs Not Used: Kuszczak, Giggs, Pique, Silvestre.

Booked: Anderson.

Goals: Ronaldo 39, Rooney 66.

Att: 80,023

Ref: Frank De Bleeckere (Belgium).

Perfect, good to get a win in Italy, as it is not somewhere we have got many good results. I really like the balkance of the team at the moment, and they certainly appear better adapted to Europe than they did last year. Hopefully, they'll finish the job at Old Trafford next week, and move onto to the semis. Could be quite a game if we get Barcelona.

Semis within grasp, says Ferguson

Ferguson gives the thumbs up during his side's 2-0 win at AS Roma

Sir Alex Ferguson is confident his Manchester United side can secure a Champions League semi-final spot after a 2-0 first-leg last-eight win at Roma.

Cristiano Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney each scored vital away goals to put United in pole position ahead of the second leg at Old Trafford on 9 April.

"We can't take anything for granted, but we definitely feel like we can reach the semi-finals," said Ferguson.

"It was a marvellous result. We showed discipline and composure on the ball."

Ronaldo's header broke the deadlock for the visitors and he has now taken his tally to 36 for the season, with eight in the Champions League.

"Ronaldo's goal changed the game for us. It was a fantastic header," said Ferguson.

"His spring and courage to go in front of the defender surprised the Roma player.

"It was a centre forward's header - it reminded me of myself."

Roma had a spell just after the break when they peppered the United goal, only to be undone by a mixture of keeper Edwin van der Sar's quality and a lack of ruthless finishing.

Ferguson added: "We rode our luck in the first 15 minutes of the second half. You get those breaks sometimes - and we did."

United did suffer the setback of having central defender Nemanja Vidic falling awkwardly and having to go off with a knee injury after 33 minutes.

"I pray it is not serious, because he is such an integral part of our team," said Ferguson.

"We think it might just be a nerve injury but we can't be sure at this moment."

Roma beat Real Madrid 2-1 away from home in the last round and coach Luciano Spalletti is hoping that result will give his side confidence heading into the return leg.

"They were lucky on their scoring chances," he said. "They have players of very high quality.

"But we've got to react after what happened and reverse the situation. We've scored twice away before in the Champions League."

There was no repeat of the violent scenes that have marred clashes between the clubs in recent games, and Ferguson said: "That is a bonus and what we wanted to happen.

"Roma and ourselves have worked hard to make sure there would be no incidents."

I have to say, that the Vidic injury is a worry, but I think that it's not such a problem given the comfortable lead after the first leg. Hopefully he will be back for the next game in the league though,as he is such an importnat player.

Another good result last night Mr Toad, my only concern is how Vidic is.

I really like that boy's no nonsense approach to defending, he and Evra have fitted in very well - and it's great to see Scholesy back in the thick of it again.

How were things on the streets of Rome ? I've not heard of anything so perhaps all in all a good night, and roll on next week. then bring on Barca.......... :o

Another good result last night Mr Toad, my only concern is how Vidic is.

I really like that boy's no nonsense approach to defending, he and Evra have fitted in very well - and it's great to see Scholesy back in the thick of it again.

How were things on the streets of Rome ? I've not heard of anything so perhaps all in all a good night, and roll on next week. then bring on Barca.......... :o

Agreed Ken, he is such an important player, and for me Utds best defender. We just don't look as solid when he is not playing.

Good to see you back, you haven't been posting much of late.

Ronaldo 'is best player in world'

Manchester United star Cristiano Ronaldo is better than AC Milan's world player of the year Kaka, according to Real Madrid coach Bernd Schuster.

The 23-year-old scored against Roma on Tuesday to take his tally to 36 goals for the season, while Kaka's form has dipped in Serie A.

"Ronaldo has already overtaken Kaka after (the Brazilian's) recent slump," said the German coach.

"Right now, Cristiano Ronaldo is the best player in the world."

Kaka beat Ronaldo into third place in the voting for Fifa's world player of the year award last December, with Barcelona's Lionel Messi in second.

But Ronaldo's mesmeric form this season has seen the Portuguese winger move to the top of many observers' lists.

Schuster added that he would like to sign Ronaldo, although he accepted United were unlikely to let him leave in the immediate future.

"He's the star at Old Trafford and until they win the Champions League and another league title or two then they aren't going to let him go," he said.

"So in the short term I don't think it will be possible to sign him.

"But in a couple of years, yes, I believe he could be wearing the white shirt at the Bernabeu."

The Bernabeu boss also suggested that Chelsea striker Didier Drogba was on his hit-list for next season.

"Drogba and Seville's Luis Fabiano are very good players. Madrid has to aspire to signing the best," he added.

If Ronaldo doesn't win it this year then it will be a joke. For me he is a better all round player than Messi or Kaka.

Not good news, but could have been worse. Just like last season when we lost him at a crucial point. Hopefully, he'll make a quick recovery as he is a massive player for us.

Vidic out for two to three weeks

Manchester United centre-back Nemanja Vidic will be out for two to three weeks, the club have confirmed.

Vidic had a second scan on his injured left knee on Thursday which revealed no major damage.

The 26-year-old fell awkwardly in the first half of the 2-0 win over Roma and had to be replaced by John O'Shea.

Vidic will miss Premier League matches against Middlesbrough and Arsenal and Wednesday's Champions League last eight second-leg match against Roma.

The Serbian defender could also miss a potential semi-final first leg with either Barcelona or Schalke should United qualify.

But he would hope to be fit for the Chelsea game at Stamford Bridge on 26 April and the second-leg of a potential Champions League semi-final.

It had been feared that the Serbian defender could have been ruled out for the season but United have confirmed Vidic should return within three weeks.

"There is no major damage to left knee, and he will be out for two to three weeks," said a United spokesman.

Vidic has formed a superb partnership with Rio Ferdinand at the heart of defence and has been a key part of United's chase for a Premier League and Champions League double.

Manager Sir Alex Ferguson has plenty of defensive options available to him with O'Shea and Gerard Pique both having played at centre-back in recent weeks.

Mikael Silvestre returned to the first-team squad in Rome following a knee injury while Gary Neville is also close to a return.

Not good news Mr.T, but I guess it could have been far worse.

Hopefully with the depth of squad we have this year we'll get through.

Handy to have Silvestre fit again but he'll be a far cry from match fit and was already showing signs of age before his injury.

'Twill be interesting to see who the Canny Old Scot plays during next couple of weeks.

Handy to have Silvestre fit again but he'll be a far cry from match fit and was already showing signs of age before his injury.

'Twill be interesting to see who the Canny Old Scot plays during next couple of weeks.

I'm guessing that Pique could be the suprise one. If he decides to go with tried and trusted, he may well slot Brown into the centre and bring in O'Shea or Neville. I can't see Silvestre coming straight back in, but to be honest I think we have enough depth in the squad to cope with it, but still would prefer to have Vidic playing.

I'm guessing that Pique could be the suprise one. If he decides to go with tried and trusted, he may well slot Brown into the centre and bring in O'Shea or Neville. I can't see Silvestre coming straight back in, but to be honest I think we have enough depth in the squad to cope with it, but still would prefer to have Vidic playing.

I thought I saw Silvestre warming up on Tuesday night - so he must have been on the bench, or were my old eyes deceiving me ? Sunday's game at Middlesborough will be a true acid test as the Teessiders are never easy to beat at home.

I would like to see Pique do well as he appears to have the potential, just a bit green. That old Catch 22 situation. ( He will only succeed if we give him the chance - but he does make me nervous at times - Get Well Soon Vidic........ :o )

Hopefully Vidic will be fit for the Champions League Semi-Final first leg.

We dont want a repeat of the defensive injuries of last season....remember the second leg of the Champions League semi final against AC Milan....the back four was Fletcher,Brown,Heinze & O'Shea.....no wonder we got beat !

I think Sir Alex will put O'Shea in at right back with Brown moving to the middle alongside Ferdinand.

Middlesbrough away

Arsenal home

Roma home

I think we'll be OK without Vidic for these three but maybe lucky we've got a bit of a cushion at the top of the Premiership.

New Patrice Evra song, to the tune of The Roses Made of Stone.

Sometimes IIIIII...fantasiiiiiize,

When Patrice goes marching boldly

And he hits one past the goalie

It took tiiiiime, now hes subliiiiime

From the streets he once was lonely

Now he's the best Frenchman since Henry

He-came-from-Monacooooo

And now he's found his hooooome

redrus

There are many United players that i will unfortunately confess to being truly exceptional players.

However, Evra is <deleted> and not worthy of his own song. IMO :o:D

Your opinion is duly noted and, disregarded....! :D:D

redrus

There are many United players that i will unfortunately confess to being truly exceptional players.

However, Evra is <deleted> and not worthy of his own song. IMO :D:D

At least this time, it was noted :o

However, Evra is <deleted> and not worthy of his own song. IMO :D:D

At least this time, it was noted :o

SShhhuruppp....! :D

redrus

Ian Holloway on Ronaldo

"Manchester United were awesome - to go to Roma and do that is something special.

Everything Cristiano Ronaldo is touching is turning to gold at the moment. As they say in the trade - he's on fire!

I see the Roma people said he was a very good player, but was arrogant and big-headed. What do you expect him to be?! You've got to have belief, haven't you?

I thought he was the difference between the two teams. At the moment I'd have to say he's the best player in the world, with Fernando Torres a very close second.

There was something in the papers about Ronaldo having his teeth done and waxing his chest - well you can wax whatever you like when you're as good as that!

Next thing you know he'll be setting a trend by waxing one half of his head - everyone would be doing it. I've beaten him to it, though - I've waxed both sides of mine!

The kid makes you sick. He looks the part, he walks the part, he is the part. He's six-foot something, fit as a flea, good-looking - he's got to have something wrong with him.

Hopefully he's hung like a hamster! That would make us all feel better!"

:o

redrus

Ollie is class, love some of the stuff he comes out with. Top guy as well.

You know, I reckon between Holloway, Ron Atkinson and Chris Kamara, there's a right stand up show....! :o

redrus

Ian Holloway on Ronaldo

"Manchester United were awesome - to go to Roma and do that is something special.

Everything Cristiano Ronaldo is touching is turning to gold at the moment. As they say in the trade - he's on fire!

I see the Roma people said he was a very good player, but was arrogant and big-headed. What do you expect him to be?! You've got to have belief, haven't you?

I thought he was the difference between the two teams. At the moment I'd have to say he's the best player in the world, with Fernando Torres a very close second.

There was something in the papers about Ronaldo having his teeth done and waxing his chest - well you can wax whatever you like when you're as good as that!

Next thing you know he'll be setting a trend by waxing one half of his head - everyone would be doing it. I've beaten him to it, though - I've waxed both sides of mine!

The kid makes you sick. He looks the part, he walks the part, he is the part. He's six-foot something, fit as a flea, good-looking - he's got to have something wrong with him.

Hopefully he's hung like a hamster! That would make us all feel better!"

:o

redrus

I liked that :D .

Ollie is class, love some of the stuff he comes out with. Top guy as well.

You know, I reckon between Holloway, Ron Atkinson and Chris Kamara, there's a right stand up show....! :o

redrus

Mate, they would be great; The Dream Team, but sadly we always get the watered down version. <deleted>, tomorrow means we get Somchai and Sparky, and if that ain't bad enough we have to put up with Paul Spacefield for the rest of the week on ESPN. It's good living here, but thats one of the drawbacks. :D Thankfully Jimmy Hill isn't available here.

Not happy, but could have been worse. Boro played well and could have won the game. Nice weather, makes me thankful to be living here. :D

Looks like this is going to go rught down to the wire. Utd to wreck Chelseas home record on the 26th :o

Lets think positive......still 3 points clear and with a better goal difference.

Just hope Ferdinands injury is not too serious......dont want a repeat of last season with him and Vidic out :o

Might be worth giving Pique his chance now ?

Just beat Roma on aggregate and Arsenal this weekend then the injury situation might have cleared up.