Manchester United

redrus

Carlos Tevez' 88th minute header rescued a point for United who dominated against Blackburn but found Rovers keeper,Brad Freidel in outstanding form.

An important point for United who are now three points clear,and with a better goal difference,of Chelsea who they play next weekend.

The Chelsea clash is sandwiched between two Champions League semi finals against Barcelona......exciting times !

And Vidic was back yesterday....a big bonus,although United didnt win.

I see that Spud Rooney was back to his snarling,nasty, despicable self."Ronaldo isn't playing with his usual smile on his face,why is that?"enquired the commentator.Couldn't be something to do with the fact that Man Utd. were losing for the best part of the game ,could it?Anyway,its your title to lose now but are there anymore surprises in store?

I see that Spud Rooney was back to his snarling,nasty, despicable self."Ronaldo isn't playing with his usual smile on his face,why is that?"enquired the commentator.Couldn't be something to do with the fact that Man Utd. were losing for the best part of the game ,could it?Anyway,its your title to lose now but are there anymore surprises in store?

That spud Rooney? snarling despicable best?. Ronaldo plays not so well for 2 games out of a 60+ season, get over yourself...! :o

Two nailed on penalties turned down and the goalkeeping performance of the season ensured we didn't win by 4. :D

Get the stick out of your arse you miserable ABU <deleted>....! :D

redrus

That spud Rooney? snarling despicable best?. Ronaldo plays not so well for 2 games out of a 60+ season, get over yourself...! :o

Two nailed on penalties turned down and the goalkeeping performance of the season ensured we didn't win by 4. :D

Get the stick out of your arse you miserable ABU <deleted>....! :D

redrus

If your talking about the "nailed on"Rooney penalty,well,he would have got the Oscar for that one.That was a laugh and a half.What about the Roberts penalty at the other end?I've seen those given more often than not.Brad Friedal made some great saves because he's a terrific keeper and thats his job.All I keep hearing about is how Rooney has matured into a "sensible human being,helps old ladies across the street etc." but,when things don't go his own way,he's looking for someone else to take it out on.If it isn't the referee then its delivering thigh high tackles from behind.Ronaldo's the same."Always plays with a smile on his face" I hear the judges say.When his side's not winning he doesn't.All this stick out of your arse,<deleted>.Whats that all about?It's easy to throw insults when you can't respond constructively.

Because you're not posting anything worth listening too or discussing. You're posting in a United thread, you're not a United fan I don't mind that but, you're just looking for a rise, then having a go at me for not giving you any intellectual stimulation.

To go about this, you're slagging off the two of the best players in the world at present, just because you don't like them. Laughable. Top of the PL and in the semi's of the CL, thanks in large part to those two and, lets be honest here, Rooney is no Julian Dicks is he....!

Slagging off players is constructive now is it...! That spud Rooney wouldn't make it your first team eh....! :D

Who in the chuffin world plays with a smile on their face when they're losing, you.? Oddball, not Oldgit....!

Miss the blatant handball did you, give Wenger his eyes back, ABU's see what ABU's want to...? :o

redrus

Anyway, back to reality............ :o

Blackburn Rovers 1 Manchester United 1

by Footymad

Match report for the away draw in the evening clash with Blackburn Rovers

Carlos Tevez scored a crucial late leveller for Manchester United in an enthralling encounter at Ewood Park.

Roque Santa Cruz had fired Blackburn in front with his 20th goal of the campaign midway through the first half.

But Manchester United's own South American striker rescued a point with just two minutes left on the clock, after goalkeeper Brad Friedel had pulled off a string of sensational saves.

Rovers boss Mark Hughes decided to stick with the same side that suffered a 3-1 defeat at Liverpool six days earlier, while United manager Sir Alex Ferguson made four changes to the side that had secured a crucial victory over Arsenal.

Tomasz Kuszczak replaced the injured Edwin Van der Sar in goal, Nemanja Vidic returned to the side following a spell on the sidelines, while Ryan Giggs and Tevez were both given the nod.

There was early controversy, as Rovers were denied what appeared to be a stonewall penalty with less than five minutes on the clock.

After a mistake by Paul Scholes, Santa Cruz's shot deflected into the path of Jason Roberts. The Grenada international was taken out by Kuszczak, but referee Rob Styles remained unmoved.

Meanwhile, at the other end of the pitch, Cristiano Ronaldo's left-foot strike ricocheted off Ryan Nelsen, but Friedel just got back to claim the ball on the line.

Five minutes later, Michael Carrick found Wayne Rooney in space, the England man centred for Tevez, but Chris Samba made a vital block.

And it proved to be a vital incident as, just past the 20-minute mark, Rovers took a deserved lead. From Morten Gamst Pedersen's long throw, Rio Ferdinand and Vidic got in each other's way and Santa Cruz supplied a cool right-foot finish from ten yards.

As the half-hour mark approached, Ronaldo fired a tame free-kick straight at Friedel, before David Bentley unleashed a stinging shot from fully 25 yards, which Kuszczak had to tip over the bar.

On 37 minutes, United felt they should have been awarded a penalty when Steven Reid appeared to catch Rooney with a wild lunge inside the box, but again the man in the middle waved play on and, six minutes later, Ronaldo's goal-bound header was kept out by Friedel.

Eager for a better showing in the second half, United brought on Nani for Giggs at the break but, in the blustery conditions, neither side was really able to stamp their authority on the game.

On 64 minutes, Reid's poor headed clearance went straight to Ronaldo, but the Portuguese superstar struck the outside of Friedel's far post with a long-range left-foot shot.

Three minutes later, Santa Cruz headed narrowly over the bar from Stephen Warnock's deep free-kick and, seven minutes later, Pedersen came within a whisker of doubling Rovers' advantage after a superb solo run.

Desperate to break the deadlock, Ferguson switched Rooney out to the left and it almost paid an immediate reward. But the visitors came up against a goalkeeper in inspired form.

Friedel twice came to Rovers' rescue on 79 minutes, first from Rooney and then sensationally from Tevez. The big American then denied Rooney in a one-on-one, before keeping out substitute John O'Shea at the back post.

But from the resulting corner, United snatched an equaliser. Nani swung it in, Scholes flicked on and Tevez headed home from close range.

Vidic eyes Bridge success

United defender keen to end Blues' 80-match unbeaten run

20th April 2008-Sky Sports.

Nemanja Vidic is backing his Manchester United team-mates to break Chelsea's unbeaten home record.

United travel to Stamford Bridge this coming Saturday, a game that can be seen live on Sky Sports 1, looking to claim a victory that would all-but end The Blues' challenge for the title.

Chelsea are unbeaten in 80 Premier League games at home, but Vidic is confident Sir Alex Ferguson's men can claim a historic triumph when the duo go head-to-head.

"We still have three games we need to win," he said. "I think we are able to do that - we want to be champions.

"We have got to think about winning at Chelsea. I know they haven't lost there for about 100 games, but it could be like that. Records are there to be broken."

A point gained

On Saturday's 1-1 draw at Blackburn Rovers, Vidic added: "It is a tough game when you play Blackburn away. We conceded a goal but after that we believed we could score and could win the game.

"We tried hard. It is not the best performance but it is a good result. It is a big point. We were losing 1-0 and I think we need to be happy."

Hughes-Ronaldo at right club

United Talk Forum

Mark Hughes,the Blackburn manager has come out and said that Ronaldo will be making a mistake if he decides to leave United for any other team.

Ronaldo has done a wonderful job at United this season.He broke Beorge Best's record for the most goals in a season by a winger for United.He has stuck fear in the hearsts of all teams who United has played against.

Hughes also said that Ronaldo is one of the best players in the world and Ronaldo should be happy at being in one of the top teams in it-

"I think the Premier League is the hardest league in world football and Ronaldo is playing with the top club in it," Hughes said in the Daily Star.

"Why would he leave it? There is absolutely no reason to do so because everything is there for him.

"He is a top player in the top club in the top league, so there is no reason to leave.

"Barcelona, for instance, is a fantastic club and has the standing in world football that United has.

"But I don't see Barca as a top club at the moment."

Hope Ronaldo hears what Hughes has to say!!

Nani skill, excellent nutmeg versus Blackburn link and another penalty....?

redrus

Edited by redrus

Because you're not posting anything worth listening too or discussing. You're posting in a United thread, you're not a United fan I don't mind that but, you're just looking for a rise, then having a go at me for not giving you any intellectual stimulation.

To go about this, you're slagging off the two of the best players in the world at present, just because you don't like them. Laughable. Top of the PL and in the semi's of the CL, thanks in large part to those two and, lets be honest here, Rooney is no Julian Dicks is he....!

Slagging off players is constructive now is it...! That spud Rooney wouldn't make it your first team eh....! :D

Who in the chuffin world plays with a smile on their face when they're losing, you.? Oddball, not Oldgit....!

Miss the blatant handball did you, give Wenger his eyes back, ABU's see what ABU's want to...? :o

"Interlectual stimulation" was hardly what I was looking for from you ,mate!Intelligent discussion?O.K.Isn't that what this forums for?In the hope I'm not wasting my time,here goes.

As you should have noticed on previous threads,I support Chelsea the CLUB.Generally,I haven't got much time for players,whoever they play for,because they come and go and half of them couldn't give a shit.The difference between you and me is that I'm critical of players in the Chelsea team when they play badly or cause a problem on the pitch, for example, the Ashley Cole episode.Not once did I try to protect his actions and coated him like the rest of you.Now, you can't seem to accept criticism about anything to do Man. Utd.You're right,I don't like Rooney as a person because he's got a spiteful streak which manifests itself when things don't go his way,as seen against Blackburn.As it happens,I thought he played well and was definitely one of your better players.So why did he lose his rag?As a player, he's very good and any Premiership club would want him but to call him the second best player in the world is stretching it.In fact, I don't KNOW who are the best or second best players in the world because I've no knowledge of the Sth. American scene.Do you? Ronaldo's attitude also needs to be analysed.His 'show pony' act when United are in the ascendency and his postering after scoring a goal,is nauseating(he's not alone in that respect).I found it especially distasteful when he scored from a free kick which he slid under under the wall(Ronaldinho did it first,by the way).He,Rooney and a couple of other players then took the piss by leaping up and down apeing the other teams attempts to block what they thought to be a shot in the top corner.It was a throw back to the Revie's Leeds team of the late 60's.The F.a. should have brought a charge of bringing the game into disrepute because it was a clenched fist shuffle to his fellow professionals.Remember,kids are watching this crap and see these people as role models.The most overused phrase this season is"Look at Aderbayor/Ronaldo,he ALWAYS plays with a smile on his face!"Had a look at Aderbayor's face lately?Long as a kite.Ronaldo,as a player,is exceptional and I see him as the difference(other than our appaling luck with injuries) between our teams this season.

redrus

Can't see what all the fuss is about. A point at Blacburn is a good result. It has proven to be a difficult fixture for UNited over the years, and nicking one at the end show the right spirit in the team. Friedel as usual was insprired, and has to be the most under rated keeper in the Premeirship. One can only wonder why Liverpool let him go all those years ago.

Anyway, should be a great game on Saturday, and I'm sure will be enjoyable wayching it with the Bangkok guys. Its our title to lose, and Chelsea can not afford to make any mistakes at all.

Can't see what all the fuss is about. A point at Blacburn is a good result. It has proven to be a difficult fixture for UNited over the years, and nicking one at the end show the right spirit in the team. Friedel as usual was insprired, and has to be the most under rated keeper in the Premeirship. One can only wonder why Liverpool let him go all those years ago.

Anyway, should be a great game on Saturday, and I'm sure will be enjoyable wayching it with the Bangkok guys. Its our title to lose, and Chelsea can not afford to make any mistakes at all.

I agree with all of the above and look forward to seein Mr Toad etc on Sat - should be a great game AND even Seapok invited :o

BT

I can't even be arsed reading the whole post, the word paragraph springs to mind for some reason.... :o

I can criticise any players including my own. I will not slag them off when they wear our shirt....!

redrus

Barcelona 0 Manchester United 0......a good result for United which would have been even better but for Ronaldo's second minute penalty miss.

Although United made a bright start they were under the cosh for most of the match,although Barcelona's attack wasnt that threatening.

Although United did OK in the first half,in the second they could hardly string two passes together.The attack was non existent in the second 45 minutes bar one effort from Carrick......has Rooney ever had a quieter game ?

But some great defensive performances,particularily from Ferdinand,Hargreaves and Evra.

And its the result that counts....I think most of us would have settled for this scoreline before the match started.

Sets everything up nicely for the Chelsea match this weekend :o

I think any disappointment at the missed penalty should have been erased by the penalty that would have been nailed on had Eto gone down in the box - amazing that he stayed on his feet. Of course there was the Ronaldo incident when he was barged off the ball in the box, but not quite as clear cut i think.

And speaking of staying on feet, i was sad to see that Ronaldo was a bit jelly legged. Not quite in the Drogba class, but certainly a few theatrics thrown in for good measure. He doesn't need that to his game.

Solid if unspectacular, but a great improvement on the capitulation away in Milan last season. The team has more balance and bite in midfield, which it didn't at the end of last season. I think if we had been offered a 0-0 at the beginning we would hvae been happy. I think Utd will win by two clear at OT next week.

Hopefully Vidic will be recovered for Saturday, think Fergie is throwing out a few red herrings about Vidic not being fit. Looking forward to United taking Chelsea's home record and the title.

I ****** hate it when Fergie ballses round with the team like that.

Rooney on the left..., Tevez ended up in centre midfield and Ronaldo up on his own.... :o:D :D

4-4-2,

VDS

Hargreaves, Brown, Rio, Evra.

Ronaldo, ANDERSON, Scholes, Giggs.

Tevez, Rooney.

Is how the team sheet should've read at the start last night. They were there for the beating....!

redrus

Fergie Pleased With Draw

Thursday, 24th April 2008

Sir Alex Ferguson admitted to being pleased with the away draw in the 1st leg semi final clash against Barcelona.

The game at the Nou Camp ended goalless although it could have been so different but for a missed penalty by Christiano Ronaldo just 90 seconds into the tie.

"When you get the result, you have to look at the plus points and there were some plus points," Fergie said.

"Nil-nil in the Nou Camp is not a bad result.

"We sealed off the areas where teams don't normally do well against Barcelona. They didn't make a lot of chances.

"Going to Old Trafford at 0-0, we have a marvellous chance.

"On the negative side, we should have done better with possession. We had opportunities to counter-attack but gave the ball away too easily.

"The way they play they always have an extra man in midfield so possession is always going to be in their favour.

"You have to show patience and quality and Barcelona have that, but we had the answers.

"At Old Trafford we have to impose ourselves more and I think we will."

Match Photo's.

redrus

Fergie Hopeful Of Vidic Return

Friday, 25th April 2008

Sir Alex Ferguson is hoping to have Nemanja Vidic back for the match against Chelsea this weekend.

The United centre-back was forced to sit out the Champions League 1st leg draw in Barcelona on Wednesday night due to a stomach complaint but Fergie expects him to have recovered in time for the game at Stamford Bridge on Saturday.

"Vidic will hopefully be okay," Ferguson told the club's official website.

"He has trained this morning.

"We are hopeful he will be fit. He has a good chance.

"We dealt with the virus right away. We got him to the hospital quickly. We hope he is going to be alright."

redrus

You have too many Man Utd fans as friends.. :o

BT

haha. thats more true than you realise. my best friend from Uni days is a ManU fan :D I suppose fortunately, over the past 10 years we have spent more time in different countries rather than the same, and hence have not had to watch the games together :D

maybe thats why we still manage to be friends? :D

ok

as a non neutral who'd love to see nothing more than BOTH those teams LOSE

I do have to say .. was a good game. very charged. all that tension. all those penalties. gee.

controversies. was that or was that not a handball. the commentators debated. my flatmate and I debated. as Im sure so will million of ManU fans.

and there were moments towards end of game where I felt ManU deserved better. Im becoming soft. might have something to do with you guys facing the same tough luck in this game as Arsenal seems to have done a lot in recent games?

and mygosh, that Drogba and Ballack display. what was that about. Ill take this up in the Chelski thread. see what those fans have to say :o

stay tuned.

Young lady,

I watched this game live and I have to say if that was a penalty then George Bush is an Islamic Fundamentalist !

Alan Wiley....absolute shocker today as the ref.

That said,until Carvalho's piece of exceptional brilliance I thought there was no way back in the game for United.

But 2 games left,United still in the driving seat for Premiership & Champions League double.

Keep the faith guys......5 changes today !

you didnt quite ask me what I thought.

jumping to conclusions are we :D

if you read my post carefully, you should get some clues. but anyhow. Ive been on this thread far too often for my liking in a day :o

ADDITION: I had to come back to say....was watching the after game analysis of West Ham vs Newcastle, when they said some news came in from chelski ground. something about ManU players refusing to leave field and there was 'a bit of a scuffle', then they went on to show a pic. looked like a full on fight in the pic :D

whats going on boys. i might have to take back my words about tonight being a good game.

Edited by MiG16

you didnt quite ask me what I thought.

jumping to conclusions are we :D

if you read my post carefully, you should get some clues. but anyhow. Ive been on this thread far too often for my liking in a day :o

ADDITION: I had to come back to say....was watching the after game analysis of West Ham vs Newcastle, when they said some news came in from chelski ground. something about ManU players refusing to leave field and there was 'a bit of a scuffle', then they went on to show a pic. looked like a full on fight in the pic :D

whats going on boys. i might have to take back my words about tonight being a good game.

MIG16,

Yeah,sorry,have to admit I didnt read your post carefully enough :D

My excuse was the 5 large bottles of Beer Chang consumed ! :D

I think that the scuffle involved United players not in the team....Evra,Scholes etc.who were warming down and were asked to move by the Chelsea stewards.

But thinking about this result in the cold light of day.....

United have the easier two games remaining & Chelsea might have tired themselves out,which could be good news for Liverpool next week !

It's still ours to lose, so we just need to go out and win those remaining games. Dissapointed, as I think we deserved a point, and I feel that the ref bottled it. In the end though it makes a great end to the season.

Two good teams fighting it out to the very end, great stuff.

Testimonial tribute for Ole.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s Testimonial Committee are delighted to announce they have agreed in principle with Manchester United that a testimonial match for the Norwegian against Spanish side Espanyol will be played at Old Trafford on Saturday 2 August 2008.

Testimonial tribute for Ole.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s Testimonial Committee are delighted to announce they have agreed in principle with Manchester United that a testimonial match for the Norwegian against Spanish side Espanyol will be played at Old Trafford on Saturday 2 August 2008.

Couldn't be a more deserving ex-player. A great servant and role model, as well as a fantastic player.

Cracking first half. Brilliant goal from Scholes, but United need to be careful 2nd half about leaving gaps in behind the back, esp on the Left side as Messi keeps getting in.

It's going to be agony, unless we can an early goal in the 2nd half.

Cracking first half. Brilliant goal from Scholes, but United need to be careful 2nd half about leaving gaps in behind the back, esp on the Left side as Messi keeps getting in.

It's going to be agony, unless we can an early goal in the 2nd half.

We didn't and I have no nails but what a game WELL DONE MAN U... :o

Roll on the Final - pity I am in air at time :D

see you soon Mr Toad

BT

Man Utd 1-0 Barcelona (agg 1-0)

By Phil McNulty

Paul Scholes' spectacular strike sent Manchester United into their first Champions League final for nine years on a night of Old Trafford tension.

Scholes rifled in a spectacular 25-yard effort after 14 minutes to beat Barcelona and set up an all-English clash with Chelsea or Liverpool.

Barcelona dominated possession for long periods, with Deco twice close and Thierry Henry wasting a late chance.

But United mounted a rearguard action to seal a date in Moscow on 21 May.

There is added poignancy and significance in the victory and United's appearance in the final, coming 50 years after the Munich air crash.

United were dealt a double blow before kick-off when Wayne Rooney's hip injury ruled him out and Nemanja Vidic was sidelined by the concussion he sustained at Chelsea.

And United almost made a nightmare start when Scholes tripped Lionel Messi as he raced into the area - there was only inches in it and fortunately for the home side German referee Herbert Fandel got the big call right and gave a free-kick.

It took United time to settle, but Scholes eased their nerves with a thunderous strike to give them the lead in the 14th minute.

Gianluca Zambrotta's wayward clearance landed at Scholes' feet, and he delivered a trademark rising drive from 25 yards that flew high into the net beyond the outstretched hands of Barcelona keeper Victor Valdes.

Messi was the real danger man for Barcelona, and he ended a slalom run with a left-foot shot that was turned away by United keeper Edwin van der Sar.

United had chances of their own, with Ji-Sung-Park side-footing just wide, but Barcelona regained their composure to enjoy a period of superiority, with Deco twice narrowly off target.

Nani, preferred to Ryan Giggs, wasted a chance to grab the priceless second goal three minutes before the interval when he glanced Park's cross wide from eight yards.

Barcelona began the second half with a spell of possession, but it was United who carved out a clear opportunity as Valdes blocked Tevez's close-range drive after 56 minutes.

The Catalans made a change on the hour, sending on former Arsenal striker Thierry Henry for Andres Iniesta.

Barcelona, inspired by the brilliant Messi, had United penned back, but they were being resisted by defensive discipline and resilience of the highest class from a side normally noted for their attacking verve.

United attempted to stem the tide with 13 minutes left by making a double change, with Ryan Giggs and Darren Fletcher replacing Nani and Scholes.

Henry almost returned to haunt United with a point-blank header from from Xavi's corner that was gratefully clutched by Van der Sar.

Barcelona weaved pretty patterns in the closing stages, but United's defence - superbly marshalled by Rio Ferdinand and Wes Brown - stood firm to spark wild scenes of celebration at the final whistle.